JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Torrents are simply a form of downloading. Someone may for example wish to share a file via a torrent download. However caution must be exercised. Torrents are popular among media pirates. And piracy is a crime.

It may seem a small thing, but in reality its a form of theft to download something from a source that is not liscened to distribute it.

Remember the principle of Luke 16:10 - Faithful in least, faithful in most.

We would not want to download something via a torrent that we would otherwise have to pay for, or even if its not from the official source.

For example films can be downloaded through torrents for free. But usually one would either have to buy a hard copy or buy a download through a source like itunes or another liscened source (e.g. Netflix).

But also for things we don't have to pay for, take for example the society video "The Wonders of Creation

Reveal God's Glory". We don't have to pay for it, it is made available free of charge. So it might seem combined to download a torrent someone might upload. However this would be illegal. Unless the uploader was liscened to do that (which is highly unlikely) then it is illegal to download it, even though no one is losing out financially. We would only be Abe to legally obtain it through liscened sources such as ordering it through the society or if it was made available for download on JW.ORG.

Does that make sense?

Also correct me someone if I am at all mistaken.

Torrent files are often used by some companies and organizations to help offset their costs of downloading a large file, such as a PC operating system update, or even as a way of securely transferring personal files over the internet without going through the hassle of setting up an insecure server or paying a hosting company.

However, since the Bible says nothing about any particular method of acquiring goods or information that we are otherwise legally authorized by the owner to receive, I expect you're talking about torrent files as a means to commit illegal copyright infringement.

*** w10 6/1 p. 14 Is It Really Dishonest? ***
Theft That Is “Invisible”
  Your friend has purchased the latest edition of a computer program, and you would like to have it. He offers to save you money by making you a copy of the software. Is that dishonest?
  When users buy computer software, they agree to abide by the limits spelled out in the licensing agreement for that program. The license may allow the purchaser to install and use the program on only one computer. In that case, copying the software for someone else breaks the licensing agreement and is illegal. (Romans 13:4) Such copying is also stealing, for it deprives the copyright holder of income that he has a right to receive.—Ephesians 4:28.
  Some may reason, ‘No one will ever know.’ Be that as it may, we should remember Jesus’ words: “All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must likewise do to them.” (Matthew 7:12) All of us appreciate fair payment for our work and desire that others treat our property with respect. We should, therefore, extend the same consideration to others. We avoid “invisible” thievery, such as taking intellectual property* that does not belong to us.—Exodus 22:7-9.
[Footnote]
Intellectual property includes such copyrighted material as music, books, or software, whether it is printed on paper or stored electronically. Trademarks, patents, trade secrets, and publicity rights also fall into this category.

One danger of downloading by means of torrents is Computer Viruses, which are very rampant in a lot of files downloaded this way. I hear and have seen this happen - numerous times.

Personally, unless it is from a site you trust such as Microsoft, Apple, etc. then stay away from torrents - you may lose everything on your computer

- especially documents, pictures and videos, even your operating system.

These viruses can even destroy your backup copies of your hard drive partition and make you unable to backup to that partition again.

I have worked on hundreds of computers over past several years and restoring a corrupted system may involve a new hard drive ( not usually ), thus why take the chance.

This is in addition to what others have stated

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I use them all the time. No problems. More and more software is using these to distribute their files. Unix / Linux is big into using torrents to distribute through.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Someone just gave me a copy of this game and I know he got it from torrents. I am so confused whether to take it or not because I have searched for legal download but to no avail. please advice me

It's wrong to download for free things You would actually have to buy. I now get the seriousness of it. One last question remains: what about the numerous things I have already downloaded to my pc via torrent?

It's wrong to download for free things You would actually have to buy. I now get the seriousness of it. One last question remains: what about the numerous things I have already downloaded to my pc via torrent?

Only you can answer that question - you know what you have installed and - we do not.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

So do I delete them all

Go with your Bible trained conscience on this one. What is it telling you is the RIGHT thing to do? Then "go do the right thing."

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Well torrents are not banned in my country. There is a video game I wish to download and it's available via torrent. I am not quite sure if I am wrong.

Downloading copyrighted works without the authorization of the publisher is indeed illegal in Ghana, as well as a violation of numerous international copyright laws and treaties.

http://www.copyright.gov.gh/activities/anti-piracy-exercises

If the software is not available for free download from the publisher or reputable authorized source, then any "free" download will be illegal copyright infringement.

One last question remains: what about the numerous things I have already downloaded to my pc via torrent?

From a scriptural standpoint, Galatians 6:5, "Each one will carry his own load."

From a practical standpoint, downloads from sketchy sources often have some hidden extras that can do some very unpleasant things to your computer, regardless of their legality. I'd personally recommend wiping all the programs and running a series of antivirus scans, then changing all your passwords and any bank account numbers you might have used to order anything from the internet. Not necessarily for any legal or scriptural reason, but to lower the chance of the hacker who altered and shared the original software from gaining your information and committing identity theft.

I believe here in Canada torrents are a grey area. 

Having said that we did have an article maybe 3+ yrs ago on this very thing.  At the time I was heavily into downloading.  Back in the day something similar was taping records onto cassette tapes.  Of course, I bought the records so really didnt see an issue with tranferring it to another type of media.

Torrents are a little different. 

• 1 month later...

So let's say I buy a game DVD. how do I share with others without breaking laws

You do not.

You can have them over to the house and let them play the game on your system. Or, you can give or sell the game to them. You cannot make copies.

Torrents are peer to peer downloads,usually stored on an internet server,download speeds depend on how many are downloading. & sharing,like harp man I"ve used them in the distant past,they"re normally used by people to pirate( illegally copy) movies that are at the cinema,software- mostly Microsoft or Adobe ,or in some instances games software,downloading movies & software is mostly illegal,as it breaches copyright,software is usually provided with a licence key code which is unique to each copy,there were some free software available,but I"m not sure now,best way is to avoid these sites,as already said if you have done so in the past in ignorance,then it"s up to your conscience what you decide to do with the software now

• 5 months later...

Downloading copyrighted works without the authorization of the publisher is indeed illegal in Ghana, as well as a violation of numerous international copyright laws and treaties.

http://www.copyright.gov.gh/activities/anti-piracy-exercises

If the software is not available for free download from the publisher or reputable authorized source, then any "free" download will be illegal copyright infringement.

From a scriptural standpoint, Galatians 6:5, "Each one will carry his own load."

From a practical standpoint, downloads from sketchy sources often have some hidden extras that can do some very unpleasant things to your computer, regardless of their legality. I'd personally recommend wiping all the programs and running a series of antivirus scans, then changing all your passwords and any bank account numbers you might have used to order anything from the internet. Not necessarily for any legal or scriptural reason, but to lower the chance of the hacker who altered and shared the original software from gaining your information and committing identity theft.

I really love how the brothers here help us inexperienced ones to make decisions instead of deciding for us. I was wondering if it is wrong in a situation whereby downloading of copyrighted material for PERSONAL USE only is legal according to the laws of the country. For example canada, Switzerland, Netherlands allow copyrighted materials to be downloaded and in Ghana here, you can download music from promotional sites for your personal use. And if i understand english well ( yes, dont be surprised. English aint my first language. :D), it seems only downloading for commercial gains is illegal according to the link you posted as it referred to permitted uses in case of those for personal use. Please i am not trying to be stubborn. I am very confused.

I don't like Torrent web sites because a bad one can put your computer at risk.

I used Torrents before and I felt as if I was pirating ex:(downloading or paying music and games online free,when you are supposed to pay for the product online on a legit site).

I felt bad so never used another Torrent. However there are other better legit ways to use them, it's just not for me personally.

Edited by cj24