JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

looking for a tablet or reader any recommendations:help:

The best one is one that fits your finances and does what you want.

Personally I find the Nexus 7 to be great. Does all that I want and at a price that to me is very reasonable.

A little cheaper for the wife who reads a lot the Kindle Fire HD is also worthwhile.

Both are suitable for the needs you specify.

Be sure to try out before buying.

I just picked up the galaxy tab 2 10" for my mom. It is he very first computer of any type. I picked it up for only 270 us $ at Costco. I installed iSilo - with the full watchtower library, JWReader and i put all the society's videos on it. Then links to the jw.org site and wol.jw.org

That's it. She loves. She lives with my brother and his family and he has Wi-Fi at the house.

She hadn't seen the video about Canadian JWs legal battles before - that was a bonus.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

My favorite was also the Galaxy Tab, and for the price, it's still on the top of my list. But, now that the Galaxy note 10.1 has been out for a while, I am leaning in that direction. Mostly for the quad core processor and the ability to "split screen" and have two apps open at the same time, which would be a great benefit when studying. I understand with Samsung's soon to be released "premium suite" you will be able to have even more apps "open" at once and tap between them. It's a little pricey right now though.

if you are after a tablet or an ereader those choices are ok -just don't drop them. Makes a mess of the screen.

If you don't mind a little more weight and a lot better storage- hunt around for a "Netbook" with 320 Gb storage and a 6 cell battery and windows 7.

They are in $200-300 range, are a real computer-10" screen ( no cd/dvd drive ) with usb and wireless internet ( no phone 3 or 4 G -optional with an anywhere stick ) and battery run time is similar -about 10 -13 hours per charge.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

if you are after a tablet or an ereader those choices are ok -just don't drop them. Makes a mess of the screen.

If you don't mind a little more weight and a lot better storage- hunt around for a "Netbook" with 320 Gb storage and a 6 cell battery and windows 7.

They are in $200-300 range, are a real computer-10" screen ( no cd/dvd drive ) with usb and wireless internet ( no phone 3 or 4 G -optional with an anywhere stick ) and battery run time is similar -about 10 -13 hours per charge.

Yes and be careful not to drop those either. It can quickly make a mess of those screens as well.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I have a Toshiba "net book" and have been disappointed with it from day one. It's not near as convenient as a tablet, even though it's smaller, it's like having a laptop at the meeting, it opens like a clam shell and the screen is smaller then the 10.1" tablet. You have to balance the netbook on your lap and tilt the screen just right to view it easily. If you need to do that, you may as well just bring your laptop. The tablet being "open" all the time makes it easier to use in my opinion.

Yeah, I am looking at the new note for me ;) I like the pen option.

Yes! At first I thought it was just a good stylus, but then I read it's an actual Bluetooth pen so there is no "skipping" etc, like there is with a regular stylus.

I Love my Note.. It has the pen..I have found you dictate what you want to say & it becomes your messsge.. A friend ask me because My hubby did some work for him sent a file I found I can fill it in & forgive my terminology you can also include your signature.. I don't know if you guys have Work cover. But in Aussie if you work for yourself & you are a Tradie..meaning carpenter or some sort of construction or Even a plain gardner/cleaner..Workcover is tough. You need loads of legal docs.. So on the note its like the tablet go computer all in one..

I had a T-HUB like a tablet. I sent it back once for repairs. Telstra my phone bigpond provider said that it was fixed..Same thing happened again..So In prefrence

The note does it all.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

It's more virtual than an actual program. It exists in memory.

If you long-press where you want the clipboard item to go, then tap "paste" and it will go there.

There are many apps in the PlayStore for managing the 'clipboard's' contents. Like this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.rojekti.clipper&hl=en

I have the Asus 201 Transformer Tablet and it is great for the meetings, then I purchased the keyboard docking station to go with it. I am just learning how to use it, ie, cutting and pasting etc. so I can use it instead of my laptop. If I can get good enough with it, I think I might try to sell the laptop and just use the Tablet. Still learning though.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Hi Gabe~I live in Daytona,Fl. and also have a Note easy phone and tablet. I like the fact that when I play Kingdom songs, the words appear on the screen! That is if you download them from Jew.org and specify the word option in the phone settings. :ecstatic: Also, you can capture an answer from an article with the pen butten pushed in by hitting the screen and then underline points pr make a note and then push return and it is saved in your picture folder. Open during meeting and make comment!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Bayly. The other feature I really love is the built in recorder. For years I looked ariund for something to record the meetings. I use to write Notes &it became

Harde when I had my babies. I can sit in my seat &record a talk. Its great cause when the kids say Mum I need the loo. I can have it going &catch up later.>:D<

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Gabe~yes, I just discovered about the recorder yesterday. Do you know how long you can record at one time? Also since some older ones want a small phone tablet, our phone family plan lets you add another phone for $10 plus $20 min. for data + fees.:bouncing:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

I had a first generation 7" kindle fire for about a year, but converting files from EPUB to MOBI with calibre was an extra step I didn't like. The built-in ebook reader only highlighted in yellow. The songs in the songbook didn't render that fast which was a big problem when switching between two pages of a song. I switched to a 3rd generation iPad when I could get one on sale and never turned back. Downloading files from jw.org is a breeze, multiple highlighting colors in iBooks and a program called Goodreader renders both pages of a song at the same time. Plus with a 10" screen I don't have to pinch-to-zoom with full size PDFs.

I looked long and hard at the Note 10.1 as others have mentioned, but the iPad was cheaper at the time and the five-finger swipe to switch between apps is easy and works with every app unlike the Note's split-screen.

I was able to record a days program for one day assembly. I forgot to take my charger. I missed out by 20 mins the end for the last talk.

I ended up getting my 2 sons the Asus Transformer tf700, we just got them less then a week ago, they have not used at the meeting since we did not have the cases yet for them. They so far love them. I ended up getting me the Samsung Note 10.1 (32gb) the model # is Gt-8013 I just got it yesterday and set some things up on it. I am looking forward to working with it. So far I like it very well.

We will also be using them in our business as well.