JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Earthquakes In One Place After Another...

6 minutes ago, jrnievas said:

Pourquoi les rapports de tremblements de terre majeurs semblent-ils devenus normaux aujourd'hui ?

Par exemple, en seulement 1 semaine.. J'ai entendu des rapports sur un tremblement de terre :

- Dans Taiwan,

- New York, magnitude 4,8

- Philippines (sur une partie de la mer) magnitude 6,8

🤔 🧐 Hummm..

Perhaps experts are becoming jaded, trivializing the phenomenon given the magnitude of other world events. When the war in the Middle East broke out, Ukraine became an epiphenomenon in terms of news processing. Too much information kills information. This is the spiral of the last few days, it seems.

Also, even if an earthquake's magnitude is really high (6.0-7.9),

if it hits out in the middle of the ocean, or an uninhabited region, it is not deemed newsworthy.

30 million people felt this relatively minor 4.8 and it's front page news around the world.

It's all relative.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

18 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

It makes you wonder what would happen if everyone in the world jumped up at the same time

Only if we jumped to the Pointer Sisters "Jump" or Van Halen's "Jump" and we were able to land on solid ground!

jump-300x201.jpg

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

18 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

I could be in error, but aren't these earthquakes going to get worse, and strike more often as we draw ever close to the end?

You know it. Look at all the the earthquakes fracking has caused in California, Oklahoma, & Texas. What a mess. Unless Jehovah steps in no flesh will be saved. Mt 24:22

2 hours ago, SheyZ said:

You know it. Look at all the the earthquakes fracking has caused in California, Oklahoma, & Texas. What a mess. Unless Jehovah steps in no flesh will be saved. Mt 24:22

The  fracking part doesn't usually make any significant  earthquakes. The shakes it causes are very minor, often too small for us to feel. However, when the leftover waste water from fracking (and other similar activities) gets pumped back into the ground, that's when there might be trouble. This process can mess with the underground pressures and sometimes trigger bigger earthquakes.

As for California, it's a special case. The state is naturally shaky because it sits on the edge of two Tectonic plates and they grind against each other. This is what causes most of California's big quakes, not human activity  like fracking. 

In some other places, like Oklahoma, there's evidence that pumping fracking waste water deep into the ground has made more earthquakes happen.

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

2 hours ago, vern said:

4.8 seems small.

California gets much higher.

And small earth quakes happen all the time.

I was kinda surprisec they.hyped it so much.

I don't think New Yorker's are used to them, thus the reason for making the news.   But yeah, you know how the media is on a lot of things...   I will say for sure though, if you haven't felt one for the first time, it can also "shake you up" a bit emotionally.

14 hours ago, Desert Dan said:

I don't think New Yorker's are used to them, thus the reason for making the news.   But yeah, you know how the media is on a lot of things...   I will say for sure though, if you haven't felt one for the first time, it can also "shake you up" a bit emotionally.

I agree, it's not like it is in other places who get them fairly often. I was raised in an area that had mountains and lots of trees in the Pacific NW,  we DID NOT get tornadoes but I remember when one touched down, tore up a couple houses and blew a John Deere tractor across to another field! That was about 40 years ago and I still shake my head over it.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Worst quake I’ve ever been in was 1994 Northridge about 40 miles away and to top that off I was in a waterbed and in a 2-story condo.

Mortified… and it was not my first quake.

Edited by chuck83

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

14 hours ago, chuck83 said:

Worst quake I’ve ever been in was 1994 Northridge about 40 miles away and to top that off I was in a waterbed and in a 2-story condo.

Mortified… and it was not my first quake.

Not funny! But funny because you were in a waterbed 🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, SheyZ said:

Not funny! But funny because you were in a waterbed 🤣🤣🤣

It wasn't one of those firmer waterbeds too. I was a kid and wanted to feel like I was on the ocean every time I got in bed. Ohhhhh boy... with that earthquake... LOL. All you can do is laugh looking back. We didn't keep the beds long after that. LOL

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

On 4/7/2024 at 1:53 AM, DancesWithWife said:

Only if we jumped to the Pointer Sisters "Jump" or Van Halen's "Jump" and we were able to land on solid ground!

jump-300x201.jpg

I remember many years ago back in the early 90's, there was a earthquake reported I think in a small town inland just outside of Perth Western Australia, and the local radio station there was playing Martika's cover version of "I Feel the Earth Move" at the very time the earthquake happened.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

A 6.3 has hit just off the coast of Japan and it's relatively shallow.

Oh my! 😱 Was just reading about this, and it is not just a shallow earthquake on its own. Though relatively little damage was done this time, earthquake scientists in Japan linked this to the Nankai Trough.

“The agency says that this is the first time since 1996, when the current seismic intensity scale was introduced, that a quake with an intensity of lower 6 or higher has hit Ehime and Kochi prefectures.

A Meteorological Agency official called on people to stay alert for more possible quakes for about a week.

The official says the earthquake occurred in the expected hypocenter area of the anticipated massive Nankai Trough earthquake, but with a magnitude of 6.6.
He says it was below the strength suggesting a link with the Nankai Trough quake.” 
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20240418_14/

An earthquake in this region (Nankai Fault) would affect the whole plate subduction zone on the East coast, so it’s the anticipated “big one”! A “mega thrust” earthquake.

“A study by the Japan Society of Civil Engineers in 2018 estimated that the long-term damage from the earthquake could result in 1,240 trillion yen in economic losses over a 20-year period.[9] It is predicted that the economic damage is likely to be 10 times higher than for the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.[10] A death toll as high as 230,000 has been suggested for such an event.[11]”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nankai_megathrust_earthquakes

Something is going on in Taiwan.  They've had five 5.0+ quakes in just the last two hours.

Screenshot_20240422_071326.thumb.jpg.0bc0303af6e1e10f25cb37383b7b8912.jpg

Screenshot_20240422_071501.thumb.jpg.2583064d66db09d0d086db909384e1f5.jpg

And all of them hit on land at a very shallow depth. :(

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

In the past 48 hours, Taiwan has been hit with 22 quakes 5.0+ in magnitude,

Screenshot_20240423_061419.thumb.jpg.72e58769c396a4a8b41433e23deb00e2.jpg

plus 2 more quakes registering 6.0+

Screenshot_20240423_061156.thumb.jpg.0b1b896a9912ea1cd5d3d53fa1e9131b.jpg

That's 24 strong jolts in just the past two days, with no let up. :(