JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you use Tablets at meetings..?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3462 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Yesterday I bought my first tablet, mainly to be able to show videos to my students more easily than carrying my laptop. It's a cheap local brand tablet, with a 10 inch screen. So far it works great and videos look just beautiful.

I had been using Moon Reader for some time in my phone, but I was not happy with it. I found it rather unfriendly for several reasons. Many here have praised Moon Reader as a great app, so I guess I could have liked it better if I had made the effort to learn to use it well, but anyway I installed Mantano Reader and I'm loving it.

Mantano is really easy to use from the first minute. I have set it up to import books from the downloads folder as well as JW Reader's mags folder, so I can easily download magazines with JW Reader and they are directly imported into Mantano.

I was also able to create several collections to classify my books, so I can quickly display only the publications we use at meetings, those I use at studies, magazines in Spanish for personal reading... Highlighting is very easy, just long click on a word, select the text, and click the Highlight button. I am sure I can use different highlighting colors and styles, but I haven't got there yet. :innocent:

I don't like the way it shows scriptures, I would prefer them to display in a box, but I can live with that. There's also the possibility to set up a dictionary so that you can quickly check the meaning of any word. I have to research that, because it can be very useful when reading publications in English and Romanian.

Anyone here uses Mantano? Do you have any tips? I will share what I discover.

By the way, do you know of any app to classify and play videos? I have downloaded a lot of videos from jw.org in different languages, now I need some way to show them by categories.

EDIT: I had posted this in the wrong thread. Moved it here.

If you have the paid version of Mantano, a recent update added the ability for "pop up" scriptures. 

If you have the paid version of Mantano, a recent update added the ability for "pop up" scriptures.

Is the pop-up scriptures for epub files only or does it pop-up pdf file scriptures as well?

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Is the pop-up scriptures for epub files only or does it pop-up pdf file scriptures as well?

From what I read in the reviews, it pops up scriptures and footnotes. But there was a trade off. When they added the "epub 3" functions, they disabled most of the epub 2 functions. So now the highlighting and underlining has issues as well as the pictures do not enlarge any longer when you tap on them. I am holding off on updating for now since I use the app for all of my study material. They promise more updates to fix these issues soon though. 

We have several brothers using tablets for the Bible reading. One very young brother, about 8 did his reading via tablet this week.

Several use tablets for reading paragraphs for the WT. I use mine when conducting the Congregation Bible Study, but not for conducting the WT.

I like a lot of marginal notes for  the WT.

Almost 50% of our congregation use tablets during the meetings either for the publication or just for the scriptures.

I have always stumbled thru the minor prophets, but now I am right at the verse when my wife is still turning pages (and she is fast!)

I use JW Librerary, Equipd and iBooks. I have Notability and Good Reader, but have not found much use for them yet.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Yes, I bought it yesterday. I think I have the latest version.

From what I read in the reviews, it pops up scriptures and footnotes. But there was a trade off. When they added the "epub 3" functions, they disabled most of the epub 2 functions. So now the highlighting and underlining has issues as well as the pictures do not enlarge any longer when you tap on them. I am holding off on updating for now since I use the app for all of my study material. They promise more updates to fix these issues soon though. 

Musky, when I first opened the Draw Close book to prepare it for today's meeting, it said something like: "This is an ePub3 book, do you prefer to open it with epub2 reader or the new epub3 reader." Then it said the epub3 reader has some new functions such as opening footnotes in popup boxes. It also said you can switch from one reader to the other at any time, but any highlighting and annotations will be lost.

I selected opening the book with epub3 reader, but it got stuck in the cover, it wouldn't go to the next page. The table of contents was working, but then it didn't display anything in any page. So next time I told it to open with epub2 reader and it worked fine.

So it seems updating is not a problem, because you can choose what reader to use.

Ebony, could I ask that you use a font which is more readable to those of us who need help in this area?

I use my tablet because the font size is larger and clearer, and the large-print Bible because the small one is too small. The combination of small size, cursive font and pale colour means I can't read what I am certain are great posts.

Thamks

Awww I do apologize and I understand. I'm a purple fanatic, I love all shades LOL. I'd be happy to adjust the font and color.

Good to know, thanks Carlos.

I was looking a bit at this, Chuck. In the properties for every book you can choose epub2, epub3 or the program default. So far I haven't been able to view properly any of our publications with the epub3 reader. I am going to contact the people at Mantano with this problem.

EDIT: I left the tablet trying to open the book, and after a few minutes it worked. Now when I click again on that book, it opens instantly. Epub3 looks quite better. And it shows scriptures in popup boxes. That is a great extra. But I still find it unstable. Sometimes it just goes crazy. Hope they will continue working on this.

Edited by cvillarrubia

Awww I do apologize and I understand. I'm a purple fanatic, I love all shades LOL. I'd be happy to adjust the font and color.

Thanks so much. I love purple too! When I first came into the truth I had a beloved bright purple shirt (I have another one now!) and when I visited one of the elders who had sons my age, the elder's mother used to laugh at it. Years later when she was blind and almost deaf, she didn't know who I was until they said "purple shirt", then she knew it was me!

I definitely use my iPad at the meetings - both for note taking AND for all of my publications. 

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

I used my tablet for my talk last night. I gave the entire talk and read the scriptures from the tablet. I did have the large print copy and my paper notes with me incase the tablet had problems but, all went smooth.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 2 months later...

My tablet history and usage at meetings:

My wife and I both have used the 2012 Nexus 7 since it came out. Its nice to have a larger screen than my Palm Tungsten E2 that I regularly used right up until I got my Nexus 7.  Before my Palm T E2 I used a Palm Pilot. (No Apple idevices were not first, they just got more publicity)  Historically I have always used islo for meetings. I still use isilo as its files are so small, and its handy to have a another app to task switch to beside the JW App and Moon+ Reader.  

We use Moon+ Reader for use with .Epubs and .PDF files.  My prefered format is .Epub as it's so easy to annotate and is scales to my devices.  I always have all three Apps open and task switch between them as needed during the meetings. I use the JW app for the Bible and B.E. book. Moon+ Reader App for WT.  And isilo App for OKM, and quick access to songbook. I regularly use my Nexus 7 for the #1 reading. I also set my margins very narrow so as to make the most efficient use of my screen space.  

I was the first to regularly use a tablet(Palm) in our hall, but now at least 1/3 of the congregation regularly use them for all parts of the meetings in the audience and almost 1/2 of the parts on the stage. It seems our elders and servants have been the first to upgrade to the modern era as soon as it was OK'd for them to be used for parts.  It has been fun to see the progressive increase of usage of tablets in our hall.

Sometimes even my small and lightweight Nexus 7 seems a bit heavy and bulky to me. I am thinking at some point about getting a 5" Android such as the Motorola G or E. The Moto X is out of my budget. I have seen Brothers using 5" Androids and looked at them after the meeting and it seems very feasible for me to use one. I am already used to using a smaller screen. One thing about .epub's is they scale to your screen size well. You can make the print as large as you want, you just have to scroll a little more often. I know some prefer 9" tablets but they are to heavy and big and non portable for me.

Personal Greetings from Paul and Kathy Forgive me if I got long winded, there is just so much to share.

Yes, I use now for more than a year my tablet, but also my study bible to have som contex if needed.

Use the epubs km and wts from jw.org (before I made my own km epub)

Reading wt and cong. Bible study on stage goes very well.

In our congregation (105 publ) about 30 using now a tablet.

And in the service the videos and qustions about the bible in a shortcut.

ITS GREAT...