JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Entertaining your Brothers and Sisters.

When entertaining your Brothers and Sisters, how do you make the experience special or unique?

The most important ingredient as always is the company and upbuilding, spiritual speech balanced with great entertainment.

These are some of the things we do ... would love to hear your ideas too, (that we can pinch!).

When it comes to the food ... we try and value our guests by buying only the best ... even if its a simple meal of eggs on toast - we will make sure the eggs are from a local egg farm, or private. Milk is always from the vats and meat from a local butcher rather than the supermarket Our favourite food to cook would be a Roast with Kumera, potatoes, yams - (kumera - NZ sweet potato), or a authentic curry made from scratch. I think its not about elaborate ... just simple and tasty ... and I want to make them feel special, we won't let them do the dishes (unless it's a huge crowd) ... it's for us,more about getting to know the brothers and sisters, their spiritiual heritages, and big bumps they have had to get over in order to serve Jehovah.

The ambience we create is an ambience we can get as close to the New System we can, we don't implement things that won't be in the new system, but focus on the good things from Jehovah, like having a backdrop of beautiful gardens or waterfalls on our computer/television  with nice music in the background, or Kingdom Melodies quietly in the background. I usually make one of the young guys DJ and give them a selection of music. We also have in the background sometimes ... native bird sounds. We play a lot of boardgames and make plans for the summer. Having a warm crackling fire in the Winter is a must. 

In the summer we have lawn boulles or Volleyball set up ... and am planning on converting our garage so it can accommodate more brothers and sisters in comfort.

So ... your turn what recipes / dishes do you serve up to your guests, ones that give them comfort and are yet simple and not overly expensive? I need some new ideas.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

In a congregation we were in in Florida a family hosted a bon fire and "chili party" each fall when the weather cooled off. They had an outside propane burner and a huge cast iron pot... Everyone brought a pot of chili and dumped it in the larger cooker pot. Since kids were there super spicy was not allowed. It was so much fun. You'd go back for more chili and since others had arrived and added theirs it would taste all together different. We are planning to have one here with our new congregation in the fall.

Sent from my handheld mobile devise

We meet for service in the next town from me on Wednesday. Sort of in the middle of our territory. Sort of. Wednesday, we had 15 there. Generally 10-12. Anyway, several of us sisters bring food, for sure, then others just bring whatever. Anyway, we have no menu. So, it is just fun. One Wednesday, we had three cheesecakes! It works. We bring the best we can. And, it is just fun. 

I was invited to an adult swim party last week. I brought smoked salmon and acorn soup. Native foods to our area. Sort of scary. Acorn soup is a bit like poi. some will like it, and some won't. I had only one. "I'm not eating that poi". I just laughed. 

I used to fix lunch when I worked at the clinic. That was okay, but to be able to do the same for the friends is just wonderful. One of my favorites is smoked salmon soup. It is made like clam chowder, but, from canned smoke salmon. 

This next Wednesday, I'm torn between yams with spicy sausage, pineapple, butter, and brown sugar. Or a Chinese chicken salad! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Haha Sister Bea ... poi here is a Maori 'ball' on a string used for dancing. Ohh hold on ill show you.

I don't think that is YOUR poi ... explain to me 'poi' in your culture and would love the recipe to Acorn soup too!!

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Haha can't do that ... I've just given my tweezers away and the popcorn sticks in my teeth, and the soda drink will rot any teeth I do have left! I should add 'healthy' to my list of demands, oops i mean requests. Nice suggestion my darling x