JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Religion in the news

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

39 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

Sofia..very interesting..is the man in rhe video a witness?

I don’t think so

He s a tv show jornalist.

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

This was in my local paper "The Baltimore Sun" in Maryland.  A Report was published and the people are appalled beyond belief! 

April 6, 2023

Report details ‘staggering’ church sex abuse in Maryland

The report paints a damning picture of the archdiocese, which is the oldest Roman Catholic diocese in the country.

Report details 'staggering' church sex abuse in Maryland

A 463-page investigation released by the Maryland attorney general detailed the “enormous scope and scale” of scandal

Edited by Allabord4Jah

forgot to add date

On 4/5/2023 at 9:27 PM, SUNRAY said:

very interesting..is the man in rhe video a witness?

That's Joseph Bonner. No, he is an ex-Witness, in that he was brought up as a Witness by his aunt, and attended the KH, but AFAIK he no longer associates with the Witnesses.

It was specifically mentioned in his imdb bio, but has now been 'cleaned up' to remove the direct mention.

Once you realise, his past connection with the Witnesses it is fairly clear from his various videos and writings.

He tends to 'talk-the-talk', has a finger in a lot of 'stuff' which he 'over-eggs', but ultimately he's really a 'one-man-band' running a blog, or two.

I've had links to some of his stuff sent to me previously IRL on WhatsApp, but I've never forwarded them to others myself, that is my personal decision, others may have another view.

Edited by Parale

10 hours ago, Parale said:

That's Joseph Bonner. No, he is an ex-Witness, in that he was brought up as a Witness by his aunt, and attended the KH, but AFAIK he no longer associates with the Witnesses.

It was specifically mentioned in his imdb bio, but has now been 'cleaned up' to remove the direct mention.

Once you realise, his past connection with the Witnesses it is fairly clear from his various videos and writings.

He tends to 'talk-the-talk', has a finger in a lot of 'stuff' which he 'over-eggs', but ultimately he's really a 'one-man-band' running a blog, or two.

I've had links to some of his stuff sent to me previously IRL on WhatsApp, but I've never forwarded them to others myself, that is my personal decision, others may have another view.

Ha yes, he is the guy who asked the UN to attack religion, right ? Of course... so, an ex-JW... well... 

1 hour ago, Ross Au said:

For the sake of not wanting to stumble any of Jehovah’s sheep, that reference should be removed, as should any by apostates and other ex-jw. Please.

To be fair, I was using that expression, as I probably poorly explained, in a fairly 'loose-way'. I understand that his aunt brought him as a Jehovah's Witness up to age 11, after which he went back to live with his mother.

Ultimately though I view him as a rather small fish, who endeavours to appear bigger than he is, the bottom line being that he is a person who has had some contact with the Witnesses, over an extended period, either through their upbringing growing up, or through being a regular 'return visit', and who is now writing his own verbose musings, using some 'buzz' words and phrases that tickle the ears of some Witnesses when they read it.

If I had a return visit, who just someone I met in real-life on the ministry, who likewise also wrote down their own thoughts and ideas in 'essays' similiar to Joseph Bonner's material, I wouldn't jump on to WhatsApp and help to disseminate that material to my fellow brothers and sisters. That's my personal view, others will have other views on it.

I didn’t know Joseph was disfelloshipped 😳😵💫😵💫😵💫

please disregard my post and delete it.😑

It wasn’t wise at all but I couldn’t know.

thank you 😮💨

19 minutes ago, Sofia said:

I didn’t know Joseph was disfelloshipped

No, no, not disfellowshipped. I understand that his aunt brought him as a Jehovah's Witness, up to age 11, after which he went back to live with his mother. We don't know how much contact he had with the Witnesses after this, or if he continued studying the Bible/WT publications by himself, or with someone, or if he contacted/studied with the Witnesses later on.

Edited by Parale

18 minutes ago, Parale said:

No, no, not disfellowshipped. I understand that his aunt brought him as a Jehovah's Witness, up to age 11, after which he went back to live with his mother. We don't know how much contact he had with the Witnesses after this, or if he continued studying the Bible/WT publications by himself, or with someone, or if he contacted/studied with the Witnesses later on.

Good to know, because I have talked to him sometimes. Then I don’t have to cut talking 

thank you so much ☺️🙏

(…) the Vatican Doctrine of Discovery provides a legal basis to unilaterally deprive Indigenous Peoples of their rights to title and ownership of their traditional lands and territories by States that continue to use this legal theory as part of their national law, legislation, and jurisprudence, particularly in relation to land disputes. 

The UN expert noted that this was among the root causes of intergenerational trauma suffered by Indigenous Peoples, as currently manifested in high rates of suicide among youth, over-representation in the criminal justice system, disproportionate violence against women and girls, and racial discrimination. 

only now 500 years later the Vatican repudiates it… 🙄

source: https://news.un.org/en/story/2023/04/1135462?utm_source=UN+News+-+Newsletter&utm_campaign=84cf51cb44-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2023_04_07_12_00&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fdbf1af606-84cf51cb44-[LIST_EMAIL_ID]

• 2 weeks later...

Humanity in Action notes the good standing of Jehovah's Witnesses during the Rwandan genocide while also shaming mainstream churches for their disgusting attitude through the conflict:

Churches of every type – with the exception of the Jehovah’s Witnesses – participated in the genocide, with priests and ministers organizing and often leading killing and directing Tutsis to churches where they were then slaughtered. All of them – Catholic, Protestant, Anglican were involved at the highest levels in organizing and implementing the genocide. Many, including the Catholic Church, have given safe haven to genocidaires in an act of extreme and ongoing evil revealing the falseness of their apologies and hollowness of their purported repentance. How can anyone in Rwanda have any trust in the Church when it provides shelter to genocidaires in France and elsewhere in Europe and around the world? Furthermore, Rwanda’s churches were overwhelmingly complicit with the discriminatory Hutu supremacist ideology of the regime ruling Rwanda from 1959 – 1994 and its persecution of Tutsis that lay the groundwork for the genocide against the Tutsi. For that they have yet to face justice.

The apologies that some of the churches have offered in Rwanda are utterly incomplete, unacceptable, and fail to take sufficient responsibility for their actions and to provide survivors with reparations from the churches themselves. If a survivor is hungry than a priest and a minister must give them food, if a survivor lacks shelter, then it is the responsibility of the church to find housing for them, if a survivor is tormented in sadness and suffering then it is the church that must show them love after so many decades of showing them hate.

Genuine Houses of God are not large, expensive church buildings that convey power and might where pomp and ceremony seek to invoke God. Houses of God are the small, humble houses of survivors. It is in the voices of survivors that you will find the voice of God as expressed in the Bible, ‘A still, soft, quiet voice.’ The greatest house of God is a home of a survivor built in solidarity for his or her safety, well-being and peace. One home like that has more divinity imbued in its walls and sheltered within it than one thousand churches built and sustained while survivors remain without adequate shelter.

That the Catholic Church in Rwanda and in Rome sees it fitting to raise 70 million francs to build a new church in Kibeho and another church in the heart of Kigali in Nyarugenge, before it repairs the lives of the survivors it harmed so profoundly and before it finances adequate memorials in the very churches where its priests murdered Tutsis speaks to its divisionism, its shameful contempt for genocide survivors, and its failure to advance peace, justice, and unity in Rwanda.

https://humanityinaction.org/knowledge_detail/article-us-noam-schimmel-2020-commemoration-for-the-rwandan-genocide-against-the-tutsi/?lang=fr

Edited by Jwanon

11 hours ago, Jwanon said:

Humanity in Action notes the good standing of Jehovah's Witnesses during the Rwandan genocide while also shaming mainstream churches for their disgusting attitude through the conflict:

I saw that when it first was published. It says April 2020.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello.

This is an opinion article based on a report presented in UN this week:

Risk of “state intervention in Christian doctrine” if recommendations of UN expert on LGBT issues are followed, warns WEA

https://evangelicalfocus.com/world/22512/un-risks-state-intervention-in-christian-doctrine-if-recommendations-of-un-independent-expert-on-lgbt-issues-are-followed

Edited by Sofia

• 3 weeks later...

https://ifamnews.com/en/united-nations-report-prioritizes-lgbt-rights-over-religious-freedom

A newly published United Nations report is suggesting that religious rights should be subordinated to the rights of the LGBT agenda and its adherents. The report, written by UN independent expert Victor Madrigal-Borloz, emphasizes the government’s role in disciplining religious institutions that refuse to promote LGBT ideology. It implies that religious institutions will face punishment if they fail to comply with the LGBT agenda. The report also condemns interpretations of Christian scripture that consider homossexual behavior to be sinful and promotes dissident religious groups that advocate for abortion and LGBT values.

Critics are calling on socially conservative member states of the UN to reject the report and prevent its official adoption. Accepting such ideology will lead to the persecution of Christians and the erosion of individual liberties.

20 minutes ago, Sofia said:

A newly published United Nations report.... written by UN independent expert Victor Madrigal-Borloz.

Do you know what is the title of this newly published report is? Unfortunately the article doesn't seem to state it?

Is there a link to be able to read this report written by Victor Madrigal-Borloz? His most recent report in the UN Digital LIbrary appears to be from November 2022, though I'm probably looking in the wrong place? 🤷‍♂️

https://digitallibrary.un.org/search?ln=en&rm=&sf=latest first&so=d&rg=50&c=Resource Type&c=UN Bodies&c=&of=hb&fti=0&fti=0&p=Victor Madrigal-Borloz

Edited by Parale