JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I never took typing in school. That is what it was called when I went to school. It was an elective class and was usually taken by the girls in school as they were more likely to need that skill in the business world back then.

When I had children in school, things had changed. Computers were in and typewriters were on the way out. Today, most young ones have never used a typewriter, and many have never really even one. My children all took "keyboarding" (that's what they changed "typing" to) and it was a required course, no longer elective.

Seems most of the younger generations all know how to type/keyboard - or whatever they call it now - and, of course, there is also text-to-speech.

However, one thing hasn't changed ... regardless if someone is typing, keyboarding, using text-to-speech or even using the latest AI with spell and grammar checking ... TYPOS!

I try to look over my posts before I make them live. I check them for spelling, grammar, word use, etc. - yet, when I go back later and look, I often find a spelling error or wrong word ... yep, I find I made a TYPO!!

A recent example was this one:

My dad was raised a Moron and spent 20 years in the US Navy - it should have been Mormon

What typos have you discovered in your posts ... especially those you couldn't fix because it is too late to edit the post?

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I never took typing in school. That is what it was called when I went to school. It was an elective class and was usually taken by the girls in school as they were more likely to need that skill in the business world back then.

When I had children in school, things had changed. Computers were in and typewriters were on the way out. Today, most young ones have never used a typewriter, and many have never really even one. My children all took "keyboarding" (that's what they changed "typing" to) and it was a required course, no longer elective.

Seems most of the younger generations all know how to type/keyboard - or whatever they call it now - and, of course, there is also text-to-speech.

However, one thing hasn't changed ... regardless if someone is typing, keyboarding, using text-to-speech or even using the latest AI with spell and grammar checking ... TYPOS!

I try to look over my posts before I make them live. I check them for spelling, grammar, word use, etc. - yet, when I go back later and look, I often find a spelling error or wrong word ... yep, I find I made a TYPO!! ... and it's too late to edit it!

A recent example was this one:

My dad was raised a Moron and spent 20 years in the US Navy   -  it was supposed to be Mormon

What typos have you discovered when you have re-read one of your posts and you can't fix it because the time to edit has expired?

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Tge instead of the. Live instead of love. Anything that may highlight the key next to it is is risk,  but it is more susceptible to go unnoticed if it happens to be a real word. As they say, auto correct is my worst enema...

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I have been known to miss the 'A' key and hit the 'caps lock'. The next words I type are all in uppercase.  That is an easy one to notice and correct.  

7 hours ago, Qapla said:

Same here.  There was also a class called 'Home Ec' that was normally taken by girls.  One guy in my class took 'Home Ec' just to be around the girls in the class.

My wife took typing and she was tops in her class.  Everyone got a certificate showing their typing speed.  My wife got a second certificate showing she was tops in her clas.  Guess who ended up doing all the typing of letters since we got married.  The one who uses the 'Columbus' method of typing (me).  During the pandemic, my wife started typing her own letters for Field Service.

13 minutes ago, Witness1970 said:

There was also a class called 'Home Ec' that was normally taken by girls.  One guy in my class took 'Home Ec' just to be around the girls in the class.

Home Ec was compulsory for us when we were in Year 7 (start of High School). It comprised of both textiles and food preparation/cooking. In the cooking classes, I used to portray the Swedish chef from the Muppets and threw the cooking utensils behind me, even threw a 8inch cook knife which got imbedded itself in the wall that was behind me. Amazingly I was never was caught by the teacher. At the end of the year, I came first out of my year. 😱

As for typing, which was within our computing classes, I have no issues with spelling, but I have issues with typing. I am all thumbs.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/tech-industry/apple-wants-to-help-you-correct-a-text-message-after-you-send-it/

Via Apple's invention, you'd be able to review and make last-minute corrections to a text after you hit the Send button but just before the message is actually sent. After you send your text, you'd have a moment to fix any errors; otherwise the message goes out as is. That moment would be quick so as not to delay the back-and-forth exchange between you and your fellow texter.

maybe soon to come on android also?  🤪

• rocket changed the title to Typos 2
4 hours ago, Loopy said:

Auto wreck, er, I mean auto correct is my WORSE enemy 😵‍💫 🤣🤣🤣

Compared to Voice Dictation to Text, on iPhone, it's not too bad. It should be rated R..   🤐

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..