JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Convention Lunches

I take a hummus/cucumber

wrap, my guys take Subway sandwiches and we have fruit and yogurt.And a couple of no-bake oatmeal cookies.And a thermos of coffee.:-) It's usually very cold.

Do you have a recipe for the cookies you could share? If not it's ok, I'll just google it. But it's nice to get a recipe from someone who knows it's good/working. :)

• 1 month later...

I make low-carb chicken salad with celery sticks and low-carb crackers or wrap.  We have this for 2 days and tuna salad with the same sides on one day.  If we don't have this, we have turkey or ham wraps for lunch.  The kids take a bag of chips and one sweet treat of their choice, usually a pudding cup, fruit cup or gogurt,

For breakfast, I have coffee and maybe a protein bar or Atkins bar, the kids have mini-muffins or mini-brownie bites or pop-tarts and a chocolate milk!

We made sure of a good breakfast to last until lunchtime. Cereals and toast to follow. Then for lunch my wife had bought pre-packed salads and chilli chicken, and we made a tuna mayo to go with salad for Sunday. Then a bag of crisps (potato chips in the colonies) and fruit. A piece of fruit cake as a treat.

We have both been to pioneer school and recognise the need for decent food when concentrating on spiritual things! That is our excuse, anyway.

After the Friday session we went to our favourite restaurant, which is close to the stadium, but the other days we had easily prepared dinners in readiness, to save time each evening.

• 1 month later...
Guest Vegsushi

I'm not sure why but anytime I go to a convention or assembly I am always starving

On Saturday I will be taking:

Moroccan style cous cous

Cucumber

Sweet corn

Onion

Parsley

Rocket

Orange or red pepper

Avocado

Sesame seeds

Sesame oil in a little tub to flavour

I'm veggie so no meat :) I'm hungry just writing this down

• 2 weeks later...

South Florida. We go to the Convention Center in West Palm Beach. JW owned, renovated about 12 years ago from an arena. (Basket ball I think?)

We have about a 45 minute drive.

Side Note, I actually worked on that assembly hall when we first bought it. It a gorgeous facility but the walk in the summer...oh my.

We just got moved to Daytona from Plant City for our CA and SADs, can't wait to see that hall.

I worked on both Plant City and Daytona assembly halls.

What part of Florida are you in that you went to Plant City and now will go to Daytona?

BTW - they are both "basically" the same floor plan. Plan City has had some renovation changes and Daytona was "adjusted" since it was in the precess of being built when we went to the "bring your lunch" arrangement.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I worked on both Plant City and Daytona assembly halls.

What part of Florida are you in that you went to Plant City and now will go to Daytona?

BTW - they are both "basically" the same floor plan. Plan City has had some renovation changes and Daytona was "adjusted" since it was in the precess of being built when we went to the "bring your lunch" arrangement.

I'm in the south orlando area. our circuits were just readjusted so now we are heading over to the coast. I will miss the landscaping at PC. it always reminded me of how I want paradise to look

I will agree that PCAH has very nice and somewhat unique natural landscaping - but DBAH also has some nice landscaping .... just doesn't have those large, magnificent oak trees.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 7 months later...

I llke Cheese and Crackers  myself. Perhaps with some of the really good chicken salad. I generally prefer to

bring a bottle of water to drink. Add to that some fruit ( a peach, apple, orange or a banana or even grapes. )

That for me is a great lunch and does not leave you feeling so drowsy for the afternoon session.

GStorrs46

What a great thread. I am hungry after reading through everyones choices for last year.

I like to roll up thin sliced meat after I put some cream cheese and cucumber inside. Protein seems to keep me awake better than yummmy carbs.

I also take assorted mixed nuts and most important....a thermos of coffee! 

I find the less I eat for lunch, the better off I do at paying attention during the afternoon session, so I usually have a slim-fast bar and a low-fat yogurt and water. Anything with bread tends to make me sleepy.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Bonwyn had a good idea about the nuts and no carbs. Just a handful of nuts can keep you awake and focused (it's recommened to eat an ounce or two during break at work for this reason), I think I will work that into my lunch routine this year.

My daughter is now in the spanish congregation and she is used to having her little lunch tote with yogurt, fruit, veggie sticks. Well the spanish sisters make a bunch of stuff and eat it out of styrofoam cups and tortillas. when they saw what my daughter was pulling out, they said "no, no, you can't eat that". They gave her tons of food, she said she had a hard time keeping awake through the afternoon she was so stuffed. They make sure they bring for themselves and as many other people they can feed.

Hmmm...I may have to join the Spanish congregation! 

Can someone post a mariachi smiley?  :)

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

Bonwyn had a good idea about the nuts and no carbs. Just a handful of nuts can keep you awake and focused (it's recommened to eat an ounce or two during break at work for this reason), I think I will work that into my lunch routine this year.

Nothing keeps me awake.  Whether I'm at a convention or at a job, the hours between 1-3 are like the Twilight Zone for me!!  I don't like a it a bit!  :sleeping:

Nothing keeps me awake. Whether I'm at a convention or at a job, the hours between 1-3 are like the Twilight Zone for me!! I don't like a it a bit!

Jules that sounds like a blood sugar issue ..... Try eating an apple I have a Naturopath Dr. He suggests eating an Apple when you feel like that . Might be worth a try. If I stay away from carbs I'm usually pretty good . So I always take a protein /veggies for lunch . ( you can get some nice veggie dips or make one) I roast a chicken Thursday. ( sometimes a small Turkey) get all my veggies cleaned and prepared or a salad made with beans is great. Hard boiled eggs works great .....just a bit smelly :( lol

Nuts are great ( not peanuts) . They are my guilty pleasure , so just a handful ! Water to drink .

Can't wait only four weeks now to go !!!

Nothing keeps me awake. Whether I'm at a convention or at a job, the hours between 1-3 are like the Twilight Zone for me!! I don't like a it a bit! :sleeping:

Try a liquid lunch (like a fruit/veggie smoothie and go a little hungry in the afternoon. Hunger pains always keep me awake! Sit with a good friend who will pinch you every couple oof minutes or do something that really annoys you (like clicking a pen constantly) - annoying stuff always keeps me awake! Or sit behind a familly with 5 kids under 5 years old and only one parent to watch them all.

Edited by shali

I generally just have a couple of ham & mustard or ham & please pudding sandwiches,a bag of crisps & a yoghurt,maybe an apple too,washed down with a bottle of water,quite a few of the bro"s use the convention food outlets, which are pretty expensive too

Jules that sounds like a blood sugar issue ..... Try eating an apple I have a Naturopath Dr. He suggests eating an Apple when you feel like that . Might be worth a try. If I stay away from carbs I'm usually pretty good . So I always take a protein /veggies for lunch . ( you can get some nice veggie dips or make one) I roast a chicken Thursday. ( sometimes a small Turkey) get all my veggies cleaned and prepared or a salad made with beans is great. Hard boiled eggs works great .....just a bit smelly :( lol

Nuts are great ( not peanuts) . They are my guilty pleasure , so just a handful ! Water to drink .

Do you know that when I eat apples, my stomach starts growling 15 minutes later, and I feel as though I haven't eaten anything!

I've tried everything I can think of, and I still want to take a nap.  The only thing that really helps is getting up and going for a brisk walk, and you can't really do that, because you want to hear as much of the convention as possible.

Edited by Julsey

Try a liquid lunch (like a fruit/veggie smoothie and go a little hungry in the afternoon. Hunger pains always keep me awake! Sit with a good friend who will pinch you every couple oof minutes or do something that really annoys you (like clicking a pen constantly) - annoying stuff always keeps me awake! Or sit behind a familly with 5 kids under 5 years old and only one parent to watch them all.

See, hunger does just the opposite for me:  I will sit there and just focus on how hungry I am, and not be able to focus on the programme.  Plus, I will eventually start feeling sickish.  Bleh...

See, hunger does just the opposite for me:  I will sit there and just focus on how hungry I am, and not be able to focus on the programme.  Plus, I will eventually start feeling sickish.  Bleh...

Yeah, me too - I get real nausiated and usually start dry heaving.  But I also have a bit of a sugar problem. 

Yeah, me too - I get real nausiated and usually start dry heaving.  But I also have a bit of a sugar problem. 

I asked my doctor about that once, because I told him it has always bothered me to eat anything sickly sweet on an empty stomach.   I asked if I should have a test for hypoglycemia (even though I would dread doing so), and he said, 'Why go through it when it will probably have the same result?'  Lol..So, I do assume that I have some kind of blood sugar problem.  I find that just grazing throughout the day is what works best for me.  :)

I'm one of those people who can't eat anything super sweet or even drink orange juice in the morning.  I get real sick.  I normally don't eat breakfast because I work at night and don't get up till very late in the morning - so convention time is especially difficult for me.  I need to eat because I'm getting up at the crack of dawn (instead of going to bed) but it's super difficult for me, plus I can't power down at night to get any sleep for that 3 days.  I keep telling Jehovah that he is the only one I would ever do this for!

I just bought a Bento box for this year. Since I'm trying to go real light this year it's great. I'm taking the suggestion of meat, sliced beef in my case, with cream cheese and sliced green olive with pimento and green onion. Then sliced apple with yogurt. I agree with Wendy about the apple helping to keep awake so I'll try to reserve 1/2 apple for afternoon pick-me-up. And a thermos of ice black coffee. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34