JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sugar Alcohols

I have minor digestive issues that became worse during the pandemic, so I recently started keeping a food diary to see what causing the problem. Obviously, I discovered the normal triggers such as caffeine, alcohol and chocolate were causing some of the problem. I will neither confirm nor deny that I had increased consumption of said items during the pandemic. So, several months ago, I started eliminating them from my diet and started drinking more herbal teas, unfortunately the digestive issues didn’t go away. 

I did more investigation and realized that I was still using a sugar substitute called Truvia in my herbal teas. Each packet or serving of Truvia has 2g of a sugar alcohol called Erythritol. There aren’t any official guidelines, but it’s considered safe to consume 1gram of erythritol per kilogram of body weight, so I should be able to consume much more than the 12-16 gram than I was consuming per day. However, a little internet research showed that sugar alcohols may accumulate in the system and some people may react to them.  

About a week ago I stopped using Truvia and any food products that had sugar alcohols in them and I could immediately tell a difference. This morning I did an experiment and I had two packets of Truvia in a cup of hot water, no tea, no coffee, nothing else that would trigger any symptom. I immediately started getting a headache and 3 hours later I started having digestive issues.

If you have digestive issues, such as extreme bloating and all of the side effects that go with it, try eliminating sugar alcohols from your diet and see if it helps.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

https://www.webmd.com/diet/what-is-erythritol

Side effects. Eating lots of sugar alcohols can lead to bloating and an upset stomach. Some sugar alcohols can cause gas and cramping or work like a laxative when they reach your colon. But erythritol is generally mostly absorbed before it gets to your colon and is excreted unchanged in your urine. Excess gas and a laxative effect are possible, but people generally handle it better than other sugar alcohols, and it doesn't come with any warnings.

Thanks for the heads up Brother Rich. It's good to know because son has bloating issues too. Also brilliant idea to keep a food journal to eliminate the usual suspects. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d0f899794c96d9049b9361ed03fd6f3c.png

2 minutes ago, happiness IS said:

Eating lots of sugar alcohols can lead to bloating and an upset stomach.

Several articles that I read mentioned that sugar alcohols can react differently on some people and even very small amounts can cause the same symptoms. The symptoms are compounded when you consume other known triggers such as chocolate, caffeine or alcohol.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2022 at 2:32 PM, New World Explorer said:

I stopped using sugar 2 years ago, my substitute is bit of honey, or nothing whatsoever. 
But hey, good tips Richard thank you. 

I have been experimenting with different types of sweeteners and its difficult to find something that i like. I don't want to go back to plain white sugar but honey tastes funny in my coffee. Brown sugar, coconut sugar, molasses and other sweeteners taste funny to me too.

I tried Stevia In The Raw and I didn't like it but I blended it with white sugar and it tastes pretty good. So I am starting to use a 50/50 blend of Stevia In The Raw and plain white sugar. 

I can understand how these different sweeteners can be hard to take.

I’ve never tried Stevia in the raw.

I use Pyrure, which has organic Erythritol & Organic Stevia Leaf Extrac.

Edited by Loopy

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

10 minutes ago, Loopy said:

I use Pyrure, which has organic Erythritol & Organic Stevia Leaf Extrac.

The Truvia that I was using had a small amount of Erythritol in it. I don't want to be too graphic but two packets of Truvia would bloat me so bad that a single belch would clear all the papers off my desk...:eek:

Over the years I have used most of the alternative sugars for myself or children.

Then I started to use a 100% pure Maple Syrup. It's just sweet, tastes like melted chocolate, no aftertaste, etc. one teaspoon or less for a 12 oz mug of tea.

The brand I use is called Spring Tree Maple Syrup. It's a product of USA and Canada.

It's a little pricey, 20.00 for 32 oz but it lasts a while; and if you count calories it's 110 in 2 tbsp. It's all I use as a sweetener. Can get it in the grocery store. 

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

21 hours ago, Dove said:

Over the years I have used most of the alternative sugars for myself or children.

Then I started to use a 100% pure Maple Syrup. It's just sweet, tastes like melted chocolate, no aftertaste, etc. one teaspoon or less for a 12 oz mug of tea.

The brand I use is called Spring Tree Maple Syrup. It's a product of USA and Canada.

It's a little pricey, 20.00 for 32 oz but it lasts a while; and if you count calories it's 110 in 2 tbsp. It's all I use as a sweetener. Can get it in the grocery store. 

I love stevia

6 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

Reading this topic while slowly drinking freshly made coffee with bit of honey :)

National Coffee Day GIF

That looks like a cup of 'fresh' coffee..

I have digestive issues also and sugar alcohols bother me too.  I have tried several over the years but have found that they bother me.  Anything with Erythritol will almost immediately cause me to  feel aches/pains in my legs and joints.  It's like pins and needles are sticking in my legs (especially the upper thigh areas.  Erythritol is made from corn and most corn they say (in the usa) is from gmo crop.  Growing up I have never had allergy to corn but now I can't eat it.  I can't prove that corn is made from GMO crop but I surely believe something is up with it as my body knows anytime I eat anything containing it.  If you notice corn is in everything (high frutose corn syrup which they say is bad sugar that should be avoided).  It's in everything we eat, condiments, jelly, food, etc.  So no wonder if people are consuming a lot of these things they are all achy.  I can't eat sugar because it give me body aches too. Here are 2 alternative I use:

BOCHASWEET: 

BochaSweet™ does not have a pumpkin taste. If you have ever tasted kabocha before, it is sweet tasting unlike its blander counterpart, the traditional Halloween pumpkin. We source our kabochas from pristine farms all around the world where the pentose content is much higher resulting in a very sweet taste. Thus, BochaSweet™ has a pleasant, melt-in-your-mouth sweetness with no  aftertaste or  “pumpkin” taste.

It's verrrry pricey. They do sell it on amazon but buying it directly from the company make sometime be cheaper.  Bochasweet is supposedly is made from a squash.   Please read their FAQs about this sweetener so you understand how it made, etc.  The company says in the faq https://bochasweet.com/faqs/;

DOES BOCHSWEET CAUSE GI DISTRESS:

No. But, for some people they may experience a “cleansing” effect for a short period of time, especially, if you have been consuming high glycemic sweeteners (HFCS, cane sugar, etc.).

For us we use it in cooking and baked goods only as it so pricey.  We use the 2nd alternative I will be mentioning below for sweetening coffee, etc.  Bochasweet does have a cooling affect on the tongue.  Basically it feels like you've eaten a mint or a cool tingly-ness (did i spell that right or is it even a word 😀) for a few seconds. 

The company sell packets if you want to put it in coffee, etc.   They also have a powdered version.  But I just buy the regular green pack and grind it down with a coffee grinder when I need it powdered to make stuff like frostings or keto friendly ice cream (where you just shake it in cream until it becomes foamy and free it no churning) to eliminate having the feel of grit in my mouth as it doesn't melt like sugar.  I do limit my intake of it so as not to have digestive issues.  I do also find that each batch may differ.  Meaning some times I can eat it just fine other times it bothers my digestion.  https://bochasweet.com/product/bochasweet-granular-sugar-replacement/

Anything with Erythritol I can almost immediately feel aches/pains in my legs and joints.  It's made from corn and most corn they say is from gmo crop  (I can't prove it) but my body knows anytime I eat anything containing it.  They don't always list it as an ingredients in food but my body knows. 

MONK FRUIT:
(make sure it's pure not mixed with Erythoritol. 😞)

Monk fruit is starting to become popular BUT.... you have to be careful as they "sneak" in Erythritol in it.  You have to read the label.  It's very hard to find pure monk fruit in powder form.  But I have managed to find a liquid variety by now foods.

Plain: https://www.amazon.com/Foods-Organic-Calorie-Sweetener-8-Ounce/dp/B07WLSPVFV/ref=sr_1_5

(the plain is made with cane sugar alcohol as the preservative.  I can't do sugar so I use their vanilla variety below).

Vanilla:  https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Organic-Vanilla-1-8-Ounce/dp/B07R5S9G1V/ref=sr_1_7

Surprisingly I have used it in making keto potatoe salad to add a little sweetness and I can't tell vanilla is in it. I guess I have gotten use to it.  10 drops is equivalent to a teaspoon.  So you need to add it slowly.  If you use too much you may notice an after taste (the vanilla flavor that is I haven't tried regular)

Powder form:  https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Certified-Sweetener-0-7-Ounce/dp/B07NDLYY46/ref=sr_1_8

I have never tried the powder form but they do have it.

NOTE:  They mix erythoritol i almost all other types of sugar alcohols but call it monk fruit.  Please read the labels carefully.  Again you want it pure/raw.

Edited by lovjahupepl

On 9/3/2022 at 8:23 PM, lovjahupepl said:

I have digestive issues also and sugar alcohols bother me too.  I have tried several over the years but have found that they bother me.  Anything with Erythritol will almost immediately cause me to  feel aches/pains in my legs and joints.  It's like pins and needles are sticking in my legs (especially the upper thigh areas.  Erythritol is made from corn and most corn they say (in the usa) is from gmo crop.  Growing up I have never had allergy to corn but now I can't eat it.  I can't prove that corn is made from GMO crop but I surely believe something is up with it as my body knows anytime I eat anything containing it.  If you notice corn is in everything (high frutose corn syrup which they say is bad sugar that should be avoided).  It's in everything we eat, condiments, jelly, food, etc.  So no wonder if people are consuming a lot of these things they are all achy.  I can't eat sugar because it give me body aches too. Here are 2 alternative I use:

BOCHASWEET: 

It's verrrry pricey. They do sell it on amazon but buying it directly from the company make sometime be cheaper.  Bochasweet is supposedly is made from a squash.   Please read their FAQs about this sweetener so you understand how it made, etc.  The company says in the faq https://bochasweet.com/faqs/;

For us we use it in cooking and baked goods only as it so pricey.  We use the 2nd alternative I will be mentioning below for sweetening coffee, etc.  Bochasweet does have a cooling affect on the tongue.  Basically it feels like you've eaten a mint or a cool tingly-ness (did i spell that right or is it even a word 😀) for a few seconds. 

The company sell packets if you want to put it in coffee, etc.   They also have a powdered version.  But I just buy the regular green pack and grind it down with a coffee grinder when I need it powdered to make stuff like frostings or keto friendly ice cream (where you just shake it in cream until it becomes foamy and free it no churning) to eliminate having the feel of grit in my mouth as it doesn't melt like sugar.  I do limit my intake of it so as not to have digestive issues.  I do also find that each batch may differ.  Meaning some times I can eat it just fine other times it bothers my digestion.  https://bochasweet.com/product/bochasweet-granular-sugar-replacement/

Anything with Erythritol I can almost immediately feel aches/pains in my legs and joints.  It's made from corn and most corn they say is from gmo crop  (I can't prove it) but my body knows anytime I eat anything containing it.  They don't always list it as an ingredients in food but my body knows. 

MONK FRUIT:
(make sure it's pure not mixed with Erythoritol. 😞)

Monk fruit is starting to become popular BUT.... you have to be careful as they "sneak" in Erythritol in it.  You have to read the label.  It's very hard to find pure monk fruit in powder form.  But I have managed to find a liquid variety by now foods.

Plain: https://www.amazon.com/Foods-Organic-Calorie-Sweetener-8-Ounce/dp/B07WLSPVFV/ref=sr_1_5

(the plain is made with cane sugar alcohol as the preservative.  I can't do sugar so I use their vanilla variety below).

Vanilla:  https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Organic-Vanilla-1-8-Ounce/dp/B07R5S9G1V/ref=sr_1_7

Surprisingly I have used it in making keto potatoe salad to add a little sweetness and I can't tell vanilla is in it. I guess I have gotten use to it.  10 drops is equivalent to a teaspoon.  So you need to add it slowly.  If you use too much you may notice an after taste (the vanilla flavor that is I haven't tried regular)

Powder form:  https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Certified-Sweetener-0-7-Ounce/dp/B07NDLYY46/ref=sr_1_8

I have never tried the powder form but they do have it.

NOTE:  They mix erythoritol i almost all other types of sugar alcohols but call it monk fruit.  Please read the labels carefully.  Again you want it pure/raw.

Correction.  Monk Fruit isn't a sugar alcohol it's a sugar alternative but they still mix erythoritol in with it but call it monk  fruit so look for pure (no other ingredients)

1 minute ago, lovjahupepl said:

Correction.  Monk Fruit isn't a sugar alcohol it's a sugar alternative but they still mix erythoritol in with it but call it monk  fruit so look for pure (no other ingredients)

My wife buys Monk Fruit so I am familiar with it and I had checked the ingredients.

If you have extreme bloating, you may have SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth).  A lack of acid (from too much sugar consumption....sugar absorbs acid) will allow bacteria to migrate from your large intestine into your small intestine.  There, they will produce gas that gets trapped.  Or worse, starts coming up (and causing heartburn).

If anyone has extreme bloating and/or heartburn, look into SIBO & low acid production.  You may need to do the following:

1. Take a Pepsin supplement (to increase your acid) to kill off the bacteria.
  2. Take ION Gut supplement (we all need this, really.  Will create a more hostile environment for bad bacteria, and better environment for good bacteria.  Also helps fix leaky gut)
  3. If the bacteria don't go away after a month or two, you may need Apex Water (kills bacteria/viruses without killing the good ones.  Targets only the bad ones by using negatively charged nano-particles of silver bound to oxygen molecules)

There's way too much sugar in all our diets.  If you wanna kick the sugar in coffee, buy a flavored coffee (I like hazelnut) and just put a little itty bitty "what is this small amount gonna do?" pinch of SALT into your coffee.  Too much and you taste it...it really is a small amount.  But it cuts down the bitterness like crazy!

Or better yet....ditch the coffee altogether.  We all need to do that...but that's another topic.  :whistling:

1 minute ago, computerwiz said:

Or better yet....ditch the coffee altogether

I'll think about that over a cup of coffee...😁

4 hours ago, computerwiz said:

If you have extreme bloating, you may have SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth).  A lack of acid (from too much sugar consumption....sugar absorbs acid) will allow bacteria to migrate from your large intestine into your small intestine.  There, they will produce gas that gets trapped.  Or worse, starts coming up (and causing heartburn).

If anyone has extreme bloating and/or heartburn, look into SIBO & low acid production.  You may need to do the following:

1. Take a Pepsin supplement (to increase your acid) to kill off the bacteria.
  2. Take ION Gut supplement (we all need this, really.  Will create a more hostile environment for bad bacteria, and better environment for good bacteria.  Also helps fix leaky gut)
  3. If the bacteria don't go away after a month or two, you may need Apex Water (kills bacteria/viruses without killing the good ones.  Targets only the bad ones by using negatively charged nano-particles of silver bound to oxygen molecules)

There's way too much sugar in all our diets.  If you wanna kick the sugar in coffee, buy a flavored coffee (I like hazelnut) and just put a little itty bitty "what is this small amount gonna do?" pinch of SALT into your coffee.  Too much and you taste it...it really is a small amount.  But it cuts down the bitterness like crazy!

Or better yet....ditch the coffee altogether.  We all need to do that...but that's another topic.  :whistling:

Thanks for the info.  I have suffered from bloating since my early twenties. I think I have about 3 different size of clothing for those days that are bad.  Bloating days.  Sometimes I can't even go to the Kingdom Hall and I feel bad when I don't go but, I just can't.  Where can I get Apex Water?  I do have a great health food store I go to.  I will check in with her.

Thank you for the information.  I prayed to Jehovah for help on this matter because the medical community have no idea what this is.

1 hour ago, cme said:

Thanks for the info.  I have suffered from bloating since my early twenties. I think I have about 3 different size of clothing for those days that are bad.  Bloating days.  Sometimes I can't even go to the Kingdom Hall and I feel bad when I don't go but, I just can't.  Where can I get Apex Water?  I do have a great health food store I go to.  I will check in with her.

Thank you for the information.  I prayed to Jehovah for help on this matter because the medical community have no idea what this is.

The medical community is good at treating acute diseases, not chronic. When it's a chronic problem, you have to venture elsewhere.

https://www.apex-water.com/

It's expensive, but works! They provide directions, but if for some reason they don't, you just need 1 TBSP in the morning before anything else, and 1 TBSP at night before bed (at least 30 minutes after eating, preferably more)

Should last you a long time, but when combined with a Pepsin supplement, it won't take long to kill off the bacteria. 

But BEFORE you buy Pepsin (to increase your acid production) there's a very simple test you need to do to see if you don't have enough acid. 

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

But BEFORE you buy Pepsin (to increase your acid production) there's a very simple test you need to do to see if you don't have enough acid.

My wife has been telling me that I needed more acid, I read this test online several months ago and discovered that I don't need more acid...:whistling:

4 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

My wife has been telling me that I needed more acid, I read this test online several months ago and discovered that I don't need more acid...:whistling:

Lol indeed. For 90% of people, it is a lack. For the rest, it isn't. But what doctor actually does this test?? They just hear "heartburn" and then prescribe pills.

Fun game: Google "heartburn medicine kidney" and see what pops up. I've had 3 kidney attacks from the meds. So glad I found this functional doctor who can fix me the right way!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 4:11 PM, cme said:

So an update on me...my heartburn is about 90% gone.  Got a few things that can make it pop up still.  But my doctor just put me on this to get it 100% gone:

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Encapsulations-l-Glutamine-Hypoallergenic-Gastrointestinal/dp/B01N6E26ZX/

Lot of good reviews about how this fixes IBS and whatnot.  :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 2:12 PM, Tortuga said:

I have minor digestive issues that became worse during the pandemic, so I recently started keeping a food diary to see what causing the problem. Obviously, I discovered the normal triggers such as caffeine, alcohol and chocolate were causing some of the problem. I will neither confirm nor deny that I had increased consumption of said items during the pandemic. So, several months ago, I started eliminating them from my diet and started drinking more herbal teas, unfortunately the digestive issues didn’t go away. 

I did more investigation and realized that I was still using a sugar substitute called Truvia in my herbal teas. Each packet or serving of Truvia has 2g of a sugar alcohol called Erythritol. There aren’t any official guidelines, but it’s considered safe to consume 1gram of erythritol per kilogram of body weight, so I should be able to consume much more than the 12-16 gram than I was consuming per day. However, a little internet research showed that sugar alcohols may accumulate in the system and some people may react to them.  

About a week ago I stopped using Truvia and any food products that had sugar alcohols in them and I could immediately tell a difference. This morning I did an experiment and I had two packets of Truvia in a cup of hot water, no tea, no coffee, nothing else that would trigger any symptom. I immediately started getting a headache and 3 hours later I started having digestive issues.

If you have digestive issues, such as extreme bloating and all of the side effects that go with it, try eliminating sugar alcohols from your diet and see if it helps.

I completely agree.  I can't touch truvia due to its added sugar alcohols otherwise I get extreme stomach pain.  I avoid most sugar alcohols. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 2:12 PM, Tortuga said:

Bro. Tortuga, sugar also messes with my digestive system.  I don't have sugar at all.  However, once in a blue-moon I like a small shot of brandy.  As long as I don't have any sugars throughout the day, it won't mess with me.

Sugar is in pasta (it turns to sugar once it is digested) bread as well.  Not to mention the weight that goes with it.  Crackers and so forth.

I long for the new world when all this has been resolved.

Stay faithful.

2 hours ago, cme said:

Bro. Tortuga, sugar also messes with my digestive system.  I don't have sugar at all.  However, once in a blue-moon I like a small shot of brandy.  As long as I don't have any sugars throughout the day, it won't mess with me.

Sugar is in pasta (it turns to sugar once it is digested) bread as well.  Not to mention the weight that goes with it.  Crackers and so forth.

I long for the new world when all this has been resolved.

Stay faithful.

I wonder if the ION Gut supplement would fix that for you?  My wife used to be gluten intolerant, but now she can eat it just fine.  No issues!  And it was bad enough that she had ulcerative colitis.  That's in full remission now.

https://www.amazon.com/ION-Digestive-Strengthens-Alleviates-Sensitivity/dp/B07YMNYX5Y

Takes about 3 months to see results...but the 32oz bottle should last the full 3 months.  Just need a cap-full in the morning (before eating) and at night (just before bed).  Shake gently before taking.  This is one of 2 supplements my functional doctor said we all need to take for the rest of our lives.  This one is necessary in order to help undo the effects of all the chemicals in our food.