JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My husband bought one. He installed it upstairs on the smart tv. Went like clock work. Now downstairs, another story. Not a smart tv. But, eventually, he did it. We almost had to buy a new smart tv for downstairs. Both are flat screens. HD, I think. It is just a process. But, I know it is possible.

He is not as good at the computer thing, but this other stuff, he manages, way better then me. If I am fortunate, he manages when I am not at home!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

A ROKU is a streaming device that you can view things like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. on. It will work with HDTV's and you need internet (wifi or ethernet cable) to use it. You DO NOT need a smart TV. We got our first ROKU in 2008 and really love them. The user interface is very easy to use and and is stable and fast. I've seen ROKU 2's for as cheap as $39.99 lately which is a great deal! If you have any more questions I'm happy to help. :)

Edited by UpstateKate

And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.

A ROKU is a streaming device that you can view things like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. on. It will work with HDTV's and you need internet (wifi or ethernet cable) to use it. You DO NOT need a smart TV. We got our first ROKU in 2008 and really love them. The user interface is very easy to use and and is stable and fast. I've seen ROKU 2's for as cheap as $39.99 lately which is a great deal! If you have any more questions I'm happy to help. :)

Thank you for your input on this ROKU.   They have a ROKU 3 out, now is this any good? The price on the 3 is $99.99 ($100.00), and you've seen cheaper?  I went on line to Best Buy, and they have various ROKU'S, Roku 3, which has HD1, Roku 2,and plain Roku.   Not sure which one to purchase, I have internet high speed but its DSL, cause Comcast is to rich for my wallet.  Verizon provides my internet service.   A brother purchased one of those antenna's that stick on your window, it looks like a butterfly.  Do you think this is okay for reception.  I live in area where there are trees in front of my home, and a shopping center, several shopping centers, and a mall about 20 minutes away.  Or can you suggest something (antenna wise) stronger to receive reception?  I saw a video on You Tube, where this woman had a flat antenna on her bookshelf, a modem, and the Roku.  Am not sure if it was the new model 3 or just a regular one.  She had like 4 remotes!   YIKES!  I can only hand one or 2, but 4??   Anyway, your suggestions are appreciated. 

You won't need an antenna for the ROKU. The video is carried over your internet connection. DSL should be fine though videos may take a bit longer to load. The ROKU 2 will do everything you need it to and will save you some money over the ROKU 3. Don't worry about the ROKU remote. It's very small, doesn't have many buttons on it and is really easy to use. Here is a link for a ROKU 2 HD for $39.95...http://www.amazon.com/Roku-Streaming-Player-Manufacturer-Refurbished/dp/B00FO12XY6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1390276916&sr=8-9&keywords=Roku+2

My apologies, the link above is for the ROKU HD, not the ROKU 2 HD. It's still a bargain and will play HD video. Here is a link to a comparison of all the different models. They have that price at Best Buy too if you were looking to buy one locally.

http://support.roku.com/entries/20345913-Product-Comparison-All-Roku-Player-Models

My husband bought one. He installed it upstairs on the smart tv. Went like clock work. Now downstairs, another story. Not a smart tv. But, eventually, he did it. We almost had to buy a new smart tv for downstairs. Both are flat screens. HD, I think. It is just a process. But, I know it is possible.

He is not as good at the computer thing, but this other stuff, he manages, way better then me. If I am fortunate, he manages when I am not at home!

Don't smart TV's already come with pretty much the same apps on them that Roku would give you access too? Just wondering. Seems like you wouldn't gain much by installing a Roku on a smart TV. Then again, I have a dumb TV, so maybe I'm way off.

• 9 months later...

Help please. Bought a ROKU 3 recently (Bournemouth, England) very excited, looking forward to streaming JW Broadcasting to HD TV. However, linked it all up as instructed to internet, both wired and wireless, roku would not link to either. My router is a Virgin Media Super Hub and works fine with my pc and all other mobile devices. I get error codes 13 and 14. Other googled forums give all sorts of possible ways round it but no joy yet. I cannot update the roku software until I get an internet connection. Stuck at the moment. Don't know whether to try to get money back or persevere. Would appreciate any suggestions.

It doesn't work without an internet connection. It is just a media player.

Are you saying, you have an internet connection at the house, but you can't connect to it?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I get error codes 13 and 14.

I've had to fix two Roku 3 boxes with that error in the past week, and here's the instructions that got me through both:

On your Roku remote:
Press the Home button 5 times.
Press the Fast Forward button 3 times.
Press Rewind button 2 times.
Select the option to update software.
The Roku player should now restart automatically.

After rebooting:
On your Roku remote:
Press the Home button 5 times.
Press the Fast Forward button 1 time.
Press the Play button 1 time.
Press the Rewind button 1 time.
Press the Play button 1 time.
Press the Fast Forward button 1 time.
Select the option to disable network ping.

Hi Stavro. Tried your suggestions. Sadly did not work. Got to the update software screen but result still the same - "cannot connect to your local network". Router ok as ipad working and roku remote. Went Virgin media and removed restrictions to any site. Also temporarily removed anti virus software. Tried again but no joy. I noticed on the second secret roku screen that the roku's IP address is 0.0.0.0 which I read somewhere is a problem. But don't know how it can be changed. Also this second screen did not give an option to disable network ping, probably because I could not update the roku software. I have also tried reset button but no joy.

Anymore ideas? Thanks John

I bought a LG Blue-ray player with wireless and it doesn't even detect my wireless router, so I just ran an Ethernet cable to it from my router. Try that with your Roku.

Now a question about Roku - What can you watch on it that you can't get with standard internet ( other than JW Broadcast app for Roku )?

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

It's not so much that you can get things on the Roku that you cannot get with the use of a browser and the correct website address .... but, do you know all the website addresses of all the streaming sites available?

That is what the Roku offers .... many, many, many, many streaming sites all accessible through an easy to use graphical interface.

And, since the Roku and similar devices have gotten so popular, many of these streaming sites make their content available along with a logo'd app that can be loaded easily through the Roku (or similar device) store.

To watch the tv.jw.org site on the Roku you simply add the JW Broadcasting icon to the main screen, then click on it to go there - it is all "point-and-click" with the remote - no typing needed.

Since many of the "Internet ready" devices are aimed at sites like NetFlix, Hulu and such, they do not have actual Browsers where you can type in the web address to go to a streaming site.

A device like Roku, AppleTV, and ChromeCast make it so you can not only get these streaming sites on your TV, it is easy to do so ... once you get the device to work - in my case, setup was simple and worked the first time.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Hi brothers. Thanks for help. I have both a direct wired Ethernet cable to roku and a wireless router. I also have an lg blue ray player that is wired to router which works fine. It has a few apps but no proper browser facility. I notice the modern ones have. If I cannot solve the roku problem I may upgrade my blue ray player to one that has full browser then will be able to load TV.jw.org. Does anyone use a blue ray player to watch jw broadcasting? My wife and I just want to watch it on our hd tv without having to wire up the laptop to achieve it. (Getting too old for constantly plugging in wires in difficult to reach places). Fruits of the spirit are being tested to the limit. All good training hey! John

Hi brothers. Thanks for help. I have both a direct wired Ethernet cable to roku and a wireless router. I also have an lg blue ray player that is wired to router which works fine. It has a few apps but no proper browser facility. I notice the modern ones have. If I cannot solve the roku problem I may upgrade my blue ray player to one that has full browser then will be able to load TV.jw.org. Does anyone use a blue ray player to watch jw broadcasting? My wife and I just want to watch it on our hd tv without having to wire up the laptop to achieve it. (Getting too old for constantly plugging in wires in difficult to reach places). Fruits of the spirit are being tested to the limit. All good training hey! John

Not to be "that guy", but have you tried contacting Roku Support? http://support.roku.co.uk/entries/20826051-contact-support

Hi. Good news, I have got the Roku 3 going. I followed Staro's secret menus but did it on a different network that I knew worked with roku. It got me going as it connected ok to update the software and disable the pings. I then brought roku home and was able to finish off the setup ok. Roku support did not help with my problem. I got the idea of using an alternative network from the Virgin Media forum. Hope this helps with others that have problems with Virgin Media super hub 2. Very pleased wth Roku 3 now it's woking. Smooth hd streaming for jw broadcasting and bbc Iplayer. Also great iPad app for remote control.

Hi all, can a vizo smart tv hooked up to the internet get jw broadcast without a roku?

I'm not at all, knowledgeable about streaming. Please help me understand if I need to buy a roku. And is it just a streaming device? Or is it useful for doing other things?

Thanks in advance.

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

I have a Nexus 10 tablet that hooks directly to my television set via an HDMI/Micro cable! Whatever is on my tablet is now on my T.v. for just the cost of a cable (about 5 or 10 bucks) and the picture is fantastic! Whatever my tablet can stream I can watch on my t.v., I can even view this forum and interact with it while watching it on my t.v.!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I have a Nexus 10 tablet that hooks directly to my television set via an HDMI/Micro cable! Whatever is on my tablet is now on my T.v. for just the cost of a cable (about 5 or 10 bucks) and the picture is fantastic! Whatever my tablet can stream I can watch on my t.v., I can even view this forum and interact with it while watching it on my t.v.!

Cool, really cool. I have done that with a tablet through you tube, but not with a hdmi cord. I will have to purchase a micro hdmi card. I have never heard of them, where could it be purchased?

Thanks

Edited by loving life

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

I know that a Nexus tablet has a micro port on the opposite side of the tablet from the charging port (not sure all tablets can do what the Nexus does in hooking directly to your television). It's that tiny micro port you use when you hook to your t.v. I went to Wal-mart and got a cord with the HDMI on one end and it had a micro plug-in on the other and that's all it took for me to watch tv.jw.org!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D