JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hi all, can a vizo smart tv hooked up to the internet get jw broadcast without a roku?

I'm not at all, knowledgeable about streaming. Please help me understand if I need to buy a roku. And is it just a streaming device? Or is it useful for doing other things?

Thanks in advance.

Yes - use your browser on the smart tv and go to tv.jw.org

No - you do not need a ROKU device. It is just a media player (granted it helps organize your stuff, but just a player).

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

When your part of the Borg collective you have access to the specs of everything. Unfortunately, I am not so connected. :wink: . I thought all smart TVs had browsers. I mean isn't that inherent in the definition of "smart". But I guess not! Thanks bro.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I know that a Nexus tablet has a micro port on the opposite side of the tablet from the charging port (not sure all tablets can do what the Nexus does in hooking directly to your television). It's that tiny micro port you use when you hook to your t.v. I went to Wal-mart and got a cord with the HDMI on one end and it had a micro plug-in on the other and that's all it took for me to watch tv.jw.org!

I have a Samsung tablet that I stream with my Chromecast when watching netflix. I'd like to stream JW TV but don't really want to go buy another streaming device. Will Chromecast work? I haven't had time to test it out yet. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

When your part of the Borg collective you have access to the specs of everything. Unfortunately, I am not so connected. :wink: . I thought all smart TVs had browsers. I mean isn't that inherent in the definition of "smart". But I guess not! Thanks bro.

Jerry, just ignore the members that don't understand the concept of a discussion forum and prefer to take everything personal and lobby for others to do the same. :)

Vizio likes to sell their own Roku-like box that includes the Chrome web browser, but this is separate from their TV's. I said that "MOST" Vizio TV's do not have web browsers, but I believe two of them do, but that is a small minority of all the models they offer. While helping many friends access JW Broadcasting, I have found every Vizio that I have dealt with has not had a web browser, including their newest 80" model. One sister returned her TV to Costco because of this. Very frustrating. 

Well you know, some people can dye their hair but the roots will always be blonde. Sure glad a chrome dome like myself don't have that problem. Just the other day I was at Costco and finding out much of this same stuff about web browsers and smart tv's. I like the Samsung myself but they are costly in comparison to Vizio but then one gets what they pay for or in this case don't get what they would like to get for less.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Unfortunately most Vizio smart TV's do not have a Web browser, so you will need a Roku device.

Yes Musky, you are right, it doesn't have a web browser. So it's not a smart TV after all.

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

I have a Samsung tablet that I stream with my Chromecast when watching netflix. I'd like to stream JW TV but don't really want to go buy another streaming device. Will Chromecast work? I haven't had time to test it out yet. 

Yes, Chromecast can be used to stream tv.jw.org videos to your TV. Obviously, you have to have the Chromecast dongle already plugged into an HDMI port on your TV.

Then, what I do from my Galaxy Note 12.2, is navigate to tv.jw.org using my Chrome browser. After clicking the video and it starting to play, I can tap the Chromecast icon on the video player to send it to my TV.

Other browsers besides Chrome may support Chromecast also, for example, Firefox.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!