JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3658 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Count me among the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 users. I love it. The 2014 Edition seems to be a step backwards to me but I don't really have a lot of experience with it. They are working on a version with a 12.2 inch screen and I just might have to get that one.

My husband and I were waiting to check out the 12.2 inch screen as well.  A brother at our hall though works for Sony, and Sony has one coming out that is 11.3 and waterproof and it's gonna be about 100 cheaper then the Samsung 12.2.  So, we may look into that one as well.

Just wanted to pass the info to you, not sure if you like Sony Products or not.

Just wanted to pass the info to you, not sure if you like Sony Products or not.

Thanks Ava! I'll keep my eye out for it. These completely waterproof products are intriguing, especially since I work around water.

The thing I love about Samsung's Note series is the S Pen. The digital pen is more accurate and easier to use than a regular stylus, and I use my tablet not only for meetings, but also for work - drawing floor plans and jotting down measurements. The pen has allowed me to go almost entirely paperless.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I was thinking of the Galaxy Note10.1 2014 and have a question for those who have it, or the Note 8.

Is it correct that not all apps will run in the split window?

Will the WT Library, iSilo, or Moon Reader run in the split window?

I like the idea of having one of the above open in one window, while having a notepad open in the other. I think it would be a good study tablet. But, if it can't, then I'll stick with my Nexus 7.

I was thinking of the Galaxy Note10.1 2014 and have a question for those who have it, or the Note 8.

Is it correct that not all apps will run in the split window?

Will the WT Library, iSilo, or Moon Reader run in the split window?

I like the idea of having one of the above open in one window, while having a notepad open in the other. I think it would be a good study tablet. But, if it can't, then I'll stick with my Nexus 7.

The way it is when it comes from the store doesn't allow to use all the app 's in split window (but it's up to the developer of the app to allow this and the list is growing every day)

Any way you can install some modifications afterwards to allow every app

Ex.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bjbinc.mwmphone

The way it is when it comes from the store doesn't allow to use all the app 's in split window (but it's up to the developer of the app to allow this and the list is growing every day)

Any way you can install some modifications afterwards to allow every app

Ex.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bjbinc.mwmphone

Thanks. It's difficult to know what apps support multi window. Moon+ Reader, for example, doesn't mention anything about multi window compatibility but someone on another site says that it will work.

Do those Brothers and Sisters who have a Galaxy Note, with the multi window capability, actually use that feature? If so, what apps do you use?

Edited by niall

My daughter has the Note and she uses the multi-window feature at the meetings. She is already at work so I will ask her later what apps she uses and post .... but it will have to wait till I get home from work and can ask her.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Thanks. It's difficult to know what apps support multi window. Moon+ Reader, for example, doesn't mention anything about multi window compatibility but someone on another site says that it will work.

Do those Brothers and Sisters who have a Galaxy Note, with the multi window capability, actually use that feature? If so, what apps do you use?

I have the Galaxy note 10.1 and I have "multi-window" capability and a surprising number of apps are compatible with it. But, It is so easy and fast to switch between apps that I haven't found the need for muilti-windows. During the WT study at the meeting, I can switch between Mantano and the new Bible with one tap, and then back again.

Maybe some day I'll find a use for the multi-window feature. :)

If you were doing 2 languages you'd use 2 windows. That's how I do mine - one with iSilo and the Watchtower and the other with my Viet Watchtower in a PDF.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I have the Galaxy note 10.1 and I have "multi-window" capability and a surprising number of apps are compatible with it. But, It is so easy and fast to switch between apps that I haven't found the need for muilti-windows. During the WT study at the meeting, I can switch between Mantano and the new Bible with one tap, and then back again.

Maybe some day I'll find a use for the multi-window feature. :)

That's good to know, thanks.

If you were doing 2 languages you'd use 2 windows. That's how I do mine - one with iSilo and the Watchtower and the other with my Viet Watchtower in a PDF.

So iSolo will work with multi window. Will the JW Library app work with with it?

To me it sounds like you're all speaking a foreign language!! :blink:

I'm reading this thread because I want to buy a tablet for use in the ministry, to use the new Bible app, for accessing internet and no doubt for doing a whole host of others things which it will let me do once I discover them. (Probably to substitue my computer whenever possible - if that's possible!)

However, I know practically nothing about tablets!! I haven't even got a smart phone - only one of those old-fashioned things that lets you make phone calls and send sms's.

I've read here that many of you recommend a Samsung Galaxy 10, but when I looked them up on Amazon and on eBay I discovered that there's a whole other string of letters or numbers after the "10", plus a huge range in prices!! I'm totally confused!!!! Can anyone offer me a kind of "tablet tutorial"? For example, what's the difference between the 10.1, the 10.2 and the 10.3? What about a galaxy note? Why the vast difference in the prices - ranging from just under €300 to over €1,200?

I like the sound of the stylus. Do they all have one? What are the advantages of a Samsung Galaxy over a Nexus, or vice versa? Most of the time, up in the mountains where I live, I won't have access to wi-fi so I believe I'll need a kind of sim card. Do they all have that option or is there something I need to look for in the description that tells me that the tablet has this?

Anything else I should know??

Thank you for your patience in replying! :)

Use your ears to gain understanding and your tongue to heal. -w13 5/15 p. 22

This is the latest Samsung Galaxy Tab -> http://amzn.to/1dUcErN

It is a nice tablet. However, it lacks the multi-window feature and the S Pen. The multi-window feature is overrated and not that important. However, the S Pen is a digital pen and works MUCH better than a stylus. If you want to be able to hand write notes on your tablet, I would recommend a Galaxy Note over a Galaxy Tab. If you don't care, this tablet would be good for you.

This is the latest Samsung Galaxy Note -> http://amzn.to/1dUdiWh

I have the previous model, and it is an awesome tablet. The Pen is built in, very responsive, etc. I use it to hand write notes at Assemblies as well as for drawing floor plans at work. 

There are models with a SIM card slot. I know Verizon sells one, but I'm sure they can be found elsewhere.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

This is the latest Samsung Galaxy Tab -> http://amzn.to/1dUcErN

It is a nice tablet. However, it lacks the multi-window feature and the S Pen. The multi-window feature is overrated and not that important. However, the S Pen is a digital pen and works MUCH better than a stylus. If you want to be able to hand write notes on your tablet, I would recommend a Galaxy Note over a Galaxy Tab. If you don't care, this tablet would be good for you.

This is the latest Samsung Galaxy Note -> http://amzn.to/1dUdiWh

I have the previous model, and it is an awesome tablet. The Pen is built in, very responsive, etc. I use it to hand write notes at Assemblies as well as for drawing floor plans at work. 

There are models with a SIM card slot. I know Verizon sells one, but I'm sure they can be found elsewhere.

Thanks Bob for the help. You said that you already have 10" one, I can't remember if you said Tab or Notebook, anyway why would you get another one that is 12"? Are you thinking the bigger size would help you more with note taking?

Please explain the difference between the Tablet and the Notebook. 

Also what is Isilo?

Thanks for the help.

To me it sounds like you're all speaking a foreign language!! :blink:

I'm reading this thread because I want to buy a tablet for use in the ministry, to use the new Bible app, for accessing internet and no doubt for doing a whole host of others things which it will let me do once I discover them. (Probably to substitue my computer whenever possible - if that's possible!)

However, I know practically nothing about tablets!! I haven't even got a smart phone - only one of those old-fashioned things that lets you make phone calls and send sms's.

I've read here that many of you recommend a Samsung Galaxy 10, but when I looked them up on Amazon and on eBay I discovered that there's a whole other string of letters or numbers after the "10", plus a huge range in prices!! I'm totally confused!!!! Can anyone offer me a kind of "tablet tutorial"? For example, what's the difference between the 10.1, the 10.2 and the 10.3? What about a galaxy note? Why the vast difference in the prices - ranging from just under €300 to over €1,200?

I like the sound of the stylus. Do they all have one? What are the advantages of a Samsung Galaxy over a Nexus, or vice versa? Most of the time, up in the mountains where I live, I won't have access to wi-fi so I believe I'll need a kind of sim card. Do they all have that option or is there something I need to look for in the description that tells me that the tablet has this?

Anything else I should know??

Thank you for your patience in replying! :)

Linda, for the sake of "simplicity",  and great theocratic apps  - (the learning curve might not be as complex)  - you may want to see all of your options   ... http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/13398-apple-ipad-apps/

That's good to know, thanks.

So iSolo will work with multi window. Will the JW Library app work with with it?

Yes.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I also have a side question to this thread. I have a Nexus 7 and want to know if there is any way to add annotations and highlight text in the books/magazines etc. I can read them on JW.org and open PDF's, but I don't know how to edit them, or even if they can. Anyone have this kind of tablet and know what I'm talking about?

I also have a side question to this thread. I have a Nexus 7 and want to know if there is any way to add annotations and highlight text in the books/magazines etc. I can read them on JW.org and open PDF's, but I don't know how to edit them, or even if they can. Anyone have this kind of tablet and know what I'm talking about?

I don't know for sure but I see it is and android 4.3  jellybean, so I suspect it would run the ezpdf reader app for pdf files or moon reader app for epub file. There is also Mantano reader. You really need one of these apps to do the annotations and highlighting/underlining. The thing is however, the pdf or epub files have to be downloaded to your tablet.

Edited by lynn

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I don't know for sure but I see it is and android 4.3  jellybean, so I suspect it would run the ezpdf reader app for pdf files or moon reader app for epub file. There is also Mantano reader. You really need one of these apps to do the annotations and highlighting/underlining. The thing is however, the pdf or epub files have to be downloaded to your tablet.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try those.

I currently use a Nexus 7 (2014) and can vouch for Moon+ Reader for epub files. I've tried several others and Moon+ is the one I settled with. I like that it pops up the linked Scriptures and footnotes. 

As far as pdf files go, I don't use them much any more unless there is no epub version. Moon+ will display pdf files, but I found that ezPDF Reader renders the pages much faster.