JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Australia East Coast Floods

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 717 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Here is a pic of what the lawn looked like before the cattle arrived...

I'm glad they had the presence of mind to swim to the house!

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/c6bbe895-8cea-45da-a9dc-c5530720cead

Old (Downunder) Tone

Lawn.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

So I live in the town of Mullumbimby in Northern NSW.  Many parts of our town have been affected by the recent floods.  Unlike Lismore and other areas of Northern NSW the flood waters did not cover homes completely.  Most of the homes and shops in town had water around waist deep.  Therefore homes and shops though losing all furniture and fittings, the buildings are fully repairable.  Lismore and other surrounds however had water above or to the roof and therefore the homes and buildings are not repairable and have to be demolished.  In our town all brothers are ok and accounted for.  The town has 6 families and then another 2 families live out of town, that in are in the truth.  We have a couple living with us as their home was flooded and they lost all furniture and most possessions.  The wife is in the truth and her husband is not.  Up the road from us is another sister with an unbelieving husband and their home had water up to just above the skirting boards.  Another sister had 60cm of water go through her home.  The rest of the brothers in the area did not have flood waters into their home.  We live out of the flood zone and our house and block are elevated.  A couple that live out of town are cut off as the road up to them has collapsed and the area they are in has had severe landslides.  One of the brothers drove and walked the last 10kms to reach the couple.  Their home and themselves are safe and well.  They have enough food for around a month.  We had no electricity and water for around 48 hours.  We had very limited mobile phone reception and no wifi for 8 days.  Sunday our wifi came back and yesterday our mobile reception returned.  Our town was physically cut of for around 2 days after the flooding.  We ourselves were flooded in for around 24 hrs.  Right now after the cleaning out of homes and businesses our town looks like a war zone.  Other towns like Lismore, Ballina and Murwillumbah are the same but due to the larger population and those affected in those towns it is much worse.  Apparently in Lismore the stench from mud, sewage and rotting animals etc is terrible.  There has already been a DRC formed.   Here in Australia most Insurance companies do not cover flood, storm or tempest if you live in a flood zone.  Our greater area known as Northern NSW is but one area in Australia at the moment that is severely affected by flooding.  We are all privileged to belong to the greatest organisation in the universe.  We are looked after by each other especially in times like these.  The couple with us had their home cleared out and cleaned within 2 days of the flood.  It is sitting drying and waiting to be repaired.  They have already had a visit from the DRC to assess their needs. Brothers in surrounding areas not affected are already working hard to care for those in need.  One of our local Kingdom Halls in a town called Ballina went under in the flood.  Unfortunately it is right next to the river.  Many areas still do not have electricity and limited mobile reception.  Northern NSW is a very picturesque area that in addition to many towns has great surf beaches, beautiful hinterlands and very productive farm land.  It has a big tourism industry and is known as foodie heaven.  Now of course this has all been impacted by the floods.  Because our town is small, around 5000 population in town and around another 5000 in immediate surrounding areas, we have the damage but not as greater volume as other areas.  The couple staying with us both in their 70's were born and grew up here.  They have never experienced or seen what happened last week.  Many times they have had water come into their yard and lap at the back step but never to the extent that has just happened.  The same is true of all the other areas affected.  Northern NSW has a very high annual rainfall which is why it is a very lush and productive area.  Heavy rainfall is common and we are often on flood watch but never to this extent.  This event is clearly evidence we are living in the last days and our poor planet is suffering due to the mismanagement of humans and the rule of Satan.  How privileged are we to know this will all end very soon.

https://www.echo.net.au/category/local-news/

IMG_5625.jpg

2 hours ago, MullumMiss said:

So I live in the town of Mullumbimby in Northern NSW.  Many parts of our town have been affected by the recent floods.  Unlike Lismore and other areas of Northern NSW the flood waters did not cover homes completely.  Most of the homes and shops in town had water around waist deep.  Therefore homes and shops though losing all furniture and fittings, the buildings are fully repairable.  Lismore and other surrounds however had water above or to the roof and therefore the homes and buildings are not repairable and have to be demolished.  In our town all brothers are ok and accounted for.  The town has 6 families and then another 2 families live out of town, that in are in the truth.  We have a couple living with us as their home was flooded and they lost all furniture and most possessions.  The wife is in the truth and her husband is not.  Up the road from us is another sister with an unbelieving husband and their home had water up to just above the skirting boards.  Another sister had 60cm of water go through her home.  The rest of the brothers in the area did not have flood waters into their home.  We live out of the flood zone and our house and block are elevated.  A couple that live out of town are cut off as the road up to them has collapsed and the area they are in has had severe landslides.  One of the brothers drove and walked the last 10kms to reach the couple.  Their home and themselves are safe and well.  They have enough food for around a month.  We had no electricity and water for around 48 hours.  We had very limited mobile phone reception and no wifi for 8 days.  Sunday our wifi came back and yesterday our mobile reception returned.  Our town was physically cut of for around 2 days after the flooding.  We ourselves were flooded in for around 24 hrs.  Right now after the cleaning out of homes and businesses our town looks like a war zone.  Other towns like Lismore, Ballina and Murwillumbah are the same but due to the larger population and those affected in those towns it is much worse.  Apparently in Lismore the stench from mud, sewage and rotting animals etc is terrible.  There has already been a DRC formed.   Here in Australia most Insurance companies do not cover flood, storm or tempest if you live in a flood zone.  Our greater area known as Northern NSW is but one area in Australia at the moment that is severely affected by flooding.  We are all privileged to belong to the greatest organisation in the universe.  We are looked after by each other especially in times like these.  The couple with us had their home cleared out and cleaned within 2 days of the flood.  It is sitting drying and waiting to be repaired.  They have already had a visit from the DRC to assess their needs. Brothers in surrounding areas not affected are already working hard to care for those in need.  One of our local Kingdom Halls in a town called Ballina went under in the flood.  Unfortunately it is right next to the river.  Many areas still do not have electricity and limited mobile reception.  Northern NSW is a very picturesque area that in addition to many towns has great surf beaches, beautiful hinterlands and very productive farm land.  It has a big tourism industry and is known as foodie heaven.  Now of course this has all been impacted by the floods.  Because our town is small, around 5000 population in town and around another 5000 in immediate surrounding areas, we have the damage but not as greater volume as other areas.  The couple staying with us both in their 70's were born and grew up here.  They have never experienced or seen what happened last week.  Many times they have had water come into their yard and lap at the back step but never to the extent that has just happened.  The same is true of all the other areas affected.  Northern NSW has a very high annual rainfall which is why it is a very lush and productive area.  Heavy rainfall is common and we are often on flood watch but never to this extent.  This event is clearly evidence we are living in the last days and our poor planet is suffering due to the mismanagement of humans and the rule of Satan.  How privileged are we to know this will all end very soon.

https://www.echo.net.au/category/local-news/

IMG_5625.jpg

It’s mind boggling the destruction!

what a privilege that you all are giving such a good witness to the unbelieving mates!

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

The rain continues and the death toll rises. 2,000 homes destroyed. Untold thousands more are damaged.

I am well away from the area. I only see what is on the news. No doubt our RDC are active and providing need aid and resources. 

From the news the concern is that another 100-200mm (4-8") is still to fall. It's not over yet for NSW and Sydney. Further north in Queensland the cleanup will continue for months.

People carry the damaged items to their front on the street and it all gets dumped by volunteer workers. Tragic

20220308_103045.jpg

20220308_102926.jpg

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

Thousands of people in Sydney's south-west have been ordered to leave their homes as rising waters spark chaos.

Police pulled two bodies from floodwaters in Wentworthville, in the city's western suburbs, this morning.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-08/sydney-rain-blog-flooding-sparks-evacuation-orders/100890524

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Evacuations in Western Sydney.  Checking the flood map, it seems Bethel is ok at this stage.  Info I got last week about the flooding in that area around Bethel was that they were all ok, though soggy.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-08/sydney-rain-blog-flooding-sparks-evacuation-orders/100890524

flood.thumb.png.d225b8401804363b780b06837d0bf9ea.png

5 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

The rain continues and the death toll rises. 2,000 homes destroyed. Untold thousands more are damaged.

I am well away from the area. I only see what is on the news. No doubt our RDC are active and providing need aid and resources. 

From the news the concern is that another 100-200mm (4-8") is still to fall. It's not over yet for NSW and Sydney. Further north in Queensland the cleanup will continue for months.

People carry the damaged items to their front on the street and it all gets dumped by volunteer workers. Tragic

20220308_103045.jpg

20220308_102926.jpg

Its heartbreaking for all affected. Its massive. 

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Evacuations in Western Sydney.  Checking the flood map, it seems Bethel is ok at this stage.  Info I got last week about the flooding in that area around Bethel was that they were all ok, though soggy.

flood.thumb.png.d225b8401804363b780b06837d0bf9ea.png

I have family who live in Liverpool area. This is EastHills Gardens we usually picnic here. 

1.jpg

3.jpg

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

"Sydney experiences wettest start to the year since records began in 1859"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-09/sydney-rainfall-breaks-record-as-flood-emergency-continues/100893316?utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

"The weather station on Observatory Hill in the CBD has recorded 822 millimetres of rain so far this year.

That's about 70 per cent of the amount that would normally fall in a year, or what would have accumulated by August.

The wet start has broken the previous record of 783mm up to March 8, which was set in 1956.

The third wettest start to the year was recorded in 1990, when 754mm of rain fell."

Old (Downunder) Tone

Floods.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

Verbal Chat to a Brother in the flooded area reports 25 brother's houses flooded in the NSW region. All have already been cleaned out by the LDC and volunteer teams. 3 Kingdom halls are full of supplies of food and white goods to restock all the damaged homes of the brothers. 

As expected, the DRC are well in front of the curve when it comes to rendering aid! So proud of our brotherhood.

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

I was just reading this:

NSW floods: New danger emerges as damaging winds wreak havoc

While the rain is easing, the flooding in NSW continues and a new threat has emerged - damaging winds toppling trees and downing powerlines.

The Bureau of Meteorology said gusts up to 111km/h were expected for the Mid-North Coast, Central Coast, Hunter, Sydney, Illawarra and South Coast, with conditions forecast to ease later on Wednesday.

The torrential rain that has battered the east coast for more than a week has eased but flooding, which has killed at least 21 people, continues and there are more than 60 evacuation orders across NSW.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/disaster-and-emergency/rain-finally-easing-but-nsw-floods-go-on-c-5983606?utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=perthnow_update_2022-3-09&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sendgrid+wan_newsletter

How wonderful that we don't have to use the worldly sources for emergencies, leaving the world to look after its own, while our brothers look after us in such a fine way. 💗

9 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Verbal Chat to a Brother in the flooded area reports 25 brother's houses flooded in the NSW region. All have already been cleaned out by the LDC and volunteer teams. 3 Kingdom halls are full of supplies of food and white goods to restock all the damaged homes of the brothers. 

As expected, the DRC are well in front of the curve when it comes to rendering aid! So proud of our brotherhood.

In our area there are 40+ bros homes.  I’m in Northern NSW.

A report was given to the Australasian branch today about the efforts of disaster relief in relation to the floods in Queensland and New South Wales.

In Queensland, despite the extensive flooding, brothers and sisters homes sustained only relatively minor damage. Local congregations responded quickly to provide help.

The story was different in New South Wales, however. 8 congregations were severely affected. A Disaster Relief Committee of 4 brothers was appointed to coordinate relief efforts.

In total, 64 publishers were displaced by the floods. 1 house was completely destroyed, 6 houses were heavily damaged, and 3 houses were lightly damaged. There are also 21 additional properties that are receiving insurance assessments. 1 Kingdom Hall was heavily damaged. It is anticipated that 7 full months of work by multiple teams will be required to get the homes and congregations reestablished.

Elders went to great efforts to ensure the welfare of their brothers and sisters. One elder drove and then hiked 10km on foot just to check on a family that were completely cut off with no communication.

Temporary accomodation has been arranged. Congregations in the surrounding area supplied 25 pallets of fuel, food, and toiletries to their affected brothers.

The relief efforts have resulted in a witness to the affected communities. One man who was observing the relief efforts on an elderly sister’s home approached the brothers and asked how the sister was going to pay for all the repair work. The brothers kindly explained how the congregation is a family and they will take care of all the financial costs. The man replied: “I’ve been a member of my church for 40 years and no one has ever lifted a finger to help me out. Where do I sign up?”

Reliance on Jehovah is what helped the affected brothers and sisters endure. One elderly Witness couple tied a small aluminium boat to the balcony of their two-storey home in the event their house was submerged. Just as well they did. They managed to escape out of their house at 1:30 a.m. by climbing onto that balcony and into the boat after water levels in the house rose from their ankles to their necks in just 20 minutes. As they got into the boat, they watched the waters cover the roof of their second storey. They were in the boat and the motor would not start and they only had one oar. So they had to navigate in the floodwaters, trying to avoid power lines, in the dark. As they looked below they could see street lights still on beneath the water. People all around them were screaming. When asked what helped them face that time and the resulting challenges afterwards, our brother said: “We have Jehovah. We have our brothers. That’s all we need.”

39 minutes ago, jscotchie said:

A report was given to the Australasian branch today about the efforts of disaster relief in relation to the floods in Queensland and New South Wales.

In Queensland, despite the extensive flooding, brothers and sisters homes sustained only relatively minor damage. Local congregations responded quickly to provide help.

The story was different in New South Wales, however. 8 congregations were severely affected. A Disaster Relief Committee of 4 brothers was appointed to coordinate relief efforts.

In total, 64 publishers were displaced by the floods. 1 house was completely destroyed, 6 houses were heavily damaged, and 3 houses were lightly damaged. There are also 21 additional properties that are receiving insurance assessments. 1 Kingdom Hall was heavily damaged. It is anticipated that 7 full months of work by multiple teams will be required to get the homes and congregations reestablished.

Elders went to great efforts to ensure the welfare of their brothers and sisters. One elder drove and then hiked 10km on foot just to check on a family that were completely cut off with no communication.

Temporary accomodation has been arranged. Congregations in the surrounding area supplied 25 pallets of fuel, food, and toiletries to their affected brothers.

The relief efforts have resulted in a witness to the affected communities. One man who was observing the relief efforts on an elderly sister’s home approached the brothers and asked how the sister was going to pay for all the repair work. The brothers kindly explained how the congregation is a family and they will take care of all the financial costs. The man replied: “I’ve been a member of my church for 40 years and no one has ever lifted a finger to help me out. Where do I sign up?”

Reliance on Jehovah is what helped the affected brothers and sisters endure. One elderly Witness couple tied a small aluminium boat to the balcony of their two-storey home in the event their house was submerged. Just as well they did. They managed to escape out of their house at 1:30 a.m. by climbing onto that balcony and into the boat after water levels in the house rose from their ankles to their necks in just 20 minutes. As they got into the boat, they watched the waters cover the roof of their second storey. They were in the boat and the motor would not start and they only had one oar. So they had to navigate in the floodwaters, trying to avoid power lines, in the dark. As they looked below they could see street lights still on beneath the water. People all around them were screaming. When asked what helped them face that time and the resulting challenges afterwards, our brother said: “We have Jehovah. We have our brothers. That’s all we need.”

I live in the area affected by the floods and we were discussing these exact experiences in our group this morning.  Yesterday I received a message from the brother that was isolated and had the elder walk up to them.  The couple (our very good friends) were isolated for 3 weeks and it was just yesterday he was able to drive out.  We have a couple staying with us as they lost everything in the flood.  Their house is repairable and they have already had a team from the DRC in starting the repairs.  The wife is in the truth and the husband is not. 

4 hours ago, MullumMiss said:

I live in the area affected by the floods and we were discussing these exact experiences in our group this morning.  Yesterday I received a message from the brother that was isolated and had the elder walk up to them.  The couple (our very good friends) were isolated for 3 weeks and it was just yesterday he was able to drive out.  We have a couple staying with us as they lost everything in the flood.  Their house is repairable and they have already had a team from the DRC in starting the repairs.  The wife is in the truth and the husband is not. 

How kind of you and your husband to take in this couple, Linda and what a wonderful witness for the husband.  Who knows where your hospitality and the work by the DRC and, I imagine, donations to help replace at least some of what they have lost, will lead for the sister's husband. 💕

The clean-up will be massive. 11,000 truckloads already removed to a huge dumping area.

More rain forecast for next week, not as much as before, but another 4-6" is expected.

Old (Downunder) Tone

Rubbish-1.jpg

Rubbish-2.jpg

MoreRain.jpg

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

Lismore under water again. Flood water level is currently at 10 meters (30 ft). Expected to hit 10.6m.
Many places just finished cleaning up from the last event 4 weeks ago.

Old (Downunder) Tone

Ballina.jpg

Lismore.jpg

Mayor.jpg

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

Wow I was in the exact same spot at Ballina yesterday. I couldn't enter Ballina from the usual motorway exit and had to travel further south to the other side of Ballina.  The traffic then was chaotic, however once I got into Ballina the roads were fine including the one in the 7NEWS picture, which I assume was taken this morning.   Mullumbimby where I live is so far ok.  It seems that Byron Bay is getting the flood this time in addition to those previously affected a month ago.  Currently here in Mullumbimby the rain has eased.  

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/nsw-floods-live-updates-lismore-levee-overflows-byron-bay-s-main-street-under-water-20220330-p5a99z.html

They expected 10.6m (32ft) flood level but the water level was closer to 12 m (40ft)
A lot of places were caught unawares.

No power, no fresh water. It will be tough.

Old (Downunder) Tone

20220331-1.jpg

20220331-2.jpg

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone