JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dark mode on jw.org

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 816 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Dear Brothers, A few moments ago as I was browsing our jw.org site in the "What's New?" I saw the News Alert of the release of our brothers Sergej Britvin and Vadim Levčuk. Opening the article and then clicking on the link of their names brings to the article "Brothers Sergey Britvin and Vadim Levchuk Remain Steadfast Despite Losing Appeal" the page is opened in Dark Mode.
This also happens when the words "Sorry, the page you are looking for cannot be found." On no other page is dark mode displayed.

Does it happen only to me or is it a news
of the site that is introduced gradually?

8EDE9109-A98D-4BBE-8E4E-65AD782D72E9.png

F4855FCE-61A0-47F3-A541-6D44FAC30AC8.jpeg

The page for the video "Was it designed? The Monarch butterfly's Migration" & 2021 Service year report are on dark mode.

Below each article, you can choose the appearance settings. I think this feature is only available on newly published articles/video's for now. ea792fab13f302b2c231b7a941ee1723.jpg

Sent from my RMX1971 using Tapatalk

This may explain what you are experiencing.

New Appearance Settings Available on JW.ORG

DECEMBER 30, 2021
GLOBAL NEWS

A recent update to jw.org includes a highly requested feature. You can now choose between a light or dark appearance.

The dark appearance setting (also called dark mode, dark theme, or night mode) presents light-colored text and graphics on a dark background. Some users prefer this setting because the screen is less bright. This may help reduce eyestrain, especially at night or in other low-light environments. It may also be helpful to users with limited vision or sensitivity to bright light.

"These new options are not yet available in the JW Library app, but will be added in the future. We thank Jehovah for the continual improvements to our digital tools that help us access an abundance of spiritual food."

👍

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Nice, and I love that it’s an actual, proper dark theme. Not a gray theme, but an actual black theme, no shades. That’s how a dark theme should be made.

1 hour ago, Karlo Esteban said:

Below each article, you can choose the appearance settings. I think this feature is only available on newly published articles/video's for now. ea792fab13f302b2c231b7a941ee1723.jpg

The setting works all across the website, not just a few specific articles. If you notice, one of the setting states “(Adjust to) System.” This means the website’s appearance will adjust to your device’s preference. Some phones, such as Samsung Galaxy, allows you to have a dark mode natively on your phone.

So if you set the dark mode on your phone, the jw.org will also be dark mode in your phone to match your phone’s theme, without the necessary of setting it manually on the site. Very kind and marvelous provisions by our brothers.

Nice, and I love that it’s an actual, proper dark theme. Not a gray theme, but an actual black theme, no shades. That’s how a dark theme should be made.

The setting works all across the website, not just a few specific articles. If you notice, one of the setting states “(Adjust to) System.” This means the website’s appearance will adjust to your device’s preference. Some phones, such as Samsung Galaxy, allows you to have a dark mode natively on your phone.

So if you set the dark mode on your phone, the jw.org will also be dark mode in your phone to match your phone’s theme, without the necessary of setting it manually on the site. Very kind and marvelous provisions by our brothers.

If your device allows you to switch between light and dark mode depending on time or other circumstances, jw.org will change with it if you set it to System.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

9 minutes ago, Hinata said:

3 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

If your device allows you to switch between light and dark mode depending on time or other circumstances, jw.org will change with it if you set it to System.

Hhmm. Mine doesn't seem to do that. I switched my system setting over to Dark (Windows 10), but jw.org didn't change with it. :confused:

Personally, I don't like dark mode anyway. Some items don't show up that way. :confused:

Hhmm. Mine doesn't seem to do that. I switched my system setting over to Dark (Windows 10), but jw.org didn't change with it. :confused:

Personally, I don't like dark mode anyway. Some items don't show up that way. :confused:

Perhaps you need to clear you cache?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Hinata said:

Having good success with dark mode on jw.org but not with wol.jw.org and secure side of Jw.org. Hopefully will come to them in the future as well as jw library. The digital tools get better and better. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

"These new options are not yet available in the JW Library app, but will be added in the future. We thank Jehovah for the continual improvements to our digital tools that help us access an abundance of spiritual food."

👍

It does not seem to be available in the "log-in" areas either.  No menu items nor documents in dark mode.

5 minutes ago, jwhess said:

It does not seem to be available in the "log-in" areas either.  No menu items nor documents in dark mode.

I use my Samsung browser to access my.jw.org and it opens the site in dark mode. My Samsung Galaxy device system setting is for dark mode.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

12 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I use my Samsung browser to access my.jw.org and it opens the site in dark mode. My Samsung Galaxy device system setting is for dark mode.

I don't have a "genuine" dark mode for my Ipad or Iphone.  I just have the built-in color inversion for the accessibility feature.  It doesn't wok in the "log-in" section.

EDIT cancel this comment.  I tried using the Classic Invert in the "login" areas and it workd if I choose "System" in JW.ORG.  but my pictures don't display correctly so I will have to choose carefully.

Edited by jwhess

on my ipad 6th gen nothing happened.. on my android tv, theme is dark. on samsung mobile phone also dark. samung phone too.. dont know how about newer ios devices..

i have my own opinion to ios and ipad os. good os but like a virtual prison that is why i will sell my ipad to one older sister for a fair price and buy samsung tab 7 i think. i dont have nothing against apple devices, are great, but are highly "incustomazable" (did i rote it good? 😁  ) to users, i cant use it any more. my  wife have newer ipad, she is happy, but for a phone she like android too.. apple is popular in usa, canada etc, and our library app looks great on ipad os and more functional than on android. but for other things i prefere android, aldough apple is released restrictions, after 10 years. imagine, you can choose diffrent default internet browser than safari😆

not good enough for me to buy another new apple device. also updates are only slowing devices down, both on ios and android. best thing is to stay on older version of os than update as soon as it came. ipados 13 was good..

Edited by .Ivan.

on my ipad 6th gen nothing happened.. on my android tv, theme is dark. on samsung mobile phone also dark. samung phone too.. dont know how about newer ios devices..
i have my own opinion to ios and ipad os. good os but like a virtual prison that is why i will sell my ipad to one older sister for a fair price and buy samsung tab 7 i think. i dont have nothing against apple devices, are great, but are highly "incustomazable" (did i rote it good?   ) to users, i cant use it any more. my  wife have newer ipad, she is happy, but for a phone she like android too.. apple is popular in usa, canada etc, and our library app looks great on ipad os and more functional than on android. but for other things i prefere android, aldough apple is released restrictions, after 10 years. imagine, you can choose diffrent default internet browser than safari
not good enough for me to buy another new apple device. also updates are only slowing devices down, both on ios and android. best thing is to stay on older version of os than update as soon as it came. ipados 13 was good..

You can chose to use any web browser on iOS devices. I do not use Safari.

The limitations on iOS devices are not necessarily negative. The problems that occur on android devices when people tinker a bit with them are things I do not see on iOS devices. Some things I wish were different, for sure, just as I wish some things were different on Android devices.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Mykyl said:

Dark mode is working on my iPhone latest os iPhone 12. 
Didnt have to do anything. Just opened the site and there it was. 

The default setting on JW.ORG is your SYSTEM setting.  So if you use Dark Mode on your phone it will automatically be the setting on the website.  The 3 choices are System, Light and Dark.  System is the automatic default. You can choose any one of the three.

2 hours ago, Mykyl said:

Dark mode is working on my iPhone latest os iPhone 12. 
Didnt have to do anything. Just opened the site and there it was. 

3 minutes ago, jwhess said:

The default setting on JW.ORG is your SYSTEM setting.  So if you use Dark Mode on your phone it will automatically be the setting on the website.  The 3 choices are System, Light and Dark.  System is the automatic default. You can choose any one of the three.

Yes that is correct, the default is “system,” which means whether the site will have light/dark theme will depend on your phone or device’s system settings. It seems Brother Mike already had a dark mode setting applied to his phone. Thus, when you go to website, it natively applied the setting without the hassle of setting it manually.

@jwhess Brother Hess, you mentioned in another post that if you use the System setting, the colors of the images inverted, which may be caused by this. Since the system setting just uses the device’s native setting, if you use the invert dark mode on iPhone, the image of the colors may get inverted. (Since I do not use iPhone, I can not be sure, however.)

Hopefully the dark mode will also be available in my.jw.org and WOL too soon.

1 hour ago, Hinata said:

Yes that is correct, the default is “system,” which means whether the site will have light/dark theme will depend on your phone or device’s system settings. It seems Brother Mike already had a dark mode setting applied to his phone. Thus, when you go to website, it natively applied the setting without the hassle of setting it manually.

@jwhess Brother Hess, you mentioned in another post that if you use the System setting, the colors of the images inverted, which may be caused by this. Since the system setting just uses the device’s native setting, if you use the invert dark mode on iPhone, the image of the colors may get inverted. (Since I do not use iPhone, I can not be sure, however.)

Hopefully the dark mode will also be available in my.jw.org and WOL too soon.

Thank you, this is true.  The Iphone or Ipad has a "Classic Invert" option that reverses the color of the picture.  But it has a "Smart Invert" mode that is supposed to recognize the picture and leave it in the normal color mode and only invert the text.  When it first came out, it seemed to work well.  Then is slowly became more like the classic version.  But in the last Apple update or two it seems to be working like it should on the tablet and phone.

When I use the Smart Invert as my "System"  then JW.ORG does not use a regular Dark Mode 100%.  The sample picture I used previously makes some of the pictures appear in a "negative" mode even though other pictures on the same page are left in normal color.  So for now, I will choose the JW.ORG dark selection and turn off the System selection.

7 hours ago, jwhess said:

Yep. I noticed that later on. Thank you. 

On my android phone, the dark mode is coming from my browser, Chrome. I go into "settings" and choose "theme" and there choices for "light or dark" or "system default"

When I set it for "dark" any website that can be rendered to a dark mode is displayed that way.

I can't see any theme choices on jw.org itself.