JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JWLibrary issues

We recently had a remodel and since then the video, especially the songs do very strange things.  we are using the Computer we had before along with all the Hardware, only change was possibly cables and the monitors are different, we had 65inch Samsung that took a hit right before remodel and one died so we replaced them both. They were Samsung as well.

Currently have a Dell XPS with i7 processor running graphics off the motherboard, no added graphics card.

With or Without Zoom running, in JWLibrary When playing a song, video will do one of the following.  1) Play normally, 2) Appear on front monitors but not within the App for 5-10 seconds or so then freeze in the front for several seconds 3) Appear on the App  but be frozen on front monitor.  During all this the music is playing fine.  Here is the weirdest one, start a song and song verse immediately pop up on front monitor and freezes before intro and title screen is done. rare but its happened twice, Also I guess a song froze on front monitors in middle although I did not see it.

In all instances If we are quick to notice and hit the little arrow on upper left that brings up the media while song is playing and click the song again it restarts perfect. 

I have reinstalled display drivers,

Clean reinstall of JWLibrary

Swapped display cables at PC to Computer Monitor and PC to HDMI/SDI converter

removed SDI Splitter and ran direct to SDI Converter box.

Tried both downloaded songs and streaming songs.

I did notice that the Front Monitors are stuck at 24Hz While Computer Monitor is 60Hz. This does NOT follow the cable as when I swapped them it was the same. When I say swapped I can only swap at the Monitor and SDI Converter box as one cable is DP to HDMI and the other is HDMI to HDMI.     I did get this to correct once by pulling power on HDMI to SDI Box and restarting it then 60 Hz showed up but only once.   

I did NOT reinstall windows, or isolate monitors or SDI to HDMI converters in the front monitors. 

My next step is to drag a laptop there and hook everything up and see if I can get the same results which will confirm a Hardware issue. If no issues then

Next Restore Windows, if no fix then

Next install an actual graphics card as possibly the onboard setup is failed or failing.

Only M plays on front Monitors fine.  

Of course if this is a JWLibrary issue I am doing alot of work for nothing.

To me that seems to be a graphics issue.

Have you made sure all the drivers on the Dell XPS are up to date?

You can use the Dell Command Update or go to the Dell Support website and have the website check the drivers on your machine.

Edited by Pabo

Check your Zoom Video settings ... in the "Advance" tab make sure the "Optimize quality of the video I send with de-noise" is NOT selected (it should be the top selection on the advanced screen - check box should be empty)

That setting has caused several video issues since Zoom updated it a few updates ago.

Likewise, if your TV's took a voltage hit, the computer video may have also taken a hit

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

All those Zoom settings have been deselected already, but this is happening without Zoom running.  I initially was blaming Zoom but then I decided to try it without Zoom and same issue.  I got the display drivers right from Intel as well when I did a clean install of those.   we did run several meetings with one monitor before the remodel and it worked fine,  the SDI to HDMI converter on TV that died got reused, possibly that was damaged as well?  I can test that easy enough by disconnecting that TV and trying JWLibrary.  Its pretty obvious when there is an issue.  Try playing some random songs and within 3-6 tries it will begin failing.  

Have you tried just using a generic monitor that can be hooked up by the HDMI on the laptop? If you are repating the same issues, then it is neither the KH's monitors or the connecting hardware. It has to be with the laptop itself.

How old is the laptop? And if possible, what is the service tag ID of the device (usually about a 8-9 digit/letter located either under the laptop), so as to know exactly what build and what components it has. You may wish to send it as a personal message to me instead of posting it out in public. Hence one of the reason I like Dell computers, the servicability is awesome.

Its not a laptop, desktop purchased when we returned in person.   I think I have isolated something interesting.  I tried each monitor in front individually by disconnecting it from system totally and checking each available setting on running monitor in windows display settings, both were the same.  I found if I set the front Monitors to 720p in windows  that allowed me to set the refresh rate to 60Hz to match the PC monitor.  As of yesterday I must have started 20 songs and the issue seemed resolved with only a certain song or two out of the 20 having a very short delay, 1-2  seconds, in coming up on PC monitor compared to front, but by the time the title page was done both videos were perfectly in sync, if this minor glitch was noticed 5 months ago I would not have even raised a red flag and brushed it off as a JWLibrary glitch..    Keep in mind the HDMI to SDI converter is the original no name one from the branch package. The original branch monitors are long gone, one had showed up defective so we donated the other to a smaller Hall and bought Samsungs.  I do not recall what I had used for settings in the old PC but could it be this old converter was limiting my ability to run 1080 on front monitors at 60Hz? Only 1080 at 24Hz was available.   Since all branch videos are only 720 there is zero impact on quality.   I had found online that mismatched refresh rates can cause display issues on extended monitors when a video or game is trying to run at same time on both.  Without just spending money on a new converter to test my theory I will wait to see if we get multiple meetings without a glitch.  

Well, last night had a song or two hang on front monitor, middle song stuck at intro screen for a extra few seconds while song was into first verse, last song froze on intro screen slightly faded looking but caught up by the time first verse came on so other than the faded look nobody would have noticed.   After meeting went back and tried to get song to hang again with only JWLibrary open and it sorta did after a bunch of tries.   I noticed Dell had a firmware update and I installed that but same thing, got a couple songs to Hang up front after multiple tries.  

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a good 6 hours at Hall yesterday trying to figure out issue.. Here are my findings

Used another Win11 computer, newer i5 laptop specifically and tied this into video system at hall.. tried playing videos, same issue. Delays on front screen, delays within JWL app while showing on front monitor. Songs only and also the intro to Bible books did it, normal videos were fine.  So mind you brand new JWL app loaded up and same issue..

Used Laptop directly to front monitor with a powered longer HDMI cable, bypassed all converters and cable, many more resolution options appeared to pick from.  Same issue with odd delays and freezups within JWL app or on large front monitor.   

Used same laptop with older 40 inch monitor purchased in 2014 from branch in second school.  Even worse issues with freezing and not showing songs.  

Used my Surface pro tablet tied into main auditorium and it played about 6 songs flawlessly. It may have froze if i tried more but no issues.. Also Win 11, however was updated to 11 not full purchase.  

I am beginning to think Win11, onboard intel video adapter and JWLibrary are not playing nice, I did roll back some updates on our main PC but still have issues. 

Beginning to think I need to just get a Nvidia Display Card and let Nvidia figure out the monitors instead of Intel.  Our PC is no slouch as when we bought it we expected heavy use with Zoom and JWLibrary.   And it worked fine August when we tore our Hall down.  Its like the Song files are corrupt as like mentioned before, clicking the song in Media sometimes produces the first verse of lyrics on monitors instantly instead of the title page. Its primarily launching the songs is when it glitches. rarely in the middle.   I was hoping a second PC would work fine and I would restore the main one but exact same issue with three different setups.   To add to the confusion many time the song with play fine no issue, but it seems if a specific song messes up it will multiple times in a row., delete redownload doesn't always help.  

I should add, I am the one who installed initial video systems back in 2012 using a projector, updated to monitors in 2014, set up Zoom cameras even before pandemic allowing Zoom participants to comment.  Updated PC in 2022 when we returned to meetings.. All with no help or issues like this. I am baffled and what I fear is if its a JW Library issue or Windows issue I am beating my head for nothing..

Edited by Edward

I know how frustrating this can be. I had to get a second display card for our LDC provided HP computer, the onboard DP into HDMI into SDI would very occasionally fail, not nearly often enough to troubleshoot with anything meaningful but when it failed it ruined whole meetings, reboots usually wouldn't fix it. It has run well after installing the video card.

I did see some sync issues when we tried using the LDC provided all-in-one computer to run media because the HP was lost in shipping and waiting for replacement. The onboard AMD graphics and audio decode had serious driver issues causing distortion and lag.

I have encountered issues with the Blackmagic SDI to HDMI converters not handing 1080p at times. They either work or don't, no middle ground.

I found having an iPad with the HDMI converter dongle thing useful for troubleshooting when the computer was acting up, could confirm that there was nothing wrong with the SDI system.

Hopefully I found the issue.  Dell/Windows/Intel.  The installed driver was indeed newest one, however in scanning with Dells tool it had a driver update to download from Oct 23, 2023, however it was actually an older version.  According to windows and Intel scans the current driver was correct.  Anyhow used Dells recommended driver and boom.  Fixed… i assume the newer laptop has a similar issue and if I looked at HP’s site it would be offering an older version to correct faulty driver. According to update history, the new driver with issues was installed mid October, right before remodel ended by LDC and right before Dell figured that driver was bad.. Tried like 40 songs, all started up no glitch.    It answers why everything worked pre remodel and has not been right since.  

The only issue I find with JWLibrary is that when looking for a morning worship video there’s no way to do a search. 

Not any easier on Roku. 😬

They recently added or moved videos to the end of the videos and that has moved everything else forward. 😳

We made a list of videos starting at the back (2014) and now still going by that list is hard to find them.  Well, at least I’m having trouble. 

For example: trying to find Br. Let’s talk “Beware of overconfidence”. 

I found it on the website but not seeing it in JWLibrary 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

On 12/29/2023 at 12:52 PM, Edward said:

Hopefully I found the issue.  Dell/Windows/Intel.  The installed driver was indeed newest one, however in scanning with Dells tool it had a driver update to download from Oct 23, 2023, however it was actually an older version.  According to windows and Intel scans the current driver was correct.  Anyhow used Dells recommended driver and boom.  Fixed… i assume the newer laptop has a similar issue and if I looked at HP’s site it would be offering an older version to correct faulty driver. According to update history, the new driver with issues was installed mid October, right before remodel ended by LDC and right before Dell figured that driver was bad.. Tried like 40 songs, all started up no glitch.    It answers why everything worked pre remodel and has not been right since.  

That is why at times I don't trust Windows updates for drivers, at times they can be troublesome. I always refer to the manufacturer of the computer or specific component if I get issues.

The desktop computer we use at the KH in a Dell Vostro 220 Midi Tower running Win10 64bit, which has its original i5 2Gen CPU, but we upgraded the 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD boot drive and  2TB WD Black HDD and a NVidia GT1080i Graphics Card with DVI-D, HDMI and 2xDP outputs. We use all 4 monitor outputs where the one DP outlet has a DP/HDMI convertor connected to the BlackMagic HDMI to SDI device for the stage monitors, the DVI-D output for the sound desk Zoom Monitor, a HDMI output is for the ceiling monitor which is a duplication of the sound desk monitor, and the second DP output for the 34" wide curved monitor which has the other programs that we use to conduct our meetings. The 34" monitor has JWLib, Groove for before after meeting music, OBS for our PTZ camera controls and monitor input into Zoom, OnlyM, also at times Mozilla which we can access our meeting schedule online, and lastly the Zoom Participants list.

We haven't had too much issues, even though the computer original motherboard, power supply and outershell is over 12 years old!

Edited by Pabo

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 2:52 AM, Edward said:

Rarely trust windows drivers update, my brother. 

Driver updates of camera, monitor, audio, I always get them directly from the computer manufacturer, or I get the device ID and search for the driver from drpio and do a manual install.