JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you use Tablets at meetings..?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3489 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I use mine for the book study and watchtower. We are advised not to use on the platform and encouraged to use bible wherever possible. Quite a few teenagers have them but their ability to find a scripture in a traditional bible is poor. I love the fact i can enlarge the text especially when tired and cannot see very well. The ability to highlight and add notes and direct link to scriptures in the text makes for a good prestudy.

I now use my I Pad for all the meetings. I've got just about everything on it and can pull up any book or publication without lugging tons of books around. I can't do that because of my really bad fibromyalgia pain.  Several others now use their tablets at all the meetings  too. I am NOT old school tech-wise.  :wink: 

As for embarrassing funny tech things....my phone gets bad weather alerts and makes that alert warning sound. And it did go off near the end of the service meeting a few weeks ago and everyone laughed. Afterwards one of our elders wanted to make sure it wasn't a tornado warning. It wasn't.  :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed that the newer study editions of the Watchtower online have the lyrics to the songs included?

So if you are using your tablet or device at the study, you can go right into the song with everyone else instead of reaching for the songbook

Edited by jedOKC6

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

I had NOT noticed that. This must be in the ePub version - very nice.

I am getting the hang of using the wol.jw.org for Viet and English. It has the nice double arrow to flip quickly between the 2 and always at the same place. So, no matter which article I move up or down - English or Viet - I am always at the same place.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Another recent change is that from the July 2013 Study Edition onward the EPUBs are made using the EPUB 3 specification. If you have a EPUB 3 compatible reader (iBooks on iOS) you'll notice scriptural references open in small pop-ups. Longer references (like entire chapters and articles) and songs open in a full screen pop-up.

Another recent change is that from the July 2013 Study Edition onward the EPUBs are made using the EPUB 3 specification. If you have a EPUB 3 compatible reader (iBooks on iOS) you'll notice scriptural references open in small pop-ups. Longer references (like entire chapters and articles) and songs open in a full screen pop-up.

I just noticed that recently. I love how the brothers are keeping up with or even ahead of the latest technology.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Vegsushi

I've been using my iPad mini for a while (as I travel quite a few times a year for work) I find it really useful to have all the books at my fingertips.

I download the ePub version of everything if available to allow for underlining and making notes. The PDF version I find horrible to navigate through.

I have my books in folders within iBooks:

Spiritual books

Magazines 2013

Magazine archive

Watchtower study - latest and upcoming WTs

Watchtower study - archive

I have a question regarding note taking and personal study. I currently use Evernote to take down all public talks etc I use this as the data is stored in the cloud, so I always have that backup. I can also share the notes and view it on their site once I log in.

What does everyone else use to take notes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I

I have a question regarding note taking and personal study. I currently use Evernote to take down all public talks etc I use this as the data is stored in the cloud, so I always have that backup. I can also share the notes and view it on their site once I log in.

What does everyone else use to take notes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I (and others here) use Notability, as I can take notes and record the talk at the same time.  On playback, if you pick a particular part of your notes, the playback will go to that point.

It saves to the iPad, but you can export it and it exports pdf and recordings together (if you wish) in a zip file.  I use dropbox and download later to my PC, or email the zip file to myself.  I haven't found a way of unzipping on iPad yet, so always use my PC for that.

edit: I just googled and found that there is a winzip app so I'll try that out.

Hope this helps, Susana.

Edited by bohemian

I use an ipad. Use equipd and love it. Also, an elder shares his km's on gmail with brothers that use tablets. But they are shared and he can always delete someone that becomes disfellowshipped. I download wt study, wt and awake "epub" format - its great!

I use my iPad for the songs, and to take notes on the public talk. (Notability) Sometimes the WT references are really handy. I like my paper WT because I try to write the scriptures in the margins. I have the books I use in iBooks, and you can make notes, and even write the scriptures, but I still like my Paper WT better. And, if I forget a book, it is right there, or even study the wrong week on the WT, I have them right there. (Telling stories on myself)

I can down load notebooks for the assemblies and conventions, and take notes on the iPad, but I don't know how I like it. I have not figured out how to thumb back and forth when we discuss them in the meetings. Practice, maybe.

And once in a while, Siri makes a comment at the meeting. Inspires humility! And a chuckle.

I know ones have mentioned they can find a scriptures faster on a tablet. I do not have that down, and to be honest, you'd have to pry my trusty Bible from my cold stiff hands. Well, that is a bit melodramatic, but you get the point. I know I could use it for more, but right now, I am giving it thought. I can see myself using it for the congregation book study. But my bag I take to the meeting is considerately lighter!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

My Wife and I both use Net Books, The Acer is just about the size of an Ipad, as it has a 7" screan. We both like it. Claudia takes notes with her's for public talks and assemblies and conventions. After the conventions she listens to the cd recording of the assembly and compares her notes for accuracy. She then prints books of the assembly and gives them to some that cant get there or cant keep up with the talks.

We use ours at all the meetings. I have all the books, songs, etc. My eyes are not good and without the net book, we would not be able to follow along, as I can not read the small bible, and even the large bible makes my eyes water to the point that I can not keep going.

I use the program called Isilo and with it can annotate (hi-light) the publications, such as school, WT etc,

I hope this helps some. We dont have tablet, as they came out after we got our Net books.

Anyone know of an android app that has the popup ability mentioned above for the scriptures in the epub magazines?

I've tried several with no success...

Not popup, but I use iSilo a lot. I don't use the WSM files. I used the full magazine file. I like it because the scripture links go to the rbi8 file. I have the full chapter to look at for context. The same with the KM only file.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Guest Vegsushi

I use my iPad mini for everything and I to use notability for notes. I did know you cloud use folders ibooks. Can you tell me how to use folders? 

To create a folder in IBooks, go into IBooks, click on 'Collections' top left next to the 'Store' button.  You will see a drop down of folders that are already in there, generally these are 'Books' 'Purchased Books' and 'PDFs' something like that.  At the bottom of the list you will see 'New' and 'Edit' buttons.  Click on 'New' and Voila, you can make your folder.  

To move books to different folders, top right 'edit' button lets you pick and move books around. 

Hope that helps :) 

Guest Vegsushi

I (and others here) use Notability, as I can take notes and record the talk at the same time.  On playback, if you pick a particular part of your notes, the playback will go to that point.

It saves to the iPad, but you can export it and it exports pdf and recordings together (if you wish) in a zip file.  I use dropbox and download later to my PC, or email the zip file to myself.  I haven't found a way of unzipping on iPad yet, so always use my PC for that.

edit: I just googled and found that there is a winzip app so I'll try that out.

Hope this helps, Susana.

Thanks Chris,  

Do you know if you can use a stylus with it? not that I think that will make me much quicker, but just curious.  Do you know if there is a freemium version of it? I'd like to try it out before spending £2 on it and then not end up using it =P

On a side note, I just found the most addictive game called Pivvot it's pretty cool 

Not popup, but I use iSilo a lot. I don't use the WSM files. I used the full magazine file. I like it because the scripture links go to the rbi8 file. I have the full chapter to look at for context. The same with the KM only file.

Someone refered e above a new epub specification that opens a popup (like the wol site) instead of jumping to the end of the file and then pressing back to return to the same place...

I've tried several android app's (moon+, mantano, fbreader, etc...) and it didn't worked...

Can someone confirm this is working on ipad? Or did I confuse things?

Guest Vegsushi

Someone refered e above a new epub specification that opens a popup (like the wol site) instead of jumping to the end of the file and then pressing back to return to the same place...

I've tried several android app's (moon+, mantano, fbreader, etc...) and it didn't worked...

Can someone confirm this is working on ipad? Or did I confuse things?

Yes this is working on the IPad version

@Tim - that is exactly what I was referring to =D