JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Very Important Information Especially For Parents!

"Warning" If you, your kids or grand kids take pics from your phone---WATCH THIS! This is truly alarming - please take the time to watch. At the end they'll tell you how to set your phone so you don't run this risk! PLEASE PASS THIS INFO TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO TAKES PICTURES WITH THEIR CELL OR SMART PHONE AND POSTS THEM ONLINE. I want everyone of you to watch this and then be sure to share with all your family and friends. It's REALLY important info, about what your posting things on your cell phones can do TO YOU!!! Too much technology out there these days so beware.......... PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO WATCH THIS VIDEO, AND TAKE THE RECOMMENDED PRECAUTIONS.If you have children or grandchildren you NEED to watch this.

Adding to this I would avoid posting ANY kid photo on any public site... there is a lot of intel that can be grabbed from online photos... if you post lots of photos from your kids in lots of places, the stalkers can build a big picture of all your life...

And what scares the most is that it is just one of the dangers of the internet...

one awake said one time that there are an average of 700000 stalkers crawling the internet searching for kids photos and informations

note: if you have an android you can go the camera, then settings, then turn off gps tag on photos

Edited by jayrtom

Thank you for this Chuck...you brothers really look after us..would be great if FDS would notify congs.,

we can be sure the brothers worry a lot about this things (just search over the topic "internet") specially chat rooms and the disclosure of personal information on the internet...

Wow. That's scary. I've only posted pictures from my phone to instagram and on there I'm private and only have witnesses as followers. But I still turned geotagging off (it actually was already off) and I'll make sure to share this with others. Especially those with kids.

Thank you for the warning.

Wow. That's scary. I've only posted pictures from my phone to instagram and on there I'm private and only have witnesses as followers. But I still turned geotagging off (it actually was already off) and I'll make sure to share this with others. Especially those with kids.

Thank you for the warning.

Just to think of the "flip" side of this. Prior to "geotagging" people could still easily tell where many photos were taken. For example - guess where this was taken:

post-272-0-11516300-1369772290_thumb.jpg

or

post-272-0-24578900-1369772428_thumb.jpg

Or if I said - my family trip to .... (well you would know those pictures were from .....) - right?

I "kinda" understand this for children, but adults - unless you have a reason for someone to want to abduct you - like you are EXTREMELY wealthy and they can get a large ransom for you. This really doesn't need to be a concern - IMO.

And if you are concerned - you may also want to check with your school's website. Your kids' photos maybe there - telling the entire world where he is / what school he goes to. OR his Facebook page or twitter page or ...... OK - so they know - know what. I know where a whole bunch of kids are all the time - school or the park - even if I was a very "bad" person - it doesn't take a "rocket scientist" to know there are kids at schools - right? I just can't quite rap my mind around why knowing - this photo was taken at this location - is such a terrible thing? 

What am I missing?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Just to think of the "flip" side of this. Prior to "geotagging" people could still easily tell where many photos were taken. For example - guess where this was taken:

NDVD_042.JPG

or

P1000317.JPG

Or if I said - my family trip to .... (well you would know those pictures were from .....) - right?

I "kinda" understand this for children, but adults - unless you have a reason for someone to want to abduct you - like you are EXTREMELY wealthy and they can get a large ransom for you. This really doesn't need to be a concern - IMO.

And if you are concerned - you may also want to check with your school's website. Your kids' photos maybe there - telling the entire world where he is / what school he goes to. OR his Facebook page or twitter page or ...... OK - so they know - know what. I know where a whole bunch of kids are all the time - school or the park - even if I was a very "bad" person - it doesn't take a "rocket scientist" to know there are kids at schools - right? I just can't quite rap my mind around why knowing - this photo was taken at this location - is such a terrible thing?

What am I missing?

the point is that if the bad guy sees a pic of a kid he "likes" he knows where he can find the kid. but as you pointed out also, if he is a bad guy he will know just the same.

it will be better not put any photo of a kid, special very young ones

and don't disclose personal information or where are you going or what are you doing... the burglars love that a lote :wink:

the biggest danger, I think, is the kids surfing the net from early age, unattended...

like the FDS said, it's the same as giving them the keys to your car

as for the feature of gps tag I love that in most circumstances so I can remember where I took that photo... or if I want to show someone where is that particular place

Edited by jayrtom

Also, if you take your child's picture at his favorite spot in a local park, with the GPS coordinates, a person could stake out that spot looking for your child and with the time-stamp on the picture, he even knows the time of day to expect you and your child to show up there. This is just a "what if" scenario, but it is not all that unbelievable. Children have disappeared from public areas with their parents right there in the vicinity many times.

Also, if you take your child's picture at his favorite spot in a local park, with the GPS coordinates, a person could stake out that spot looking for your child and with the time-stamp on the picture, he even knows the time of day to expect you and your child to show up there. This is just a "what if" scenario, but it is not all that unbelievable. Children have disappeared from public areas with their parents right there in the vicinity many times.

So, the lesson here is - "Bad" people stake out parks - WATCH YOUR KIDS!!! The moment you take your eyes off of them - anything can happen.

OK - but I am still not seeing the connection to a picture? Do "bad" people really fixate on just one kid - to the point they wouldn't take ANY other kid? Aren't they just "bad" and any kid that catches their "fancy" becomes a target?

ED> Don't get me wrong - anything you can do to protect your kids you should do, but I am just wondering how paranoid I should be. note: just because you are paranoid - doesn't mean someone isn't after you  :eek:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Jerry!  :lol1:  :popcorn:

Hey, I was hoping one of our more "privacy conscience" posters would have at least had a thought here - eh?

Gary, Didn't I see a picture of you on the internet somewhere? Was it taken at your home? - maybe I can lift some GPS data from it. I am in need of a new person to start stalking  :wave:

Soon .....

Hey, I was hoping one of our more "privacy conscience" posters would have at least had a thought here - eh?

Gary, Didn't I see a picture of you on the internet somewhere? Was it taken at your home? - maybe I can lift some GPS data from it. I am in need of a new person to start stalking  :wave:

You'll have to find someone else.I'm already stalking Gary. :ph34r:

And if you are concerned - you may also want to check with your school's website. Your kids' photos maybe there - telling the entire world where he is / what school he goes to. OR his Facebook page or twitter page or ...... OK - so they know - know what. I know where a whole bunch of kids are all the time - school or the park - even if I was a very "bad" person - it doesn't take a "rocket scientist" to know there are kids at schools - right? I just can't quite rap my mind around why knowing - this photo was taken at this location - is such a terrible thing? 

What am I missing?

I feel where you're coming from, Jerry.  However,  you're thinking like a man.  Further, you're thinking like someone who has never had children.  Experience changes our perception of things.  A lot of sisters are worried about stalkers or being harassed in very inappropriate ways (not that there is an appropriate way to harass someone).  Women have more cause for concern.  Parents have even more cause for concern in this day and age. 

I even know some friends who have received death threats from workmates. 

I think this is enough cause for concern to at least let people know they can turn the GPS tracking off.

As for thinking like a man... show the video to your wife and let her explain it to you.

I have a picture of Jerry's mutt, I am going to use GPS tracking and stake out the area that he likes to poop in and when he comes around, I'll have him! Then I will take him home, make sausages and send them to Jerry as a gift!  :D

Edited by Musky

Can you just make the sausages and save yourself the drive here? I like chorizo  :)

Now if only someone could explain how racing is a sport  :eek: and why watching people drive in a circle is worth paying money for????

Soon .....

Thanks Chuck. Very timely warning. We have students from out of state at our school who are in 'safe shelters' due to a parent or family member trying to harm/kill them. They will resort to any means to locate these kids. Also, domestic abuse victims could easily be 'tracked' using this method. Very scary. I think it's hard for some to contemplate this 'evil' mindset that some perps have because, thankfully, they do not think like them - nor have been a 'victim' of someone like this. Yes, there are really 'perps' who get fixated on just one child/person and will go to great lengths to find them. This world has become so much like its ruler.  Very cruel, self- seeking and dangerously perverted.  Reminds me of a statement our DO made once:  This world is 'an altar to its god -satan.”   

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

Ok I get it. I'm paranoid. But better safe than sorry. I'm a very paranoid person. Ask my psychiatrist. It's true. :raspberry:

I even took off my real avatar here and replaced it with the 'Disney' Jasmin.

And since I added our convention to the calendar here I keep thinking that some weirdo apostate will stalk me there.

It doesn't make sense, I know.

I might also have watched too many "Law and Order: SVU" episodes, lol.

:touche: OK, so maybe I am a wee bit on the privacy conscious side.  :laugh:  Sorry friend, I don't think I have anything worthwhile to add on this topic. I did appreciate hearing your viewpoint, however.  :yes:

:squeeze:

Edited by steadfast

Thanks Musky for the alert.

I store all my photos on Google Plus.

Is that likely to be accessed by crocks?

I am always concerned about that.

It will be good when this old system is gone.

No more worries.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody."