JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3578 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This was on the local news in Ghana this morning:

Five persons said to be from the same family are feared to have drowned, after a canoe in which they were travelling capsized.

The five- a woman, her three daughters and a baby- were crossing a river to Prestea and later travel to Takwa for the Jehovah’s Witness convention there.

But their canoe capsized at Sika Ne Asem in the Prestea-Huni Valley district in Western Region, drowning all five on board.

A search operation is underway for the bodies of the five persons.

However, the rising level of the river has complicated matters as the search team fears diving in to look for the bodies.

Nana Appiah an opinion leader in the area told Joy News, residents have no means to cross the river apart from using the canoe since the wooden bridge linking the village and Prestea has been washed away by flood waters.

He said they have no option than to wait for the water to recede for the search party to intensify its operation.

I feel really sad for you and the brothers and sisters close to this situation..what a faithful family doing all they could to get to the convention~

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

How sad. Time and unforeseen circumstances. How wonderful the hope of the ressurection is, for all of us, but especially with you dear ones, at this, yes, sad, time.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Five persons said to be from the same family are feared to have drowned, after a canoe in which they were travelling capsized.

The five- a woman, her three daughters and a baby- were crossing a river to Prestea and later travel to Takwa for the Jehovah’s Witness convention there.

But their canoe capsized at Sika Ne Asem in the Prestea-Huni Valley district in Western Region, drowning all five on board.

However, the rising level of the river has complicated matters as the search team fears diving in to look for the bodies.

Nana Appiah an opinion leader in the area told Joy News, residents have no means to cross the river apart from using the canoe since the wooden bridge linking the village and Prestea has been washed away by flood waters.

He said they have no option than to wait for the water to recede for the search party to intensify its operation.

Oh, Obed, this is so sad but more for you since you can relate to the circumstances. What a brave mother to try and forge this river in a canoe with her children. I am sure they are used to do such things there but here we would not be able to cross a river in a canoe, we are not prepared in ability to do this. 

Obed, have you ever been on that river?

This breaks my heart (and I know it breaks Jehovah's too). It's so rare that you hear of something this tragic when someone is on their way to a convention but in the times we are living in, it shouldn't come as too much of a shock - but we've all lost a precious sister and her children and it hurts. Our prayers go out to those in her congregation and any who knew them.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Oh, Obed, this is so sad but more for you since you can relate to the circumstances. What a brave mother to try and forge this river in a canoe with her children. I am sure they are used to do such things there but here we would not be able to cross a river in a canoe, we are not prepared in ability to do this.

Obed, have you ever been on that river?

No. But on a different river. Its raining season here so the rivers are behaving much dangerous now.

Its great using a canoe across a river except that you will sit for hours especially if the river is large and you better hope you dont capsize. Crocs and all those guys.

One thing to consider, horrible occurrence, an unforeseen circumstance but we can be assured that Jehovah has these ones (these ever so faithful ones) in his memory awaiting the day of the resurrection.

My brother as you travel to your convention and all those going, may Jehovah safeguard your physical souls as you attempt to nourish your spiritual ones.

Indeed this sister is a fine example of diligently doing what Jehovah has asked with respect to gathering in the large congregation, her faithful attempt despite the outcome showed Jehovah several things about this woman's faith. Her decision to brave the elements despite likely being fearful showed she was also whole souled in her worship.

While we do not know the day nor the hour, we know that all are being readied as to fitness for life in the new system of things. I sometimes think of those who fall asleep in death prior to outbreak of the GT as ones who are deeply loved and cherished by Jehovah as he has allowed for them to be ensured entrance to the paradise through their premature deaths.

May her family (all 8 million of us) reflect on this woman's sacrifice and work to imitate her no excuses attitude. May her immediate fleshy family receive an outpouring of love and support from the brotherhood and the peace of Jehovah himself.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

No. But on a different river. Its raining season here so the rivers are behaving much dangerous now.

Its great using a canoe across a river except that you will sit for hours especially if the river is large and you better hope you dont capsize. Crocs and all those guys.

Thanks Obed, for answering my question. I don't think I could get into a canoe where there are crocodiles in the river. You all are very brave from what you have to do to just live. 

Yes, I saw this yesterday. It's on JoyOnline. Time and unexpected events... Ecclesiastes 9:11.

This reminds me of an accident I remember hearing about a few years back where a truck full of brothers and sisters got in an accident on the way to an assembly or convention (in Africa?) and killed quite a few.  So sad to hear these reports.  

Incidents like these have led me to be a lot more cautious about attributing minor favorable events that happen to me (such as finding a good parking space at the post office when I'm running late for the service group).  I just appreciate that Jehovah protects his people as a group, but seeking to understand exactly how only leads to pointless speculation.  I'm just thankful for the resurrection hope for this sister and her children.