Jump to content
JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Favorite Whisky or Gin?


Recommended Posts

I’ve never heard of those brands. 
Bourbons….

I like Angel’s Envy in my Old Fashioned. 
Other ones I like are:

Elijah Craig

Makers Mark

Woodford Reserve. 
 

There’s a Woodinville I’ve had from a friend but haven’t seen in my area. It was really good too. 
 

There’s a brother in NC with a distillery called End of Days. Their gin is excellent. It’s smooth and the flavor is such you can drink straight or on the rocks. 
I also like Grey Goose of course. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2022 at 11:45 AM, BLEmom said:

I’ve never heard of those brands. 
Bourbons….

I like Angel’s Envy in my Old Fashioned. 
Other ones I like are:

Elijah Craig

Makers Mark

Woodford Reserve. 
 

There’s a Woodinville I’ve had from a friend but haven’t seen in my area. It was really good too. 
 

There’s a brother in NC with a distillery called End of Days. Their gin is excellent. It’s smooth and the flavor is such you can drink straight or on the rocks. 
I also like Grey Goose of course. 
 

Btw I don’t know why I threw the Grey Goose in there. You didn’t ask about vodka. But in case you were wondering….lol

 

I can’t remember the brand but there’s a gin with a bowler hat cap. We like that one. Bombay is another popular one.  I like to try different botanical gins for gin and tonics. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gin is a wide variety of distilled spirits infused with botanicals. Dry gin is often infused with juniper berries, when taken too far you get the gasoline impression that Tortuga appears to be familiar with. Better dry gins can be floral, herbal, and a nice balance of aroma and flavors. Another famous gin drink is the martini, a cocktail of mostly gin with a touch of vermouth (a wine fortified with botanicals) and an olive. Churchill is famous for preferring his martinis poured with gin while simply looking at a bottle of vermouth. I'm not averse to a nice splash of vermouth nor exploring variations like the 'dirty' martini .

 

Americans might be surprised by some of the English gins that blend fruit and a sweeter flavor than the London dry gins that they might be familiar with. One delicious variation I've found from closer to home is Barr Hill's Tom Cat gin, a barrel aged gin. This is a nice sipping gin or can be used for the Martinez, equal parts Tom Cat gin, sweet vermouth, and a splash of Luxardo with an orange garnish. This might be the most sophisticated cocktail I've ever made, simple yet such a unique combination of flavors.

 

Bourbon is a fun exploration, I enjoy the spectrum from corn to rye and even wheat. Buffalo Trace is the current sipping favorite, although Costco had a delicious house brand (Kirkland Single Barrel Barton 1792) that I'd be happy to buy more of if it shows up again. I tend to enjoy the spicy ryes.

 

Any tequila fans? Corralejo resposado is my default. I know there are quite a few top notch varieties available, I need to keep an eye on when some of the best show up for reasonable prices. While I lean towards the aged resposados and anejos (probably the whisky influence) I've had some unaged silver tequila that was amazing. I've also dipped into some very good mezcals, agave spirits made outside the designated tequila producing regions in Mexico. Mezcal tends to be smokier (not my preference) but also having a wider degree of flavors and some of the most sophisticated and complex agave spirits I've tasted.

 

How about whisky (Scotch)? I'm not a fan of the strong peat or smoky varieties although there are exceptioms, preferring lightly peated pours like some of Macallan 12 port or sherry barrel aged. There's a delicious variety to be had though, especially when Irish, Japanese, and Indian (Amrut) are included.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, -Chris- said:

Gin is a wide variety of distilled spirits infused with botanicals. Dry gin is often infused with juniper berries, when taken too far you get the gasoline impression that Tortuga appears to be familiar with. Better dry gins can be floral, herbal, and a nice balance of aroma and flavors. Another famous gin drink is the martini, a cocktail of mostly gin with a touch of vermouth (a wine fortified with botanicals) and an olive. Churchill is famous for preferring his martinis poured with gin while simply looking at a bottle of vermouth. I'm not averse to a nice splash of vermouth nor exploring variations like the 'dirty' martini .

You might like the gin I mentioned earlier by End of Days. It has cardamom as part of the flavor profile. 
Are you in England? 
I am on the hunt for some excellent smooth gins other than just the one. 
Some of these sound really nice. Unfortunately most I’ve never seen in my area. 
https://www.gardensillustrated.com/gardens/best-gin/

 

One thing if you are making a gin and tonic is the tonic really makes a difference. I love Feverfew brand tonic water. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 1:01 PM, BLEmom said:

You might like the gin I mentioned earlier by End of Days. It has cardamom as part of the flavor profile. 
Are you in England? 
I am on the hunt for some excellent smooth gins other than just the one. 
Some of these sound really nice. Unfortunately most I’ve never seen in my area. 
https://www.gardensillustrated.com/gardens/best-gin/

 

One thing if you are making a gin and tonic is the tonic really makes a difference. I love Feverfew brand tonic water. 

Sister, I’ve been looking for the Feverfew tonic water you mentioned and can only find one called Fever Tree here in the US. 

are you in the UK or somewhere that this is only sold in that area?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2022 at 1:01 PM, BLEmom said:

You might like the gin I mentioned earlier by End of Days. It has cardamom as part of the flavor profile. 
Are you in England? 
I am on the hunt for some excellent smooth gins other than just the one. 
Some of these sound really nice. Unfortunately most I’ve never seen in my area. 
https://www.gardensillustrated.com/gardens/best-gin/

 

One thing if you are making a gin and tonic is the tonic really makes a difference. I love Feverfew brand tonic water. 

I only know feverfew as an herb used for migraines. Wonder if it’s the same feverfew. 
or could spellcheck have changed the word from Fever Tree, a tonic water sold here in the US.  

 

Edited by Dove
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Dove said:

I only know feverfew as an herb used for migraines. Wonder if it’s the same feverfew. 
or could spellcheck have changed the word from Fever Tree, a tonic water sold here in the US.  

 

Hah!  It’s because i am always calling it by the herb name. It’s the Fever Tree brand. I like the elderflower version!

Sorry for the confusion!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2022 at 10:01 AM, BLEmom said:

You might like the gin I mentioned earlier by End of Days. It has cardamom as part of the flavor profile. 
Are you in England? 
I am on the hunt for some excellent smooth gins other than just the one. 
Some of these sound really nice. Unfortunately most I’ve never seen in my area. 
https://www.gardensillustrated.com/gardens/best-gin/

 

One thing if you are making a gin and tonic is the tonic really makes a difference. I love Feverfew brand tonic water. 

My wife loves cardamom, I’ll have to try finding some.

 

I’m in US, Nevada. 

 

I’ll admit my gin and tonic skills are lacking, they’re so much tastier when my brother makes them. I’ll have to try to improve, summertime temperatures are arriving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 12:55 AM, Cool Cat said:

My favourite Whisky is Laphroiag Quartercask. I also liked Caol ila 12. I am a big fan of very Smokey whisky’s. Just wish I had enough money to buy some of the very Smokey Octomores. 🥃

Yes I like the very smokey Whisky's as well! Some of my favourite... the one in the middle is an Indian whisky, which I like very much as well.

 

IMG_2305.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Lee49 said:

Oh No Lol GIF by The Swoon

That would be me one ice without the Drambuie. ⬆️

 

After a couple of drams, perhaps I would be visioning that I could be doing this. ↙️

 

Jumping Team Usa GIF by U.S. Figure Skating

Edited by Pabo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2022 at 6:51 PM, New World Explorer said:

Please if you have/had alcohol related addiction close this window...now. Thank you. 

 

What is your favorite whisky/Bourbon? Never tried Gin, is it any good? 

 

I do not mind:

Monkey Shoulder

Dimple (15 years aged)

Chivas 13 years aged. 

 

Well, you like to blend in with your drams.

 

BTW, all nice drops too. 👌

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 22.5.22 (changelog)