JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Convention Lunches

:ecstatic:

Our District Convention has always been the highlight of my life!  It is a wonderful feeling to end each day spiritually energized

and happy you stayed awake and missed nothing. Over the years I have learned that not only how much you eat can

make you doze off, certain foods would cause me to feel too relaxed and start to nod. Here's what I usually pack:

Lg. glad bag w/ chunk strawberries, pineapples, raspberries, peaches, blueberries and grapes...toothpick for sticking

Lg. romaine lettuce leaves wraps w/ chicken or turkey red/yellow bell pepper, avocado, feta..........or

Tuna/Crab salad, add baby sweet peas, spread on flatbread or dip w/ pretzels

chilled distilled bottled water

:bible2:....................Enjoy the Convention dear Sisters and Brothers...............

I hope to take some sushi one day. I love it. I have to take a bottle of pepsi to drink at lunch. Don't know why I just have too.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

I usually do take a nap or just close my eyes and relax for 15 min. or so near the end of the lunch break. :sleeping:

This method works really well for this ole gal. Of course a small Thermos of coffee helps. ^_^

I usually need some mints and/or something to drink about halfway through the session. :drink:

Good for me that is allowed on my assignment  :thumbsup:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Do you know that when I eat apples, my stomach starts growling 15 minutes later, and I feel as though I haven't eaten anything!

I've tried everything I can think of, and I still want to take a nap.  The only thing that really helps is getting up and going for a brisk walk, and you can't really do that, because you want to hear as much of the convention as possible.

I laughed when I read your comment about 1-3 being the twilight zone for you because for me it's usually the same. Sometimes closer to 2-3 though.

I find not eating at all works, I just make sure I've eaten much earlier. I also like grazing, but find calorie loading in the mornings works wonders.

I'll eat a twelve grain bagel with egg white, sliced cheddar, bacon and romaine. First thing in the morning. The complex carbs seem to keep Mr. Hungry happy until I snack on a pear, at around 10:30 am. Delay lunch until when the sleepiness set in around 2 (yogurt parfait). Granola, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries, low fat Greek yogurt...

Then 15 unsalted almonds (if I remember to buy them).

Some sort of salad, with raspberry vinaigrette, cranberries, sunflower seeds, chicken etc. Or Thai sweet chili tuna with spinach leaves wrapped in a sundried tomato tortilla if I feel like it.

I've taken also to blending frozen fruit.....which you could keep chilled in a thermos.

Hot water, cream 10%, and 1/2 bag of assorted frozen fruits. This usually makes about 2 large cups (think beer mugs) of smoothie.

Leftovers are a shoe in too. There never seem to be any at our house though, because I've just learned to cook less and less. Last night I made baked chicken (4pcs), brown rice, and a salad, along with the smoothies I described. 3 of the 4 pieces of chicken were inhaled by the husband...

That gives me a great idea though, I'm gonna pull out my slow cooker and do a weeks worth of chili before the convention! That way I can just throw in some cut up fruits and veggies and roll with it!!

I'll eat a twelve grain bagel with egg white, sliced cheddar, bacon and romaine. First thing in the morning. The complex carbs seem to keep Mr. Hungry happy until I snack on a pear, at around 10:30 am. Delay lunch until when the sleepiness set in around 2 (yogurt parfait). Granola, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries, low fat Greek yogurt...

Yeah, but we're not supposed to eat during the sessions.  That's my problem.  If I could just graze - and maybe have a grande cinnamon dolce latte or cup of tea around 2 - I'm sure I'd be fine.   LOL.  :coffee:

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

I usually need some mints and/or something to drink about halfway through the session. :drink:

Good for me that is allowed on my assignment  :thumbsup:

Can you do that in first aid?   Maybe now that I've graduated nursing school, I can work there in the afternoon!  ;)

Don't know about first aid (or second aid), I am sitting in the auditorium during the program ..... surrounded by video and sound equipment.

LOL You guys are funny. If I really need to have a snack I take it out in the lobby and munch down. Then go back in. I sometimes need to have some protein mid afternoon. Even a peanut butter jam samich is good for a mid session break. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

LOL You guys are funny. If I really need to have a snack I take it out in the lobby and munch down. Then go back in. I sometimes need to have some protein mid afternoon. Even a peanut butter jam samich is good for a mid session break. 

Hmmm....I may just do that!  Thanks, Greg!  :)

P.S. My great, great-grandfather settled in Elora in the 1850's.  Small world!  :)

Planters makes a new fruit and nut snack mix that might just do the trick too!

I met a Special Pioneer couple on the train going to Convention last year and she said they take a bag of the fruit, nut and m & m mix for the whole day. She said it kept them awake by being just slightly hungry. That and plastic bottles of water and cold black coffee.

It was interesting to look at them. I have seen people walk into the facility with blankets, pillows, large coolers, big book bags etc., and here they were at the same site as everyone else and all they had was a small book bag each and a thermos. She's my inspiration for downsizing this year. I hope to have only my 1 back pack. I may have to consider riding a electric razor to the site from the train because of my feet, so the back pack will be just right.   

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

We carry one small handheld cooler with some cans of soda and the "goodies" we re having for lunch .... usually sandwiches or cheese and crackers. We also have some "Skittles" or something like that in one of the small book bags the girls carry.

There are five of us and we get by without a "family size" cooler

We carry one small handheld cooler with some cans of soda and the "goodies" we re having for lunch .... usually sandwiches or cheese and crackers. We also have some "Skittles" or something like that in one of the small book bags the girls carry.

There are five of us and we get by without a "family size" cooler

Oh John, I'm just me. Having a family of 5 is a different story. Good for you for not bringing a huge cooler!

But going with my daughter a few years now I've seen her so loaded down, because her husband is an attendant he gets there early and doesn't take much with him, she's left to take what they need. I hope to be a positive influence on her. 

I'm hoping to have grand girl with me in the mornings on the train so she can have her own back pack with a Bento box and her books. Simple and hands free.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

In the past... it was sub sandwiches, bag of chips, oreos, and whatever else. Since we're trying to really get slim this year... it'll just be a Chicken Cobb Salad for me and a Southwestern Salad for my wife. Both with a yogurt dressing at 35 calories for 2 tablespoons. A 60 calorie sugar-free chocolate pudding (because we're still stuck on the puddings from conventions and assemblies from long ago) and a Diet Coke. It all ends up being about 450-500 calories.

P.S. 12lbs down since April 18th! Gotta keep losing! Convention or not!

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

Can't wait till we don't have to worry about calories and trans fats and corn syrup. Can you imagine explaining those things to people born in the new system?!!! So many words and expressions will be out of our volcabulary, I can see where we will only need a simple language, much simplier than English.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D