JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What unusual or funny experiences that happened during a meeting that you have attended?

I have heard my mother tell this story, since I was a child.

A parent was taking their young child out of the kingdom hall auditorium to be disciplined, and the child yelled out, "Jehovah, please save me!"

I've also was told this one from my parents:

A brother was praying and asking that Jehovah forgive us for 'falling short.' But what he actually said was "forgive us for our fallen shorts."

I hope it wasn't going to be a cremation.😳

13 hours ago, Danni said:

Here in the Philippines, at a funeral discourse, the brother who will do the closing prayer lost focus and said "Thank you Jehovah for the food at the front that we are about to share and receive..." 🤣

Edited by Pabo

On 9/29/2022 at 4:45 AM, Pabo said:

cremation

The pandemic greatly popularized cremation here. Before that, large percentage where on a casket everyone can peek. If the funeral discourse will be held at the Kingdom Hall, then the casket will be brought there followed by the burial.

37 minutes ago, Danni said:

The pandemic greatly popularized cremation here. Before that, large percentage where on a casket everyone can peek. If the funeral discourse will be held at the Kingdom Hall, then the casket will be brought there followed by the burial.

Having the casket is somewhat rare in the KH here in Australia. As most of the time for the funeral's that I have attended, the memorial service is held at the KH, the burial is usually privately attended by family and close friends either before or after the service.

We once had a squirrel get into the kingdom hall, a young squirrel at that. It ended up in the kingdom hall library. So we ended up forming two lines, making an isle from the library to the front door of the kingdom hall. So the only path the squirrel could go was along the path that we had formed for it. We instructed those participating that if the squirrel started to head toward them they just take a half step towards the squirrel which would send it in the other direction ultimately it got out the front door.

Another unusual experience I remember, during a Circuit Overseers visit, the power went out and there was a shower of sparks that we could see, outside on one side of the kingdom hall. Definitely highlighted by the fact that we were sitting in a freshly darkened KH.

We evacuated the kingdom hall and the remainder of the meeting was canceled

What had happened was the power line passed through the branches of a tree. And for some 20 or 30 years of rubbing on the side of the tree and it finally rubs through the insulation on the electrical wires.

When we got our new songs back 2016, at one mid-week meeting we were about to sing the second song of the meeting, song 76.

When it started to play, I said just loud enough so that those around me could hear it, "Ah, the Sesame Street song".

A few around us started to giggle, but an elder and his wife sitting in the row behind us just started to crack up laughing, and couldn't compose themselves for the entire song, they just keep laughing. As for myself, I sung the song as normal, not smiling at what was going on around me ignoring them, but the elder's wife really lost it when I finished the last line of the chorus with "Can you tell me how to get? How to get to Sesame Street". They both ended up having to go outside of the KH, as they were crying and almost wetting themselves with laughter.

After the meeting, the elder's wife thanked me for getting her to laugh, as she had a really, really, really bad day and was really struggling to cope mentally and only by chance she got to that meeting.

Whenever that song is played, we call it the Sesame Street song.

Edited by Pabo

7 minutes ago, Pabo said:

Whenever that song is played, we call it the Sesame Street song.

Songs are part of our worship to Jehovah, they are prayers that we all have the opportunity to participate in. No doubt Jehovah appreciates it when we show the respect and dignity they deserve.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

One meeting years ago I was very engrossed in the material and the sister in front of me jumped a little, said "oh" and looked back at me and smiled.  I smiled back. Someone in the next row up did something similar. It was then that I realized my daughter had decided to go sit with grandma and had taken a shortcut under the seats, between people's legs.  By the third row a sister had caught her and had her meet me at the aisle.  It takes a village !!!!!

Past few months, there's a random bird flew to the KH—he managed to enter on that narrow door before the meeting started. Seems he was trapped inside, squeaking and squealing, and somewhat he badly needs help. It is hard for the bird to see the narrow door to go outside, so he just flew and flew and flew during the meeting. After the meeting, brothers and sisters swayed their brooms to catch that bird, he might be dead if he can't go out. It was tiring to catch that bird, swaying back and forth because that bird is flying everywhere, until everyone says, “Oh, lets go home! Let him be dead here.” And here my dearly brother @... in the shadowssays, “I know he will get tired flying, just don't give up!” Then I added, “What if we turn off the light, he might not see!” (It was nearly 8 in the evening.) Then, I turned off the light, and he attempted to catch that bird alone. From the light outside, we managed to see the bird flying inside. For about few minutes, the bird seems tired, so he lowly fly above the ground and the smack of the broom made him unbalanced. Then the bird was catch uninjured. What a poor bird! And that we left him on the ground next to the water, so he can drink. After that, my dearly brother got sweaty, “Phew! What a relief!” We laughed after that! 

He knows you better than you know yourself, and he wants to help. :hugs:

21 hours ago, Hava Saber said:

Past few months, there's a random bird flew to the KH—he managed to enter on that narrow door before the meeting started. Seems he was trapped inside, squeaking and squealing, and somewhat he badly needs help. It is hard for the bird to see the narrow door to go outside, so he just flew and flew and flew during the meeting. After the meeting, brothers and sisters swayed their brooms to catch that bird, he might be dead if he can't go out. It was tiring to catch that bird, swaying back and forth because that bird is flying everywhere, until everyone says, “Oh, lets go home! Let him be dead here.” And here my dearly brother @... in the shadowssays, “I know he will get tired flying, just don't give up!” Then I added, “What if we turn off the light, he might not see!” (It was nearly 8 in the evening.) Then, I turned off the light, and he attempted to catch that bird alone. From the light outside, we managed to see the bird flying inside. For about few minutes, the bird seems tired, so he lowly fly above the ground and the smack of the broom made him unbalanced. Then the bird was catch uninjured. What a poor bird! And that we left him on the ground next to the water, so he can drink. After that, my dearly brother got sweaty, “Phew! What a relief!” We laughed after that! 

Too - If you do happen to have a bird enter a building, turn off all the lights, close the blinds and leave just an exit door open where the light can be seen by the bird. They will exit the building by following the lighted exitway. You may need to cover the exit kits as these will distract the bird as well.

I have to do this plenty of times if a bird enters our shed.

On 9/27/2022 at 6:57 AM, Esined said:

When my daughter was a baby, maybe one year old, the brother on the platform asked a question obviously geared towards little kids, something like “What is God’s name?” My daughter saw other kids raising their hands and wanted in, so she raised hers too. She was too little to actually be called on, but determined to be part of this answering thing she said “Obama!” really loud. (Barack Obama was president at the time.) People in front and behind us could hear.

She was just checking if the brothers were politically neutral

• 2 months later...

I had forgotten about this until this week's Bible Reading (2 Kings 22-23).  Every time I read her name it reminds me of how many years ago, when my sister was a new bride in the congregation of her husband, called me after the mid-week meeting one night and could hardly contain herself.  A brother (and not a youngster) kept referring to the Prophetess Huldah as the Prophetess Huladiah.  He said it over and over and she, being the studious person she was, just thought that was the funniest thing and it really tickled her funny bone.  Of course that was before we had any jw libraries and pronunciation helps and I'm sure he was doing the best he could, but I can't read about her to this day without it coming to mind.   And we still occasionally have a good laugh about that.

"Where the scriptures and and the slave are silent, I do not speak." :bible2:

18 hours ago, Watching and Waiting said:

I had forgotten about this until this week's Bible Reading (2 Kings 22-23).  Every time I read her name it reminds me of how many years ago, when my sister was a new bride in the congregation of her husband, called me after the mid-week meeting one night and could hardly contain herself.  A brother (and not a youngster) kept referring to the Prophetess Huldah as the Prophetess Huladiah.  He said it over and over and she, being the studious person she was, just thought that was the funniest thing and it really tickled her funny bone.  Of course that was before we had any jw libraries and pronunciation helps and I'm sure he was doing the best he could, but I can't read about her to this day without it coming to mind.   And we still occasionally have a good laugh about that.

At least he didn't pronounced her name as Hula-hoop