JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New Jehovah's Witness Rap Album soon to be released

Hi...

My 5 pence worth.

Im not a fan of rap but thats irrelevant really... Iv been in bands for 30 something years... Out in the world and more recently in the truth. Classic rock and blues is my thing.

I... And its just my personal opinion dont like the thought of mixing whatever type of music... Rap rock blues country whatever and Jehovahs great name.... Im not saying its wrong but its a definate wrong for me.

Wether its rap or whatever is irrelevant to me... Obviously all genres of music jazz blues rock and rap can and have questionable subject mater... Some very early blues are very sexual in content but i think things should be kept seperate.

Jehovah has provided the songs of praise which i enjoy some of .. But I just enjoy my other music conscience permitting away from the congregation.

Christian love

gu

FDS gives ALL of us what we need when we need it!       ...   too much free time on hand to cut rap music, should be out in invitation work instead until 4-14-14 (not releasing crap album on the 11th) poor timing too!   [5-post newbie] ??

Edited by timpin

FDS gives ALL of us what we need when we need it!       ...   too much free time on hand to cut rap music, should be out in invitation work instead until 4-14-14 (not releasing crap album on the 11th) poor timing too!   [5-post newbie] ??

Whoa. Isn't there a difference between "hobby" (aka "free time") and spiritual food given by the Faithful and Discreet Slave (aren't we supposed to avoid abbreviations?).

One might not be a fan of the music genre or of creating music at all, but that doesn't give anyone the right to flame someone else if they do. Maybe You play tennis, or go to the movies, or like hiking. That could be extra time spent in service, too.

Have You honestly asked (if it is our business in the first place to know) how much time he spends on spiritual activities compared to his album making?

If he wants to, it's up to him and his Bible trained conscience. I don't have to listen or buy the music, no one does. If something in the lyrics or doings is clear cut against principles, it is our job to speak up. Otherwise: live and let live.

Calling another Brothers or Sisters efforts in their free time "crap" is ugly and inappropriate, sorry.

Poor Eddie!

Lots of subjective opinions and even personal attacks. Only brother Dave (DW) has put in the effort to provide some objective references to WT articles, which incidentally give great advice about the spirit of the world and protecting ourselves.

There's nothing wrong in having a hobby, but there is something wrong in saying we shouldn't have any 'down' time - where's the balance?

There are as many deviant classical composers as there are other types of musical artist.
Where do we draw the line on what is acceptable or not when it's a matter of conscience?

I'm sure Eddie has considered all of the necessary Bible principles when putting in hours of effort to produce his album.

I don't know if it's my kind of thing (although I love to watch people 'locking') but I'm not going to judge him basis a fabricated non-reason, to condemn him for it!

Poor Eddie!

Dear Timpin,

Is this how you speak to your brothers and sisters at the hall?

I hope not.

I'd like to give you some counsel if you would accept it. I'm sure you are sincere and you are very talented and have worked hard on what you have produced. It would appear from your comments that you feel the elders and pioneers in your congregation have given you approval. It is not so much the music as the life-style that goes along with hip-hop music that is the problem. The brothers have pointed this out in the publications:

W 99 9/1 p.10

G 04 4/22 p. 26

G 95 1/22 p. 19

It would be wise and loving not to discuss, disseminate, or distribute this kind of thing at the Kingdom Hall or on a forum such as this. Remember the little boy with his hat turned backward on the tract? That was innocent enough, but the brothers saw fit to edit the picture because it was connected with something bad.

Hi Eddie,

I just wanted to second the references that Dave has posted here.  I am clearly open minded about this but it is worth keeping as a priority the scriptural thoughts and principles highlighted in the material.

Yes, we definitely do not want to attack any individual here. That actually needs to go both ways, eh?

As Christians, we MUST keep it civil and loving.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I think a good quality rap album could find its place with a certain audience. While I personally do not care for

rap ( and that is especially true based on the content of most rap music ), this is a form of music that appeals to

young people, as has been stated. And since this type of music is so popular with that age group, particularly

young black youths ( no racial slur intended ), this could find a niche in a spot that is no doubt right now having

a negative influence on our youth. Paul said: " I have become all things to people of all sorts that by all possible  

means save some ." - I Cor. 9:22 So If done for the right reason and with the right motives it cold prove to be a

blessing to many. I hope that proves to be the case for you brother.

GStorrs46

The slave does indeed give us all the spiritual food we need, but they have never told us to abstain from secular work or hobbies, they have only told us to be balanced, to not let any secular activity take a greater place in our lives than the preaching work.

The moderators likely spend more time each month managing this website than brother Eddie spent on the entirely of his album. On top of that, the spiritual discussions on this site often do supplement the spiritual food given by the slave. So for both the managers and the users, this site should be far less acceptable than any music album, right?

As to the genre of music, a brother who used to serve my hall as an MS and regular pioneer plays very similar music as a hobby, and even has a self-produced album. This brother sounds spiritually poor, right? I'm not qualified to determine his spiritual health, but I can tell you that he is serving an elder in his assigned congregation, and he works at Patterson Bethel.

Since the slave has neither written nor enforced any rules against anything discussed in this thread so far, I'll allow Christ and his appointed shepherds to determine any need for correction. If this brother is indeed taking a wrong step in his life, then I'll allow any readjustments to be made by those who have spiritual qualifications. (Galatians 6:1) And if the elders have already determined that there is no scriptural wrongdoing, then I certainly don't want to follow the course of the pharisees, enforcing rules where none exist while simultaneously breaking those same rules in other ways.

Above all else, we are identified by our love among ourselves. (John 13:35) That means that as long as one is identified as part of the flock, we love them as we would love any member of the flock. So, is it very loving to enforce unwritten rules and point out one another's flaws on a forum visible to the general public? I'm not qualified to answer that, but I do feel that the question deserves some consideration.

And if the elders have already determined that there is no scriptural wrongdoing, then I certainly don't want to follow the course of the pharisees, enforcing rules where none exist while simultaneously breaking those same rules in other ways.

So, is it very loving to enforce unwritten rules and point out one another's flaws on a forum visible to the general public? I'm not qualified to answer that, but I do feel that the question deserves some consideration.

I love this. I think this also applies to our 'prostitute shoes' thread as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Dear brothers & sister can I say thank you all for your thoughts and council and guidance on this matter. Can I also say that a lot of you have given such wonderful thoughts and spiritual comfort and support and true understanding in relation to this subject.

There were so many important points and I will try and address them all the best I can. In relation to the brother who called my work crap! I don't hold any bad thoughts toward you and I have already forgotten the matter and from my heart I wish you peace my brother. I really do. I have cotinuned love for ALL my brothers.

As you the type of music I do it really varies and someone mention about starting a whole new genre that very well could be the way to go. When I was in the proceeds of release the album the options on iTunes were very limited either hip hop rap or Christian gospel! So I had to make a choice and I did not want anyone to think I do church Gospel even though I am a Christian. So as the whole album is rapping I went for rap first and Christian gospel as a secondary genre.

As I can compose and write songs and do rap slow and fast pop/ hip hop/ classical I wouonder what all would say if I did an album in another genre? Anyway yes music is my hobby but I always write songs and backing tracks for various other singers and rappers too as a part time job. I also do a little bit of theme music for Videos and things like that.

spiritually I agree that this forum should always be up building and the album was made with one thing in mind which is to bring praise the the creator. On the matter of letting the society know what I am doing, the answer is no they don't but I have every intention of letting them know by letter. For the brothers that have been kind enough to leave scriptures please rest assured that I shall read all of them.

May you all have peace my brother and sisters. :-) Eddie T

I love this. I think this also applies to our 'prostitute shoes' thread as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

How FITTING as both of these topics share common GROUND!  ... http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/14380-dress-grooming-and-shoes/page-2#entry205817    ... pun intend, maybe? (if the shoe fits)

Edited by timpin

Hi eddie!

Id like to say its great that u are creative in such a way.... I have absolutely

Zero talent for writing lyric or music.. Just cant do it... So you have my

congratulations and admiration!

I play in a band but can only play others music... :-(... Still ... Perhaps when im petfect? :-)

Anyway. Christian love

gu

Brother, as I read along, I see your sincerity, and I also see evidence of musical talent. And, for that, I, am not envious, but next to it. I love music. And all kinds. (I stopped listening to current music some time ago) The hip hop and rap? My experience with it is booming speakers in cars that invade your privacy. One day I was in an area where some one was blasting it. I could not escape. The words were so ungodly that, to this day, I have a bad taste for it.

We are so close to the end. Is this putting you in a situation where you end up with unneeded stress? So far, you are handling it pretty well. But, sorry, something like this would, "eat" at me. Emotionally. We have so much good in our lives, and because we are this side of Armageddon, stress, that can all but knock us off our feet.

We are looking at principles here, and, "each to his own", keeping in mind the value of our relationship with Jehovah and our brothers. Maybe it is my age, but I do not invite stress into my life. I have to admit, that being said, that issue is not black and white. We can start out with the best of motives, and end up with stress that takes so much from the quality of our lives. This I know, first hand. I know you are young and have good motives. But, is it really worth it?

I am not willing to, "put my chin out there", unless it has to do with my worship of Jehovah. Remember the convention information a couple of years ago that said we may not have time to recover from bad decisions we may make?

It is not my call to say this is bad or good. I have choices. But, well, just the controversy you see here. That peace you wish for us, I wish for you. The kind of peace only Jehovah can give. Yes, I wish you well, my brother.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

When my son applied to Bethel, he was given an application that included questions about his habits, including, this one- Do you listen to rap or heavy metal music? (It may not be the exact words, but they are close)  It just so happened that he did not, but the fact that they asked is a strong indication that such music has a reputation for inappropriate lyric themes.

I know that you mean well, but should not the musicians of this kind of music imitate the habits of those who serve Jehovah rather than vice versa?  Admitedly there are some rap or similar songs that are very positive, but the overwhelming majority of them are full of hateful, immoral, profane, materialistic lyrics, and most people who do not want to hear such lyrics will switch away from a radio station that features that kind of music.    Just like there are certain clothes that are worn by rap stars that a Witness would not even wear in a casual get together.

That being said, drawing the line between worldly music that we should not pursue and worldly music that is occasionally ok is a hard one to do.  Fifty years ago, people were saying that rock and roll was the Devil's music.  Much of it still is, because the majority of it extols the joy and desirability of unmarried sex, and many songs even depict it in their beats and rhythms.  But over the years, many of us have been able to find within that genre music that is acceptable to our ears

Scripturally, the main thing is that whatever we do should not stumble anyone, and that we do not harm our own conscience by trying to be too much like the world that we must not love.

Edited by rbrown1205

Alright from what I am gathering, it seems like this is only an issue because he is calling it "rap" or "hip/hop". Now I don't have a lot of experience in the truth yet, nor have I ever encountered a situation like this before. However, this issue made me think of two things, and I would like to express them.

What about David and the rest of the psalmists? Did they not sing praises to Jehovah whenever they could? Do we even "know" the musical notes of the psalms? Just because the musical "notes" of the music aren't classical or aren't piano, that makes what he is doing "not a good idea"? With the psalms, we only have the lyrics recorded for us, and they show beautiful praises to Jehovah. Shouldn't that be what matters?

The other thing I was thinking about is more directed towards timpin, because I don't understand what you said. Why did you call his work crap, you haven't even heard it yet.... I understand that most rap these days potrays extremely ungodly themes, but he told us in post #1 that his songs were to bring praise to Jehovah... and you called that crap and said he should be out in the invitation work...Are you Jesus our King? Are you Jehovah our Sovereign? I just don't get why you are judging him so harshly when you have no place in doing so within Jehovah's organization. Also, and I'm sorry if this part comes of rude because I don't mean it to be, but you are here on this website with close to 300 posts, all of which probably took 50+ hours collectively to write. Couldn't you have spent those 50 hours in the invitation work? Please don't be mean to my brother, for there is no room for sibling rivalry in Jehovah's house. We need to have Christian love for each other, because remember, that's what identifies us.

Hi all. This is my final post for today. Once again thank you to all those who support what is soon to come and all your encouragement.

A lot of the points our brothers and more recent points from our sisters are very factual and very pleasant to read. I have read the scriptures that have been mentioned but still need to try and find the WT mentioned.

Sister Natasha mention about mentioning the words rap and hip hop which is a big issue with a lot of brothers on the forum. The funny thing is that someone heard one of the songs from the album and said the song was more like dub step! "What on earth is dub" step?" I must getting old! Need to do so research on that one. Lol

Are my songs any different from Bob Marly singing about "Exodus the movement of Jah people" which I know a lot of witness love to listen too. Was it wrong for Bob a non witness to use gods name in a regga song? Anyway all this speculation but only time will tell what the response will be once it's out in the public domain. And I'm sure there will lots to say on the matter.

May we ALL have peace and Jahovahs blessing. Eddie T

Why cant you just call it Rap album and not JWs Rap album. the only people authorized to feed God's people thru writings and music/videos are the faithful slave. Are you one now?

In your other post you said young ones do not like kingdom songs. So you are giving them alternatives. Here is a question, many young ones do not enjoy our christian meetings, are you going to come up with another activity for the in place of meetings?

Be careful how many copies you release, because it might not sell.

It is not important where we serve nor in what capacity but, rather, whom we serve. MARKUS HARTLIEF

Watchtower April 15 1993.

Rap Music—The Music of Rebellion

7 Consider, for example, the current rage of rap music. According to Time magazine, rap has become “a certifiable, global rhythm revolution” and is enormously popular in Brazil, Europe, Japan, Russia, and the United States. Often completely devoid of melody, its lyrics are spoken, not sung, to the accompaniment of a powerful beat. It is that driving beat, though, that seems to be the secret of rap’s great commercial success. “When I listen to rap music,” says one Japanese youth, “I feel excited, and when I’m dancing, I feel free.”
8 Rap lyrics—often a brash mixture of profanity and street slang—seem to be another reason for the popularity of rap. Unlike traditional rock lyrics, many of which dwell on the subject of teenage romance, rap lyrics often have a more serious message. Some rap speaks out against injustice, racism, and police brutality. At times, though, the rhyming refrains are stated in the most foul, shocking language imaginable. Rap also seems to constitute a rebellion against standards of dress, grooming, and sexual morality. Not surprisingly, rap has become a life-style in its own right. Its adherents are identified by their flamboyant gestures, street slang, and garb—baggy jeans, unlaced high-top sneakers, gold chains, baseball caps, and dark glasses.
9 At Ephesians 5:10, Christians are told to “keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord.” Considering the reputation rap has made for itself, do you think it would be “acceptable to the Lord” for you to get involved with it? Would a Christian youth want to be identified with a life-style that is deemed unacceptable even by many people of the world? Note how one reviewer described a rap concert: “The rap singers vied with one another for shock appeal with profanity and explicit sexual lyrics. . . . Male and female dancers simulated sex acts on the stage.” Regarding a certain headline act, one of the concert promoters said: “Every other word out of their mouth is (obscene).”
10 Even so, the music played that evening was hardly considered out of the mainstream of rap. Said the concert hall director: “What you are hearing is average rap—the same as they’re buying in the stores.” How sad it is to report that among the 4,000 and more youths in attendance at that concert were some who claim to be Jehovah’s Witnesses! Some have apparently taken lightly the fact that Satan is “the ruler of the authority of the air.” He governs “the spirit [or, dominant mental attitude] that now operates in the sons of disobedience.” (Ephesians 2:2) Whose interests would you serve if you became involved with rap music or the rap life-style? Granted, some rap may be less objectionable in content. But does it make sense to cultivate a taste for any type of music that is predominantly offensive to Christian standards?

It is not important where we serve nor in what capacity but, rather, whom we serve. MARKUS HARTLIEF

From what i read here i can say people are being seriously judgmental , neither one of us have heard a single song but people are pulling out there watchtower libraries to give advice. i would like the brother if he can to post some of his lyrics for us to read.

I really like this brothers spirit , i think people are seeing  the word "rap" getting all riled up. True worldly rap comes with lots of bad stereotypes , but i can rap to you right now in my meeting clothing and you would think i was reciting poetry. Side not reggae used to be considered rebellious music especially bob Marley but very few people would consider that so now. Another thing here in the Caribbean i grew up going to get together and seeing elders get down to selected rap tunes and hip hop jams .  

If our brother Prince were to release an album would we buy it? I view this the same way. If Jehovah is amenable to planting seeds of truth through this medium, you'll likely be very successful. Success in itself is not bad, but it sure can be a snare later on down the road. If you wouldn't mind once it's up in iTunes, could you come back here and post me a link, I am not very iTunes savvy so I need some help!

For the record, I have always loved rap, it's raw, it's real and when done well can cause a person to really think and focus on the lyrics. Some of my favorite artists were Tupac and Eminem. If it's a radio edit version where the swearing is bleeped out I will still listen to it, but rarely do they even bother anymore.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

Greetings my brothers and sisters. I can see its going to be another day of serious debate. Thank you for all your thoughts and support. A few points in would to raise today from I have read.

1) The albums is entitled Eddie T The Jah Project! There is no mention anywhere that this is an album for JW's only or anything like that. If someone comes across the album and reads the title and looked at the track list they would soon get the drift if they are in the truth but if they we're is the world they may conclude it's a Christian rap album.

2) I have never claimed to be something I am not, and am NOT trying to take the place of what the FDS do which is just ridicules. The music I provide is nothing more but another option to the many type of genres that already exists but the difference is my lyrics are of a Christian nature.

3) in relation to sales iTunes is just one of 20 internet stores that will be distrubting the album digitally so I don't need to print physical copies unless requested.

4) in regards to making money out relegion I spoke to an elder who has Pernonal links the Brooklyn bethal and advised him of what I was doing and I asked him if I wrote the society and they approved what I was doing would they be able to assist me with cost I.e. Use their music studio and as I would not have incurred any real costs I would be able to distrubting the album for free of charge for all. I was advised that when brothers become missionaries they have to bear the brunt of all the cost themselves. So the chances are they will say no! And I will have to bear the cost of everything myself. Also various brothers are charging for so many things I.e. Bethal tours, on iTunes and the internet, bibles, calendars, and various other thing which is no different to what I am doing. I spent a lot of time and money on this project.

5) I fully understand that generally rap music in the world is very bad in relation the lyrical content. I think a lot of people are maybe scared of something they don't fully understand as the stereotype of traditional rap is so hard for many to let go of. But as so many have already mention judging something you have not heard could be seen as presumptionoiuness.

In my next post for brother Javin I will give a sample of a verse in one of the songs.

6) once the album is released I will more than likely stop post on this forum as I will need to maintain my website/Facebook and Twitter pages for fans but I will pop in when I can.

Lastly I was listening to the album this morning on my way to work and I think the music is actually pop with an urban feel lol who knows even I'm confused now lol may you all have peace. Eddie T