JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dark mode on jw.org

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 842 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

59 minutes ago, Musky said:

On my android phone, the dark mode is coming from my browser, Chrome. I go into "settings" and choose "theme" and there choices for "light or dark" or "system default"

When I set it for "dark" any website that can be rendered to a dark mode is displayed that way.

I can't see any theme choices on jw.org itself.

I have my Chrome browser set to dark mode as well! Good to know why jw org was dark when I followed the link posted here..looked at jw org setting and it said "system".. Cool! Thanks!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

14 hours ago, jwhess said:

The default setting on JW.ORG is your SYSTEM setting.  So if you use Dark Mode on your phone it will automatically be the setting on the website.  The 3 choices are System, Light and Dark.  System is the automatic default. You can choose any one of the three.

But is that only because they are all synced? I  always try to sync everything together so I can get the same messages on all my devices, but for some reason many times it shuts off on it's own. I don't know what makes that happen but after re-syncing them and it happening again, I finally gave up but I think that may interfere with the System part working..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

1 hour ago, Dove said:

But is that only because they are all synced? I  always try to sync everything together so I can get the same messages on all my devices, but for some reason many times it shuts off on it's own. I don't know what makes that happen but after re-syncing them and it happening again, I finally gave up but I think that may interfere with the System part working..

Sr. Sandra, I am not sure what your question is.  The answer you quote above was my point to Br. Mike that the reason he experienced the JW.ORG in dark mode even though he did not do anything to the settings in JW.ORG was because he had already set his phone or tablet to the dark mode on them. 

So if you had a Samsung phone set to dark mode, and you used your browser to go to JW.ORG, it would automatically display in dark mode the very next time you went there.  This is because our brothers made the appearance settings to default to whatever your device settings are.  A week ago, before the appearance settings options, if I went to JW.ORG using my Ipad device...our website would be in normal "light" mode in regular colors.  This was automatic no matter what settings my Ipad had.  But now, if my device is in darkmode, then JW,ORG will be in dark mode automatically (unless you go and change the settings).

I am not sure that this has anything to do with "syncing".  It happens across all of my devices in Windows 10, IOS 15 and my Android 8 equipment.  Other than maybe my email, none of them are synced.

Edited by jwhess

3 hours ago, Musky said:

On my android phone, the dark mode is coming from my browser, Chrome. I go into "settings" and choose "theme" and there choices for "light or dark" or "system default"

When I set it for "dark" any website that can be rendered to a dark mode is displayed that way.

Same here. I use Opera browser on my Android tablet. If I set it to Night Mode, all websites, including JW.org and all the others, appear in dark mode.

To answer the question:

My Android phone has been in dark mode for some time now. All websites are in dark mode since that is how the browser is set. I use a PC running Windows at home. When I do a Google search on my PC, the next time I bring up the search i=on my phone it gives me the same suggestions I get on my PC as I start to type in.  If I enter an address on my PC to locate some place I need to go on my PC, my phone will have that info so I can use it to direct me there when I am in my truck ... they are synced (as you said)

However, even though they have been synced for quite some time and my phone has been in dark mode - I had to select dark mode on jw.org on my PC because I do not have my PC set to dark mode (I don't like the way Windows presented dark mode on my PC)

So, the answer would seem to be that, NO, light and/or dark mode is not "synced" across devices.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~