JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Favorite Whisky or Gin?

4 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

AU$159? Typical price for a Japanese Whiskey. It is better if you know someone going to Japan and they buy them there and then bring them over. Only about AU$60-70 when you buy them in Japan. You don't even buy them at the Duty Free stores, as they charge more than your Japanese outlet.

As for sherry casked whiskeys, they are usually very nice. Glenmorangie Lasanta is one similarly done in the same way, and that is a beautiful scotch. If you happen to be in Aldi and if they have it available, the Glenmonarch Sherry scotch is actually very good for its price (I picked one up for about AU$46). It has that distinctive darker orange/red hue of a sherry cask scotch.

I've had the Yamazaki Single Malt Distillers Reserve NAS (No Age Statement), and it blew our minds when my mate brought one back with him from Japan visiting his in-laws, and it wasn't a 12yr old. For a NAS single malt, it leaves most big name 12yr old Single Malt Scotches in the dust, and also the 18yo Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie offerings.

I've got the Hakushu SM NAS, not sure how much I have got left in it, but it was very nice, but it also very different to the Yamazaki. Also I have an uncracked Yoichi SM to open as well. These are also from my mate as well (but I did reimburse me for these). His wife will be back from Japan at the end of the month, so he will have some new stock for himself, and he is going over in September as well to visit his in-laws.

20230525_220033.thumb.jpg.e1bf120aab5e71c31b8c0cb0d4a3f138.jpg

These bottles that I have are all in the same price range as what you have posted. I will say that you will not be disappointed if you do buy a bottle, as the Japanese do take great pride in there products. As it seems to be somewhat a limited release, it may be worth trying if you can afford it.

Edited by Pabo

12 minutes ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

This went down a treat:

H-Gin.jpg

(Of course, it could just have been the location and the weather!)

Not sure what price you paid for it where you are, but its about AU$125 back here at home.

37 minutes ago, Pabo said:

If you happen to be in Aldi and if they have it available, the Glenmonarch Sherry scotch is actually very good for its price (I picked one up for about AU$46). It has that distinctive darker orange/red hue of a sherry cask scotch.

Excellent tip, thank you 😊 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Finally I have those 2 to try ...😉

IMG_1382.JPEG

I hope you bought the Miyagikyo Grandeeither in Japan or in a Duty Free store, because the prices here are mind blowing (AU$360+)!!!! But I will say this will be a really nice whiskey, and you will be savouring the richer flavours that it will play on your senses.

The Suntory will be interesting one, being a blended whiskey. It will be more lighter in it's tone to the Miyagikyo, and probably more like a green label 15yr old Johnny Walker, but probably much more floral.

9 hours ago, Hotteok said:

I'm a beginner in the alcohol world, only having drunken beer and occasional sake.

What's the taste of whisky? is it delicious? 

That is a very loaded question. It will depend on your prefered tastes. Do you prefer a dry taste, or that of a smokey taste, or a floral and fruity taste, or a more complexity flavour where you are trying to discern how the flavours are swirling about your mouth picking up various hints of flavours?

As you are living in Korea, I would say the Japanese whiskey's will be probably more easier for you to get, and I am somehwhat jealous if you can access them more readily.

If you want to list of Japanese whiskeys to try, I would suggest starting with what we have already mentioned hear. At least if you are wanting to find what description to put your taste to, at least we may have an inkling of what you are trying to discern.

Also too, there are peated or unpeated whiskeys, but generally it is defaulted as unpeated, as peated means it has a more smokey flavour to it in the process of how they distill it. The Japanese do some peated whiskeys available, but they will say peated on their labels and descriptions, as with the Scottish whisley. Scottich whiskeys that come from the Islay region are generally peated, but they will use the term "unpeated" if they distilled it without using the peat process. I would start of with an unpeated whiskey, as these will be much more smoother tan the peaty ones.

Edited by Pabo

3 hours ago, Pabo said:

That is a very loaded question. It will depend on your prefered tastes. Do you prefer a dry taste, or that of a smokey taste, or a floral and fruity taste, or a more complexity flavour where you are trying to discern how the flavours are swirling about your mouth picking up various hints of flavours?

As you are living in Korea, I would say the Japanese whiskey's will be probably more easier for you to get, and I am somehwhat jealous if you can access them more readily.

If you want to list of Japanese whiskeys to try, I would suggest starting with what we have already mentioned hear. At least if you are wanting to find what description to put your taste to, at least we may have an inkling of what you are trying to discern.

Also too, there are peated or unpeated whiskeys, but generally it is defaulted as unpeated, as peated means it has a more smokey flavour to it in the process of how they distill it. The Japanese do some peated whiskeys available, but they will say peated on their labels and descriptions, as with the Scottish whisley. Scottich whiskeys that come from the Islay region are generally peated, but they will use the term "unpeated" if they distilled it without using the peat process. I would start of with an unpeated whiskey, as these will be much more smoother tan the peaty ones.

I tend to think that alcohol should be as tasteless as possible, because we Koreans usually eat meat or sushi or things like that and add alcohol to add pleasure, of course, some alcoholics enjoy alcohol itself.. But most Koreans would rather drink something that goes well with what they eat..

But then I'd like a little bit of taste too, just that little as in Japanese Sake.. or very ordinary but cool beer like Corona beer.

I've tried wine, but not my style, sadly. And bad hang-over too. 

5 hours ago, Hotteok said:

I tend to think that alcohol should be as tasteless as possible

If you are feeling the hit of that raspy burn of alsohol, then the distilled spirit is way too strong for the flavouring of the spirit. That is why people don't like vodka, because they think it is made from potato skins and just bad for your taste, and that it is like drinking metho.

If anything, the alcohol should actually be lifting the aroma of the spirit to your nose, thus making it pleasant sensation before you actually drink it. That is where you get one part of the enjoyment from drinking any drink. Another part is when it is in your mouth nd what sensations do you feel, and finally the aftertaste. That is why they usually have these 3 areas in the tasting notes on their packaging, or reviews.

Depending on the mood I am in, I can drink a spirit either as:

• neat,
  • on ice,
  • with still-water,
  • soda water or sparkiling mineral water,
  • in a chilled glass neat from the bottle,
  • or the less known of putting the spirit into the freezer for a couple of hours and then pouring it neat into a chilled glass (it makes it more syrupy and dulls down the burn sensation and opens up even more complexity tones to the spirit).

I will try and at least do many of these methods if I trying out a new brand or variation that I haven't had before, as each method highlights different charactistics of the spirit. You can get different tastes from that single bottle but doing it in all these different ways.

As you are not used to drinking spirits, I would recommend first mixing the spirit with soda water (or sparkling mineral water) but at a more diluted ratio (15ml spirit to 200ml water) with some ice. Then trying it without the ice at the same ratio. See whether you like it with the ice or not. Then try it with still water instead of carbonated water and see how it goes with that. Once you have found your preference water/ice preference, then try it with a slightly stronger spirit (20ml spirit/ 200ml water) and how you go with that. Once you get to 30ml of spirit, then start to cut the amount of water down by 20ml each time to see how you feel with that. If you don't like it or finding it too over empowering, then back off to where you really enjoy it most, that will be your preference for that spirit. If you got to the point of drinking it neat by eliminating the water, then you probably find that you have accustomed yourself to that spirit, and you may find that you may like it at a particular spirit/water ratio at different times too.

When you try another spirit, you can probably start from your preferred point with that first spirit you have started with, then go up or down according to that spirit's characteristics. It is all about experimentation, and there is no rules in regarding how you drink the spirit, other than the proclamed 11th Commandment:You shall not adulterate the liquor!  But the technical get-around is that by putting in the spirit after you put in the mixer into the glass, you are improving the flavouring of the drink, not ruining the spirit by adding the mixer after it. 😉

5 hours ago, Hotteok said:

I've tried wine, but not my style

Neither is mine, but I do like the smell of it, just not the sensation within my mouth. But my wife does like drinking wine, but not the dry or sweet ones. At the moment, she is drinking a Brokenwood Wade Block 2 Shiraz 2014 vintage.

Edited by Pabo

8 hours ago, Pabo said:

hope you bought the Miyagikyo Grandeeither in Japan or in a Duty Free store, because the prices here are mind blowing (AU$360+)!!!!

Someone got it for me from Tokyo. 😉

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 hour ago, Hotteok said:

Do you guys drink to get tipsy at least or just enjoy the flavor of alcohol itself? 

Always for the flavour. There are some spirits where you could drink only a glass which may be so full of flavour and that it stays on your palate for a longer period of time then others, thus taking a longer time between sips.

As for getting tipsy, I have a higher tolerance for the consumption of alcohol, which to some brothers may find confronting. But it does also come down to showing moderation and restraint when you having a drink or two, especially with ones who have a stricter view on the use of alcohol.

I may consume 2 or 3 drinks to their 1 drink and yet I will have a lower blood alcohol content then they would. I do own an alcohol breath analyzer if any person questions my consumption, so I can use it to alleviate their concerns.

However, I mainly use the breath analyzer for educational purposes, as most people do not realise how the consumption of alcohol is processed by their own bodies. It is only when they see how the alcohol is consumed by their own bodies over a period of time by taking regular readings, they will grasp of why some can drink more than others. Whether it is tolerance, metabolism, their own body frames and weight, what and how amd when they had to eat with their alcoholic drinks, and also the speed they drink. There are many factors that may affect one's consumption of alcohol, and once you understand what your body does, you can regulate what you do and how to limit yourself as well.

But I have known brothers who could drink much more than me and still don't register any alcohol in their body, as their body itself doesn't process alcohol at all.

But I have always use the advise one brother had said about having a limit, if you stay under the blood alcohol limit that may apply to you driving a motor vehicle legally, then that is the highest limit of level of intoxication you should ever be.

Edited by Pabo

I cracked this Irish Whiskey last night, and it was purely smooth to drink and very mellow.

image.thumb.png.88438cba9f54f528d99b71c2e4ac71d3.png

However, it has it's links to a Manhattan bar of the same name, which they have a largest amount of Irish whiskey's available in the USA. Hence its mellow bourbon tones when you first take a sip.

I am very impressed with how it blends itself together, and as you can see, once you start, you may find it hard to pull in the reins.

I was drinking it neat with no chilling at all either by glass or ice.

Edited by Pabo

17 hours ago, Hotteok said:

Do you guys drink to get tipsy at least or just enjoy the flavor of alcohol itself? 

Maybe I will be sounding over-righteous, but I always drink with great moderation.

1 shot of whisky... 1 beer ...1 glass of wine. 

I am not alcohol lover, but purely enjoy tasting different wines or whiskeys. 

Yesterday I had half of  glass of beer with friends...yep. half.

Unless they invent Donut Whiskey, there is no problem LOL :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

We had a brother and sister over for a meal a couple of weeks back, as was my mate was also down for a week, and they really like to have a dram or too. So we finally cracked the Yoichi SM Japanese Whisky that he got for me before COVID.

image.png.622fdd4b8882f581f01e0cae3ebf8864.png

It was so nice and smokey as well. This brother and his wife both like the smokey whiskies (their go to is the Laphroaig) and they really very much enjoyed it too. We did take our time in admiring the aromas and taste. We were drinking it neat.

Also I was able to get at a reasonable price a bottle of Knob Creek 9 year old.

knob-creek-9-jahre-small-batch-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whisky-07l-50-vol-809664_700x.webp.b7e2c87741509a4b151a8670bf5c6686.webp

It was so smooth, that my wife liked it that much, she nearly drank the whole bottle on me (not all at once, but during the week and a bit after we cracked it). We drank it neat as well, and it was my preferred method of drinking this. My wife prefers it with a large dash of sparkling mineral water, just to make it last longer for her. It was so smooth, you would never thought it was a 100 proof (50%), as you couldn't sense the alcohol at all.

And another we cracked that night was the Archie Rose Rye Malt Whiskey. It was different to what I was expecting, as it wasn't as the dry tone as you may find with other typical rye whiskeys. I find that too much was going on with this, but I only had a single glass neat. So I may have to experiment with this one to find it's hidden meaning.

2022newproducts_1_f85034cd-4fed-428b-a3f5-ee61a4aa2fcb_2048x.thumb.webp.133a9b70b81d1dd9880e2e4ae4e1d75a.webp

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...