JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you want to be called 'mom' or 'dad' in paradise?

When you're 580 and your child is 540 and both of you look like beautiful 25 year old young people, do you want to be called 'mom' or 'dad'? What about 'grandma' or 'grandpa'? Do you want to call your mother 'mom' or 'dad' when they look the same age or are even younger than you?

I myself wouldn't want to be called 'mom' when I no longer look it. And I certainly don't want to be called 'grandma' when I look 25! As for calling my parents 'mom' and 'dad', forget it. I would want them to be my equals, especially when we look like it too! I just can't imagine calling the young man beside me 'dad' when both of us are dashing around the skating rink playing hockey or racing on our horses.

Edited by Pikachu

Yes I do. Because my children will forever be my children :heart: this is a unique and eternal relationship.

But on the other side, if my father come back to the truth and be "25 years old" looking... It may be weird. But I'm not going to call it by his first name, am I ? :D Culture is interesting

2 minutes ago, Dolce vita said:

@Tortue I promise you, Turtle Richard, that I will remember it in paradise. If you still wear your shell so that I recognize you, my first words will be Hi, mum.

Exactly, you won't avoid that @Tortuga:D 

I find the question very interesting. I thought about it a lot. I tend to hold to the bond like David  but I believe that the filial bond, as well as its language, will change over time, even if 15 or 20 billion years after his birth Jesus still called Jehovah Father or even Abba Father .

Jesus was in his thirties but he called his disciples grandchildren or something like that, and some of them were probably older, but may be I'm wrong

Yeah, when I'll be 1 billion years old, landing on a planet where my descendants settled 200 millions years ago... and some of the 5 years old kids are going to welcome me... how many "grand-grand-... ... ..."-pa will they have to say ? :D
Just call me grand-pa, that's ok :D 

Being a mom and having a child is one of the best and most beautiful experiences in my life and a blessing from Jehovah. So I don't care what either of us look like, I'm fine with my daughter (and all the additional kids I'll have in the new system) calling me mom, mommy, or mama for eternity.

I grew up in a congregation where we had a brother who used to carry a record player in the door-to-door work. He had service bags and programs from assemblies dating back long before I was born. I always called him Brother Smith. When I was in my early 20's, he began partaking of the emblems. He was a really nice brother.

Not long after I was appointed as an elder in that congregation, he told me that, since we were serving on the body together, I should call him by his first name. I will admit, it was very strange at first for me to call am brother that much older than me by his first name when I had called him Brother Smith since I was 7. The more I addressed him that way, the more common it became.

Later, I told some of the younger ones in the congregation (and still do), when we worked on projects or service together that they could call me by my first name if they so desired. Some did, and still do, others still call me "Brother"

Now, as to the question at hand - I am a Dad. I would be fine with my children calling me Dad, like they do now, even if I looked younger. I only have one granddaughter - she calls me "G-Pop". I am OK with her calling me that forever - she will always be my granddaughter ... although, in the NS, maybe I will have additional grandchildren.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

My stepdaughter asked me what her children can call me, as they call her mother "grandma", and her father "grandpa".

I asked "What do you call me?"

She said "Pabo".

"Then Pabo it is" was my reply.

She then asked, "What would be the case that if you had a child with my mother, what you would be called then by your child?"

"By the same name that you call me" was my reply.

"Why?" she asked.

"I just prefer to be called Pabo, nothing else. I don't liked to be called Dad, father or anything else. Pabo is who I am known as, and it makes it simple for everyone else for generations to come."

@HopeI too became a mom at a young age. I was 18.

Since I'm raising my children, I do like being called mom and in this system while I still look like their mom. When we'll look the same age, I think I'm fine with Kathleen. I'm afraid that 'Mom' would make me feel like I'm and make me feel so much older than them. At this point, I am much older, but in the new system, not so much. Saying 'mom' as a word to indicate intimacy is fine, but 'mom' while we're playing around together and goofing off, eh, I can pass. I'll always be their 'mom' and don't feel like I always need to be reminded of that. Although it's speculation. I may change my mind in paradise! Or as @Dolce vita mentioned, there might be a new word since language is always changing.

It's the best name I can ever be called by my son. People think we're siblings much of the time in appearance, so that part never mattered anyway. 

Mama is a special relationship. I would die if he called me, "Uani"... although when he was little, he always referred to me by my name to others. *He* was the only one to know me as "mom."  😄

It's like how I feel about "Sister Tillmon". It's a special relationship that allows people to call me that. EVERYONE calls me Uani.. and usually mispronounces it. 😒 Only Witnesses call me Sister Tillmon and I love it.

I can be one million years old, Adam can be 999,980... and he'd better still call me, Mom. 🥰  The respect is eternal. 

I often read your name and wonder just how to pronounce it since I know no one else by that name. Do you think you could spell it phonetically so I could say it right in my mind?

2 hours ago, Hope said:

It's the best name I can ever be called by my son. People think we're siblings much of the time in appearance, so that part never mattered anyway. 

Mama is a special relationship. I would die if he called me, "Uani"... although when he was little, he always referred to me by my name to others. *He* was the only one to know me as "mom."  😄

It's like how I feel about "Sister Tillmon". It's a special relationship that allows people to call me that. EVERYONE calls me Uani.. and usually mispronounces it. 😒 Only Witnesses call me Sister Tillmon and I love it.

I can be one million years old, Adam can be 999,980... and he'd better still call me, Mom. 🥰  The respect is eternal. 

I agree; I love hearing my kids call me Mom. It's my favorite word. 💗

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

On 10/10/2023 at 12:31 PM, Pikachu said:

When you're 580 and your child is 540 and both of you look like beautiful 25 year old young people, do you want to be called 'mom' or 'dad'? What about 'grandma' or 'grandpa'? Do you want to call your mother 'mom' or 'dad' when they look the same age or are even younger than you?

I would love to, my dream is to have a huge family in paradise. A family so big that a new grandchild would be born every day. Being called dad would be amazing to me, even if we look like having the same age.

(Be careful! The above comment came from a suspicious source, a 20 year old. There's a risk that he is being: Idiot, reckless or stupid)

13 minutes ago, dove said:

Je lis souvent votre nom et je me demande comment le prononcer puisque je ne connais personne d’autre portant ce nom. Pensez-vous que vous pourriez l’épeler phonétiquement pour que je puisse le dire directement dans mon esprit ?

Je suis d'accord; J'adore entendre mes enfants m'appeler maman. C'est mon mot préféré. 💗

I'm not the beautiful Ouani but I'm trying: Whanee

22 minutes ago, dove said:

I often read your name and wonder just how to pronounce it since I know no one else by that name. Do you think you could spell it phonetically so I could say it right in my mind?

I agree; I love hearing my kids call me Mom. It's my favorite word. 💗

My name is pronounced:  You-Anna.  Like Diana... but saying "U" at the front instead.

I know it doesn't look like that... but that's what it is. :) 

Just now, Hope said:

My name is pronounced:  You-Anna.  Like Diana... but saying "U" at the front instead.

Its all about U....

:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

i would be ecstatic for anyone to call me 'father' or anything else when i'm 500+

because it means -----i made it

call me whatever you want

( i have a bout 20+ spiritual kids and a bunch of spiritual grandkids - they call me quite a variety of things...terms of endearment)

but these days when my daughter calls .....i'm pops or old man (grandpa is Really old man)

when she says 'Father' ... i already know ---something is up 

some sort of request of advice needed

26 minutes ago, Hope said:

I think I was close..I always said it like You-Annee because it ended with an 'i'.

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

My 42 year old daughter calls me momma, it's endearing and I hope it stays forever. 

I don't feel like a grandmother type, I certainly don't fit the description, so my grand girl calls me Mimi, I'm good with that.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34