JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Star Trek: Discovery

I think we have a discussion about this already but I'll tell you what I think. 

When it first started I watched the first episode and hated it. A year or so later I decided to watch it, i watched a few episodes and found it interesting, then they completely changed the story line and i haven't watched it since. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I think we have a discussion about this already but I'll tell you what I think. 

When it first started I watched the first episode and hated it. A year or so later I decided to watch it, i watched a few episodes and found it interesting, then they completely changed the story line and i haven't watched it since. 

So please come back in a year time or so,  when you watch more...LOL :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

13 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

So please come back in a year time or so,  when you watch more...LOL :lol1:

Some of the episodes that I did watch made me very uncomfortable. Personally I would never recommend the show to anyone.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Some of the episodes that I did watch made me very uncomfortable. Personally I would never recommend the show to anyone.

Many of us like space travel and also the colonization of space. We can find ourselves in Startrek and other SF series, but not in all of them. Because in some series events occur, which are partly immoral but at least untheocratic in the mental background. This is unacceptable for Jehovah's Witnesses. But is that an obstacle for a settlement of the cosmos after the millennium?

Session 1: poor (bedides sfx)

Season 2: very poor (almost as bad as Star Trek into darkness)

Season 3: promising (better than 1st)

Season 4: good (almost as good as TNG)

I value my rating based on conflict resolution: phasers - poor, diplomacy/ethics  - good. 

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

With the things I've heard about it, I haven't even bothered to give it a chance.  And you KNOW I'm a big Star Trek fan (look at my avatar!).  Some episodes have even gotten the MA rating.  :wacko:

I will give "Picard" a chance once I finally get my wife through all of TNG.  Almost done with season 6.  And for the "MA" rated Picard episodes (yes there's some!) I will use Vid Angel.  Love that service!

10 minutes ago, Michał said:

What does MA stand for?

Mature Audience: This program is specifically designed to be viewed by adults and therefore may be unsuitable for children under 17. This program may contain one or more of the following: crude indecent language (L), explicit sexual activity (S), or graphic violence (V).

7 hours ago, Michał said:

What does MA stand for? And does Vid Angel work with PrimeVideo or Netflix?

Vid Angel isn’t available outside USA . (At least that’s what I have read on the website) 

Double check please …

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

A sister in our KH commented that she used to use music services like Pandora and IHeart to select music lists that fit with her preferences. She noticed that, as time went on, those services started going outside music she would have chosen. It was subtle but, over time, the music delivered was soon selections she would never have picked - becoming songs her conscience would not have allowed.

I wonder if the same could happen with something like Vid Angel. If you allow that service/app tp determine what shows are OK - might they allow things your conscience would not have selected ... perhaps, subtly at first?

I would rather just decide for myself.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

A sister in our KH commented that she used to use music services like Pandora and IHeart to select music lists that fit with her preferences. She noticed that, as time went on, those services started going outside music she would have chosen. It was subtle but, over time, the music delivered was soon selections she would never have picked - becoming songs her conscience would not have allowed.

I wonder if the same could happen with something like Vid Angel. If you allow that service/app tp determine what shows are OK - might they allow things your conscience would not have selected ... perhaps, subtly at first?

I would rather just decide for myself.

Vid Angel has all the bad stuff listed in excruciating detail. Very thorough. You can preset certain settings that automatically get applied to ALL shows (like "no F word", no graphic violence, etc) and then on each show you can dive into each category and see a list of each instance. You might see something like:

-A bunch of dead bodies are seen.

-Man slices another man's arm off.

-Man is shot and blood spatters.

And you can check to remove or allow each instance individually. Sometimes it sounds worse than it is. Sometimes it cuts too much and you don't know a main character just had something happen to them. But again, it's super thorough and super detailed.

It even separates hetero from homosexual kissing and other "activities". So you can completely remove any gay stuff from shows. 

I understand how it works ... however, does it separate married from single living arrangements or other things the world tolerates as "normal"?

The danger is not that it reports all the stuff you said, like that sister pointed out, the danger is when you begin to rely on it, when it gives the all-clear, so you don't look any further, but some things slip through because the worlds standards change and that app's determination/definition of "a bunch" or "graphic" changes

All-in-all, I would still prefer to just go by my own conscience and not trust the worlds definitions. YMMV

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Vid Angel:

Thanks for mentioning this, I never heard of it.

So can someone explain how you connect it with your streaming services?

(Edit)

I just saw on the website that I dont have any of the devices that work 😞 

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

i have not see it i heard to many bad stuff about the first few  Season 1-3 

i heard Season 4 was an improvement and that all it is 

i have seen Picard Season 1 was fare and Season 2 was ok 

i have see Star Trek new worlds witch is good all most like watching a TOS 

• 1 year later...

Very violent, dark, dystopian. Nothing like what Gene Roddenberry envisioned. Lots of focus on a homosexual couple, and trans- or androgynous-appearing characters. In one episode, we hear one character state the pronouns they want others to use when referring to them. Spock has a learning disability, as well as another sibling we’ve never heard of. 

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻