JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Necktie's history go back much further than that

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/548207

Knots were widely used as amulets because the Egyptians believed they bound and released magic

Know this my beloved brothers, I am not a native English speaker.

Please be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger. (James 1:19)

5 minutes ago, Paulo said:

Knots were widely used as amulets because the Egyptians believed they bound and released magic

This is one of those instances, like with the beards, that we have to trust that Jehovah's FDS did their research and Jehovah blessed their decision.  The midweek meeting covers how far they go doing their research to make sure all of the facts and the proper context is known.

8 minutes ago, Paulo said:

hm so brothers will have to refrain from tying knots now. Feel bad for the ones with boats 🤣

In all honesty i don’t see the connection between neckties and the amulet thing you are mentioning; an amulet would be worn more like a necklace, no?  Going down that rabbit hole could lead a witness to go around saying necklaces are bad because Egyptians started them. 

I don't know if it's already been considered in this thread, but it's worth watching Brother Stephen Lett's video: "Never cause others to stumble" (2 Cor. 6:3) at minute 7

https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/VODPgmEvtMorningWorship/pub-jwbmw_201610_1_VIDEO

It quotes 1 Corinthians 8:9,13 and reminds us that even if we have a right to something, like a beard, we never want to cause our brothers to stumble.

I don't know how it is in your congregation, but for the brothers who are more sensitive to changes, could we give them some time to process what has been announced?

Would it be a case of them gradually getting used to the idea of seeing others, perhaps from other congregations, with beards?

24 minutes ago, Leonard Match Valid said:

I don't know how it is in your congregation, but for the brothers who are more sensitive to changes, could we give them some time to process what has been announced?

Would it be a case of them gradually getting used to the idea of seeing others, perhaps from other congregations, with beards?

Someone's got to get the party started...

Besides...what better way to help them obey the clear unambiguous direction from the GB regarding John 7:24 and Romans 14:4?

If someone seriously can't follow that clear direction regarding not judging another brother regarding beards, of all things, are they really ready to obey for more serious matters during the Great Tribulation?  🤔 🤷‍♂️ 😅

PS - Regarding fast changes....there may not be time for them to "gradually get used to" a change when it comes time to deal with the GT....

Edited by computerwiz

Added the PS

On 12/19/2023 at 7:32 AM, Ishaya said:

Im trying to understand a really good reason to keep beard now,i may want to try it.

throughout my life I've been used to being neatly shaved even before I became a witness,from my training in the military schools I attended.

So what are some really good reasons for a man to keep beard?

Some brothers feel that they become less dogmatic. 

14 hours ago, Jwanon said:

Do you have a link to that talk ? 😄

Not now ... no. A lot of them have been removed. It was either titled 'Don't Lose Heart' or another one. I listened to his talks often back in the day.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

8 hours ago, MontRose said:

You bring up a great point, that perhaps this needs to be clarified or revisited.

My wife has talked to me about this specifically, as have coworkers. The gist is, if it is acceptable at the highest levels of government and offices, as "business formal" or whatever it is called, why it is considered inappropriate during meetings?

I honestly don't know.. I suppose a small video about skirts and pants would be helpful to have next :) 

And apparently there is a lot of interpretation here.. I just looked up "business dress code women" and this was the first picture. It struck me that casual here is actually a common look at meetings :D (the casual one and business would be the only ones appropriate?) 

image.thumb.png.261c354d72fa48dbe84b79f1c0e76c7d.png

As a sister, I don't think I'd ever prefer anything less than the "Business" or "Casual" (maybe) mode of dress for anything representing Jehovah in a formal way. For me, that includes meetings, talks, and official ministry situations, i.e. house to house, cart, or Metro. And to be honest - buying pantsuits or matching separates well enough to look presentable would be more expensive than simply buying a dress.  I don't even own a pantsuit. :shrugs:  It's curious to me that brothers growing beards has correlated to sisters wearing pants.  I do not see how they're the same at all..

I am mindful of how I dress in public *all* the time so that if a preaching occasion comes up, I can represent with a clear conscience. I don't wear ratty sweats, pajama pants, etc... and I always wear a little lipstick and perfume.  That's just me - I don't like looking unkempt. 

Great post Hope. The advice to dress as a Witness of Jehovah whether in town or on holiday still stands ... beard or no beard. Love your posts.

1 minute ago, Hope said:

As a sister, I don't think I'd ever prefer anything less than the "Business" or "Casual" (maybe) mode of dress for anything representing Jehovah in a formal way. For me, that includes meetings, talks, and official ministry situations, i.e. house to house, cart, or Metro. And to be honest - buying pantsuits or matching separates well enough to look presentable would be more expensive than simply buying a dress.  I don't even own a pantsuit. :shrugs:  It's curious to me that brothers growing beards has correlated to sisters wearing pants.  I do not see how they're the same at all..

I am mindful of how I dress in public *all* the time so that if a preaching occasion comes up, I can represent with a clear conscience. I don't wear ratty sweats, pajama pants, etc... and I always wear a little lipstick and perfume.  That's just me - I don't like looking unkempt. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

6 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Did you know that BEARD, BREAD and BARED all use the same letters?

That's amazing!

Amazing what you learn when turtles learn English ... did ya know Satan and .... ahhh never mind!

11 minutes ago, Ishaya said:

Sis Uani,what's you take on materialization of angels?

How do you understand it please!

Maybe you should start a new topic about this, dear @Ishaya since it’s so off topic 😉

Edited by Sofia

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

a sister came by yesterday, She has a Bible student, elderly like us

who is starting her study on the subject of angels. I have a BS who is going on Chapter 4, enjoy life, after a review of Chapter 3. N o questions about beards, yet. Thankful to Jehovah for the blessings that have seen us all through the past few years.

23 hours ago, Brandon said:

hm so brothers will have to refrain from tying knots now. Feel bad for the ones with boats 🤣

In all honesty i don’t see the connection between neckties and the amulet thing you are mentioning; an amulet would be worn more like a necklace, no?  Going down that rabbit hole could lead a witness to go around saying necklaces are bad because Egyptians started them. 

I do not wish to enter any controversy or expand this off-topic.

Of course the link, of the many available, points to the "Isis knot" in the form of a "knotted piece of cloth" "clearly associated with the goddess Isis, the great magician and wife of Osiris.", because "Knots were widely used as amulets".

With this said I exit this discussion.

Know this my beloved brothers, I am not a native English speaker.

Please be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger. (James 1:19)