JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Neighbors who smoke :tsk:

I just need to vent.

My next door neighbors (middle aged couple) both smoke. Their favorite place to smoke is on their side porch, which is about 8 feet from the side of my house. Any time I open my windows on that side, one or both of them will inevitably come out and start smoking. They're not doing it on purpose to torment me, but it is definitely a bother to me. Also, I have a back patio... but again, it's over on that side of the house, so if I'm out there and one of them comes out for a smoke, the cloud of smoke almost inevitably drifts over to my patio.

I'm not exactly on good terms with this couple. When I first moved in, they came to welcome me to the neighborhood. They said that if I needed a church, they would love to recommend theirs. Or course, I took that opportunity to witness to them... and their happy, welcoming visit ended rather abruptly. Any time I've tried having friendly "neighborly" conversations with them, they are very short and abrupt with me. I haven't even tried witnessing to them again because of the clear indication I got that they must not like Witnesses.

I've tried doing things to subtly give them the hint that I don't want their smell coming onto my property. Nowadays when I open my window on that side of the house, I put in a window fan and have it blowing out, directly toward their porch. This does help keep the smoke from coming into my house, but so far I haven't thought of a way to keep the smoke away from my patio.

Several times, I have almost gone over and just asked them to find another place to smoke, but I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't go well, given the cold reception I get when I even try talking to them about "friendly" things, like gardening, the weather, the neighborhood, etc. Plus... there isn't anywhere else on their house where they can sit in the shade, just that porch.

Anyone else have to deal with smelly, smoky neighbors?

Many cities and counties in the US have different smoking laws and ordinances. In some places it is illegal to smoke within 30 feet of any buildings, where in some places the law applies to businesses only. You might call your local health department to see what, if any laws might apply.

From what I understand, most cities do not prevent people from smoking on their property. Cities will enact laws preventing people from smoking inside of businesses and as Chuck said within 30 feet of the business, but a person's own home and property is not usually included. Now when it comes to condo's, that is different. There are cities where you can't smoke in the condo, so while you may own the condo because it is attached to other homes, you may not be able to smoke in it. But a home that is not attached to other homes is usually not included in those bans.

Here is a list of all the laws for each state in the United States:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans_in_the_United_States

I too have an unfriendly neighbor, and it is tough. Not much you can do. Don't push anything with them. If you see them outside, say hello. Always be polite to them. Some neighbors though just are not friendly and don't really want to talk to the rest of the neighborhood, not much you can do. Also, keep your property clean and tidy, mow the lawn on a regular basis. Never give the neighbor a reason to dislike you.

I live in a block of flats, and my neighbours are Pot smoking Lesbians from Slovakia.

When you go out into the hall to get the lift in the mornings you can smell that sweet sickly

smoke. What they do in their own house is their business, but other neighbours are now

complaining. I can appreciate what you are going through.

Why not try and be a bit more friendly towards them and say Hello, and then try and start a conversation

with them ,like what brand is that i can smell ti, it is very strong? Try not to offend them, and perhaps they will

get the drift.

That's a good idea. I'll check. I would certainly love to find out that the law forbade them to smoke on their own porch! They should smoke inside of their house. Let them breathe the foul air, not me.

Keep in mind, their porch is their property, same as their yard. They own it, so they can smoke on it.

I understand and appreciate your frustration on this matter, but just as they can't tell you what to do on your property, the same applies to them, you can't tell them where they can smoke on their property.

If the situation though is too much for you, the most you can do is ask them to smoke some other place in their yard away from your window. They may not agree to do that, and legally, there is nothing you will be able to do on that matter.

As to breathing the foul air, you are already breathing foul air, the pollution in the US is soooo bad. We are all breathing such garbage every day, and I am sure this has contributed to the rise in asthma, allergies and all other kinds of breathing problems.

It will be nice when Jehovah cleans up the earth and the air we breathe. I can't begin to imagine what breathing clean air is going to be like!!!!!

If they are already unfriendly, I can only imagine however nicely your broach the subject of their smoke that it will only make things worse! Hmmm, possibly a fan on THEIR side of the fence blowing smoke to your side?

Is there any way you can plant some flowers, vines or shrubs to help filter the air? Flowering ones would be especially nice. Gardenia, honeysuckle, jasmine, lady banks roses...just to name a few. Depending on your climate, that may be an option.

Good idea, Lisa!

Ok, I'm brainstorming here: How about playing Kingdom Melodies so they can 'benefit' from our beautiful songs?! 'We're Jehovah's Witnesses' comes to mind...This is a little 'tongue-in-cheek', but who knows? It may work--they may find our songs intolerable and choose to smoke elsewhere.

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

Some cities are passing laws of no smoking within a certain number of feet from ANY other dwelling, even in your own home. Like Santa Monica, CA:

http://www.smdp.com/Articles-c-2010-09-08-70276.113116-Latest-smoking-ban-takes-effect.html

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/california-town-considering-total-outdoor-smoking-ban-%E2%80%94-even-on-private-property/

Good idea, Lisa!

Ok, I'm brainstorming here: How about playing Kingdom Melodies so they can 'benefit' from our beautiful songs?! 'We're Jehovah's Witnesses' comes to mind...This is a little 'tongue-in-cheek', but who knows? It may work--they may find our songs intolerable and choose to smoke elsewhere.

Actually, when we had Muslim neighbours who insisted on their music played loudly, we did just that and it was effective!

Some cities are passing laws of no smoking within a certain number of feet from ANY other dwelling, even in your own home. Like Santa Monica, CA:

http://www.smdp.com/Articles-c-2010-09-08-70276.113116-Latest-smoking-ban-takes-effect.html

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/california-town-considering-total-outdoor-smoking-ban-%E2%80%94-even-on-private-property/

The one in Santa Monica says Apartment buildings, that is different from your own private home that is not attached to other homes. People do not own apartments, they rent them, and landlords can institute any regulation they choose. From the article:

" it's illegal to smoke outdoors within 25-feet of any apartment building door, window or vent — a rule aimed at preventing smokers from lighting up on patios and balconies of multi-unit residential properties."

This does not apply to your own home that is not attached to other homes.

The other one says they are considering it, has not passed.

As I said earlier, I am not aware that there are any laws preventing ones from smoking in their home/or on their property if the home is detached. Many condo's have regulations on this, just as apartments, but separate homes are different.

I looked at that wikipedia link I quoted earlier, and it does not appear that in any state, is it against the law to smoke in your own private yard.

IT is a very much me first world people don't concern themselves with others feelings, certainly no more neighborly love..

I went on a friends return visit. This lady lives meters from the beach. great views and she has lived in the same house for 50 years.

and the neighbors near her are like 20 and under they smoke marijuana and she has asked many times to not smoke near her house

they of cause refuse and she has to put up because they rent...even on a mega hot summers day she has to keep her windows shut

and doors. they cause her lots of trouble..even the landlord who could help her and the real estate managers won't lift a finger. Its so sad.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I too have smelly and smoky neighbors and always had.

I have had a family of five heavy smokers living downstairs!

Imagine, each minute of the day one of them were smoking through the window and smoke went right into my apartment.

It took 10 years of prayers to move them out. :sweat:

But the woman that came instead of them now fries and cooks something smelly whole the day long, so I'm still learning what long-suffering is.

She knows I'm a Witness and hates me that much, that she doesn't say hello to me but whispers prayers "to protect herself".

Poor people...

What I think might help in your situation is to start watering flowers and lawns with a hose every time they are smoking.

No one law forbids you to put water on your back yard, and what a big deal if some of water drop on their porch? ;)

By the way, evaporating water creates a "barrier" between your's and your's neighbors property.

"Absolute rubbish”

The man next door smokes on his porch very early in the morning. I don't mention it to him because he's a very nice man. I'm sure he has no idea his smoke filters into my bedroom.

Right now though there's polluted air of a different sort going past our house. A 4th of July parade. Gah!

I just need to vent.

Everybody needs to do that at some point.

Or did you mean, you need to vent(ilate) your apartment because the horrible odour of smoking is coming in? :bringiton:

(*awful joke drum roll* I'll get me coat... :scooter:)

But actually, I find it great not being the only one having it rough to stand the odour of smoking. And for me, it's not only because I believe in Bible principles that I am against it. My sensory impairments often cause that too much of loud voices of discussions, or in this strong odours, are too much to bear. I live in the first floor of an apartment complex, my windows being probably less than two meters above the ground, and have to stand with people going outside and smoking in front of the front door. This tends to a nuisance especially during the warmer summer months :hammer:

I've also reached the conclusion that out of all the people who could care less for their fellow humans, smokers are among the worst, they seem to hold non-smokers in no regard whatsoever. Waiting for a bus becomes tedious, having to stand nearby all the smokers who gladly ignore the unwritten rule of NOT smoking under the shelter. Uh oh, I could really go on and on and on about this... At some sporting events I attend where smoking still is allowed on stands, my coughing and having to stand the smoke makes things unbearable.

--

I live in a block of flats, and my neighbours are Pot smoking Lesbians from Slovakia.

Not knowing more of your neighbours so can't judge them, really, but if you see them somewhere outside, can you learn to say something in Slovakian? ;)

Such as "Chceli by ste spoznať pravdu?" -- Would You Like to Know the Truth?

Or if pronunciation of various Slavic languages seems too tedious, can you obtain some basic literature in Slovakian? One would think that when they realise you're a Witness and have something to offer in Slovak, they'd leave you in peace, HA!

Edit: Forgot the link to the page where I got the phrase in Slovak, http://www.watchtower.org/v/kt/article_01.htm

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29