JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

FDA advisory panel rejects widespread Pfizer booster shot

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 904 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Is the covid booster more of a political than medical need?  Why else would this be a "blow" to the White House? 

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/fda-committee-meets-friday-to-decide-on-covid-boosters/507-07fec90b-d5ba-47bd-ad9a-26183a0fa673

WASHINGTON — Dealing the White House a stinging setback, a government advisory panel overwhelmingly rejected a plan Friday to give Pfizer COVID-19 booster shots across the board, and instead endorsed the extra vaccine dose only for those who are 65 or older or run a high risk of severe disease.

The twin votes represented a heavy blow to the Biden administration's sweeping effort, announced a month ago, to shore up nearly all Americans' protection amid the spread of the highly contagious delta variant.

16 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Is the covid booster more of a political than medical need?  Why else would this be a "blow" to the White House? 

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/fda-committee-meets-friday-to-decide-on-covid-boosters/507-07fec90b-d5ba-47bd-ad9a-26183a0fa673

WASHINGTON — Dealing the White House a stinging setback, a government advisory panel overwhelmingly rejected a plan Friday to give Pfizer COVID-19 booster shots across the board, and instead endorsed the extra vaccine dose only for those who are 65 or older or run a high risk of severe disease.

The twin votes represented a heavy blow to the Biden administration's sweeping effort, announced a month ago, to shore up nearly all Americans' protection amid the spread of the highly contagious delta variant.

It seems that the older age groups are being shown to be losing the effectiveness of the vaccinations after about 6 months, which is why some governments are recommending booster jabs for the over 50's, and vulnerable groups.

Here in the UK we will be having either one dose of Pfizer, or half of Moderna (I assume Moderna was a single jab one?) irrespective of what manufacturer was used the first time. In my case I was given the Astra Zeneca vaccine, but this won't be used in boosters.

On Monday I'm booked in for my Shingles jab, the week after my flu jab, and quite likely within a few more weeks, my covid booster vaccination. Isn't life fun. 😅

• 3 weeks later...

I am waiting for them to offer the Moderna booster, because that was what I got for my vaccine shots.  I haven't read anything about whether or not it is healthy to mix them up, though Pfizer is getting a lot more news time because its booster was ready sooner than the others.

Edited by rbrown1205

4 hours ago, rbrown1205 said:

I am waiting for them to offer the Moderna booster, because that was what I got for my vaccine shots.  I haven't read anything about whether or not it is healthy to mix them up, though Pfizer is getting a lot more news time because its booster was ready sooner than the others.

I know someone who had pfizer 1st 2 shots 6 months ago. She decided to go for moderna for the booster. No side effects for the past 3 days.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2021-06-20/is-mixing-vaccines-more-effective

The gist is this: Different types of vaccines boost the immune system in different ways, so multiple vaccines provide broader coverage. 

Early research has suggested that such an approach may be an effective strategy with Covid-19.

A study of nearly 700 people in Spain showed that people who got a second dose of Pfizer’s vaccine after a first dose from AstraZeneca saw their neutralizing antibodies climb sevenfold—a far more robust immune response than in those who had two Astra doses. Another small trial suggested that mixing the two vaccines triggered antibody responses about four times higher than just two doses of Pfizer’s shot. 

Pfizer and Moderna use a new technology called messenger RNA, which spurs healthy cells to produce viral proteins that stimulate a potent immune response. The AstraZenca vaccine employs a chimpanzee adenovirus to help the immune system identify and battle the coronavirus, while Sinovac uses an inactivated virus to ward off infection.

Spoiler

chimpanzee-derived adenoviral vectors as vaccines

image.png.1c799752595229d015207591225cc96f.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now they're advocating for the immunocompromised to get a 2nd booster. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna3933

That's 4 shots in less than a year for many. And remember, the 1st booster was supposed to be just for immunocompromised, yet now they're saying the booster might be a requirement to be considered fully vaccinated. I've been seeing a shift in reporting where they refer to people who only had 2 shots as being double vaccinated instead of fully vaccinated. 

Does anyone know how Bethel is handling boosters right now? 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/02/health/covid-19-vaccine-children-acip/index.html

5- to 11-year-olds can now get a Covid-19 vaccine in the US

I told my grandson today that I would give him $50 to get his covid shot, so 2x = $100

He said " I'm getting a bunch of those!   🤑 😂