JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Convention Lunches

What does everybody pack for lunch on those three days?

Sandwiches are the easy and obvious choice, but some in my family ( especially me,lol) can't do wheat/yeast. Especially not in bread form.

So I'm looking for ideas and inspiration.

In the past I have made

pasta salads. One everybody loved was pasta mixed with tuna salad. That way you have your protein too. Or a regular pasta salad or potato salad and hard boiled eggs

Sliced cold, grilled chicken breast on salad.

Frikadellen, which is like meat loaf in burger patty shape.

hihi, German word. In Austria we say "Fleischlaibchen", or "Fleischlaberl" where I live (near Vienna)

we like to take these too, btw. :-)

I'm a German gal, tell me how to make the......well the above! Please.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

My daughter is now in the spanish congregation and she is used to having her little lunch tote with yogurt, fruit, veggie sticks. Well the spanish sisters make a bunch of stuff and eat it out of styrofoam cups and tortillas. when they saw what my daughter was pulling out, they said "no, no, you can't eat that". They gave her tons of food, she said she had a hard time keeping awake through the afternoon she was so stuffed. They make sure they bring for themselves and as many other people they can feed.

The Spanish bring the big coolers and they stack them all up outside the convention hall lining up the walls. My daughter said "you can't bring those big coolers" and they just tell her that that does not apply to the Spanish. haha got to love them!! 

She said too that it is impolite if they ask you to eat and you say no, especially if you go on a study and the spanish woman is the only one at home, it is impolite to let someone eat by themselves. It doesn't matter if you have already eaten, you eat again out of politeness. My daughter is 4'11" and has to keep a watch on her weight, we come from Calif. where most everyone is on a diet of some kind and where we were from it was impolite to ask someone to eat because it was like you were sabotaging their diet. The Spanish women don't concern themselves with diets and keeping in shape is not a priority but their main concern is keeping their husbands fed and happy. 

Sometimes I like to make the Asian rolls.. with the rice paper.

you soak the rice paper sheets in hot water & add a filling of your choicde.

like chicken or tuna & a salad of some sort.

If you like sushi. I have made it the night before. Kids are different matter. They get the sandwiches.

Enjoy your assembly. xo

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I like things simple:  Cut one piece of bread into 4 even squares; mix a hard boiled egg with TasTee Salad Dressing (instead of mayo); spread a TBLS of Egg Salad on the quarter pieces of bread, and top it off with pape- thin slices of cucumbers. Put the four quarter sections into a tupper ware container and head to the convention. If you like more food....simply put another layer of the egg and cukes right on of the last one.  Great finger food / meal and rather refreshing when it's hot outside.  For those with wheat / yeast issues....just eliminate the bread.

The following is a high protein meal and really easy (it can also be made without bread): in a bowl chop up one hard boiled egg, add 3 oz of canned tuna (well drained), and salad dressing (not mayo) to taste. Mix gently and enjoy as is, or spoon it into a pocket pita for later. 

I've also substituted Romain Lettuce Leaves for the bread or pocket pitas. A good tip is to let the lettuce leaves get to room temperature to prevent them from ripping.  Then just scoop some of the egg mixture on to a salad leaf and roll it up like a sandwich wrap. It's easily held together with a couple of toothpicks. Put it back into the fridge until it's time to leave.

One day is salad. One day is a wrap of some sort like w chicken or something and day 3 is usualy sushi roll.

Then I always have walk around food like fruit or goldfishes because i want to find people to chit chat instead of sitting around eating very much.

Deenna, i know all about spanish eating. Apparently you can never get enough lol. Everywhere i have worked insurance in a group setting, i was generally in the lunchroom and 9/10 complete strangers all spanish want to make sure im well fed. Since im a glutton for mexican food, i gladly accept and a few times i didnt have my own food was very appreciated. When you are used to eating one way and are around spanish culture very often, your eating habits tend to change lol.

I made something for a get together on the weekend and thought it might be a good idea for the convention/Assembly too.

I made a bean salad (black eyed peas actually) with garlic,onions, bell peppers,parsley. In the past I've made it with black beans, tomatoes,cilantro and corn. To make it easier you could use bottled salad dressing. But I prefer oil,vinegar,salt, pepper, pinch of sugar.

HorseJump Deena, everything you said about the Spanish assemblies is so true! It's funny that you point those things out since I've gotten used to most of it. We usually make some kind of "salad" like chicken or tuna salad and bring chips or tostadas to eat it with. Many people bring small burritos made from egg and chorizo or beans and cheese.

When I was in the Spanish in the USA the Bible studies always gave us big glasses of soda and it was practically impossible to refuse. Here in Mexico they don't really do that, but if you are invited (mostly by brothers) to eat it's hard to say no. Even if it's late at night and you have to go home, they get sad if you don't stay and "drink a coffee". :coffee:

My daughter is now in the spanish congregation and she is used to having her little lunch tote with yogurt, fruit, veggie sticks. Well the spanish sisters make a bunch of stuff and eat it out of styrofoam cups and tortillas. when they saw what my daughter was pulling out, they said "no, no, you can't eat that". They gave her tons of food, she said she had a hard time keeping awake through the afternoon she was so stuffed. They make sure they bring for themselves and as many other people they can feed.

The Spanish bring the big coolers and they stack them all up outside the convention hall lining up the walls. My daughter said "you can't bring those big coolers" and they just tell her that that does not apply to the Spanish. haha got to love them!! 

She said too that it is impolite if they ask you to eat and you say no, especially if you go on a study and the spanish woman is the only one at home, it is impolite to let someone eat by themselves. It doesn't matter if you have already eaten, you eat again out of politeness. My daughter is 4'11" and has to keep a watch on her weight, we come from Calif. where most everyone is on a diet of some kind and where we were from it was impolite to ask someone to eat because it was like you were sabotaging their diet. The Spanish women don't concern themselves with diets and keeping in shape is not a priority but their main concern is keeping their husbands fed and happy. 

I think I'm moving to the Spanish congregation!  LOL!

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

I have discovered Trader Joe's Organic Wheat and Corn Tortillas, which taste great with any of their hummus mixtures.  High in fiber, so they are very filling.  Also, I usually take an apple or banana, and maybe some yogurt, along with a flask of coffee or tea.  ;)

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

We always have a nice breakfast before the big day and still arrive about 45 mins early to get our seating.  For Lunch we have a ziplock bag with cheese and crackers and a piece of fruit or grapes.  Usually the can of squirt cheese and wheat thins.  That way we do not get sleepy after lunch.  Then we go to dinner with the friends or room service for dinner.  

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

We did sandwiches this year ... we could eat the other meals at home since we are convention is local for us.

They do make several types of wraps that are gluten free and you can use lettuce for a wrap.

We have also done the cheese & crackers (we like Triscuits) with a combination of swiss and sharp cheeses.

Usually take canned soda or bottled water since they fit in the small cooler we use.

Jasmine - what part of Florida are you in and where do you attend the DC?

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

There was speculation that Daytona would be used for DC as well as CA and SAD but, since it only seats about 2000, I am not sure it will ever happen.

I keep hoping that someone on here will be in my neck of the woods, and there are some around Daytona, but that is still a bit in the wrong direction for were I travel.

I did not get a response to anyone being in Gainesville last weekend so I guess there was not. I was hopeful about Jacksonville in July but no one has said they will be there either.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 3 weeks later...

South Florida. We go to the Convention Center in West Palm Beach. JW owned, renovated about 12 years ago from an arena. (Basket ball I think?)

We have about a 45 minute drive.

Side note. When on vacation we were able to tour the convention center. It was used for everything... Circus, monster trucks, concerts etc. It is so beautiful and so many bathrooms for sisters. I grew up going to Yankee stadium and Vet stadium. It's the "little" things you appreciate.