JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you use Tablets at meetings..?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3484 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Well, I used Notability on my iPad today to record and make notes of the final talk of the Circuit Overseer's visit.  It worked excellently. 

I do have some more work to do to get fully to grips with the app.  I discovered that switching apps to read a scripture from NWT app stopped the recording. :(

But it was a good learning experience.

Hopefully I will get good sound at the DC this year.

We use to give public talks out of the small bible, then we went to the big print bible and our eyes watered so much that we can no longer take parts on the meetings.

Finally we purchased a Net Book, it has the same size screan that an Ipad has, My wife has one also, She uses it for taking extensive notes on public talks, and conventions. She then makes books for the brothers that can not handle the CDs. We have everything on our Net Book. Songbook, Bible, WT , and Service meeting.

We can now keep going in the meetings because we can make the print as large as needed. We are the only two in the Cong. that use them but rather than feel out of place, we can make comments and have a share.

Without the net book we would just be sitting and listening. Lets do anything we can to keep studying and being at the meetings. We use Isilo for all parts and the new Isilo lets you annotate so you can underline or hi-light the parts. Without it , it would be harder.

We some times record from the Williams Sound receiver directly into the Net Book, using Audacity. Works great, we also use Ubuntu on our computers.

Hope this helps someone

Ross

I asked one of the elders in my Hall who is a major tech guy why he doesn't use an Ipad during the mtg - he said he uses it all the time for personal study but feels that if he brought it to the mtg some would think he was bragging about having one or that others might think they need one too, so he just prefers to go books-only while at the hall.

Its interesting at our convention I noticed even CO's using tablets to take notes.

I use my samsung galaxy note 10.1, I even use it for song. I do look up the scriptures using my bible, that is just my preference, I also use for study and reading since my sons now do most of the driving. We have several that use tablets in our hall. Even our CO used is except when he was doing his parts. 

At our District Convention last week I saw soooo many of the friends with tablets. The vast majority were iPads.

Someone sitting in our row took notes using the touchscreen keyboard. It wasn't actually distracting. I discovered it by coincidence.

Many took occasional pictures during the program by holding the tablet up above their heads. I didn't mind. Like with so many other potential distractions you just have to keep focused on the speaker.

I think those that don't have tablets or would like one are the ones distracted by them because they are intrigued by it?

I also didn't notice any glare at all. But we were sitting on ground level. Maybe for those sitting upstairs it was different.

I turned down the brightness on mine. I only used it for singing and looking at the PDF program anyway. I took notes with a pen and paper; half of which I can't even read now lol. My handwriting is terrible when I write a mile a minute. I might have to try typing after all!

The other week a brother used his iPad to read the WT on stage. Maybe the elders didn't catch it in time. Maybe it's ok for reading out of? I'll have to pay attention.

We are using a Net Book, Have thought of an I pad but the Net Book serves the purpose. We use ISILO for all meetings. It has everything. Apple has an ap that you can use ISILO and it works great.

A Brother converts WTs and KMs plus some books for the IPad that works with ISILO

We dont care what the other brothers think, no one has said anything to me. I agree that not to use on the platform.

We have an eye problem that will not allow us to do what we use to. We use what we have to, to just keep going. Even in the door to door service . We always have someone with us that can use the bible. But can show them the scripture in large print on Net book

Ross

More than likely did not catch him in time.  I know here you cant go up on the podium in any form and/or run roving mic's with one.  I can understand that.

I run roving mics with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 all the time.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

They do in the KH I go to when I'm at work, but in mine?............No Way!

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I also didn't notice any glare at all. But we were sitting on ground level. Maybe for those sitting upstairs it was different. I turned down the brightness on mine.

Yes, if you sat on the floor you would not see the glare. Turning down the brightness was not the problem with the glare at our convention. It was not light coming from the tablets that was a problem, it was the glare being "reflected"  ... like if they were all holding mirrors.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

For the older generation of Witnesses that balk at using new technology, the speaker at our Convention used the catch phrase "old school is no school." I have to admit that I do set limits on my tech toys so I guess I am "old school", but I just prefer paper.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I sat on the floor but I tried to be careful to not hold my tablet in a way to limit the reflection. Not always successful though. As I get older, I find I can't write fast enough to keep up and then I can't read my notes. I used to have very nice penmanship, but no more. I can type pretty fast.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

We dont have that as a problem. We sit in the car at the District Convention and listen to the program with williams sound linked to the car radio.

Just cant handle the seats any more. Cost me $450. in Chiropractic treatments and found another way to make it through. Sit in Car.

At the One and Two day assemblies, we sit in folding chairs along a wall out of the way for elderly. This works great and dont bother any one.

I recently bought a tablet and I'm definitely going to use that as a study tool! My study conductor was a little bit against the idea of me using tablet, because she was worried that I won't be able to learn how to 'use' Bible. She also said that I would stand out in congregation too much. ô_ô

Oh The HORROR!   Oh the SHAME!  Oh the EMBARRASSMENT!

Last night I forgot to turn off the volume on my iPad - not a problem normally as I don't use any alerts or keyboard sounds etc.  But switching apps from iSilo to iBooks and JW-Bible I was using the double-click button and left it pressed just a little too long.

As the school overseer began to give comments on a sister's talk, my iPad shouted "Siri is not available".

Heads turned, a ripple of laughter, the school overseer said "is there another talk being given somewhere?"

I could not find a hole to crawl into, but I am sure I shrank physically at that moment.

Oh The HORROR!   Oh the SHAME!  Oh the EMBARRASSMENT!

Last night I forgot to turn off the volume on my iPad - not a problem normally as I don't use any alerts or keyboard sounds etc.  But switching apps from iSilo to iBooks and JW-Bible I was using the double-click button and left it pressed just a little too long.

As the school overseer began to give comments on a sister's talk, my iPad shouted "Siri is not available".

Heads turned, a ripple of laughter, the school overseer said "is there another talk being given somewhere?"

I could not find a hole to crawl into, but I am sure I shrank physically at that moment.

I had that once with my phone.  During the school the phone rang and my ringtone is the Mission Impossible theme.  Of course I didn't clue in it was mine  - ppl are looking at me and I am looking around - finally my wife says: "Its you!"  

The brother on the platform says: "someone is on a mission"   :o

Had a few laughs over that for a while.  LOL!  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx, Renee. At the recent convention, I had the same situation with glare from a tablet, that a young brother was using. I hated to, but I asked if they could set differently, or something. I do have ADD, and that flash was so distracting! I have all I can do to take proper notes. My apologies to that young brother, wherever he is.