JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ebola Spreading :

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3439 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I'm not trying to stir up panic, but I thought I would pass along a posting that was made in the group Kingdom Friendship on Facebook today:

"A Brother at my Hall, has a son who lives in Dallas in the medical industry, he spoke to another who is on the front line of this Ebola issue, Yes; they are expecting this to go viral very soon. He advise that every brother and sister should stock up on 1 to 2 months worth of food at the least. He said once the Government starts quarantine thousands of people, it is going to start a panic like never seen in America"

So yes, even the brothers and sisters are worried.

I am in Arlington TX, short drive from Dallas, and I am not seeing this anywhere.

Majority of the brothers/sisters in my area are not panicking over this or stocking up on food supplies.  There has been nothing from the elders as well as to this.

Not saying this can't happen, but right now, most of the friends are not getting worked up over this.  A few are, but it's a small majority.

I too work in the medical industry, and even there, the ones I meet at our companies various clients which are hospitals and doctors in Dallas/Ft Worth, again, no panic among them either.

I'm not trying to stir up panic, but I thought I would pass along a posting that was made in the group Kingdom Friendship on Facebook today:

"A Brother at my Hall, has a son who lives in Dallas in the medical industry, he spoke to another who is on the front line of this Ebola issue, Yes; they are expecting this to go viral very soon. He advise that every brother and sister should stock up on 1 to 2 months worth of food at the least. He said once the Government starts quarantine thousands of people, it is going to start a panic like never seen in America"

So yes, even the brothers and sisters are worried.

I'm sure this brother that spoke to that that spoke to the other and the other was not talking about ebola but fearbola, a much more dangerous epidemic crisis!

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/15/opinion/robbins-ebola-fear/index.html?iref=allsearch

Right now, two-thirds of Americans are suffering from "Fear-bola," according to a new Washington Post poll. It's a hyper-contagious disease that affects the brain, making sufferers fear a widespread Ebola outbreak in the United States.

Fear-bola is an airborne disease that spreads through conversation, entering your brain through your ears. Fear-bola is so contagious that some victims have contracted it by simply seeing images and videos about Ebola.

post-3233-0-68763100-1413565425_thumb.pn

Yet the following paragraph ends the link from Trina:

I am fully aware that we can never rule out what a virus might or might not do. But the likelihood that Ebola virus will go airborne is so remote that we should not use it to frighten people. We need to focus on stopping the epidemic, which in itself is a huge job.

If this truly was time to panic, the two cases in Texas would have morphed into far more cases than it has EXPONENTIALLY.

"fear-bola"- I love it. Gonna start using that one.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

I don't think we should be anxious over the situation we should use common sense and keep focused on spiritual things and help those who are distressed to look to Jehovah to take away all of this illness we see. This is a great time to witness to those who look to science instead of God because they have no clue, they are struggling right now even with all the medical advances they cannot stop this disease right now..

Pr 25:11 Like apples of gold in silver carvings Is a word spoken at the right time.

Lu 21:34 “But pay attention to yourselves that your hearts never become weighed down with overeating and heavy drinking and ANXIETIES of life, and suddenly that day be instantly upon you

Jehovah will take care of us we can be sure of that!

It's always good to have an emergency back ready because anything could happen - tornado outbreak, flooding, terrorist attack,etc...Satan will use any means available to attack God's people and anyone else who is in his path when he strikes...

I am trying to treat this like I did the Avian flu, I track it and keep the brothers/sisters in such areas in my prayers - if it comes here, wear a mask, wash my hands/don't touch my face, etc. Simple precautions I usually do during flu season anyway lol

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

obviously, there are still questions about ebola but officials are now taking serious precautions:

http://www.utexas.edu/news/2014/10/17/ebola-update-campus/    a student at UT Austin was on the flight of 1143 has been quarantined to his own home. 

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/10/ebola_update_from_cleveland_cu_1.html      2 people quarintined in Ohio after being in contact with 2nd infected nurse.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/17/cruise-ship-carrying-texas-ebola-nurse-refused-entry-in-belize/      cruise ship returns when a passenger and companion are quarantined, finding out the passenger have may have handled lab specimen from the first ebola patient, Duncan, that died

Just goes to show that Jehovah's laws for the Israelites were spot on with quarantining of ones who were in contact with a dead body or leprosy and other things. 

I have been thinking about bringing back the style of wearing gloves, you could wear rubber ones underneath the fabric ones. I have been thinking about this for a couple of years due to the fact that handling money is so dirty and when opening doors all the hands that have been on that knob. When you get home you can put them in the wash immediately. 

Edited by HorseJump

So far, the only people who cite that admittedly flawed study are those who use it as "proof" that "Ebola is already airborne", despite the fact that the researchers make no such claim. So is it really wise to repeat the false claims of known liars, and imply that the CDC is covering up "obvious evidence"?

Okay, let me try this again.  I am not repeating false claims, Brother Stravo.  If you are claiming that others are, then I cannot answer for them.  I have actually given it much thought here believe it or not.  Disagreeing with my point of view based on facts provided is one thing but to attempt to discredit my statements based on assertions and assumptions that I am repeating false claims is a misconception on your part.  There is obvious evidence in the 2012 Canadian report that "raises questions" whether particles can spread thru the air.  My guess is that it's the "questions raised" that are concerning folks. And, if you have read the 2012 report, it clearly mentions that the particles remain in the air for a certain period of time yet still not conclusive as to how long.  If by chance some folks are using it as verifiable proof particles become airborne remaining in the air for long periods, I can agree that would be unfair to use it as "fact."  If "and if" by chance the CDC is covering up the 2012 Canadian study, it's probably doing so in order not to give folks something to panic about - that is what I meant when I stated "for good reason."  Is the CDC lying?  I have absolutely no idea.  But, in observing wavering comments by the director of the CDC, it is obvious even he is not certain about various aspects of how it spreads.  Perhaps his uncertainty is becoming evident and is detected in his delivery of his messages to the public.  Fact remains, there are many scientific ifs and buts about the spread.  No doubt, hygiene plays a huge part in containing the virus.  

When people cite that study to back claims like "the CDC director says Ebola is airborne", yes, the flawed study is indeed the reason for people panicking.

As has been noted many times over, the study itself admits that the cages may have been contaminated, and in no case should such a study be used as evidence of a CDC admission or a CDC cover up, though some use it as proof of both. (How would that work exactly?)

Zampp came from many dozens of studies, not a single study where the researchers openly admit the cages were likely contaminated.

While it's great news that a treatment is being developed, this study in no way, shape, or form gives any credence to any of the entirely unsubstantiated conspiracy theories that have been repeated in this thread.

The head of the 2012 Canadian study is a researcher named Dr. Gary Kobinger.  Dr. Kobinger is the senior author of the study.  Dr. Kobinger and his team, coupled with the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, developed ZMapp.  It is clearly reported in various scientific articles that "Dr. Kobinger and his team" actually produced the "cocktail containing the 'best' antibodies" in the development of ZMapp.  Out of all "18 monkeys that had been given what would have been a lethal dose of Ebola virus," all 18 were saved by the treatment. . .  and that includes the two American missionaries working in Liberia who were brought here to the U.S. for treatment. That is a FANTASTIC breakthrough!  While some scientists might assert and claim that the 2012 Canadian "caged" study might be flawed, that is quite a leap and an unfair evaluation considering it was Dr. Kobinger's and his team's due deligence that vigorously contributed to the production of serum that actually saved lives based on their various studies.  That's not to say that ZMapp is going to heal all patients with the virus considering the numerous studies "by all research contributors in the development of the serum" only included studies of certain strains of Ebola. 

Your replies to my comments often include statements about "conspiracy theories" and am getting the impression you think I am a conspiracy theorist. If that is the case, please know you are highly mistaken.  That stated, can we please put that aside and focus on the direct statements being made?  In anticipation of doing so, I thank you.   

Edited by Mei

I have heard on numerous statements that the study with the particles in the air is flawed or that they lied...please understand that this particular study is used right now along with others as a basis for understanding this virus...ALL studies are used to form a basis for knowledge on what this virus has or has not done at this point.

For someone to say this group lied is saying they conspired...this is not the case.

There is a previous article on airborn and non airborn the only difference between the two is how far it lasts in the air.

Using this reasoning is still not clear because as we have heard previously that the disease is alive on surfaces for hours and outside the body. If these particles were to come in contact with dust theoretically why couldn't it be carried in the he air??

Also they are questioning this form of reasoning because it confuses the normal person into the thinking you could not get it if you are just in a room with a person...however, they are quarantining people who were in the long range area of sick ones, why, because they are not sure.

And still again there is no need to be anxious or worried about it because we need to see what happens, they could contain it if humans stop being self consumed and going out when they know they are sick or could be. And most important is rely on Jehovah because he will not leave us to handle this on our own, he will take care of our every need.

And still again there is no need to be anxious or worried about it because we need to see what happens, they could contain it if humans stop being self consumed and going out when they know they are sick or could be. And most important is rely on Jehovah because he will not leave us to handle this on our own, he will take care of our every need.

Always enjoy reading your comments and point of view.  Being self-consumed is an inherent human reaction, and not being self-consumed is, unfortunately, an idealistic concept - as it appears Duncan is a good example of that.  In any event, you are so very right about Jehovah stepping in and watching out for his people. 

I also recall reading in one of the scientific articles, and don't remember which one, that it would be difficult for the virus (report didn't mention which strain) to remain in the air for long periods of time because once the virus is exposed to ultraviolet rays it dies, but really have not read up much more on that.   

Edited by Mei

The head of the 2012 Canadian study is a researcher named Dr. Gary Kobinger.  Dr. Kobinger is the senior author of the study.  Dr. Kobinger and his team, coupled with the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, developed ZMapp.  It is clearly reported in various scientific articles that "Dr. Kobinger and his team" actually produced the "cocktail containing the 'best' antibodies" in the development of ZMapp.  Out of all "18 monkeys that had been given what would have been a lethal dose of Ebola virus," all 18 were saved by the treatment. . .  and that includes the two American missionaries working in Liberia who were brought here to the U.S. for treatment.

We're talking about two entirely different studies.

The study that contributed to ZMapp involved an intentional infection of monkeys with a lethal dose of Ebola through direct contact.

The study that has been cited was an UNintentional infection of monkeys with Ebola without obvious contact, and that study was flawed because Dr. Kobinger himself said that it was flawed. The follow-up study proved beyond any reasonable doubt that the "airborne" strain of Ebola was in no way airborne.

As for the comments about conspiracy theories, I mean things like this:

There is obvious evidence in the 2012 Canadian report that "raises questions" whether particles can spread thru the air.

That report did raise questions, and those questions have since been sufficiently answered. No reputable doctor or medical institution is citing that study at all, the only people who reference it are conspiracy theorists and talk-radio shows with hired actors posing as doctors.

That study is obsolete, and has been since several months after its publication. Repeatedly referring to it as "evidence" does nothing but contribute to the ever-present fear-mongering that only leads to others bringing harm to themselves.

This Dr. Kobinger's research is beneficial enough that they have included him on the special team that has developed a serum being shipped to Africa to fight Ebola a we speak. I guarantee you that there are Dr.'s right now with a stack of his and other research documentation being studied over and over to learn about this virus and it's potential.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2014/10/20141013-073625.html

Thomas Duncan (first Ebola patient in the US) arrived to Dallas on September 20, almost a month ago.  Only two people, his nurses, have contracted Ebola.  

3 people in the US in one month, that is definitely nothing for any of us to be worried about at this time. 

My reference to Duncan was merely a reply to Trina's statement about people, in general, being self-consumed. 

My reference to Duncan was merely a reply to Trina's statement about people, in general, being self-consumed. 

I'm not really sure what this means to me,  my comment was just a general statement about how many have contacted Ebola in the US.  It wasn't a reference to a post of yours or anyone else's in this thread.

:)  :) :)  

We're talking about two entirely different studies.

The study that contributed to ZMapp involved an intentional infection of monkeys with a lethal dose of Ebola through direct contact.

The study that has been cited was an UNintentional infection of monkeys with Ebola without obvious contact, and that study was flawed because Dr. Kobinger himself said that it was flawed. The follow-up study proved beyond any reasonable doubt that the "airborne" strain of Ebola was in no way airborne.

As for the comments about conspiracy theories, I mean things like this:

That report did raise questions, and those questions have since been sufficiently answered. No reputable doctor or medical institution is citing that study at all, the only people who reference it are conspiracy theorists and talk-radio shows with hired actors posing as doctors.

That study is obsolete, and has been since several months after its publication. Repeatedly referring to it as "evidence" does nothing but contribute to the ever-present fear-mongering that only leads to others bringing harm to themselves.

Thank you for clarifying. Agreed it involved two different studies.  On various ocassions scientists reference both studies when referring to ZMapp.

I understand what you are saying.  

I’ve been searching and looking.  Some scientists say the virus can become airborne some say it is not.  Some are reputable; some I don't recognize.  But, in my humble opinion, isn't it a bit presumptious to state that all scientists who refer to the Canadian study and scientifically assert it can be transmitted thru the air are conspiracy theorists?   :)  Can you direct me to a site whereby Dr. Kobinger actually states his report is flawed or outdated?  I just cannot find that.  What I do see are statements he makes stressing confusion over the 2012 report since the strain of Ebola researched and tested on the two species is not the same virus making humans ill . . . and that there remain unknowns about the differences between monkey model and human infection regarding airborne particles.  The strain used to infect monkeys in the 2012 study is not the same strain tested in his 2014 follow-up research study.  That is what I see Kobinger to be saying and he admits there is much needed research before a definitive conclusion can be made whether airborne particles should be a matter of concern.  When scientists say: “there is no report so far of the latest outbreak of the Ebola virus being airborne, I understand that to be referring to the the latest outbreak and does not include other deadly strains.  My continued point is that there remains no conclusive evidence that the virus cannot become airborne as it relates to all deadly strains.  That is what I also understand Dr. Kobinger to mean.  

Have a good evening, Brother Stavro ~

Edited by Mei

Perhaps where the confusion lies, is that one or both of you are reading articles regarding the research but not the actual literature posted in the journal of infectious diseases.

It is possible that reading some of the blogs, and not the actual research conducted that there have been some translation errors by the author of the blogs.

You can use Google Scholar, as well as Web of Science to drill down to the pertinent information.

Most often the best journals are not open access and contain a stringent peer review process.

Just a thought. Can we cite the journal the information comes from? That way we can dissect and all be on the same page.

Went to grocery store I saw the big fire truck pulled up out front and ended up behind the firemen in line to checkout. The cashier asked how they were doing and one said he was on his way to check on a man with high fever and stated he was scared of getting ebola actually. The checkout lady asked if he was wearing the protective gear and he said yes. They were having a meeting to prep first. She wished him well.

I can't imagine how stressed some are depending on what line of work you are in right now. I just read a report of how that over 80% of US citizens feel that they could get ebola right now since the latest nurse that contracted it has been around so many people from all over the US. Sad how one selfish act can harm so many people.