JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

'Black Like Me' by John Howard Griffin

I was told about this book as a young man by my High School bus driver (who was a JW in our cong). I sought out a copy of it and have read it many times over the years. It never loses its impact on me.

It is the story of a writer who goes into the deep south in 1959, disguised as a black man. With the help of a doctor, he had been able to alter the appearance of his skin pigment. This of course had a profound effect on his place in the world and how he was treated, even what facilities he was allowed to use.

It is a remarkable book and well worth the effort to obtain a copy. The title is from a poem by Langston Hughes. Has anyone read it?

Screenshot_20220329-001502_2.thumb.png.fb5446115e6e3f87d18156a83cc81214.png

- If in your travels you chance upon an angry little garden, Run!!!

48 minutes ago, Dages said:

I've found a French translation from 1962. I'm gonna have a look, even if I'm not a fan of the whole White/Black narrative.

Would be very interesting in French, as it's written in a style that's very "real".

I don't follow a lot of it either but this book told me nearly everything I needed to know (as well as the movie "Mississippi Burning").

Around 1959 was a very unique and unjust period in history. Some of it makes me think back to the previous decade when there was mob violence against our brothers over the flag salute issue and things like that.

In the mid 70’s our English Literature high school teacher encouraged us to read “Black like me” and later “Malcolm X”.

At the time the subjects seemed shocking and controversial, and personally hard to relate to.

It was definitely an eye opener, to the atrocities and extremes of prejudice, the mentality down South and later inner city society woes and struggles.

Then our History teacher opened our eyes to the myriads of JFK conspiracies.

57 minutes ago, Precision said:

In the mid 70’s our English Literature high school teacher encouraged us to read “Black like me” and later “Malcolm X”.

At the time the subjects seemed shocking and controversial, and personally hard to relate to.

It was definitely an eye opener, to the atrocities and extremes of prejudice, the mentality down South and later inner city society woes and struggles.

Then our History teacher opened our eyes to the myriads of JFK conspiracies.

At the end of the day, I guess it's just the story of man's inhumanity to man.

It's just another way that Satan manipulates people... he lets things go to unbelievable extremes and sooner or later comes the inevitable backlash. Now, so late in the time of the end, we have a world that refuses to allow discrimination against anyone and anything.

But racism in all its forms hasn't really gone away. It is still seething below the surface. These things lurk in the hearts of men.

I'm interested in your opinion, what's the point of reading books that highlight injustice and man's inhumanity to man? 

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I'm interested in your opinion, what's the point of reading books that highlight injustice and man's inhumanity to man? 

It give you a unique perspective.  Something that you can use to get through to certain people and create opportunities to informal witness to them.  I'm only telling you what I've been through to show how it's worked out in witnessing to other people.

At 8, I had a billy club put into my gut because the police thought I was lying about a theft committed(all black people know each other)

At 16, I had to break a skinhead's nose to keep him from stabbing me to death

At 17, I was chased by the KKK in Alabama while visiting my uncle.

At the same age, I had a rifle put under my chin because I called out a redneck for calling me "boy" and using "that tone"

That's a few of many experiences I've had

All this happened while I was a witness.  But, as a result of this, I was able to witness to several gang members one-on-one, even leading one to scare the mess out of my field service group running at me to get the latest magazines.

I was able to talk to a Puerto Rican gangster that someone I knew over facebook was trying to convince to start a study.  His objection was that we were too sheltered from the evils of this world to relate to him.  After "swapping stories", and telling him what I've observed and read about, well, the results speak for themselves.   He is our brother now.  He lives in New Jersey, and I live in Washington State, so someone else studied with him.  Another brother who shocked him with how much he knew about issues that touched him.  We met in person while I was visiting Brooklyn Bethel, one week before it closed.

CwI5mI-QsGryiGJN3T2AVvlqYuRxrFhGxIqfOeqmolmhLbyE385KEDdhWtOnNo3iGyeEQpH4QwIeTTBW0saHCF47mnUQsN-yKmm_y61HjvA8-2OTfq7Yf7maglmytDV9BoQ80PKZnams05KpamCeGBhevteLKTcSiM5-N-UyGveulyLlfcyuoRqoczG0KLUn7FyPs2ZSYynU1y8nU_xNClUGs4MpdZWHOyvZmd75EP_ysb2DHO7RP8aHZgrBK4smM7taKyE2QEbBbTKYKCMnx-onE2pnLCZcQoi1zenN2qQCf-KVKuDhRXSkb6A4hYat4IuuSlPOllmUWhzadXGBm-fIp7zUvTOmbX9m9BY7vuGWKPQZMEsiSS15PDOxVpgtyg0yp5o4sZSizT_C5wCZKxAeY4R8maxIywBh7CeQFhX-mPN7mzztFosbfQcXKvjN8t4JWwTNGph3-qV55fmxYnVNRfhujtEN8z9vzBQlz56ggFT7u5RJjdfblp5w1JBQVBw3mFMqjlkjo3E_AZhfD3h7R3RxsWlGTunqWth0Q7L-BVsIJ6IT1JnILrRQ-KRdCnW3lbHv4-9I1J6qO-BtfzzJUdQX5txF0O3pj-9u5RkD114oCbzndCeC7064csMDXaURNvp9YFzomxG0-4761cVW0wnsYhbiKCthAw0wmfZPcmZkFgxztrY2SEMEd6QetT6-DGH6E-LkYFycTx8XzSEpDyUKhEYK8YcUFeudM63sRlOvYm4eXHg5FAHDhg=w720-h960-no?authuser=0

So, as long as you're balanced, reading about certain experiences can make you more rounded, and open up a wider audience to you when it comes to informal witnessing opportunities.  

Edited by coolbrz731

All of us have different experiences that others may not be able to fully appreciate or understand if they have never had similar things happen.

When I was young, I was discriminated against because I was a JW. I was called a communist, left out of activities at school that I could have done because there was nothing wrong with them, but they didn't want a "pinky-commie" joining in.

When I graduated high school, I had to defend myself before the draft board so I would not have to go to jail because I refused the draft and a trip to Viet Nam.

Yes, my experience was not due to any skin color or ethnicity so you may say, "It's not the same". Well, that's true - it's not. The same is true of your experience ... it's not the same as mine. Mine had an impact on me and your had an impact on you. They may not have been the same impact but, it is still an impact. 

You could look at it this way - having something heavy crush your foot is not the same as having something heavy crush your hand. The impact of each is very different - however, each impact will have a lasting effect on your life. You can either learn to live with it or let it hold you back.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I think that reading about the experiences of others broadens our mind out and helps us understand other people better. We have very different life experiences and it's enriching to know about others. On the other hand, I have to agree that reading constantly about injustices can be very depressing. All things in balance.

9 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I think it's a good thing to be aware of what our brothers and sisters may be going through out here.  If we're not part of a commonly oppressed group, it can be easy to imagine that, because we're all Witnesses, we all have similar experiences. And that our own attitudes or actions are not reflective of the world we grew up in, in any way.

However, that may not be true. It may be more comfortable to brush off the effects of racism, prejudice or discrimination (*not* all the same thing) because that's not who we are, as Witnesses. But our friends may be dealing with awful experiences- past or present- and such books or movies can maybe help us empathize with their plight.

Reading @coolbrz731's comments should be an eye opener. 😔 It's not uncommon at all, I'm sad to say. Being aware and truly empathetic will help us "become all things to all people".

20 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Even King Solomon contemplated this for a time.

"Again I turned my attention to all the acts of oppression that go on under the sun. I saw the tears of the oppressed, and there was no one to comfort them. And their oppressors had the power, and there was no one to comfort them."   (Eccl 4:1).

Yes, but Solomon also said, ". . .To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12)

I found a fascinating article (attached) from the 1957 Awake! which tells a similar story - but from the point of view of a schoolgirl going to a white school for the first time.

I just find the late 50's a really intriguing time in history. Our brothers must have gone through so much back in those times, but they kept their integrity and never lost their love for their fellow brothers.

I can only imagine that it was a brave thing to publish an article such as this in our magazines at that time.

1406995657_Integration-HowItFeels(1957Awake!Article).pdf

It might be interesting to see what a similar book would be like if someone did this today - would the results be the same or would they be an entirely different experience?

4 hours ago, Qapla said:

It might be interesting to see what a similar book would be like if someone did this today - would the results be the same or would they be an entirely different experience?

It might very well be more similar to the '50s experience than many would be comfortable with.. especially in certain parts of America. 😔  There are more protective laws and people are more vocal AND accepting, but attitudes and denial of troubles are still prevalent. 

And you cannot legislate love, compassion and empathy in someone. Those only come with recognition of a problem and taking personal steps to not be part of it. Also acceptance if it's pointed out that we're stumbling a bit in that area.

Only Jehovah’s New World will make it all right...

• 5 months later...
On 3/29/2022 at 1:27 AM, Suspended in Time said:

Has anyone read it?

Yes, it was a good read, but I actually felt that he held back and he was 'pulling his punches'. I'm sure the magazine heavily edited what he wrote...I always wish he had written a private draft, to be released years later, when people could handle the truth. I also wish he had spent longer undercover and/or written more at length about it. Maybe a part 2. But props to him for being willing to undergo such an extremely dangerous assignment, for the sake of getting the truth out there. I read he was later used incessantly, always requested at conferences, so that he could help be the voice for black people to speak to white people to make them listen. A sort of bridge between two worlds. He was a unique figure at that time, and I think the weight of it was hard on him for the rest of his life.