JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Trying to get Motivated.

I have been trying to get Motivated to get fit & lose some Kgs, Its been a hard slug over the last for years, Now I am going to try again, & My Brother is going to be getting Married next year so. I also want to trim down.

Does anyone have some tips please? & Thanks.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Stop eating ! :)

Ha Ha ..I was going to say the same thing :whistling:

LOL> Thanks guys food is not to much of an Issue. I eat mostly healthy. Its due to other areas in life. Like operations. etc. That has led to not being able to do as much. & being on alot of painkillers has slowed me. So its from this angle that I am trying to breakaway.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

What worked for me is low carb. Last year I read a book called Metabolism Miracle so I decided to give it a try. I lost about 28 lbs in about 7-8 weeks by being VERY strict with my carbs. This book describes Met B syndrome (which I'm not exactly sure I have, but it sounded so much like me that I decided to give it a shot) and you only have about 15 gr carbs PER DAY for the first 8 weeks. Then you bump up to 11-20 gr three times per day. It retrains your pancreas how to process the carbs. It worked GREAT for me & I felt SO good. Then I got lazy & I've put it all back on. :( I just can't get motivated to do that again so I'm trying to just limit my carbs & eat higher protein. I do protein shakes and bars with about 20-25 gr protein in each. I need to incorporate regular exercise into it which I'm not good at. I have a commercial cleaning business so my work is active, but I need something beyond that. I really believe that the same thing doesn't work for everyone so you just have to find what works for you.

Stop eating ! :)

Ha Ha ..I was going to say the same thing :whistling:

LOL> Thanks guys food is not to much of an Issue. I eat mostly healthy. Its due to other areas in life. Like operations. etc. That has led to not being able to do as much. & being on alot of painkillers has slowed me. So its from this angle that I am trying to breakaway.

Become a pioneer and spent two hours daily on the street witnessing

There exists the one speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise ones is a healing. Because, pleasant sayings are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and a healing to the bones.(Proverbs 12:18,16:24)

I notice you spend an inordinate amount of time each day on this Forum...Perhaps you should consider limiting the time you sit in front of the computer and give yourself the opportunity to get out and exercise or just take a walk... just saying...

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

My advice would be not to follow any fixed diet (like Atkins; etc). Watch the quantities you eat and use the ideas of the Eatwell Plate:

eatwell%20plate%20377%20sized.jpg

Eat more vegetables and fruit and fewer carbs and protein, but remember you need a balanced diet - so even if things seem bad for you, just eat a smaller amount.

Whatever exercise you can do is a bonus.

I am very limited in my physical exercise because of my heart condition, but very slowly I have lost 16Kg over a year or so. The thing is, I have now a settled routine which means continued slow weight loss without feeling hungry.

Always remember you need a 'treat' occasionally - so if you are counting calories (always a good thing) save up for something special by eating fewer calories in readiness!

I have been trying to get Motivated to get fit & lose some Kgs, Its been a hard slug over the last for years, Now I am going to try again, & My Brother is going to be getting Married next year so. I also want to trim down.

I have been trying to jumpstart myself to better health also. It is so hard, I start off pretty good and then little by little I find myself slipping back into my old habits. Recently I watched 2 documentories they were both verry good and I am goin to try to incorperate both of them in my quest for better health. One of them is called Forks over knives, and the other is Sick fat and nearly dead, which I thought described me to a T. I am going on a short Vacation to Canada and I am going to take my Juicer with me I am going to try to eat just fruits, veggies, smoothies and veg juices that I make myself. I figure if rely on public transit I won't be able to stop and grab something that I shouldn't. I hope that 4 days of doing this will give me the start that i need and I will be able to keep it up when I get back home. I've been trying to do this for the past month but there are so many things going on at home that I sometimes find myself eating something not healthy before I even realize it. I will post an update soon. hope the documentories help

What worked for me is low carb.

I am an Atkins myself, but not the perpetuated myth Atkins (eat nothing but meat & butter) but the actual by-the-book Atkins, namely, eat nutrient rich whole foods only.

I am a member of http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/index.php and that site is a wonderful resource for "low carb" recipes. You can eat like a king on this diet, lose weight, enjoy life, and feel amazingly healthy.

I also have my own meal replacement shake recipe that i start the day off with.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

You care to share? I have one of atkins low carb shakes every morning for breakfast, i mix in the blender with flaxmeal.

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

What worked for me is low carb.

I am an Atkins myself, but not the perpetuated myth Atkins (eat nothing but meat & butter) but the actual by-the-book Atkins, namely, eat nutrient rich whole foods only.

I am a member of http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/index.php and that site is a wonderful resource for "low carb" recipes. You can eat like a king on this diet, lose weight, enjoy life, and feel amazingly healthy.

Interesting forum. I will have a look into it some more. thanks.

I went an saw a Food Coach, & a PT. So I have made some Plans. I thought I would get some ideas as well. I never thought of Food being a comfort thing. Thanks all for your imput.

I, too, found the healthy whole food carbs to help combined with building muscle (resistance training)... until I had my car accident 8 years ago, now I struggle to do any of the shoulder, arm, neck involved types of exercise which were working so well for me. I was doing Curves (both eating plan and 3x's a week 30 minute circuit) before the accident. I've tried to go back twice, after the accident, but even with physio and professional help, I can not do what I did then.

In my case, walking / stationary bike / aerobics, doesn't do what resistance training does since I suffer from an insulin resistance disorder. The most effective way to boost your metabolism with that is thru muscle resistance. It helps regulate the insulin production / use and muscle uses more energy.

I felt great on my Curves regime. I try to do the large muscle groups that I can do (thighs, calves, butt) and my secular work of cleaning desks does do something for my upper arm muscles (also stresses my neck and shoulders so I do have to do it in small doses and stretch alot / take breaks).

Now, I also, contend with a lower back injury that causes my leg (all down the left side to the knee) to go numb whenever I stand or walk for too long / far. That happened the last time we moved (Nov 2011), so has curtailled my ability to walk around the block or on the treadmill... even in the grocery store walking to the back of the store or in service or at work, my leg goes numb. Only thing I can do is the stationary bike now but at least it is something. I listen to my mp3's of the magazines while doing it and prop my magazine up on the front (found a way to do it with velcro on thick pieces of ribbon).... doing two things at once. Only thing is I've not been very good about doing it lately but hope to get back into routine when we are settled / moved again.

I have heard really good things about T-tap, especially for those with injuries, elderly, or disabled in some way (fibromyalgia, etc). I plan to try it when I can get the $ to buy. Here is the website:

http://www.t-tapp.com/

I have heard really good things about T-tap, especially for those with injuries, elderly, or disabled in some way (fibromyalgia, etc). I plan to try it when I can get the $ to buy. Here is the website:

http://www.t-tapp.com/

I know some sisters who have used it for years and feel great / look great using it.

A blurb from the website:

NO WEIGHTS NO AEROBICS

You see, I understand the female body as a machine - both physically and biochemically. ........................

The movement sequences are very rehabilitative especially for the lower back and knees. They look so simple - but they provide a workout like no other. You will feel how comprehensive they are - I never work just one muscle group. The T-Tapp Total Workout is designed to fatigue muscle groups layer by layer. Inch loss comes quickly. Done without weights, jumping or body jarring aerobics, anyone can workout for less than an hour and do it in the privacy of their home or hotel room. It took me seven years to develop, perfect and copyright the T-Tapp Total Workout. It is difficult to describe but it incorporates dance theory, tai chi and theories of Western strength training. You will feel the difference within one workout. Best of all, it works for all body types.

Some times I make a smoothie, with low fat yogurht. Mixed

Frozen berries, add a table spoon of L.s.a. Its ground linseed, sesame seeds & almonds. With low fat milk.

• 3 weeks later...

I just joined calorieking.com. It's $12 US dollars a month, or $50 US dollars for the year. It's not a diet, it's a tool to teach you how to eat and how to keep track of your calorie intake. Reviews were very good on this site, and so far I love it. I put in the food I eat during the day, and it keeps tracks of my calories, and when I get to my target calorie in take for the day, I am done eating. Lots of recipes, exercise and lots of people who are trying to lose weight. Again, it's not a diet, it teaches you the proper way to eat, and portion control. It will not help you lose lots of weight fast, it's slow, 1-2 pounds a week, which is considered safe amount.

Here is the link:

http://www.calorieking.com/

Last year I lost over 50 pounds in about a month and a half but my wife left me so O don't recomend that way.However I have been able to keep it all off except 4 pounds.Something to try.When you food shop,shop just the outside isles.Thats where all the fresh foods are.at least here.If its in a box or a can stay away from it.most times your motivation will come when you have dropped a few pounds.set real goals.if you want to lose 30 lbs set a date to lose 5-10 lbs.then another.if you lose the 5 lbs you'll be motivated cause you hit your goal and keep smiling,we are all already beautiful

I joined a site called LoseIt. It's an app for your phone that allows you to log all your activities, and foods you eat. I find by tracking what I eat, staying under a certain caloric value and getting more exercise I have lost 9.2lbs thus far.

I also took the time to see a dietician, when I was bit by our dog they noted that my blood pressure was unusually high. They chalked it up to being bit by the dog at first, but when I came back to have my arm put in a half cast etc., the nurse asked me if I would like to make an appointment with the dietician after we spoke about my pressure being 140/90. I knew it was on the high end of normal, and by controlling my weight, I can stave off having to take medication for it.

One of the issues that the dietician identified is that I wasn't eating enough. Typically speaking I wouldn't eat until about 2-3 p.m., and then I'd choose something that might or might not be nutritionally superior. I knew this, but still kept following the same pattern. Why eat if you don't feel hungry?

There's a good reason to eat, if you don't your body will store everything you take in as fat. Plain and simple. Fat is a currency that is quickly converted to energy, and if you don't feed your body, it goes into a protective mode and stores fat because it thinks you are starving. Once you start eating, the body says 'Hey, woohoo food.....I don't need to store this any more and off the pounds go'.

Anyhow I started eating a piece of fruit every morning, I have a coffee (double double) and more often than not some sort of yogurt concoction which is high in protein (greek yogurt). I then eat a snack around 10:30 (I'm hungry earlier now that I eat), and a lunch (if I am not working through it), still though I make time for a snack around 2:30 - 3:00. I find if I do this, I'm often not that hungry at the end of the day, and I log a loss pretty much every day. Except today.....

The dietician stressed the importance of choosing 3 items from each different group in the canadian food guide. I still don't eat as much as I should......us women are always told don't eat, don't eat, but the truth of the matter - people who constantly eat smaller meals do not have higher spikes in their blood glucose levels and are less prone to pig out sessions.

I love one of the names of the girls on LoseIt - FIT CHICKS EAT!!! It's so true.

Hi all, first time posting on this site.

I hope I can share my experience with my this.

Here is what Ive done to loose weight. This method is by far the best method for me, the low carbs method is IMO a dangerous method for the simple fact that the results are quick but if you stop doing the low carb diet, chances are you will regain all the weight you worked so hard to loose. And besides Jehovah didnt create us to eat low carbs all the time, its about proportioning your intake.

Instead of thinking about dieting, think about your readjusting your eating habits, because afterall thats what its all about.

Loosing weight is about 2 things, counting calories and counting sugar intake.

Ideally, if your looking to "cut" or loose "Pounds" your going to need a plan that involves:

1: Calorie Intake

2: Sugar Intake

3: how many small meals a day your eating

4: Protein Intake

5: how many hours of sleep your getting

6: what type of exercise do you do daily (walking/cardio/circuit training/weights)

All these work hand in hand.

So here's what I've done and still doing.

1: I eat between 1500 - 2000 calories a day (If im cutting, this is what I'll stick with)

2: I eat no more than 30 grams of sugar a day

3: I eat 5 or 6 small meals a day

4: I eat about 150 - 170 grams of protein a day, I lift weights

5: I sleep 8 hours a day 6 days a week, except sunday I sleep for 2 - 4 hours (I work nightshift), Ideally you should be getting 8 hours each day

6: I exercise 5 days a week, 2 days rest.

Foods that I avoid for loosing weight.

1: Processed Foods

2: GMO foods (USA, Europe), GE Foods (Canada)

3: Fruit juices

4: White Bread

5: White Rice

6: anything that has white flour

7: Most Dairy

Hope this helps, ask me if you got any questions.

Carl, :welcome: to jwtalk!

I think this is really interesting about sugar. How do you find out how much sugar you eat? I mean, there so much hidden in all kind of food. Even fruits have sugar, like grapes they are so sweet.

The 8 hours sleep, yes, that's true, I only sleep 7 hours, my bedtime is too late. :?