JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Internet speed

I know that the speed of internet connection is dependent upon many factors but I just did a speed check on mine and I get download speed of 88Mb and upload of 10Mb.  There is only 1 other residence in the local area with a faster connection (cable at 120Mb). 

I use BT Infinity which is fibreoptic as far as the local junction box, and through my phoneline from there.  I am quite pleased with it.

I was prompted to check as I downloaded a free music track from Linn Music in high resolution, a 64Mb file in just a few seconds.

What speeds do you get in USA and other countries, as well as others in the UK?

I have DSL and am running at a download speed of .64 Mbps and an upload speed of .28 Mbps. This is a fairly slow speed. It is adequate for what I do. I can download the Society's videos in a fair amount of time. eHow says that a fairly high-speed connection is 10 Mbps. South Korea's internet has a speed of 14.6 Mbps and is considered the fastest average connection. In the USA the average is right around 1.0 Mbps.

71Mb download and 17Mb upload. I'm with PlusNet UK. Costs £19 a month.

When I was with Virgin Media at my last house I had a 105Mb down 10Mb Up line, but to be honest PlusNet doesn't feel and slower, most websites have capped speeds anyway.

We use the internet extensively in this house, mostly streaming films for the kids from Netflix, I stream video from my IP cameras so I can monitor the house when are away. And plenty of YouTube.

We clock up near to 500gig useage every month.

Edited by Ross

3160612840.png

I am top tier Time Warner Cable. Sometimes it's blazing fast, and at other times not so much. I think it makes a difference what time of day it is and how many people are using Time Warner services in the area.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I pay $55/month for the 10.0 service through Time Warner.  I just ran a test and had an upload of 15.5mbps and a download of 1.12mbps.  Wow, it is even higher than what I'm paying for.  Then again, I know other people that pay $40 for the 10.0 service, so maybe they're giving me a bump for overcharging me.  For over a year I was paying $55/mo for the 10.0 service and was getting speeds of closer to 2.0 because our local node was running at peak capacity.  After a lot of wrangling, and an insider in the company that I kind of knew that helped me, we got an upgraded node and my speeds returned.  

Maybe I should just move to the UK.  Wow, look at those speeds!

Down on the left, up on the right. Got the figures on a home wi-fi. I think the actual internet access is on a fiber cable of some sort. Can't even remember the supposed connection speed. But quite good value for money this--costing me SEK 249 a month. So what's that then...GBP 21, EUR 29?

Edit: Err...can't seemingly even attach a picture :rolleyes:

Edited by LoneWanderer

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29