JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

4 hours ago, Smile4me said:

We have been encouraged by the Branch for some time now to have a to go bag.    Besides the things that the Branch have suggested to include what else are you planning on putting into the to-go-bag? 

We have had of great discussions about that here!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 hours ago, rolypoly said:

Go bags... Does it seem like the friends consider them GT bags?  At first i did.  But i remember repeatedly hearing these are 'disaster' bags, not GT bags.  But is the GT a disaster?

I have noticed the exact same thing. Many I know are planning with the GT in mind, but the go bags are for disasters. Note the picture in the WT last Sunday. That family weren't fleeing anywhere....

That's not to say some wont use them in the GT but we don't want to waste time focusing on a GT go bag when its only being busy in spiritual activities that can prepare us for that time..

Yes and how good were the go bags for those in war ravaged countries and had to flee or those whose homes have flooded. They are primarily disaster bags. Not every person will suffer one but it’s always best to be prepared. Who knows if we will use in the GT or not? We’ve been encouraged to have them ready by the GB so it’s good to obey. 

This is the list I have:

3 days worth of food and water

Hand gel, wipes, masks, latex gloves

First aid kit

Medications 

House documents, passports or ID

Set of spare clothes

Sanitary products for the ladies

Nappies for the babies

Spare shoes

Loo roll

Torch, candles or matches 

Spare batteries

Photos of loved ones and telephone numbers written down- maybe even your book study overseer or a few elders numbers 

Waterproof bags

Some sort of pen knife 

Wind up radio 

Water purification tablets

Toothpaste, toothbrush, soap

Pen/pencil and paper

Extra set of house keys

Fold up Rain poncho 

Cooking/eating utensils (imagine having to make a fire and cook over it) 

Rope

Duct Tape

Sharpie/ permanent marker

How are you doing the documents?  Just putting copies of everything in the bag?

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

• 2 weeks later...

I will use Ziplock bags for my documents.

I just received my purchase today. I got a Solar power radio 

And some solar power torches 

I have to redo my bags. There's 5 In my house. Now kids are teens. So they get a bag too. 

Adding the snack tin Cans of spams and tunas .

Long Life stuff. 

This may end up being my go bag. Lol.  May need a trolley lol

Screenshot_20220317-204558.png

IMG-20220302-WA0002.jpg

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

2 minutes ago, Stee said:

This is mine. I posted it on here a little while back. I’ve since taken out a few items and added a few others. 

*Bottom pic is a foldable bucket. Good for water collection or for washing purposes. 

7B5EBC02-B252-41F2-898A-677DD6BA67F1.jpeg

0B63B6E6-7FC1-4CF0-A033-38A22CBF92B3.png

Awesome.

I bought of eBay the tablets that make water drinkable I M gong to get a couple of those collapsible such a great invention.

I have an awesome friend in my Cong she says her husband has just about gone made getting supplies. Got to be prepared.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I am confused by the concept of the to go bags. "To go" where?  Are they like to keep you alive when you flee in your car?  Are they for when you arrive at a shelter?  I'm confused. 

I currently have a tupperware bin with:

canned foods

water

emergency blanket

life straw

flashlights

batteries

paper towels

first aid kit

candles/matches/lighters

How would I ever fit that in a backpack?

Edited by Michelle81

@Michelle81

In case of a disaster..you have a pre-packed bag with a few essentials. Be it that you have to leave on foot or by car. 

A “to-go” bag can have a few items 

For example: Last year my friend had a fire in her street and they were told to immediately evacuate. They stayed with some brothers and sisters and thanks to their pre-packed “to-go” bag..they had a change of clothing and personal items etc 

The items you have a great for “sheltering in place”. ..Always great to have a few extra items. Like when Covid hit and some items were hard to come by. 

In my case. I have a. Couple of go bags. Something in the car. Something in the house. Especially if we go on Long trips in the Outback. For eg.

I usually carry a few extra personal products. Have 2 daughters as well. We were up top end of Queensland Old Telegraph Rd. Fun for 4WD.

We came across a Gigantic Pond. A guy was going in & out. Water was pouring out the muffler.

Not good. So my husband wants to have ago. I said is all the beding up? It will be fine he says. So we go in. We've got a 4WD.

Comes up over the Hood.

I'm praying we make it out.

Hope no Crocs. 

We made it out.

He checks under the Hood. Then he is sad how much water got everywhere. Including the filter. No power. No other options.

I said I know what will help you now .What he says my Personals. No no he says. Quite adiment 

I said give me a shot. Ok. So between each layer of the Filter. I used a whole pack. Soaked up all the water. A few MacGyvering. On our way again. Fortunately it was warm weather. We had Swags slept in them. The bedding well. You guessed wet .

Lol

On 3/18/2022 at 3:26 AM, surfergirl said:

In my case. I have a. Couple of go bags. Something in the car. Something in the house. Especially if we go on Long trips in the Outback. For eg.

I usually carry a few extra personal products. Have 2 daughters as well. We were up top end of Queensland Old Telegraph Rd. Fun for 4WD.

We came across a Gigantic Pond. A guy was going in & out. Water was pouring out the muffler.

Not good. So my husband wants to have ago. I said is all the beding up? It will be fine he says. So we go in. We've got a 4WD.

Comes up over the Hood.

I'm praying we make it out.

Hope no Crocs. 

We made it out.

He checks under the Hood. Then he is sad how much water got everywhere. Including the filter. No power. No other options.

I said I know what will help you now .What he says my Personals. No no he says. Quite adiment 

I said give me a shot. Ok. So between each layer of the Filter. I used a whole pack. Soaked up all the water. A few MacGyvering. On our way again. Fortunately it was warm weather. We had Swags slept in them. The bedding well. You guessed wet .

Lol

Surfgirl so do I. I have two waterproof bags in my car, clothes, hygiene things, just some of everything. I wasn't sure either on a to go or GT bag so I just prepared everything. I had crackers and what not but they became stale, I have plenty of non perishables though.  Thanks for everyones input, will compare to see what I have missed, by the way love the portable bucket.

On 3/8/2022 at 6:43 PM, BLEmom said:

One thing I did was to take screenshots of our important documents. When the pandemic began, we closed our safe deposit box at the bank and put the contents in an insulated bag. 

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2022 at 12:43 AM, BLEmom said:

At this point I stucked. Today we have paper copies of important documents but they carry the risk of identity theft. Therefore I also prepared usb sticks with encrypted documents. The software to decrypt is part of the stick (veracrypt portable). But I am not sure if this is the plan. You can't read them without a usb reader. No chance with a tablet or smartphone, in an internet cafe or on mac. How to cope with all these issues?

7 hours ago, student said:

At this point I stucked. Today we have paper copies of important documents but they carry the risk of identity theft. Therefore I also prepared usb sticks with encrypted documents. The software to decrypt is part of the stick (veracrypt portable). But I am not sure if this is the plan. You can't read them without a usb reader. No chance with a tablet or smartphone, in an internet cafe or on mac. How to cope with all these issues?

I took screenshots of all my documents and created an album in my phone on my external micro SD Card. The card can be removed and put in a secure location.

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

9 hours ago, student said:

I did that and i have a USB in each vehicles go bag. I also have my computer backup drive in a small safe that goes with us if we evacuate. I also have a Microsoft 365 account that has a password protected vault in my cloud storage where I keep copies of everything. BTW: I scanned all my documents and saved them as password protected PDF files.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 3/18/2022 at 7:38 PM, Michelle81 said:

I am confused by the concept of the to go bags. "To go" where? 

To boldly go where no man has gone before... (Star Trek) LOL 🤣 just kidding. 

Natural disaster can strike anywhere and anytime.

If directed to go and seek shelter we need some essentials ready,(no time for packing when under distressing circumstances) and this is the purpose of the GO BAG. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

48 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

If directed to go and seek shelter we need some essentials ready,(no time for packing when under distressing circumstances) and this is the purpose of the GO BAG. 

Ohhh. *HS*! lol. I FINALLY get it; that makes sense.  Thank you brother.  I can be so dense sometimes.