JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you use Tablets at meetings..?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3491 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Here is how the epub looks In ibooks on the ipadpost-2920-0-41385300-1379439442_thumb.jppost-2920-0-69067300-1379439457_thumb.jp

With the longer scriptures a new window opens up. After you're done reading, you have to close it (by clicking the x)

I tried to upload a screenshot of it, but it tells me the file is too big for some reason. Sorry

Edited by star-bug

Here is how the epub looks In ibooks on the ipadattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

With the longer scriptures a new window opens up. After you're done reading, you have to close it (by clicking the x)

I tried to upload a screenshot of it, but it tells me the file is too big for some reason. Sorry

Wow! That looks very good :o

I definetely wanna find this for android!

To create a folder in IBooks, go into IBooks, click on 'Collections' top left next to the 'Store' button.  You will see a drop down of folders that are already in there, generally these are 'Books' 'Purchased Books' and 'PDFs' something like that.  At the bottom of the list you will see 'New' and 'Edit' buttons.  Click on 'New' and Voila, you can make your folder.  

To move books to different folders, top right 'edit' button lets you pick and move books around. 

Hope that helps :)

THANK YOU............SOOO MUCH!

Thanks Chris,  

Do you know if you can use a stylus with it? not that I think that will make me much quicker, but just curious.  Do you know if there is a freemium version of it? I'd like to try it out before spending £2 on it and then not end up using it =P

On a side note, I just found the most addictive game called Pivvot it's pretty cool 

I just deleted that game...I couldn't wrap my head around it. What am I missing?

Thanks Chris,  

Do you know if you can use a stylus with it? not that I think that will make me much quicker, but just curious.  Do you know if there is a freemium version of it? I'd like to try it out before spending £2 on it and then not end up using it =P

On a side note, I just found the most addictive game called Pivvot it's pretty cool 

I don't know about using a stylus, but you can type, write freehand, if you wish (I find typing much easier and use a smaller font).

It is so cheap, but if £2 is too much for you to risk, pay it, try it and if you don't like it I'll send you the £2!  I can't say fairer than that.

Someone refered e above a new epub specification that opens a popup (like the wol site) instead of jumping to the end of the file and then pressing back to return to the same place...

I've tried several android app's (moon+, mantano, fbreader, etc...) and it didn't worked...

Can someone confirm this is working on ipad? Or did I confuse things?

I'm not sure what you mean...........I download all my magazines (epub) from WOL onto my iPad, when hit the scriptures u get a popup. No special app, just "WOL".  

Guest Vegsushi

@Missy - No problem =D it's quite handy to have them in the folders if you need to flick between a WT and a Magazine.  If you see any clickable writing in your epub version just click on it .. there is an example in last weeks WT where it brought out the reference to an old Watchtower. 

I find that game really addictive although I passed the levels and now endless just gets a bit boring ... I'm so desperate for a new good game that I've downloaded a jigsaw app to try it out! haha.  

@Chris - lol what I said makes me sound so cheap - I generally don't pay for apps unless I know I'm going to use them because I've spent a lot on rubbish apps in the past =P ... I've now stopped paying the 69p to try and complete the level in Candy Crush - although this means that I have been stuck on the same level for the past 3 weeks :( 

@Chuck - I'm the same as Missy, I just download the Epub version of the WT, although I only noticed the change recently for me and a sister in the same hall with the same download doesn't get it (maybe she downloaded it before they made the change).  I hope they add this to the books too that would be really useful.  When I first saw this feature I loved it!! I was so impressed I was showing everyone ... major geek fest! <insert geek face here>

How do u load from your iPad?

Do you mean how do I get the epub to the ipad?

I go to jw.org, go to the publication, then click on epub.

It down loads, then a window opens up that says " open in ..." You just chose which app you want to use. Opens it automatically in that app.

To get the "pop up" Scriptures effects, does the epub file have to be in "epub 3" format for it to work that way?

It seems that the file has to be on epub3 specification (the latest one) but I've tried all's that say they are compatible with the epub3... but nothing different happens...

Or did you mean how did I get the screenshot on here?

I click the power and home button at the same time. That takes a screenshot and stores it with your images.

Then in the post here I just load it like a regular picture.

Oh....ok...I have to try that. Thank you!

@Missy - No problem =D it's quite handy to have them in the folders if you need to flick between a WT and a Magazine.  If you see any clickable writing in your epub version just click on it .. there is an example in last weeks WT where it brought out the reference to an old Watchtower. 

I find that game really addictive although I passed the levels and now endless just gets a bit boring ... I'm so desperate for a new good game that I've downloaded a jigsaw app to try it out! haha.  

What jigsaw app did you download?

@Chris - lol what I said makes me sound so cheap - I generally don't pay for apps unless I know I'm going to use them because I've spent a lot on rubbish apps in the past =P ... I've now stopped paying the 69p to try and complete the level in Candy Crush - although this means that I have been stuck on the same level for the past 3 weeks :(

@Chuck - I'm the same as Missy, I just download the Epub version of the WT, although I only noticed the change recently for me and a sister in the same hall with the same download doesn't get it (maybe she downloaded it before they made the change).  I hope they add this to the books too that would be really useful.  When I first saw this feature I loved it!! I was so impressed I was showing everyone ... major geek fest! <insert geek face here>

I didn't think that at all, sister.  LOL.  I paid £2.49 for it and the same for my wife and we both think it is the best app we have ever downloaded as far as recording talks and making simultaneous notes is concerned.

It is on offer now at £1.99 - a bargain, IMO.  We use it every Sunday for the Public Talk, and I used it for almost every talk of the District Convention.  To have notes AND the recording together is so helpful - you can replay later, pause and add more notes if you want to.

Overall, I think the iPad is the best piece of technology I have ever owned, and I am still learning new 'tricks and tips' for it.

I didn't think that at all, sister.  LOL.  I paid £2.49 for it and the same for my wife and we both think it is the best app we have ever downloaded as far as recording talks and making simultaneous notes is concerned.

It is on offer now at £1.99 - a bargain, IMO.  We use it every Sunday for the Public Talk, and I used it for almost every talk of the District Convention.  To have notes AND the recording together is so helpful - you can replay later, pause and add more notes if you want to.

Overall, I think the iPad is the best piece of technology I have ever owned, and I am still learning new 'tricks and tips' for it.

Please share all "tricks and tips", please  :D .

To get the "pop up" Scriptures effects, does the epub file have to be in "epub 3" format for it to work that way?

João already mentioned this, but yes, the file in question does have to be in the epub 3 format for the pop ups to work. It's a relatively minor change in the underlying html. I took a few hours last Tuesday to figure it out and updated the last two chapters of my Jeremiah book to use the pop ups. The only thing I miss is that I can't highlight in the scriptures anymore.

And here's what long scriptures and external references look like:

ew5u.png

Anyone know of an android app that has the popup ability mentioned above for the scriptures in the epub magazines?

I've tried several with no success...

The only reader i use is Mantano reader, Then I use the WSM, has all the weeks scriptures, studies etc.

The scriptures are in blue, click on the scripture it takes you to the page. when you are finished or want to move on. click on the same scripture it takes you back to your paragraph. hope this helps some.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

The only reader i use is Mantano reader, Then I use the WSM, has all the weeks scriptures, studies etc.

The scriptures are in blue, click on the scripture it takes you to the page. when you are finished or want to move on. click on the same scripture it takes you back to your paragraph. hope this helps some.

Yes, that's the way it's done for now with every app I've tried. Strange is the fact that several indicate support for the EPUB3 specification but this popup feature don't work

you can try search on the play store for "epub3" and try one of the app's that shows up... maybe it's a problem with my tablet...

Please share all "tricks and tips", please  :D .

Most I have picked up on this forum!  :D

But if I come across new ones, I'll certainly share them.   :thumbsup:

Sometimes I think: "What do I want to do here?" and then type the question into Google :"How do I........?"  I get lots of information on simple things that way.