JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Eboli virus in West Africa

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3589 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I feel compassion for all of my brothers and sister all over the world!

* New Guinea - Ebola outbreak

* Congo - Malaria

* Russia - Bans

* Ukraine - Violence and looting

* India - Religious suppression

* Africa - Starvation and Disease

* North Korea - Brothers in concentration camps

It's everywhere you look and it's not about the number or severity, it's the fact that these are humans & our brothers/sisters at that. Jehovah knows each one by name and cares for each one...There are even JW's being persecuted/dying in the U.S. (forced blood transfusions on youths, murders, etc.)

When something is on the news it makes one think about it as it's a constant reminder, the only way we know about the suffering of some is by hearing it through the faithful and discreet slave (yearbooks, experiences, etc.)

May Jehovah continue to strengthen each faithful brother and sister! :wub:

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Good news about the recent ebola outbreak: http://time.com/63488/guinea-ebola-outbreak-control/

And I was wrong, Ebola is not airborn at all under any form. You have to touch a visible sick person to get it. (Maybe that is the reason why there was no emblems, because while passing the emblems on you might touch the one sitting next to you and not just simply being in the same room, which according to the article would not be dangerous)

And even though there is no cure it is not completely untreatable. I didnt know that either. This is a very good and short article I learn a lot from: http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/04/economist-explains-6

It was obvious to me that it had to be treatable because not all who get it die from it but it seems like more do than don't. I know that pestilence is part of the sign of the last days but that doesn't make it any less scary, especially when our brotherhood cannot always escape the effects. I'm sure the prayers coming from the "whole association" in this time of the end are almost deafening at times!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Good news about the recent ebola outbreak: http://time.com/63488/guinea-ebola-outbreak-control/

And I was wrong, Ebola is not airborn at all under any form. You have to touch a visible sick person to get it. (Maybe that is the reason why there was no emblems, because while passing the emblems on you might touch the one sitting next to you and not just simply being in the same room, which according to the article would not be dangerous)

And even though there is no cure it is not completely untreatable. I didnt know that either. This is a very good and short article I learn a lot from: http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/04/economist-explains-6

If touching a dead person can pass Ebola, I would think that just touching the same dish or wine glass would do the same. I would also think that they would disinfect all touchable surfaces after the event.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

If touching a dead person can pass Ebola, I would think that just touching the same dish or wine glass would do the same. I would also think that they would disinfect all touchable surfaces after the event.

I only know what the doctors says in the articles and they say that you have to touch the person directly, you can not get the disease by touching anything the sick person have touched. I guess the scientists now best.

About disinfecting surfaces, that is always a good idea in the tropic. At least I learn when I moved down here that there is no such thing as a small wound or scratch. Small scratches you wouldn't care about in the north is important to clean at the middle of the earth. They are not going to kill you or anything, but boy can they hurt if they get infected ;)

Jack how much does it cost to treat malaria?Are there any free clinics for the people there for treatment?

That depends how long you have had it before you get treatment. We don't have any free clinics that treat people in Ho, there must be some in the cities where the refuge camps are, but I don't know. A lot of Ghanaians citizens (about 70% is my guess) have the public health care solution, it is very cheap and covers simple deceases like Malaria.

So if you have health care and are quick to go to the hospital to get a test the medicine you have to buy would be quit cheap, about 5 dollar or so. But if you have been going around with the parasites in your body for a long time it can be quit expensive. A sister in my group had been feeling tired for a long time and found out that it was the parasite that had work on her. To get it under control she had to buy get several shoots at the hospital (you pay for the medicine and needle but not for the doctor handling it) and after that she had to have a vitamin treatment. In the end I think she used about 100 dollars.

The problem is that Malaria most often breaks out with people that already have a weakened immune system. Like a brother in my group who got measles and at the same times his malaria parasites attacked at full force. He was at the hospital for several days. (Malaria is not a decease you normally would get hospitalized because of)

If you live a healthy life, eat the right thing, excessive ect. your own body often will fight off the occasional malaria attack without you even knowing it, just don't get bitten by a lot of scores of mosquitoes the same night. But many people in the villages don't have the money to eat healthy and of course this is also the once without health care. Fortunately the locals does have a larger natural resistance than those of us born in Europe or North America. Still it is possible to die from Malaria when it is left untreated, and even in a middle income country as Ghana some do every year. 

I read a book by Richard Preston. It had a report in it about an outbreak of Ebola back east. Washing DC area. It came to this country via infected monkeys that are used for medical testing. Before the thing was over, two people tested positive for it, but did not die. They had to kill some 400 poor monkeys because of possible Ebola infection. The building it happened in is still sealed up, and they plan to keep it that way. This was in the 1980's. The book is called, "The Hot Zone". Like they said, "The truth is scarier then fiction". We read about this outbreak in Africa. Remember where HIV/AIDS came from? If an ill person travels before they are diagnosed, well, nightmare time. There is so much out there. We just need to keep our brothers and sister in our prayers.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

• 1 month later...

I heard today on the news that they now consider this outbreak as "out of control".  They have over 500 recorded cases in 3 countries and 330 of them have died (those odds are horrible!). They are saying it's going to be a horrible disaster because normally it will confine itself to one or two small villages and wipe them out and then the virus stops and goes away, but this time it's too wide spread and getting worse.

Thanks Brigette.....I googled and found this report .....really worrying not only for our Brothers

Guinea frets as Ebola virus spreads

Conakry - A second spike in Ebola virus cases has panicked residents and health officials in Guinea, who fear a west African outbreak of the killer disease may now be out of control.

"Ebola cases are worrying. We do not know what to expect," Mamady Traore, a trader in the suburbs of the capital Conakry, told AFP on Thursday. "Sometimes you are told it has been [contained] and sometimes you hear it has reappeared in other towns and villages."

According to figures released by the World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday, a total of 398 cases of haemorrhagic fever - causing 264 deaths - have been reported in Guinea since the start of 2014. Of these, 254 were caused by Ebola.

The incurable disease is spread by contact with bodily fluids including sweat, meaning just touching an infected person is enough to spread the virus.

"The government can't do anything to fight the disease," taxi driver Abdoulaye Barry said of Ebola, one of the deadliest known viruses, which kills its victims by inducing unstoppable internal bleeding.

The latest outbreak began in southeast Guinea and spread rapidly through neighbouring Liberia and Sierra Leone. Cases have recently surfaced in Guinea's west and southeast - areas previously thought to be free of the disease.

"We're faced with a second spike in the epidemic," Marie-Christine Ferir, a worker for aid agency Doctors Without Borders, told AFP. "What is unusual is the spreading of outbreak locations. It complicates things."

In Thursday in Conakry, there was no discernable presence of medical staff around key buildings. An AFP correspondent said however that sanitising hand gels were offered to customers at the entrances of banks and insurance companies.

A total of 528 haemorrhagic fever cases have been reported throughout west Africa in 2014, inflicting 337 deaths. Almost 70% were caused by Ebola, which can induce severe fever and muscle pain, as well as vomiting, diarrhoea and organ failure.

I wonder how that affects the preaching work in these type of conditions?  Even touching something that someone else previously touched (such as a pole or rock or anything), if their sweat came off on it, it can pass on to you.  If people "spray" while they talk, it can spread.

Here in my State the Dept of Health issued a warning to all residents for mosquitoes, remove standing water from your plants (those planted in pots), no bird baths, rain sprouts must be cleared of all leaves, sticks and other things.  Here it's West Nile, and a new one chikungunya virus!

WBAL News/Baltimore, MD/June 20, 2014

The first day of summer arrives just before National Mosquito Control Awareness Week, and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials want people to be aware of a new mosquito-borne disease that's being found in Maryland.  Maryland is home to 40 different species of mosquitoes, and although they're little, they can bring big problems.

''They are annoying, but they are becoming less of a nuisance and more of an issue when it comes to health," said Derek Czajakowski of the mosquito control company Mosquito Squad. This year there's a new campaign: Treat that buzz you hear as a warning alarm.

"Mosquitoes actually kill an estimated 725,000 people a year with the diseases that they can transmit," Czajakowski said. West Nile virus is still a threat, but a new mosquito-borne illness called the chikungunya virus has moved in from the Caribbean. More than 130,000 cases have been reported, and it's started to trickle into the United States.

"(West Nile) is still a threat here in the United States, but there is a new virus that just hit America's shores this summer. They're tracking it in about 15 different states, and Maryland is one of them," Czajakowski said.  It's not fatal, but it can make people very sick, so the best thing to can do is clean up.  "By far the easiest way is to get rid of any standing water on the property. That's the way they breed, and if you can get rid of that, you have taken away 90 percent of the problem," said Ryan Kowalewski of the Mosquito Squad. "Even a bottle cap of water can give you 300 mosquitoes in just three days."  Experts said to be sure to check everywhere around the home.

"Corrugated piping is notorious. Each ring with a little bit of water gives you an egg-laying scenario," Kowalewski said.  Experts said to turn anything over that could collect water, including tarps, which people should shake out. The Mosquito Squad recommended keeping the yard as clean as possible.

"Get rid of debris and any yard waste that you have in the yard. If you don't need it and it's not part of the composite, get rid of it or move it as far away from the house as possible," Kowalewski said.  If that doesn't work, outside help can always do the trick, especially now that there are plenty of products on the market that are safe for children and pets.

*************************************************************************************************************

Am expecting more pestilence to come our way, besides what everyone has reported in here.  Including this one I found on the news.  It's Satan's last stand, and everything is being unleashed.  

Here in my State the Dept of Health issued a warning to all residents for mosquitoes, remove standing water from your plants (those planted in pots), no bird baths, rain sprouts must be cleared of all leaves, sticks and other things.  Here it's West Nile, and a new one chikungunya virus!

WBAL News/Baltimore, MD/June 20, 2014

The first day of summer arrives just before National Mosquito Control Awareness Week, and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials want people to be aware of a new mosquito-borne disease that's being found in Maryland.  Maryland is home to 40 different species of mosquitoes, and although they're little, they can bring big problems.

''They are annoying, but they are becoming less of a nuisance and more of an issue when it comes to health," said Derek Czajakowski of the mosquito control company Mosquito Squad. This year there's a new campaign: Treat that buzz you hear as a warning alarm.

"Mosquitoes actually kill an estimated 725,000 people a year with the diseases that they can transmit," Czajakowski said. West Nile virus is still a threat, but a new mosquito-borne illness called the chikungunya virus has moved in from the Caribbean. More than 130,000 cases have been reported, and it's started to trickle into the United States.

"(West Nile) is still a threat here in the United States, but there is a new virus that just hit America's shores this summer. They're tracking it in about 15 different states, and Maryland is one of them," Czajakowski said.  It's not fatal, but it can make people very sick, so the best thing to can do is clean up.  "By far the easiest way is to get rid of any standing water on the property. That's the way they breed, and if you can get rid of that, you have taken away 90 percent of the problem," said Ryan Kowalewski of the Mosquito Squad. "Even a bottle cap of water can give you 300 mosquitoes in just three days."  Experts said to be sure to check everywhere around the home.

"Corrugated piping is notorious. Each ring with a little bit of water gives you an egg-laying scenario," Kowalewski said.  Experts said to turn anything over that could collect water, including tarps, which people should shake out. The Mosquito Squad recommended keeping the yard as clean as possible.

"Get rid of debris and any yard waste that you have in the yard. If you don't need it and it's not part of the composite, get rid of it or move it as far away from the house as possible," Kowalewski said.  If that doesn't work, outside help can always do the trick, especially now that there are plenty of products on the market that are safe for children and pets.

*************************************************************************************************************

Am expecting more pestilence to come our way, besides what everyone has reported in here.  Including this one I found on the news.  It's Satan's last stand, and everything is being unleashed.  

I just went back to read more local news from this same station and this popped up.  Yikes, even animals can contract this disease:

As Summer Begins, Maryland Zoo Monitors Penguins For Malaria

It doesn't kill like Ebola though.  

No, sorry, it's just a matter of time before someone brings it here to the U.S.A.   I guess I'll have to get more masks and wear them where ever I go, and keep hand cleaner around in case I can't get to a sink and wash my hands.   

No, sorry, it's just a matter of time before someone brings it here to the U.S.A.   I guess I'll have to get more masks and wear them where ever I go, and keep hand cleaner around in case I can't get to a sink and wash my hands.

The thought of a worldwide outbreak is very frightening, but it could be a reality :(

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

I saw that "out of control" story on Yahoo over a week ago and it's so scary because the rate of survival once you get it is SO low.  70% die! 

I regularly read the blog of the missionaries in West Africa. It was interesting how they had Memorial and their convention in the middle of this epidemic  here is the link to their blog     http://ilynca.blogspot.com.  They are on vacation in the US right now but it is very frightening to actually be in the middle of the outbreak.

I regularly read the blog of the missionaries in West Africa. It was interesting how they had Memorial and their convention in the middle of this epidemic  here is the link to their blog     http://ilynca.blogspot.com.  They are on vacation in the US right now but it is very frightening to actually be in the middle of the outbreak.