JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Covid Long Haulers : Long term Effects

https://blogs.webmd.com/my-experience/20201223/covid-19-changed-everything-3-personal-stories

Rachel Baum

Pre-pandemic, Rachel was a very active woman. 

Then she got COVID-19, and everything changed. 

“It’s been a bit more than 8 months since I first got sick. Unfortunately, these past 2 months have been worse than the initial illness back in March. I am very limited in what I can do physically. If I overdo, I pay for it relatively quickly in shortness of breath and fatigue,” Baum explains. “Being short of breath is not an apt description. I can feel it coming on, the heaviness in my chest, the knife between my shoulder blades, and then the struggle to get adequate air in."

Baum says the struggle to breathe normally goes on for 1-4 hours before it ebbs. A rescue inhaler sometimes helps, but not always. “I can't even begin to describe how scary and helpless that feeling is,” she says. “Every time it happens, I wonder if this is will be the time that I pass out and never wake up.”

These days, Baum is trying to figure out what constitutes "overdoing it” for her new reality. Doing any one thing -- like laundry -- requires lying down for an hour or more to recover. “On a good day, I might be able to do two things -- grocery shopping and one errand -- in the morning, but then I have to lie down for the afternoon. Basically, I have learned how to cope with the chronic illness that is long COVID,” Baum says.

“It doesn't take much to make me cry. I met virtually with a therapist twice. I try to keep my mind occupied so I don't think about the limitations,” Baum says. “I can't read because of the brain fog, so I knit -- a lot!  My mantra is, "I'm not dead and I'm not on a ventilator." I feel very lucky to be alive.”

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/can-covid-cause-diabetes      October 1, 2021  

Experts have found that the virus that causes COVID-19 can directly attack insulin-producing structures in the pancreas. According to the NIH director’s blog, researchers found that the virus, called SARS-CoV-2, affects the pancreas in 3 different ways.

• First, it may directly damage pancreatic beta cells, the ones that produce insulin, reducing their ability to make enough insulin to keep blood sugars controlled.
  •  
  • Second, as the virus replicates in the pancreas, it also can damage the cells that directly surround the beta cells, which are needed for proper insulin release.
  •  
  • Third, the virus also seems to reprogram surviving cells, making them malfunction, which can wreak havoc with blood sugar regulation

image.png.fa7bd7f40e409d48ec1ac50867e6fb1c.png

I have a question and it's only an idea!    Nothing concrete.

I have had the two Moderna shots and the booster.   This year my blood pressure has gone UP.  At one point it was like 193/102.  There is no change in my circumstances that I can think of.  I'm semi retired 911 dispatcher, and have been for two years.    I am trying to stop eating so much processed food, and trying to lower my cholesterol, so the Dr doesn't try to put me on statins.    I even tried acupuncture, which I think helped a little.  The acupuncturist gave me Gastrodia & Uncaria Formula to take three times a day and I think that's helping.

A friend of mine just told me this morning her blood pressure is UP and her Dr is upping her medication.  My supervisor also mentioned how high hers is now.

Anyway just a thought,  I'm probably way out in left field... I usually am (so if anyone finds me out there wandering around please leave bread crumbs so I can find my way back)  Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

Have you noticed an increase in your stress and anxiety levels?  I think most have due to the "fear, fear, fear" message the media is drilling into everyone without their even being aware of it.   I completely believe that additionally constant daily societal habit changes add to stress levels significantly as well; many things we are no longer able to auto-pilot mentally.   Major change always creates stress in the body, which can affect blood pressure if the stress is not managed with a healthy outlet  (i.e. exercising, journaling, prayer, venting/talking, etc.)

14 hours ago, Michelle81 said:

Have you noticed an increase in your stress and anxiety levels?  I think most have due to the "fear, fear, fear" message the media is drilling into everyone without their even being aware of it.   I completely believe that additionally constant daily societal habit changes add to stress levels significantly as well; many things we are no longer able to auto-pilot mentally.   Major change always creates stress in the body, which can affect blood pressure if the stress is not managed with a healthy outlet  (i.e. exercising, journaling, prayer, venting/talking, etc.)

Those are all good points, thank you.   

No I haven't really noticed a change in anything, my blood pressure is back to it's normal high. that was just the  first thought that came to mind when the acupuncturist asked the same question.       I'm still taking the supplement that he suggested, I'm actually feeling pretty good considering we live in this world, of gloom and doom.   

I do not have panic attacks and for the most part I'm usually pretty upbeat, don't get me wrong I can have my moments but I'm usually pretty happy.  

14 hours ago, Michelle81 said:

Ohhh wait, Michelle (is it)   YES!!!!     I'm jealous.   You live in the beautiful state of Florida while I'm here with snow and ice in Maine.  Hot Girl Hair Flip GIF  😘

On 12/17/2021 at 1:49 AM, Bamahrt said:

Dr doesn't try to put me on statins.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/ 6-natural-ways-to-lower-blood-pressure/  June 14, 2019

“Blood pressure management is 70% lifestyle and 30% medications. If you don’t make lifestyle changes, don’t bother taking blood pressure medications, because they won’t work effectively,” says preventive cardiologist Luke Laffin, MD.

1. Eat less salt

Spoiler

image.png.689bc9c6e2d66943f195c7be0077873d.png

It is important to eat a diet that high in antioxidants :

• wild caught salmon, grass fed beef,
  •  good fats found in avocadoes, salads using extra virgin olive oil (high grade kind that needs to be refrigerated/kept at cold temperature),
  • fruits high in antioxidants : berries, brightly colored fruits
  • nuts, honey (moderate portions.)
  • oat bran (eaten cold or with porridge/cereal drinks)

Oxidative stress and hypertension: Possibility of hypertension therapy with antioxidants