JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Convention Lunches

Can't wait till we don't have to worry about calories and trans fats and corn syrup. Can you imagine explaining those things to people born in the new system?!!! So many words and expressions will be out of our volcabulary, I can see where we will only need a simple language, much simplier than English.

And fruit will finally taste like fruit again, not something that's been force fed a lot of water!

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

In the past... it was sub sandwiches, bag of chips, oreos, and whatever else. Since we're trying to really get slim this year... it'll just be a Chicken Cobb Salad for me and a Southwestern Salad for my wife. Both with a yogurt dressing at 35 calories for 2 tablespoons. A 60 calorie sugar-free chocolate pudding (because we're still stuck on the puddings from conventions and assemblies from long ago) and a Diet Coke. It all ends up being about 450-500 calories.

P.S. 12lbs down since April 18th! Gotta keep losing! Convention or not!

Lose the diet coke, seriously.   Water, lemon with water, lime with water....water with ice......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/diet-soda-health_b_2698494.html

The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, discovered some frightening facts that should make us all swear off diet drinks and products.

1. Diet sodas raised the risk of diabetes more than sugar-sweetened sodas!
  2. Women who drank one 12-ounce diet soda had a 33 percent increased risk of Type 2 diabetes, and women who drank one 20-ounce soda had a 66 percent increased risk.
  3. Women who drank diet sodas drank twice as much as those who drank sugar-sweetened sodas because artificial sweeteners are more addictive and are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar.
  4. The average diet soda drinker consumes three diet drinks a day.

You might say that people who are overweight and just about to get diabetes drink more diet soda, but they scientifically controlled for body weight. And they found the artificial sweeteners increased diabetes independent of body weight!

Here's another reason to drink water ;) 

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040105/drinking-water-may-speed-weight-loss

The researchers estimate that over the course of a year, a person who increases his water consumption by 1.5 liters a day would burn an extra 17,400 calories, for a weight loss of approximately five pounds. They note that up to 40% of the increase in calorie burning is caused by the body's attempt to heat the ingested water. The findings are reported in the December issue of The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.

And because you didn't ask.......but I'm gonna tell you anyhow :P

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ss/slideshow-vitamin-d-overview

Studies have shown that people who are obese often have low blood levels of vitamin D. Body fat traps vitamin D, making it less available to the body. It's not clear whether obesity itself causes a low vitamin D level or if it's the other way around. But one small study of dieters suggests that adding vitamin D to a calorie-restricted diet may help overweight people with low vitamin D levels lose weight more easily.

Love ya bro!

Just a side point ...." actually I have heard " ice water " is not that good Chinese theory is it SHOCKS the liver ......so room temperature ( water) is much better for you but many can't of course stomach water that's not cold. I've learned to drink mine room temp !!!

It some how is suggested it damages your body's ability to digest properly. Then it can't retrieve the proper nutritional elements.

I guess this should have been in our health tip thread :)

Lose the diet coke, seriously.   Water, lemon with water, lime with water....water with ice......

I drink about 64-84oz of water a day just to keep the "full feeling" going. The Diet Coke is the offset.

Diet Coke is my guilty pleasure. It's not going anywhere. The Society would have to have a Watchtower on it being just as bad as smoking and a grounds for reproof or disfellowshipping.  :D  :D

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

I drink about 64-84oz of water a day just to keep the "full feeling" going. The Diet Coke is the offset.

Diet Coke is my guilty pleasure. It's not going anywhere. The Society would have to have a Watchtower on it being just as bad as smoking and a grounds for reproof or disfellowshipping.  :D  :D

suit yourself ;)  Here's the reason why I gave it up.  (I used to love the caffeine free, sugar free coke)

http://globalnews.ca/news/1089619/why-diet-soda-may-be-making-you-eat-more/

http://globalnews.ca/news/581572/sweeteners-create-cocaine-like-addictions-canadian-study/

I had lost 80lbs in 8 months, by making small changes.  I need to be back at it again though, so thanks for posting your weight loss stuff, it's motivated me to be at it again.  

LOL... I don't eat more than I normally do.

Breakfast
Toast with Peanut Butter, Apples or Blueberries, and a glass of whole milk.
Lunches
Salads of various sorts and sandwiches on Friday
Dinner
Chicken and Veggies or Steak and Veggies
Snack
Wheat Thins with Peanut Butter and lotsa water throughout the day.
Junk
Ice cream or a cookie once a week is all I eat junk wise.

I'm losing two pounds a week. It's works out to be 1500 calories. I run 2 miles a day, walk 2 miles with my wife, and then run 4 miles on Saturday. Then I walk 3 miles Sunday. Plus my wife and I have Fitbits to count our steps... So if she's not doing 10000 steps for her and 12000 for me we have to do more. I have about 50lbs to go but it's working. :)

Edited by THENK

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

suit yourself ;)  Here's the reason why I gave it up.  (I used to love the caffeine free, sugar free coke)

http://globalnews.ca/news/1089619/why-diet-soda-may-be-making-you-eat-more/

http://globalnews.ca/news/581572/sweeteners-create-cocaine-like-addictions-canadian-study/

I had lost 80lbs in 8 months, by making small changes.  I need to be back at it again though, so thanks for posting your weight loss stuff, it's motivated me to be at it again.  

2 things about cola's of any sort. My daughter's mom-in-law was always sickly, eventually her kidneys failed. She was a soda drinker for years. The doctor had told her to stop but she couldn't, she didn't. Cola will kill kidneys. She died of it. (I know, how morbid, but the doctor didn't mince words with her nor her 3 children who all do as she did)

A sister who rides to meetings with me gave up soda a few months ago. Weight has been falling off her like crazy. She must have drank a lot of the stuff. She says she drinks water now and has no trouble maintaining weight control, actually she needs to eat a bit more now to keep weight ON! And a brother who was very over weight gave up drinking soda's. He had a HUGE love affair with it. In no time at all his weight loss was noticeable.

I quit drinking it a few months ago and I have lost weight, I'm not a big soda drinker, I only had 1 or 2 in the evening, but quitting made a difference others can see. They see it in my face, my chin. I didn't realize it was bloating me up.   

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Our int'l conv begins this weekend woo hoo! My plan was to keep it light & cool (its been sooo humid this week). I thought a turkey sandwich with tomato/ avacado/ lettuce/ salad dressing, some cucumber slices, a fruit cup and cut watermelon chunks. But after reading all the fantastic ideas ... my meal plan has changed 52 times!!! LOL!!

As has mine Lisa! I have the bento box and have been practicing when I go to work with different lunches I thought I wanted. I love green olives and roast beef and cream cheese and thought they'd be great as a rollup, well.....not so much! Then I went to the thought I shared about the Special Pioneer and her 'trail mix' with m&m's and a thermos of cold coffee. Hmmm, easy but, well not really my style. And I like your ideas of all the fresh fruit, sooo I'm back to maybe boiled egg, cut roast beef or make a ham and have cubed ham and cheese and fruit and cold coffee............the list goes on.....still practicing!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

What exactly is this " bento box" I see mentioned, in connection with convention lunchs? My lunch consists of a meat & cheese, small sandwich, chips of some sort, a few cookies not always consumed, and a small thermos of hot coffee. I mean, after all, this is the small meal, not sustenance for the long term, isn't it?    B)

Here's one I wanted: 4192%2By0cB2L._AA160_.jpg

But here's what we got41JmTVi3TsL._AA160_.jpg

I do like the one I bought, the ice is in the middle and it keeps cold from 7 till 12 so for convention it's going to work just fine.

Here's the link in case you want to see the variety available- http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ABento+box&page=2&keywords=Bento+box&ie=UTF8&qid=1401752702

Edited by bagwell1987

But here's what we got41JmTVi3TsL._AA160_.jpg

I do like the one I bought, the ice is in the middle and it keeps cold from 7 till 12 so for convention it's going to work just fine.

I have one of those, too!  They are small and convenient.  :)

I think I will probably stick with my organic corn and whole wheat (high fiber) tortillas and hummus from Trader Joe's, some fruit, water, and caffeine of some sort.  I may throw in some peppermints for the afternoon.  I hear peppermint helps you perk up!

Ah, if only there was an Starbuck's in Reliant Stadium...   :coffee:

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

I've been playing with celery and cream cheese, pears, green olives (all by themselves) pickled beets and maybe some sort of sweet in the afternoon. This is what I had for lunch today after service and the celery always makes me so full for so long. So I have a full day of work tomorrow and this is what I'll bring, just to see if it works for me. 

Now, what to pack for dinner for the RC?? I don't eat out so I pack. Soup, ya, maybe soup in the micro.......

Ok, here's what I have packed for my day tomorrow- 4 am to 11. I have a Payday bar in here, it's 240 calories, 40 more than a nutrition bar and loads more protein. And my home canned pickled beets and pickled veg. It all fits.

post-1083-0-08462800-1401765184_thumb.jp

I make a salad and put a protein on it with my own dressing !

Bit of fruit

Water

Nuts in event I need a protein fix !

Just keep it very simple.

just wanted to say thank you friends for All of Your great ideas, they have been very helpful.

I usually just take a protein bar, some cookies or crackers...and a couple bottles of water.  This can be thrown in my purse or bag with my bible and song book.

Very simple, needing no cooling.

I usually have a decent breakfast at the hotel...and a nice meal after the program.  So not a problem to go lite for lunch.

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

Ok, I've changed my plan again. I had a Southwest Beef Salad from Safeway the other day and boy could I make that salad for convention! Easy and fast and economical. Been talking to the daughter about it and I think we're getting the meals put together.

Edited by bagwell1987

Please accept my apologies, what you choose to drink is really none of my business.  (See the convention spoiler)  Just ignore me, I'm getting a personality overhaul and frankly I'm not doing so great a job of sawing off the horns!

Please accept my apologies, what you choose to drink is really none of my business.  (See the convention spoiler)  Just ignore me, I'm getting a personality overhaul and frankly I'm not doing so great a job of sawing off the horns!

Welcome to our exclusive club, Sharon! Everyone of us imperfect Witnesses can empathize, moralize, and dramatize their own personality flaws. But knowing that Jehovah has your best interests at heart, is drawing you closer, day by day, extending to you personally, the gift of prayer, should help you square your shoulders, stand up straight, and march to Paradise with us all! Right? :encourage:

I normally take a salad, with a hard boiled egg, some ham and cheese. Only some olive oil (which I love) and some vinegar. No dressing. I try to eat quickly so I use the break for walking around the stadion. The break is pretty  short this time it seems, so no time to waste. :-) I try to visit our older sisters, they are always happy if someone young visits them (and they always have some chocolate for the kiddies like me... *lol*). I try to be back at my seet when the music starts, and drink some coffee.

For the afternoon fatigue I have some nuts (cashews, walnuts, almonds) and a cutted apple with me.

And I drink lots of water (just normal tap water) - Austria is really blessed with its wonderful pure water, so we take advantage of that fact and drink that.

• 4 weeks later...