JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

9 hours ago, DancesWithWife said:

That's insulting to say that. Have you ever grown a mustache?

Oh I’m sorry 

I can’t see it. Looks like an illusion 

if you see it ok

forgive me then please

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

9 hours ago, Eejay said:

So narrow minded!

Was Paul narrow minded when he said he wouldn't eat meat if it stumbled his brother? That is the principle we follow whether its a beard or trousers or anything else. As long as its not against Bible standards then we try to fit in with local standards as much as possible. Otherwise we would be calling attention to ourselves.

I would refrain from using derogatory terms when referring to our brothers and sisters.

Edited by Floyd

1 hour ago, Ishaya said:

So with the new update on beard approval,I was wondering if a brother can wear artificial beards of different designs and fashions or must it be your own beard?

I am a householder this week for a brother, however he is going to do his demo via Zoom due to an injury he had sustained and he cannot be physically at the KH. Thus I will be using a laptop at the KH in the spare room to be his householder. So we are thinking we are going to use the beard feature on Zoom so the congregation can be accustomed to some brothers having a beard.

Edited by Pabo

5 hours ago, JonE said:
12 hours ago, truce said:

Side point: I have a very strong feeling that if Brother Anthony Morris were still on the GB, he would gleefully have done this update no 8.

Who knows, with his military background he may have been against it. Looking back to that 2016 WT paragraph it sounded like two simultaneous opinions, saying beards may be just fine but also may not be just fine... and now things are clear to move forward.

Although the Governing Body do not appear to do the Updates in strict rotation, it appears that this time, looking back over the last nine updates, it was effectively the turn of either Stephen Lett or David Splane to present the Update on behalf of the entire Governing Body.

I think it was fitting that the Governing Body choose Stephen Lett to present this Update on their behalf because, while people may reference the Watchtower from September 2016, don't forget the direction we received from the Governing Body, as presented by Stephen Lett, the following month, October 2016, in a morning worship:

Stephen Lett: Never Be a Cause for Stumbling (2 Cor. 6:3) October 2016 (from 5:50 min mark)

But now, what about in an area where we have a Scriptural right to do something? Now, surely exercising that right, if it stumbles someone, we can’t be held accountable for that, can we? Well, open up to 1 Corinthians chapter 8, and here — very interestingly — this scripture answers that question. 1 Corinthians 8:9, it says:  “But keep watching that your right to choose does not somehow become a stumbling block to those who are weak.” Isn’t that interesting? Even our right to choose, if it would stumble someone, we wouldn’t exercise that right  according to this scripture. The apostle Paul, in verse 13 of that same chapter, he said he wouldn’t even eat meat ever again if it stumbled his brother. Well, like Paul, are we willing to forgo our rights regarding, for example, wearing a beard, wearing heavy makeup, using alcohol — as just a few examples — if exercising that right might even possibly stumble someone?

https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/VODPgmEvtMorningWorship/pub-jwbmw_201610_1_VIDEO

Edited by Parale

16 hours ago, Mykyl said:

I think it might be a little while for that. I don’t imagine they will be in the early bunch. 

If it would come through grey like this image filter on me then I might actually go for it finally. 🤷‍♂️😊

IMG-20190515-WA0000_Original.jpeg

Or this. 😊

IMG_9849.jpeg

That's great and look really natural. Please share the app you're using

13 hours ago, truce said:

I don't see any in the foreseeable future. They would all want to keep the status quo, for the sake of being "exemplary", perhaps? But if I had to stretch it, maybe Mark Noumair, Ralph Walls, David Schaffer, Robert Luccioni or Sam Herd???

That, in bold, doesn't make sence because wearing a beard now has nothing to do with being exemplary or not!

I think that in things that are very deep ingrained in our culture they ussualy are the first to show up and give the example. I'me remembering the transition from paper to digital. Br Jackson was one of the first to use a tablet in the stand. There were several jokes between him and br Splane about it

Now you see this same Br JAckson using a paper bible more than often. That persistent use of the tablet was mainly to give the example that it was good to use one (there were many against it at the time)

So I think that one of the GB may grow a beard for some time just to give the example that you can now be exemplary with one

Edited by jayrtom

2 hours ago, Ishaya said:

So with the new update on beard approval,I was wondering if a brother can wear artificial beards of different designs and fashions or must it be your own beard?

One of the benefits would be if a brother could no longer give a talk, his wife could don his fake beard and deliver it for him. No one would know the difference.

IMG_2971.jpeg

6 hours ago, JonE said:

Who knows, with his military background he [Morris] may have been against it. 

I would lean towards saying you are right. Dress and grooming was one of his favorite topics to get out the whip and polish it up, lol :D

I feel like there is a pattern here of when someone is no longer on the Governing Body, big changes happen, which would make sense because I believe they all have to mutually agree on everything.

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

17 minutes ago, LeolaRootStew said:

One of the benefits would be if a brother could no longer give a talk, his wife could don his fake beard and deliver it for him. No one would know the difference.

IMG_2971.jpeg

So many options available too… 

IMG_8293.jpeg

Edited by TheKid23

1 hour ago, Prism said:

There's now a chance that during the first few months of 2024, the percentage of JW men with beards will be actually be HIGHER than that of worldly men:beard3:

I absolutely agree with this.  When someone has an option open up to them, the natural response is to avail oneself of that option.  I had a beard one time, when we had a CO who liked them!  It was a nice thing to get to enjoy, but I found it felt like I was wearing a ski mask all the time.  It's kind of hard to get used to.  I got rid of it due to that discomfort after a few weeks.  So, I suspect people will want to try it out and see how it is, but not all will be bothered to keep it.  I'm pretty fortunate too because my facial hair grows out pretty orderly, but some have a frizzy mess, so the upkeep for mine was almost zero.  

Im trying to understand a really good reason to keep beard now,i may want to try it.

throughout my life I've been used to being neatly shaved even before I became a witness,from my training in the military schools I attended.

So what are some really good reasons for a man to keep beard?

1 hour ago, Prism said:

There's now a chance that during the first few months of 2024, the percentage of JW men with beards will be actually be HIGHER than that of worldly men:beard3:

We're gonna rival the Amish :D

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

28 minutes ago, Ishaya said:

Im trying to understand a really good reason to keep beard now,i may want to try it.

throughout my life I've been used to being neatly shaved even before I became a witness,from my training in the military schools I attended.

So what are some really good reasons for a man to keep beard?

I'd say it's just a style choice for most.  Some like them because it helps to offset a weak chin, or an indistinct jawline for example.  Here in Canada, however, it can help to keep your face warm in winter.  Growing up, my mailman used to grow his beard out in winter to help keep him warm while he walked his route.  Let me tell you, it is definitely effective at this!  

12 hours ago, RedRob said:

Why is the term "wear a beard" used

The following are all acceptable English. They mean slightly different things:

"Sporting a beard" means to "display or wear" a beard, usually ostentatiously. It just means that a person has a beard. You probably wouldn't use the word if they were trying to conceal the beard.

"Growing a beard" means to go from not having a beard to having a beard. You don't say someone is "growing a beard" if they have had it for years.

"Keeping a beard" means they have had the beard for a while and are not getting rid of it. "He kept his beard all through summer".

"Keeping a beard trimmed" isn't the same. It means he made sure the beard was always in a trimmed condition.

"Leaving a beard matted" means that you are not grooming the beard. Beards tend to go 'matted' if not groomed, so this person is not doing the grooming.

2 hours ago, TheKid23 said:

So many options available too… 

IMG_8293.jpeg

well ... there is the first problem....im sure we will see many more "Issues"

almost all of those fall into "unnatural colors"

and would therefore be inappropriate for hair color

I see more than some of us sporting the Grey / whitesh beards tho.....lol

I don't think the branch hates denim. It's just that denim is too casual. It doesn't matter if it's jeans, skirt, shirt or jacket. Even in the business world denim is only worn on "casual days". 

I think if we really examine what was said about beards being common in business and government. So it's now a socially acceptable "dress" style for men.

Where as denim hasn't reached that level yet. Are there a few that do always wear it? Sure, but are they the exception or the rule?

We don't want to make them our example to follow.

Believe me I have always been a jeans and button up guy, even toss on a sports jacket image.png.00cb5f159245d2d640aa4e4e7ef90b8d.png

But even though that's neat and clean it's still considered to casual to represent the dignity of our meetings. 

So it's easier to apply the counsel of our recent WT James 3:17 & Heb 13:17.

And I know for me if I spend too much time dwelling on what I "can't do" I start to resent and try to find "loopholes" which is the start of rebellion. 

Jehovah is also a merciful and reasonable God. He understands imperfections and when it comes to footwear we may need something special or less common. I have serious foot problems so shoes like these are best for me image.png.d7104d42b6f25a4b51bdac6fd7565026.png doctor recommended. But those would possibly stumble others, so those are my casual shoes. For meetings  I wear image.png.511e79ec06b7e1af0109fcf5aafb9d05.png Not your typical dress shoes but they don't draw undue attention and meet my physical needs. I wear these for convention and assembly parts. 

4 hours ago, LeolaRootStew said:

IMG_2971.jpeg

I had a lovely suppah and all I said was that piece of halibut was good enough for...!!!

15 hours ago, LeolaRootStew said:

#2 is my favorite. it doesn't overwhelm you face, but gives it a nice, dignified structure. #5 is a good alternative

be suspicious of anyone who recommends #4

I like #2 also - same reason

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

15 hours ago, RedRob said:

I'm hoping to try out the Don Johnson 4 or 5 days growth look.  Do you folks think that this will be acceptable and not cause issues?

Review all of the information about proper dress and grooming and avoiding worldly styles and fads. Let us know what you think.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Review and all of the information about proper dress and grooming and avoiding worldly styles and fads. Let us know what you think.

I think it will likely be fine, so long as it looks good.  So many things are going to be largely determined by how well you can pull it off.  If it looks all patchy and bad, I imagine it will be unacceptable.  Just have to see how it goes!