JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New Jehovah's Witness Rap Album soon to be released

I am not comfortable with this kind of putting Jehovah's Songs into debased music......sorry....

*** km 3/05 p. 3 Announcements ***
▪ A number of publishers have telephoned the branch office regarding certain recordings of Kingdom songs sung in a popular style that are presently being circulated among Jehovah’s Witnesses. They wonder if these recordings have the organization’s approval. We are aware of these recordings and would like to inform you that they do not have our approval. Please do not circulate or download these recordings from the Internet. We trust this information will clarify matters.

Dear brothers and sisters, this is the first time that I have heard of anybody copying kingdom songs and putting them into popular music.

As previously mentioned I have not copied any kingdom songs as this is all original matrial and has absolute no affiliation with the society and no mention of Jehovah's witnesses anywhere.

I hope that clarafys the matter.

May you all have peace. Eddie T

Dont get me started on poetry brother eddie...

" they floated hither and thither on puffy white clouds above the flotsome and jetsome of life" etc etc ... Nonsense i tell ye nonsense! :-)

Dear brothers,

I don't recall Hitler singing or rapping for that matter, Jehovah's high standards and Jehovah's Christian values for all not just for his people. Did you not see the Purple Triangle video? Lol

So yes I agree, using such an example in the context that you have is nonsense.

But yet again! Those for, and those against.

Everlasting peace to you my brother. :-)

I hope you are joking! Witness hip Hop Please!

Sorry. Cringe time. I cannot imagine such a thing. It's like dressing something up that I really ugly, and, saying, " now, isn't this wonderful?" With Jehovah's name on it.

But, you say, "it's the beat". And that is what I am saying.

When we get kingdom songs with a hip hop beat from the organization...don't think so.

I love music, love to dance, and, well. It just doesn't sound good to me. At all.

And, if you are putting us on, sorry for my taking it serious!

Somehow this just doesn't seem right, especially the itune access. There are many "Christian" groups with "Christian" music out there and I hate to think of us as part of them.

I would have to disagree with you on this ...I would be more inclined to say that the problem with rap music (using the term"music"  begrudgingly) is that, not only are the lyrics bad, the so-called music is just as bad.

To me there is no such thing as good rap! Since I do not like the "music", I never get to the words before I tune it out or turn it off.

I'd like to give you some counsel if you would accept it. I'm sure you are sincere and you are very talented and have worked hard on what you have produced. It would appear from your comments that you feel the elders and pioneers in your congregation have given you approval. It is not so much the music as the life-style that goes along with hip-hop music that is the problem. The brothers have pointed this out in the publications:

W 99 9/1 p.10

G 04 4/22 p. 26

G 95 1/22 p. 19

It would be wise and loving not to discuss, disseminate, or distribute this kind of thing at the Kingdom Hall or on a forum such as this. Remember the little boy with his hat turned backward on the tract? That was innocent enough, but the brothers saw fit to edit the picture because it was connected with something bad.

Hi Eddie..I like the idea of trying to help young ones .... I read some of the articles in the Publication Indexes...I think the main objection is describing your album using the words "rap and hip hop".. I feel that is classifying your music with Satan's music..designed to corrupt the spirituality of youth in general..I admit the rap rythum is addictive...so why can't you invent your own music..perhaps calling it "True and prophetic Rythum"..designed to stimulate study and meditation of life's challenges..and free us from falsehood!

The other problem could be that a youth who listens to worldly rap probably has a rebellious streak..maybe even his or her clothing choices reflect this..Would these youth see the need to conform to Jehovah's standards? Jehovah draws his sheeplike ones by means of his holy spirit...He uses the Faithful Slave to dispense the food needed to fill this need. There are many things to consider here..have you written the Society to ask their opinion on this? Considering you are releasing this to anyone around the world who has access to the internet..that is also a reasonable consideration!

Hi...

My 5 pence worth.

Im not a fan of rap but thats irrelevant really... Iv been in bands for 30 something years... Out in the world and more recently in the truth. Classic rock and blues is my thing.

I... And its just my personal opinion dont like the thought of mixing whatever type of music... Rap rock blues country whatever and Jehovahs great name.... Im not saying its wrong but its a definate wrong for me.

Wether its rap or whatever is irrelevant to me... Obviously all genres of music jazz blues rock and rap can and have questionable subject mater... Some very early blues are very sexual in content but i think things should be kept seperate.

Jehovah has provided the songs of praise which i enjoy some of .. But I just enjoy my other music conscience permitting away from the congregation.

Christian love

gu

Wow, right from the beginning it seems that many of you friends have got a good handle on this one thread wonder, I tend to agree with your sound reasoning.

Edited by timpin

I'm not entirely against the idea of a JW rap album, it sounds like an interesting idea. Many of you are thinking of the culture of gangsta rap that started in the 90's that glorified violence and bad behavior in general because it was happening (dumb reasoning, I know). But for some reason that type of rap because mainstream synonymous with rap, which isn't right. Before gangsta rap was invented, there were quite a few songs that weren't about violence and bad thing and just about having fun, partying, and were about the poverty, drug use and everything else that was happening in neighborhoods at the time. And most of them were clean. A few good examples are:

It's an anti-drug rap song by a mainstream band with no curse words

I think everyone knows The Message.

There's more examples out there with "golden age hip hop", but I think two are good enough.

Also, anybody remember when Will Smith made hip hop music as The Fresh Prince? His songs were the opposite of gangsta rap too and they were clean (at least the ones I know). There's even a quote out there that are along the lines of "Will Smith didn't have to curse to sell records!" and I think Eminem even parodied that phrase in one of his songs by saying "I do" or something like that. So to say all rap is bad and basically gangsta rap is like saying all country is about loosing a spouse and/or drinking.

The thing that gets me though is that there is a genre known as Christian rap (a lot like Christian metal) so to have an JW rap album wouldn't make it too different from those groups/artists in that genre, and that doesn't seem right. I'm still interested though. I wish the best to you with your album brother Eddie :) I'd love to have a listen one day (I don;t have iTunes, unfortunately, though).

Dear sister Jaydon thank you for your comforting words and sound reasoning and videos. As you can see that there are a number of brothers and sisters that just can not let go of the sterotype of rap. The sterotype is a lot easier to deal with and more comfortable for them to keep it labelled in its little box. Even in the truth and today's society Sterotypes are very much alive and well And no matter how much you try to get people to open their minds to something different which is out of their comfort zone then the mind becomes closed. Also no matter how positive the message maybe and how Christian it maybe their mind is already closed. Black is black and white is white. It's such a shame that we preach to people hoping to get them to open their mind to the truth which is very much out of their comfort zone, different and uncomfortable but yet so many out their in the truth cant do the same even when it's a Christian message glorify gods high values. The album will also be available on, Spotify, Amazon mp3, Google Play, Rdio, Deezer, Xbox music, Rhapsody, E music, Muve music, My space music, Ihart Radio, Meadia Net, verve Life, Sony music unlimited, Shazam, 7 digital, Juke, JB HiFi, Slaker, Bloom, Guvera, Akazoo and you can get a copy a physical copy from my website. One of the songs will also be played on various internet radios stations from the release date one of which is "Radio Airplay" hope this helps. May you all have peace. Eddie T

Dear sister Samria who are we to say what Jehovah is listening to. That is not for me to say, that is not for me to judge. There is only one Judge.........Jehovah.

May to have peace. Eddie T

Wt. 2012 8/11 "Will you make wise choices?" (this article is about music in general)

What message does the music convey? 
In each genre of music there are songs that, either subtly or openly, approve of or even promote behavior that violates wholesome values, such as Bible principles. It is the song choice that matters. 

How does the music affect my feelings? 
“Safeguard your heart, for out of it are the sources of life.” (Proverbs 4:23) Your choice of music is more than just a window into your mind and heart revealing facets of the inner person. It can influence your mind and heart. “Listening to some types of music made me angry and aggressive,” 

Will the music influence my values? 
 “Hate what is bad, and love what is good,” says Amos 5:15. Nowadays, that is a challenge, for true to Bible prophecy, people in general are “lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, . . . lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God.” (2 Timothy 3:1-4) Hence, verse 5 says: “From these turn away.” Obviously, you need to do more than just stay away from them in person. You must also reject products that reflect their godless ways. (Ephesians 4:25, 29, 31) But will that unduly limit your choice in music? Not at all!

Broaden Your Tastes
In many families, parents and teens enjoy exploring each other’s musical worlds. Says Lena, “My 13-year-old daughter introduced me to her favorite music, and now I like listening to it.” Heather, who is 16, and her parents enjoy each other’s music and regularly swap CDs.
Worldwide, millions of Jehovah’s Witnesses of all ages and cultures enjoy a wide variety of music, including the spiritually enriching melodies in the songbook Sing to Jehovah. Yet, in some cultures the melodies differ from local styles.
Whether you are a parent or a teen, when you want to buy an album or download some music, why not ask yourself these questions: ‘Who gave me the capacity to enjoy music? Was it not my Creator, Jehovah God? Then how can I show him that I truly appreciate his gifts? Would it not be by placing a high value on his standards of right and wrong or what is wise or unwise?’ Reflecting on such questions will help you to choose your music wisely, thus bringing joy both to your heart and to the heart of your Creator.—Proverbs 27:11.

Beautiful. I could agree more. It just so happens that the song last days is based on the scripture 2: Timothy 3.

You opened your mind to your daughter and something you may at one time have found a little strange or uncomfortable but as a result you have benefitted also I'm sure your daughter would have given even you more respect for not closing her off but building a wonderful stronger relationship.

I loved the scriptures you used. Very timely, accurate and to the point. Thank you for your understanding council my sister.

May you all have peace in your heart. Eddie T

The brothers in my kingdom including elders and pioneers really enjoyed what they have heard.

If the elders, who are in Jesus' right hand, find no fault with the music, then it is not our place to say otherwise.

As we heard at our last midweek meeting, opposing the scripturally-acceptable decisions of Jehovah's appointed servants is opposing Jehovah himself. With that in mind, do we really want to follow the path of korah and Abiram by rejecting the decision of the elders to approve the album?

Edited by Stavro

If the elders, who are in Jesus' right hand, find no fault with the music, then it is not our place to say otherwise.

As we heard at our last midweek meeting, opposing the scripturally-acceptable decisions of Jehovah's appointed servants is opposing Jehovah himself. With that in mind, do we really want to follow the path of korah and Abiram by rejecting the decision of the elders to approve the album?

Still.....it might be not right. Elders are only human.

Had just the case where the father of my grandson told him that the Elder's in his congregation

agreed that he can date an unbaptized sister even he is is still married (ask for divorce).

My grandson couldn't believe it because its again Jehovah's Laws so he ask the Elder's and they

didn't know anything about it. 

Anyway I cant believe that the GB would approve of this if they really would know about.

*** w97 7/15 p. 16 par. 10 Are You Pursuing Virtue? ***
Sadly, some Christians have failed to ‘keep on guard’ when it comes to music, and they find themselves drawn to extreme forms of it, such as rap and heavy metal. Some may argue that such music does not harm them or that they pay no attention to the lyrics. Others say that they simply enjoy a strong beat or the sound of loud guitars. For Christians, though, the issue is not whether something is enjoyable. Their concern is whether it is “acceptable to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:10) By and large, heavy metal and rap music promote such vices as profanity, fornication, and even Satanism—things that certainly have no place among God’s people. (Ephesians 5:3) Young or old, each of us would do well to reflect on this question, By my choice of music, am I pursuing virtue or vice?

*** w93 4/15 p. 22 par. 10 Guard Against Unwholesome Music! ***
Whose interests would you serve if you became involved with rap music or the rap life-style? Granted, some rap may be less objectionable in content. But does it make sense to cultivate a taste for any type of music that is predominantly offensive to Christian standards?

....and wrapping it with nice words doesn't make any different....its still Rap

Oh dear, again Judgemental and stereotyping. Tunnel vision. As previously mentioned JEHOVAH is the judge. Not us. Let us all remember that.

I really hope you find some peace my sister. Eddie T :-)

And what does the slave ask us to do when we disagree with a decision by the body of elders? Do they encourage others to correct an individual or situation on their own, in opposition to the decisions of the elders?

Anyway I cant believe that the GB would approve of this if they really would know about.

Then feel free to notify them and let them make their own decision. But the whole point of a theocracy is that we let Jehovah's appointed shepherds make Jehovah's will known, we would never rightfully declare our own opinions to be those of the slave.

Edited by Stavro

I haven't heard any of the songs, so I can't really comment - Pro. 18:13

But dating before one is scripturally free can lead to one being disfellowsipped - watchtower 2006 July 15 q from r. But I don't want to hijack this thread - perhaps we can make a new one if you want to discuss it further.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I like this website. But do you think the GB would give their stamp of approval? Seeing that we're reminded that if it's not JW.org with regards to Jehovah Witnesses, we probably shouldn't be at it? The nature of the majority of websites about Jehovah's Witnesses on the Internet is far from good. But yet through our free will and ability to reason we took it upon ourselves to trust and join this site.

I'm hoping that this brother is using his same power to promote good with this hiphop album. If he doesn't that's on him. But just remember we're all doing things we probably shouldn't do at some point. Just my 2 cents and again I like this site. It's a good one! I'm not knocking it at all!

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

Oh dear, again Judgemental and stereotyping. Tunnel vision. As previously mentioned JEHOVAH is the judge. Not us. Let us all remember that.

I really hope you find some peace my sister. Eddie T :-)

Don't worry.......I have peace. But I would have more peace if I would ignore some

topics here on this forum and keep my mouth shut........lol

Had just the case where the father of my grandson told him that the Elder's in his congregation

agreed that he can date an unbaptized sister even he is is still married (ask for divorce).

My grandson couldn't believe it because its again Jehovah's Laws so he ask the Elder's and they

didn't know anything about it. 

*** w97 7/15 p. 16 par. 10 Are You Pursuing Virtue? ***
Sadly, some Christians have failed to ‘keep on guard’ when it comes to music, and they find themselves drawn to extreme forms of it, such as rap and heavy metal. Some may argue that such music does not harm them or that they pay no attention to the lyrics. Others say that they simply enjoy a strong beat or the sound of loud guitars. For Christians, though, the issue is not whether something is enjoyable. Their concern is whether it is “acceptable to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:10) By and large, heavy metal and rap music promote such vices as profanity, fornication, and even Satanism—things that certainly have no place among God’s people. (Ephesians 5:3) Young or old, each of us would do well to reflect on this question, By my choice of music, am I pursuing virtue or vice?

*** w93 4/15 p. 22 par. 10 Guard Against Unwholesome Music! ***
Whose interests would you serve if you became involved with rap music or the rap life-style? Granted, some rap may be less objectionable in content. But does it make sense to cultivate a taste for any type of music that is predominantly offensive to Christian standards?

....and wrapping it with nice words doesn't make any different....its still Rap

Since we are using info from the 90's then the same can be said of internet use: 

11/99 KM Use of the Internet—Be Alert to the Dangers!

9 With this danger in mind, if you use the Internet, ask yourself: ‘What do I use it for? Is there a possibility that I could be harmed spiritually by how I am using it? Could I be contributing to the spiritual injury of others?’
10 Web Sites of “Jehovah’s Witnesses”: Consider, for example, some Internet sites set up by individuals who claim to be Jehovah’s Witnesses. They invite you to visit their sites to read experiences posted by others who claim to be Witnesses. You are encouraged to share your thoughts and views about the Society’s literature. Some give recommendations about presentations that could be used in the field ministry. These sites offer chat rooms for individuals to connect to, allowing live communication with others, similar to talking on the telephone. They often point you to other sites where you can have on-line association with Jehovah’s Witnesses around the world. But can you tell for certain that these contacts have not been planted by apostates?
11 Having association via the Internet may not be consistent with the recommendation found at Ephesians 5:15-17. The apostle Paul wrote: “Keep strict watch that how you walk is not as unwise but as wise persons, buying out the opportune time for yourselves, because the days are wicked. On this account cease becoming unreasonable, but go on perceiving what the will of Jehovah is.”
12 The Christian congregation is the theocratic means through which we are fed spiritually by “the faithful and discreet slave.” (Matt. 24:45-47) Within God’s organization, we find direction and protection to keep us separate from the world as well as motivation to keep busy in the work of the Lord. (1 Cor. 15:58) The psalmist indicated that he experienced joy and a feeling of security among God’s congregated people. (Ps. 27:4, 5; 55:14; 122:1) The congregation also provides spiritual support and assistance for those associated with it. Therein, you can find a group of loving, concerned, and caring friends—people you personally know who are ready and willing to help and comfort others in times of distress. (2 Cor. 7:5-7) Congregation members are protected by the Scriptural provision for disfellowshipping those who sin unrepentantly or who promote apostate thinking. (1 Cor. 5:9-13; Titus 3:10, 11) Can we expect to find these same loving arrangements when associating with others via the Internet?
13 It has become apparent that the opposite is true. Some Web sites are clearly vehicles for apostate propaganda. Such Web sites may claim otherwise, and those who sponsor a site may give a detailed explanation to affirm that they truly are Jehovah’s Witnesses. They may even request information from you in order to verify that you are one of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

18 Noticeably, there have been a number of individuals who have created Web sites ostensibly to preach the good news. Many of these sites are sponsored by indiscreet brothers. Other sites may be sponsored by apostates who wish to lure unsuspecting ones. (2 John 9-11) Commenting on whether there is a need for our brothers to create such Web sites, Our Kingdom Ministry, November 1997, page 3, stated: “There is no need for any individual to prepare Internet pages about Jehovah’s Witnesses, our activities, or our beliefs. Our official site [www.watchtower.org] presents accurate information for any who want it.”
19 Study Aids via the Internet? Some have felt that they are rendering a service to the brothers by posting researched information in connection with various theocratic activities. For example, a person may do research based on a public-talk outline and then post this, thinking that such information will benefit those who need to prepare the same outline. Others will post all the scriptures for an upcoming Watchtower Study or provide source material for the Theocratic Ministry School or the Congregation Book Study. Some may offer suggestions for field ministry presentations. Are such really helpful?
20 The publications provided by Jehovah’s organization stimulate our minds with upbuilding thoughts and train us “to distinguish both right and wrong.” (Heb. 5:14) Can we say that this is achieved if others do our research for us?
36 It is imperative that we stay close to our brothers in the congregation and use the remaining time wisely, thus making ourselves available for the advancing of Kingdom interests. As this system nears its finish, let us “no longer go on walking just as the nations also walk in the unprofitableness of their minds,” but let us “go on perceiving what the will of Jehovah is.”—Eph. 4:17; 5:17.

I think after 5 pages - there really isn't anything more that can be said about music one hasn't even heard yet.

Let's close this topic and agree that we love our brothers and sisters and understand that not everyone has the same tastes as we do in music.  :wub:

I am sure we will have lots of fun in the New World with music.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....