JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Another Nutter in a Cinema

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4283 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Gun Cache Discovered_Boston stands warned

A Maine man pulled over for speeding early yesterday morning told cops he brought a loaded gun into a showing of the new “Batman” flick and had a car full of weapons and press clippings from the Colorado movie massacre, authorities report.

Maine State Police say after they arrested Timothy Courtois, 49, around 10 a.m. yesterday morning, they found even more firearms at his Biddeford home, including a machine gun, and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

After police stopped his Mustang on the southbound side of the Maine Turnpike, he told them he was heading to Derry, N.H., to shoot his “former employer,” authorities said. He also admitted to hiding a loaded gun in his backpack during a screening of “The Dark Knight Rises” at a Saco Maine, theater the night before, police said.

Inside his car, which police clocked at 112 mph, troopers found an AK-47 assault weapon, four handguns and several boxes of ammunition, police said.

“We don’t know truly what his intentions were,” said Maine State Police spokesman Stephen McCausland.

The startling discovery came just two days after police say a deranged gunman burst into an suburban Denver cinema and opened fire, killing 12 people and injuring 58 others in one of the worst mass shootings in U.S. History.

Courtois was held on $50,000 cash bail following his arraignment today at Maine’s Springvale District Court on initial charges of having a concealed weapon and criminal speed, police said. The York County District Attorney’s Office and the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Portland is reviewing the case to see if additional federal charges will be lodged against Courtois.

Gun Cache Discovered_Boston stands warned

A Maine man pulled over for speeding early yesterday morning told cops he brought a loaded gun into a showing of the new “Batman” flick and had a car full of weapons and press clippings from the Colorado movie massacre, authorities report.

Maine State Police say after they arrested Timothy Courtois, 49, around 10 a.m. yesterday morning, they found even more firearms at his Biddeford home, including a machine gun, and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

After police stopped his Mustang on the southbound side of the Maine Turnpike, he told them he was heading to Derry, N.H., to shoot his “former employer,” authorities said. He also admitted to hiding a loaded gun in his backpack during a screening of “The Dark Knight Rises” at a Saco Maine, theater the night before, police said.

Inside his car, which police clocked at 112 mph, troopers found an AK-47 assault weapon, four handguns and several boxes of ammunition, police said.

“We don’t know truly what his intentions were,” said Maine State Police spokesman Stephen McCausland.

The startling discovery came just two days after police say a deranged gunman burst into an suburban Denver cinema and opened fire, killing 12 people and injuring 58 others in one of the worst mass shootings in U.S. History.

Courtois was held on $50,000 cash bail following his arraignment today at Maine’s Springvale District Court on initial charges of having a concealed weapon and criminal speed, police said. The York County District Attorney’s Office and the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Portland is reviewing the case to see if additional federal charges will be lodged against Courtois.

I haven't paid attention to the news much lately..Then I have heard snip bits of this shooting. Its sad when someone feels the need to go on a rampage.

Does anyone know what triggered him of?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Classic copy cat. I remember seeing a documentary on serial killers and one expert said the single most significant thing that can be done to reduce these mass random killings is to give them no to minimal media coverage since the killer is seeking (whether in life or in death) notoriety.

So this could of been an unfortunate copycat. What's up with unstable people owning machine guns? I mean, I know people own guns, but machine guns?

The vast majority of AK-47s are not true machine guns. They are regular guns that you pull the trigger and only one bullet comes out. Its a cheap, reliable gun that is easy to get, but its not actually a machine gun. The media mis-represents them very often.

So this could of been an unfortunate copycat. What's up with unstable people owning machine guns? I mean, I know people own guns, but machine guns?

The vast majority of AK-47s are not true machine guns. They are regular guns that you pull the trigger and only one bullet comes out. Its a cheap, reliable gun that is easy to get, but its not actually a machine gun. The media mis-represents them very often.

Or I can just hop on down to my local Gun Store and try one out - http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-gun-store-las-vegas

Or maybe just rent one - http://thegunstorelasvegas.com/gun-rentals

I am guessing we won't have gun stores like this in the New World, eh?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Or I can just hop on down to my local Gun Store and try one out - http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-gun-store-las-vegas

I guess that would open up the debate on whether or not we will be able to eat meat in the new system... I for one hope I can still hunt and fish. I don't wanna give up venison!

I guess that would open up the debate on whether or not we will be able to eat meat in the new system... I for one hope I can still hunt and fish. I don't wanna give up venison!

Me either, but I am guessing if I shoot a deer with a fully automatic weapon - there won't be much that is tasty - eh?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Me either, but I am guessing if I shoot a deer with a fully automatic weapon - there won't be much that is tasty - eh?

Haha, very true. What I was saying earlier is that the media reports many weapons as full-auto when they aren't. Full auto is very difficult to legally obtain. The AR-15 that was used in that terrible shooting is just a semi-auto clone of a military weapon, but lots of people, thanks to the media, get confused. If guns are banned in this system, I'd be dissapointed, but I can still hunt with a bow. Sad that people and governments use them to harm others, but that's Satan's system.

Now the rental's in the store you linked are true full auto, they look like they would be fun to shoot. I've only had the chance to use something like that once. Its a thrill, but too expensive for my taste, ammo costs money.

Our news is sketchy we get mostly country news. So we miss out on what happens in the world. What set this guy of?

Can someone please fill me in as to what happened. We get a little of this story but not the full story.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Gun Approvals Increase in Colorado

News headlines today should make every movie goer shiver.

You will all be sitting in cinemas now with very nervous patrons, all packing heat and making sure they can defend themselves.

Popcorn and drinks are now second priority to self protection. Nobody will be able to say they didn't see this coming.

Every situation is different, Chuck. Its a hotly debated subject, but studies have proven that states that adopted CCW laws have actually seen a decrease in crime. A crowded dark theater with hundreds of people running around is a tough shot, particularly at this nut who was in armor. It seems the cities with the toughest gun laws (in the US) have the highest crime rates. This theater was a "gun free zone" by their corporate policy, so even ones who had a state issued CCW were disarmed in that theater if they adhered to the policy. I would be shocked if there are not a flood of lawsuits over this particular matter.

I'm pretty sure if someone tried that stunt in Texas they wouldn't be able to walk out of that theater alive. Texans like their guns and carry them everywhere. The zoo, Walmart, Dr office, it's like a wallet to most of them, they don't leave home without it. I know a mom who keeps hers in her pretty Coach diaper bag. I asked her "are ya going to drop the baby to pull the gun out?". Just crazy.

So this topic sinks to new lows.

How disappointing to see Moderators use a sad event to make light of a renowned tragedy.

When signing up to join here, we are put through a raft of Qu’s and told we need to be truthful about our application. Good start. BUT what happens if/when a member with a Christian conscience states an opinion that is based on the Bible? Top ranking members call them ‘silly’ and replace honest observations with the IMO which substitutes as good advice for unscriptural sidestepping and excuse making for walking fine lines of behaviour. Then other members ‘Quote’ them in cheers of well done.

Comments just above this, show a Moderator display two links to his neighbourhood gun store!!!

What is that about?

NEWS is the most Publicly visible area and email alerts invite people here each day.

Admin Bob posted in the News header that News had to be of a quality and structure that would be suitable to email interested people (Witness & worldly) who visit here to read the posted subjects.

What they get when they arrive here is a view of a Witness moderated board that has members who post pro-gun propaganda and instead of violence being abhorrent it is OK if you watch it in a theatre or in private at home. That is not what our magazines will be saying as we deliver them in coming months. One pays money for things they like so a movie ticket is a way of saying ‘I like it’.

Suggestion: Tell new signees the real truth when they apply . .put the NRA logo up where it can be seen alongside the JWT logo. They won’t waste their time if they are given the real choice.

If this opinion shocks you . . look up to the top of this page and see if the links to a Gunshop has the same effect. . . it should. ;)

Gun Approvals Increase in Colorado

News headlines today should make every movie goer shiver.

You will all be sitting in cinemas now with very nervous patrons, all packing heat and making sure they can defend themselves.

Popcorn and drinks are now second priority to self protection. Nobody will be able to say they didn't see this coming.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Something like this happens once in a blue moon. I go see a movie once in a blue moon, or about once every year and a half to be exact. And besides, those people seeking protection are not the ones to worry about, it is the occasional psychopath that shoots up a {fill in the blank} and you know what, he has his guns anyway, and is sitting next to you on the bus, shopping the next clothing rack at Walmart, and eating a burger in the same restaurant as you are.

It's this system of things. We know it is crazy. We take precautions. But we need not live life in a perpetual terrified state.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

How disappointing to see Moderators use a sad event to make light of a renowned tragedy.

When signing up to join here, we are put through a raft of Qu’s and told we need to be truthful about our application. Good start. BUT what happens if/when a member with a Christian conscience states an opinion that is based on the Bible? Top ranking members call them ‘silly’ and replace honest observations with the IMO which substitutes as good advice for unscriptural sidestepping and excuse making for walking fine lines of behaviour. Then other members ‘Quote’ them in cheers of well done.

Comments just above this, show a Moderator display two links to his neighbourhood gun store!!!

What is that about?

NEWS is the most Publicly visible area and email alerts invite people here each day.

Admin Bob posted in the News header that News had to be of a quality and structure that would be suitable to email interested people (Witness & worldly) who visit here to read the posted subjects.

What they get when they arrive here is a view of a Witness moderated board that has members who post pro-gun propaganda and instead of violence being abhorrent it is OK if you watch it in a theatre or in private at home. That is not what our magazines will be saying as we deliver them in coming months. One pays money for things they like so a movie ticket is a way of saying ‘I like it’.

Suggestion: Tell new signees the real truth when they apply . .put the NRA logo up where it can be seen alongside the JWT logo. They won’t waste their time if they are given the real choice.

If this opinion shocks you . . look up to the top of this page and see if the links to a Gunshop has the same effect. . . it should. ;)

You do have a very valid point. If we wouldn't take up arms against fellow mankind in a situation of war, why would we take up arms in hope of protecting ourselves in a situation like this? It's not justifiable.

If our total reliance is on Jehovah, we would not stoop to the level of the shooter by arming ourselves. We would make use of other provisions like intellect, which tells us in a darkened theatre with people running this way and that the smartest thing to do would be to find a place to hide and make yourself as invisible as possible. In other news reports I seen, it seems that he was shooting at those who moved. Likely because he considered them to be a possible threat.

In the army you systematically advance only after ascertaining the way is clear, or you essentially HIDE and wait for the danger to pass. If the shot presents itself then they take him/her out, that's the whole purpose of the camouflage fatigues that you wear. You blend in with the scenery and you move only when the situation is under control.

Granted this is easy for me to say having not been there, but I truly think I would have hid. That being said though, I wouldn't have been at that movie in the first place - it's incredibly violent.

Nobody was suggesting that we take up arms. Jan posted an article about how gun applications increased after the unfortunate incident, and so quite naturally the discussion veered towards that of "would less people have died if someone was armed and popped one in the assailant?". Obviously the answer is yes.

But then this becomes a political issue, that of gun control laws. There are heated debates taking place on british news sites that have reported the story over this very thing. Fortunately, nobody on this site is promoting any propaganda, one way or another.

There's nothing wrong with owning guns, as many brothers use them for hunting. But we would not want to carry them around and increase the risk of putting us in a position where we might become bloodguilty. At least I wouldnt. But the other brothers and sisters that do, that's their conscientious choice and I will do the christian thing and not criticize or pass judgment on them for it.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Nobody was suggesting that we take up arms. Jan posted an article about how gun applications increased after the unfortunate incident, and so quite naturally the discussion veered towards that of "would less people have died if someone was armed and popped one in the assailant?". Obviously the answer is yes.

:offtopic: No, the answer is not, obviously, "yes." At least, to me, it's not that obivous. I've been keeping up with a similar discussion on a SciFi DB. At first I was like you and that the answer was an obvious "yes," but changed my mind. Suppose for instance someone else in the theater had a gun. Now you have 2 people shooting at each other. You also have gunfire sounds coming from the movie itself. The crowd, hearing gunfire from 3 different directions, scrambles even more confusedly than they really did. The assailant had body armor which would help protect from anyone else attacking him. The assailant had a semi-auto rifle and so, possibly, had more firepower than the typical CCW person who would only have a handgun.

Not saying more people would have died (but it's possible due to "friendly fire" ) But I'm not sure it's obvious that less would have died. :offtopic:

We now return you to our on-topic conversation.

See? what Bob and Shawn are doing is participating in a discussion, not advocating about Gun control, gun ownership etc.

Obviously everybody here looks forward to the time when these situations will no longer happen or even be discussed!

Different people have different ways of dealing with tragedies. note: this topic was NOT about a tragedy, but one that was prevented. Therefor, this should be a happy topic, yes? We are happy when tragedies are avoided. :yes:

What is that about?

It looks like a reply about FULL automatic weapons and how easily they are available - not an avocation for or against more or less gun control, as avocation for or against is advocating and NOT staying neutral. A stating of the current state of gun availability would be a neutral comment.

I for one would be SHOCKED if we put a NRA logo next to the JWTalk logo. Why would we advocate for or against gun control or add the logo with ours of those who do? That of course would be just as bad as adding a logo for some Pro Gun Control group.

I am guessing we won't have gun stores like that in the New World, eh? (note: this is a repeat of a rhetorical questions asked in the same post)

Soon .....

Didn't mean to offend by any of my comments, I chimed in because I am somewhat knowledgeable on the subject. Guns are a topic that obviously some people feel strongly about. For the ones in my home, they are the equivalent of fishing rods. Its how I feed myself and my family, times have gotten VERY tight during times without work, but with them and the garden I have been able to feed my family even with almost no money in the bank. If that bothers anyone, I'm sorry but its the best solution I've been able to come up with. They only leave the home when I use them to hunt or practice. I don't carry them around with me or even keep one under the pillow.

I did not take the links posted as being an advertisement by any means, in fact I think the poster meant quite the opposite, we were just light-heartedly joking about them. I don't think anyone here intended to make light of the actual terrible situation which occurred. Hope if any feelings were hurt, we can all be christian and forgive, even if we learn that we disagree on some matters.