JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A bit of info about the place you live in

It would be interesting to know a little about the area that our members come from. Having brothers and sisters coming from the far flung corners of the earth, it would give us some insight on the problems they face what with the extreme weather conditions nowadays. I might start with Tennessee. I have never been to many countries outside of Asia/Australasia. The furthest I have been has been to Turkey. 

https://www.felixhomes.com/blog/whats-the-weather-like-living-in-tennessee

image.thumb.png.55455979f7a805503e5c8df1c44503a3.png

Edited by Imagine

• 1 month later...

I live in that (south-west) yellow part of Germany called "Baden-Württemberg".

We can´t rely on seasons anymore. In the recent years, we had snow in June as well as 25°C / 77° F in December.

Today we had our first warm spring day of 2023 - and May is almost over! Floods also happen frequently, something we didn't used to know here in our area.

image.png.030296858fe25033725643dda4cd7e70.png

Chrissy :wave:

Un poco de información de México, ... la comida es buenísima, por ejemplo es muy recomendable; El Mole, El Pozole y La Barbacoa entre otros extraordinarios platillos, para chuparse los dedos....

A bit of information about Mexico... the food is great, for example, it is widely recommended; El Mole, El Pozole and La Barbacoa among other extraordinary dishes, to lick your fingers....

imagen.png

Edited by Alejandro

The spirit of this virtual space is plural. -- (Gal 6:18) says: "may the undeserved kindness of Jesus be with the spirit you show".

Living in Oklahoma has it's good sides.  You don't have to travel far to enjoy Jehovah's creation. :) You can hike, camp, fish or just garden in your backyard. Summer is going to kick in soon, so we'll have some very warm and humid days. Most winters we get snow and at least one winter storm where we'll have a few inches of snow and some ice on the ground.

image.png.2d1d34b055e8a32072b21a5b1d64cf03.png

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

1 hour ago, Alejandro said:

Un poco de información de México, ... la comida es buenísima, por ejemplo es muy recomendable; El Mole, El Pozole y La Barbacoa entre otros extraordinarios platillos, para chuparse los dedos....

A bit of information about Mexico... the food is great, for example, it is widely recommended; El Mole, El Pozole and La Barbacoa among other extraordinary dishes, to lick your fingers....

imagen.png

My daughter and I will be visiting Mexico City for the Regional Convention.  We'll want to try some of those dishes. :-)

4 hours ago, coony77 said:

Baden-Württemberg

wikipedia

Baden-Württemberg is – along with Bavaria – the southernmost part of Germany.

The climate across the states varies. This is mostly due to a high amount of mountains and highlands inside of the state. Most parts in the western parts (Baden) lower than 500–800 metres (1,600–2,600 ft) enjoy an almost year round warm, in the Upper Rhine Valley and Lake Constance area even a subtropical climate, influenced frequently by air masses from the Mediterranean Sea. Summers here are mostly dry, winters wet and foggy.

Thank you, sister Christina for that 'on the ground' info about your lovely place of residence. 

Spoiler

image.png.04139b46b9bf558cd5f4051191bbd3d3.png

Climate change has officially arrived in the Black Forest

The impacts of climate change cannot be denied in the German Black Forest, where plants are starting to disappear. 

image.png.389365d703a7a58c96565a2059b4bc8d.png

Black forest cake, which originated in the Black Forest region of Germany, is typically made with a light chocolate sponge cake, soaked with cherry syrup and cherry brandy (Kirsch), then layered with whipped cream and cherries.

5 minutes ago, Imagine said:

wikipedia

Thank you, sister Christina for that 'on the ground' info about your lovely place of residence. 

Hide contents

image.png.04139b46b9bf558cd5f4051191bbd3d3.png

Climate change has officially arrived in the Black Forest

The impacts of climate change cannot be denied in the German Black Forest, where plants are starting to disappear. 

image.png.389365d703a7a58c96565a2059b4bc8d.png

Black forest cake, which originated in the Black Forest region of Germany, is typically made with a light chocolate sponge cake, soaked with cherry syrup and cherry brandy (Kirsch), then layered with whipped cream and cherries.

Love both pics but the cake....Makes me hungry. LOL 😋

Many people equate Seattle with Washington State.  The emerald city, home to one of the largest temperate rainforests.  But that doesn't apply to the whole state.  On the other side of the Cascade mountain range, it's a desert!  Fun fact.  Several cities east of the Cascades see 300 days of sun per year.  300 hours of sun is a good year for Seattle. 😅😂

washington-state-climate-map2.jpg.e14944e7994db76081c48788136f8e24.jpg

Cle Elum, Washington

Cle Elum ( klee ELL-um) is a city in Kittitas County, Washington, United States. The population was 1,872 at the 2010 census. About 84 miles (135 km) by car from Seattle, Cle Elum is a popular area for camping and outdoor activities.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0487e70e40b8348e66a4a6355756ea5f.png

Cle Elum from the northern hill

Motto: "Heart of The Cascades"

image.thumb.png.a640c24c0457e602b87ee0b16a1913db.png

Great place you're staying in Br. Chris. Lots of salmon and so near the waterways. I had the mistaken notion that Seattle is one of the rainiest city in US but apparently it is not so. Maybe I got the wrong idea from watching 'Sleepless in Seattle'. 

https://medium.com/@PeskyPippi/it-rains-nine-months-a-year-in-seattle-62dbd3094fd2#:~:text=“It rains nine months a year in Seattle%2C” a,lush because of the rain.

“It rains nine months a year in Seattle,” a famous line in the movie Sleepless in Seattle. For those of us who live in the Pacific Northwest, we know this quote to be true.

But we are surrounded by green, so green and lush because of the rain.

Spoiler

image.png.94fc9a734bc4dce69bfaf4ee1463191b.png

A coastal hike. OoOooo I love to hike here. I live in the tropics and the temperature stays mostly in the 30's C (90's F) It is so humid and hot hiking in Malaysia.

• 1 month later...

@IcemanEli From Kenai Peninsula

Spoiler

image.png.6eb40144e5eb9033f3fcb7810fed4c22.png

I wasn't sure where the peninsula is. Neither the continent nor the country. Good to know it is in the north and hence your user name. Really beautiful place to live in. How is it like preaching in this beautiful corner of the earth?

I live in the Brasília, Federal District.  

While I was writing, and I wrote a lot, I noticed that in reality, it's not so good living here, so i summarized: The brothers tend to be very materialistic, mainly cuz this is a really expensive city. A lot concrete and not much green. The weather is horrible, we don't have 4 seasons and moisture normally is 20%. Everything is far, and our bus isn't that good. Subway? Nah, just the sandwiches. People are rude. A lot of ugly people, but not that much. (sorry, but only facts) and is sun every day, but we don't have beach, so it's just bad. But well, we don't have natural disasters. Yet... 

But this is my city, I like it, I think when you read this you maybe think "my beloved father Jehovah, this poor boy is living in hell". But the city is actually reasonably safe (only the Plano Piloto, at least), and it has it own charm. Many bothers lives in way worse situations, so I just thank Jehovah that I live in a such great place in this horrible world. I think we can call it Sunny Detroit, in 1st world language. At least we're the owners of Bossa Nova and we won 5 World cup, haha.

By the way, if I could only change something it would be the weather. My God, the weather is horrible, we wake  up at 6 and is 9 degrees, when it's 1pm it's 28. 4pm 30°. 9pm and it's 20. Living here is a really immunity test.

Mapa_das_Regiões_Administrativas_do_Distrito_Federal_(Brasil)_(2).png

(Be careful! The above comment came from a suspicious source, a 20 year old. There's a risk that he is being: Idiot, reckless or stupid)

Thank you Br. Pedro for the informative on the ground comment. 

Wikipedia

Brasília is the federal capital of Brazil and seat of government of the Federal District. The city is located high in the Brazilian highlands in the country's Central-West region. Brasília was a planned city developed  in a scheme to move the capital from Rio de Janeiro to a more central location. The city's design divides it into numbered blocks as well as sectors for specified activities, such as the Hotel Sector, the Banking Sector, and the Embassy Sector. Brasília was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1987 due to its modernist architecture and uniquely artistic urban planning.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5049208d65b5bb95067feb7f37d9d8f7.png

What type of climate is Brasilia?

Brasilia has a tropical savanna climate, milder due to the elevation and with 2 distinct seasons: the rainy season, from October to April, and the dry season, from May to September. The average temperature is 21.4 °C (70.5 °F).

Edited by Imagine

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2023 at 2:09 PM, ChrisW said:

Living in Oklahoma has it's good sides.  You don't have to travel far to enjoy Jehovah's creation. :) You can hike, camp, fish or just garden in your backyard. Summer is going to kick in soon, so we'll have some very warm and humid days. Most winters we get snow and at least one winter storm where we'll have a few inches of snow and some ice on the ground.

image.png.2d1d34b055e8a32072b21a5b1d64cf03.png

Silly question, but have you ever seen a tornado?   

Know that Jehovah is God. He is the one who made us, and we belong to him.

Psalm 100:3

I live in Tomah, Wisconsin.    Yes, we are known as "cheese heads."  😛

Where I live is close to a bike trail that has the  Lemonweir River that flows next to it. I also live about 500 feet from Lake Tomah and about 1000 feet from the bike trail.  There's a lot of fishing and watersports on the lake. (Black bears have also been seen crossing the lake)    Both places are my "to go" places to feel close to Jehovah.   There's just something about a body of water and trees that makes me feel close to him.  His creations.   

Tomah is mostly farmland.  And on a hot windy day,  you take in the fragrances of a farm across from the lake.  😂

We have cold, snowy winters, and hot and humid summers.   

11 miles from Tomah in a town called Warrens,  they have the World's Largest Cranberry Festival.   I've only gone a couple of times, but it's a big deal around here.  There are over 800 arts and crafts, 300 flea market booths, 100 farm market booths and 100 food vendors for a three-mile shopping trip.  Let's just say it's a long walk around the festival.  

5580075_WI_Tomah.png

Know that Jehovah is God. He is the one who made us, and we belong to him.

Psalm 100:3

53 minutes ago, Lori said:

There are over 800 arts and crafts, 300 flea market booths, 100 farm market booths and 100 food vendors for a three-mile shopping trip.  Let's just say it's a long walk around the festival.  

Sounds like my kinda town. 🙂

I live in Llano Texas, it  is in the middle of the state. We have a beautiful clean  river that runs right through the middle of the town. We are in a geologic area called an

" uplift" ( the Llano Uplift)  Pink granite is everywhere. Cedar trees, ( actually Junipers )  Mesquite trees , and Oak trees abound. In the spring time  we get lots of wildflowers, mainly bluebonnets. 

Usually its burning hot with not much rain. I made a video of my town about 9 years ago. Will add link...

Edited by Tsheppar