JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How will Artificial Intelligence change the world ?

The buzz is everywhere.  OpenAI ChatGPT  ,  Google BARD ,  and Elon Musk X.AI.   On Sunday, April 16, 60 Minutes did a story.  Scott Pelley interviewed Sundar Pichai with Google.

Some of the highlights:  AI will rival Fire and Electricity as far as effect on human life is concerned (not meaning a good effect, rather, a major effect).  Most important invention ever.  Pelley asked Pichai if this technology might be uncontrollable?  Pichai said it's a technology race. (What could go wrong?)

"Hallucination" is the term given to Error with Confidence.  What does that mean?  AI will give a response that seems credible, if not even remarkable.  However, the response is completely wrong.  False.   An example:  Scott Pelley typed a question about inflation.  BARD recommended five books on the topic.  Upon looking into it, none of those books existed.  AI made them up.

"Emergent Properties" is the term that describes AI teaching itself.  BARD responded to a question in Portuguese. But the programmers had not uploaded Portuguese.  How did BARD do that?  They don't know!!!!   Pichai said, based on that unexpected surprise, that Google hopes to get to 1,000 languages.  HA!

The 60 Minutes story is worth watching.  This world is going to be changing fast.  Just like the Tower of Babel.  The Bible says "Now there is nothing that they may have in mind to do that will be impossible for them."  And, because the things that "they may have in mind to do" would be bad things, Jehovah confused their language.

In our day, Jehovah will give his Son the green light to bring this madness to an end!!!!

well first will have skynet, then some time after WW3 all the AI will mysteriously short out 

and we will inherit the earth. 

Pichai said it's a technology race

yeah i would agree with that .and Japan is wining the Tech Race  some of the stuff there coming out with is just phenomenal

i love reading the Mag IEEE Spectrum some of those thing make say wow and how fast tech is moving 

• 2 weeks later...

Artificial intelligence can help, for example, in identifying skin cancer or interpreting X-ray images. Artificial intelligence also recognizes faces, automatically converts speech into text and drives cars. Self-driving cars are developing strongly at the moment and they are also being planned by big digital giants such as Google. Artificial intelligence is changing the world, but it is not clear in what way. Oxford researchers Frey & Osborne and MIT's Brynjolfsson estimate that 20-50% of jobs will be replaced by artificial intelligence, automation and robotics within 10-15 years. However, the automation of routine tasks has a greater impact. At the same time, productivity increases and old tasks disappear. New occupations will be created to replace them, but we don't yet know what they will be and how they will replace the lost jobs. The threat is mass unemployment and an even sharper division of the population into the good and the bad. Working life is changing at a tremendous speed, but the changes so far may be just the beginning. Artificial intelligence and robotics have already replaced manual and routine work in factories, but their application possibilities are expanding all the time. Artificial intelligence is now entering the service sector, where routine tasks that follow clear instructions can be easily automated. These include usual customer advice, and for example loan decisions, benefit processing and investment advice. Valtina stores now have automatic cash registers, and the former cashier has become a cashier. The artificial intelligence applications of the future may also replace the work tasks of well-paid expert professions – such as lawyers or doctors: they may, for example, diagnose diseases or review preliminary decisions of the Supreme Court. In the future, the core of a doctor's work may lie in meeting the patient instead of diagnosis.

23 hours ago, PGgenius said:

Artificial intelligence is changing the world, but it is not clear in what way.  Artificial intelligence and robotics have already replaced manual and routine work in factories, but their application possibilities are expanding all the time. Artificial intelligence is now entering the service sector, where routine tasks that follow clear instructions can be easily automated. 

It is not clear in what way  -  Good or Bad?   Some of each?   

I remember well the big news when robotics were put to use in the automobile factories for welding.  The unions were livid!!!!   How dare they replace skilled humans!?

Now, of course, it makes sense, and we presume it helps to keep the cost down.

I've never heard of a robot going rogue, attacking someone.  LOL   But AI is a whole 'nother thing.  It's already being used in a nefarious way, and it's just a baby!

From The Daily Mail:  AI is fueling an explosion in voice cloning scams.  It is so believable most of those affected admitted to losing money as a result, with the cost to around a third of the victims over 1,000 pounds.  6% were duped out of 5,000  -  15,000 pounds.

Vonny Gamot , head of EMEA at McAfee:  "Advanced artificial intelligence tools are changing the game for cybercriminals."

Wisdom is a blend of many factors, including understanding, insight, shrewdness and thinking ability.  w99 9/15  pp 12-15

"To impart shrewdness to the inexperienced"  Pr. 1:4

KEEP ON THE WATCH

Many of us in the technical field started turning to ChatGPT to point us in the right direction when it came to unusual technical problems.  For example, part of my job involves database maintenance using a language called SQL.  It doesn't do multiplication and division very well.  In fact, it sucks at doing that.  Well, I'd get requests from clients saying that they want an SQL script that will give them X% of accounts that are 45 days old, from a certain state, and have a dollar balance of X.  Well, I'd turn to ChatGPT to help me figure out how to get the percentage.  It began as "What command do I use to get 30% of accounts using Sybase SQL".  But, through inadvertently training it, soon I was just asking it to write me a script for X,Y,and Z, and boom!  The perfect script was created.  I even told it that it got a command wrong.  That command was not used in Sybase.  It snarkily told me that I was wrong, and that command was used by Sybase.  ChatGPT was right, and I was wrong.  Our developer got a kick out of how snarky ChatGPT got with me and then he said he got a chill.  He said, "What's to stop someone from putting this in our software and just having it create all of the custom reports and database maintenance we usually do.  How long till it's programming the next version of our software?"  That, my friends, is a scary thought, because ChatGPT and other AI's are still very imperfect, and this is Satan's system we're talking about.  On the bright side, it could open some people up to the message of the truth.    

I feel that AI is definitely going to disrupt the world.  This will change the world the same way the wheel, printing press, factories, television, and internet did.  The problem is that with previous technologies, they created opportunities and because of it, new industries were created. ie. more jobs.  AI is a disruptive technology.  It will wipe out certain work sectors and the opportunities it creates will be limited and smaller in scale.  

However, I don't see AI as a bad thing.  See in this system of things, it is horrendous, because we need to work here due to our dependence on money.  So any technology that takes away someone's ability to make money is bad.  However in the new system of things, I think AI will be great.  It will allow us to focus on pure worship.  We won't be stuck in a job doing a mindless task when we can instead automate that task or function.  We can spend our time doing things we enjoy.

18 hours ago, Doug said:

Currently the featured topic on jw.org homepage       :superman:

https://www.jw.org/en/library/series/more-topics/artificial-intelligence-bible/

The Bible shows why humans cannot guarantee that their technological advances will result in being used only for good.

1.  Even when people have good intentions, they may not foresee the negative effects of their actions.
  2.  A person has no control over how others will use—or misuse—his work.

Such uncertainty highlights why we need guidance from our Creator.

image.png.db345dc658c3d2b51feb72e8672c7cd0.png

:omg:! Does any of this mean AI is going to replace us in our witnessing work? EEK! There won't be anything left for us to do!

To be honest, I don't generally follow this topic. But I found this article in a Canadian news outlet yesterday. For what it's worth to you:

https://o.canada.com/news/world/the-dystopian-future-of-menial-work-as-ai-replaces-humans/wcm/13900ea3-c4d6-4188-b2b5-9dacbc1ed119/amp

However, the other side of the story is here:

https://www.makeuseof.com/reasons-artificial-intelligence-cant-replace-humans/

4 minutes ago, Doug said:

Maybe the biggest threat from AI is lazy news reporters.

Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

Lazy news reporters have always been a problem.  Our past CO told us of the experience of the local news reporting that a bad storm that just passed knocked his mailbox over.  But in reality, the CO took it down for the storm so it wouldn't get damaged or flung.

Just now, Doug said:

Another risk / threat / danger:

A company will perform an AI  seance on the dead.    That would be very, very bad.   Imagine people believing they are in touch with their dead loved one.   :shutup:

As much good as there in AI, there's an equal or worse amount of bad.  None of this is actually the real actor.  But the mannerisms and everything are uncanny to say the least!

20 minutes ago, Doug said:

A company will perform an AI  seance on the dead.    That would be very, very bad.   Imagine people believing they are in touch with their dead loved one.   :shutup:

There's StoryFile? They are an AI company that linked up with William Shatner, it garnered a lot of press coverage at the time....

https://storyfile.com/gallery/william-shatner/

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/ai-nuclear-bomb-entire-world-already-palantir-ethics-expert-warns?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab

AI is 'a nuclear bomb and the entire world has already got it,' Palantir ethics expert warns

Palantir civil liberties engineer says he is not sure society is ready for AI

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...