JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan Kitty Nearly Dies

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3914 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

You don't want to feed your cat animal protein - don't own a cat! Try birds :yes:

Note: Zoey loves hamburgers. I like to see him happy. Ground bison is his favorite :chef:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Poor kitty. The article mentions Melbourne.

Is that Aussie or US. Just incase the topic is brought up.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I have lived in the country most of my life. We have cats (also dogs, pigs, chickens, horses - have had cows) right now about 10-14 cats - outside cats.

We have given our cats cows milk and never had any bad things happen. It has never hurt them and they really enjoy it.

If you are going to have animals it is always best to research what they eat ... what THEY eat, not what we eat or want them to eat ... and feed them what they need.

While dogs are omnivores and can/should have a diet of meat and vegetables, cats are carnivores and need a diet heavy on meat. That is why you should not expect cats to live on a steady diet of dog food or feed a dog only cat food - they are made for the animals they are intended for.

The poor kitty in this story!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

My cats always got milk.

They also brought back to the house a steady diet of mice, so i know they were getting the proper amount of meat they were created to consume :-P

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I don't know about this, there is so much missing from this article.

There are plenty of vegan cat food products on the market and plenty of people buying them, and no news stories of all these cats all of a sudden dying from vegan cat food.  Vegan diet's for animals is not a new thing.

I don't know anything about this, I have never fed my cats vegan cat food so I am no expert, but there is alot missing from this article.  It could have been the pasta that made the cat sick.

Again, I am not saying this is the right diet for a cat or any animal, but I am not positive it was a vegan diet that made this cat sick.  The article says "potatoes, rice milk and pasta"  Article just seems a bit one sided is all.

I am not writing this to support vegan food for cats either as it is something I have never done research on and I have no idea if vegan food for cats is right or not.  Just suggesting that there seems to more to the story then this little blurb from a newspaper.

As to letting your pet each animals it has caught, word of caution.  In 2006 my perfectly healthy 8 yr old dog ate part of a rabbit he caught, he died a few days later.  I didn't pay for an autopsy, but the vet felt the rabbit had something wrong with it.   

I don't know about this, there is so much missing from this article.

There are plenty of vegan cat food products on the market and plenty of people buying them, and no news stories of all these cats all of a sudden dying from vegan cat food.  Vegan diet's for animals is not a new thing.

I don't know anything about this, I have never fed my cats vegan cat food so I am no expert, but there is alot missing from this article.  It could have been the pasta that made the cat sick.

Again, I am not saying this is the right diet for a cat or any animal, but I am not positive it was a vegan diet that made this cat sick.  The article says "potatoes, rice milk and pasta"  Article just seems a bit one sided is all.

It could have been the pasta. I also think that it is important to note that this was a kitten, not an adult cat, and that the kittens diet consisted of "potatoes, rice milk, and pasta". There is no mention of a vegan cat food product, which would be specially formulated to meet the dietary qualifications for a cat. Cats require Taurine, which only occurs naturally in animal tissue. However, since the middle of the last century, synthetic Taurine has been able to be produced.

In other words, a the concept of a vegan cat diet would have been unnatural, unhealthy, and deadly until just a short time ago. However today it is possible if done properly using the proper manufactured cat food products in the proper amounts required. A certain amount of education is required on the cat owner who chooses to push their idealogies on their feline, as well as alertness/attentiveness to it's diet and food intake.

As to letting your pet each animals it has caught, word of caution.  In 2006 my perfectly healthy 8 yr old dog ate part of a rabbit he caught, he died a few days later.  I didn't pay for an autopsy, but the vet felt the rabbit had something wrong with it.

Sounds likely.

It hurts to lose a pet. I am curious to know how we will process and react to the death of animals we cherish even in the new system.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

well, I have done research " DO NOT FEED YOUR CAT A VEGAN DIET", especially a kitten whom needs all the protein and taurine and b vitamins, dr L Zoren ( a well known feline vet) cats need 3X more protein then omnivorous animals of same size, and kittens about 1.5X per same size dog or puppy,(I will climb down from soap box now) I feed raw to my three kittens who where raised on raw food ( a recipe can be found mixed with all vits and minerals on the web) .Crazy ppl. :taz:

once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing strips with plaid is easy. Einstein

I feed raw to my three kittens who where raised on raw food ( a recipe can be found mixed with all vits and minerals on the web) .Crazy ppl. :taz:

When we got our new dog Cookie back in 2008, we started down the path of feeding her raw food. But like was mentioned in this thread, feeding a dog real food can get quite expensive. Eventually a high quality dog food was introduced simply for the economics of it, and has become her staple, but we still buy some raw treats for her and she gets real food when we prepare meals.

Weren't cats "designed" by Jehovah to eat vegetation?

Not likely. Science indicates otherwise....

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/taurine-in-cats/3857

What about Isaiah's prophecy?

*** g 12/11 p. 11 Does God Care About Animals? ***

Happily, the Bible describes the time when under God’s Kingdom rule, “the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah.” (Isaiah 11:9) Such knowledge will provide obedient humans with the education and training they need to manage the earth properly. The Creator’s influence will then ensure that harmony prevails between man and beast, thus restoring the conditions on earth that God originally purposed.

The Bible describes the transformation that will then take place, explaining: “The wolf will actually reside for a while with the male lamb, and with the kid the leopard itself will lie down, and the calf and the maned young lion and the well-fed animal all together; and a mere little boy will be leader over them. And the cow and the bear themselves will feed; together their young ones will lie down. And even the lion will eat straw just like the bull. And the sucking child will certainly play upon the hole of the cobra; and upon the light aperture of a poisonous snake will a weaned child actually put his own hand.” What a glorious prospect to contemplate!—Isaiah 11:6-8.

You don't want to feed your cat animal protein - don't own a cat! Try birds :yes:

Note: Zoey loves hamburgers. I like to see him happy. Ground bison is his favorite :chef:

Dogs are omnivores, so they can stand to have some veggies in their diet.  Just be careful as a number of things are poisonous to dogs.  You named your male dog Zoey?

I was told most animals are lactose intolerant,so I never gave them milk.But you can check with vet.

I heard the same.

My cats always got milk.

They also brought back to the house a steady diet of mice, so i know they were getting the proper amount of meat they were created to consume :-P

Before Katrina and I started dating, I was over at her place with some friends.  I gave her cat some leftover cheesecake.  Made a friend for life.

*** g 12/11 p. 11 Does God Care About Animals? ***

Happily, the Bible describes the time when under God’s Kingdom rule, “the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah.” (Isaiah 11:9) Such knowledge will provide obedient humans with the education and training they need to manage the earth properly. The Creator’s influence will then ensure that harmony prevails between man and beast, thus restoring the conditions on earth that God originally purposed.

The Bible describes the transformation that will then take place, explaining: “The wolf will actually reside for a while with the male lamb, and with the kid the leopard itself will lie down, and the calf and the maned young lion and the well-fed animal all together; and a mere little boy will be leader over them. And the cow and the bear themselves will feed; together their young ones will lie down. And even the lion will eat straw just like the bull. And the sucking child will certainly play upon the hole of the cobra; and upon the light aperture of a poisonous snake will a weaned child actually put his own hand.” What a glorious prospect to contemplate!—Isaiah 11:6-8.

I boldfaced the important part.  The scripture says "for a while" and not "reside forever."  Besides, there are some aspects like this prophecy that we'll only understand fully once we get there.  Science indicates that some animals were designed to eat meat, while we have these scriptures that discuss animals eating straw.  Is it literal or symbolic?  Did man's fall from perfection actually influence the diet of animals?  Is science wrong?  These are questions I'm looking forward to finding the answer to.

"Science" also teaches evolution as truth, so they have no credibility as far as I'm concerned. 

Jehovah can accomplish anything, even things that science says are impossible. He is going to resurrect the dead! He can't change animals eating habits?

Edited by Musky

Just because cats eat meat does not mean they were created as aggressive killers .... carrion is still meat. Since animals were never intended to live forever, what was to be done with their carcases? If the only thing any living creature ate was vegetable, would that mean that all dead animals would have to lay around until the heat and air decomposes them?  ... without the help of animals or insects .... Insects? ... well, if animals are to be vegan, why not insects?

It just seems to me that some animals must have eaten meat before man did. I am not quoting science, just my own thinking.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We have a couple nice topics on this in the Interchange. I'll try to look them up so we don't derail this topic too much.

"Science" also teaches evolution as truth, so they have no credibility as far as I'm concerned. 

Jehovah can accomplish anything, even things that science says are impossible. He is going to resurrect the dead! He can't change animals eating habits?

Remove Taurine from a cat's diet = dead cat. That's credible enough for me.

And yes, he can certainly change eating habits and nutritional needs. His ways are higher than ours, so let's look with anticipation for what the future has in store.

Since animals were never intended to live forever, what was to be done with their carcases? If the only thing any living creature ate was vegetable, would that mean that all dead animals would have to lay around until the heat and air decomposes them?  ... without the help of animals or insects .... Insects? ... well, if animals are to be vegan, why not insects?

Good point. Decomposition results from even microscopic organisms eating the flesh. There is always something eating the flesh.