JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

$60,000 Fine

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 919 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

8 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

I wonder does the officials have anything else better to do? https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-fed-bears-180-eggs-155353125.html

I think they were doing the job they were paid for. We live in bear country and I can't help but wonder if someone is putting out food which is bringing a bear into our yard. We have been here 15 years with no bear sign, but now the bear pays a visit about once a week

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

We live pretty rural. Had some dry dog food stored in a metal garbage can. The can was tipped over, and the food all over the yard. Curious. It happened again. We knew it had to be a bear. And, it was not afraid of the dogs. Big dogs. 
We have apple trees all over the place, and plenty of Himalaya blackberries. And we wanted dog food. It got so I could not come home if Sid wasn’t here. 
Plus there were bears downriver that were breaking into peoples houses. If a big ol brown bear wants in your house, or even car, it’s his call. And he can’t be stopped. 

We decided the bear had to go. In the big way. A head shot, and he went down. Then we had to get him in the truck, to be hauled off. He was big. We did it.

We figure he had been dumped here, after he’d made himself a nuisance somewhere, and was used of being fed. It can be scary, and, even dangerous. 

Poor bear. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

A better question would be, "Doesn't that woman have anything better to do with her time and money?" What she was doing was dangerous for her, her neighbors and the bears!

Feeding wild animals is no joke - as the article goes on to mention:

“Illegally feeding or placing attractants to lure dangerous wildlife, such as bears, is an extremely dangerous activity,” Conservation Officer Service Sgt. Simon Gravel said on Facebook. “Once bears learn to associate humans with food, it creates a public safety risk.”

The same could be said for feeding alligators ... you don't really want them visiting and looking for food.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

17 hours ago, Old said:

I think they were doing the job they were paid for. We live in bear country and I can't help but wonder if someone is putting out food which is bringing a bear into our yard. We have been here 15 years with no bear sign, but now the bear pays a visit about once a week

7 hours ago, Qapla said:

A better question would be, "Doesn't that woman have anything better to do with her time and money?" What she was doing was dangerous for her, her neighbors and the bears!

Feeding wild animals is no joke - as the article goes on to mention:

“Illegally feeding or placing attractants to lure dangerous wildlife, such as bears, is an extremely dangerous activity,” Conservation Officer Service Sgt. Simon Gravel said on Facebook. “Once bears learn to associate humans with food, it creates a public safety risk.”

The same could be said for feeding alligators ... you don't really want them visiting and looking for food.

The lady was trying to do good. I would think the officials should seen this. Maybe, should got a slap on her hands, but not a $60,000 fine. I was told that my great grand father who was an Indian was moon shinning in Canada ending up  having a shoot out with the officials. I do not not think he was another Al Capone. A simple conversation or maybe more with my G grandfather might avoid shooting. So, with these 2 events would have me think that "Do the officials have something else better to do instead getting after those committing so called petty crimes?

Encouraging bears to invade a neighborhood and break into people's homes is not a "petty crime". Once the bear(s) have been conditioned to being fed by a human they cannot be broken of it. Anyone who knows about bears should know that.

Not only do the human fed bear(s) present a real danger to humans, including the bear lethally attacking people, the bear(s) must be destroyed - simply telling her to stop and her ceasing to feed them does not make the problem go away. The bear(s) must be trapped and destroyed before someone gets killed in a bear attack because the food she was providing them stopped being available ... the bear(s) will go looking for it in the area - not just return to the woods and quit coming around.

This woman was definitely NOT doing good - most people who live in bear country know that feeding bears is dangerous and illegal. What she was doing is analogous to a driver ignoring red lights while driving causing everyone else to suffer the consequences of this one person's actions.

Edited by Qapla

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Encouraging bears to invade a neighborhood and break into people's homes is not a "petty crime". Once the bear(s) have been conditioned to being fed by a human they cannot be broken of it. Anyone who knows about bears should know that.

Not only do the human fed bear(s) present a real danger to humans, including the bear lethally attacking people, the bear(s) must be destroyed - simply telling her to stop and her ceasing to feed them does not make the problem go away. The bear(s) must be trapped and destroyed before someone gets killed in a bear attack because the food she was providing them stopped being available ... the bear(s) will go looking for it in the area - not just return to the woods and quit coming around.

This woman was definitely NOT doing good - most people who live in bear country know that feeding bears is dangerous and illegal. What she was doing is analogous to a driver ignoring red lights while driving causing everyone else to suffer the consequences of this one person's actions.

You are right on this. I know there are people in Canada commit higher crimes than this and get away with it.

There are people all over the world that commit crimes and get away with it - that doesn't mean that a woman that got caught doing something as dangerous and ill-conceived as what she did should get off with a "hand slap"

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

There are people all over the world that commit crimes and get away with it - that doesn't mean that a woman that got caught doing something as dangerous and ill-conceived as what she did should get off with a "hand slap"

A crime is a crime until it is in acted by those who want to consider a crime. Prosecutors do this all the time. 

I would have done the same because maybe this would have thought her a lesson. The way I see it, her having to pay $60,000 will most likely stop her from feeding bears and human life is worth way more than $60,000. 

It’s kind of like how I feel about drunk drivers getting a slap on the wrist… unless they have to face severe consequences, they may never learn. And human life is more important than any consequence they have to face…

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I know of a witness family that had a bear come in their house thru a window. The husband had to shoot it. They had 2 young children in the house at the time. I did some aluminum trim work on the house in that time frame.

At my own home that I was building my oldest son, a teen at the time, who was confronted by a bear when he went to light the BBQ.  The bear also left his calling card in front of the house.:eek:. Now I know why they say you can always smell when a bear has been around.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

On 10/7/2021 at 3:21 PM, Qapla said:

And we have to remember that when authorities have to deal with situations of wild animals causing havoc in communities, it costs lots of money. Everything is expensive. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

On 10/7/2021 at 12:21 PM, Qapla said:

Not only do the human fed bear(s) present a real danger to humans, including the bear lethally attacking people, the bear(s) must be destroyed - simply telling her to stop and her ceasing to feed them does not make the problem go away. The bear(s) must be trapped and destroyed

'A fed bear is a dead bear'..

I read that somewhere and it just kinda stuck with me....