JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ebola Spreading :

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3439 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

No none of the healthcare workers were stuck with needles, had sex with, or spit swapped.

But they have had direct and extensive contact with the contagious bodily fluids, and all it takes is one slip to rub your eye with an unwashed hand.

Where does it say surfaces? Don't forget this factor...

One of the tv news reports mentioned that it could remain on surfaces for several hours and if wet could remain active for several days. The CDC does not have a handle on it yet, so one must error on the side of caution but not hysteria.

Edited by lynn

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

The basic touch of a glove on the cheek of the healthcare worker gave her ebola...no mucus membrane contact here.

Exactly, a physical touch of the skin to a surface (the glove) containing a bodily fluid.

This still doesn't give any credence to the notion that Ebola is airborne and can be transmitted without close contact.

I don't think it is the full definition of airborn but I do feel like it is contagious to be without facial covering around ebola patients because of the symptoms they have of coughing and sneezing, sweating, as well as surfaces with contamination...it is so easy to get if you are around someone with the disease that the CDC and other officials are unsure so they are wearing respirators. That is what I mean. Some keep saying it is hard to get but it all depends on circumstances, thus quarantining of all plane passengers. Hopefully no one else that has it will be selfish and go into public areas that's all it would take.

I don't think it is the full definition of airborn but I do feel like it is contagious to be without facial covering around ebola patients because of the symptoms they have of coughing and sneezing, sweating, as well as surfaces with contamination...it is so easy to get if you are around someone with the disease that the CDC and other officials are unsure so they are wearing respirators. That is what I mean. Some keep saying it is hard to get but it all depends on circumstances, thus quarantining of all plane passengers. Hopefully no one else that has it will be selfish and go into public areas that's all it would take.

And so far that seems to be the case  :bouncing:  YEAH!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

In the wake of a Texas nurse contracting Ebola from a patient, New Jersey hospitals are ramping up drills and training to better prepare their staffs to prevent any spread of the virus in the state.

I sure hope ALL hospitals are doing this!!!

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

The explanation I've heard is that the CDC wears respirators because they're often cleaning, which may throw droplets into the air (as was possibly the case in the pig study).

Every confirmed case so far has been through close contact with contaminated bodily fluids. Exactly how those fluids can transmit the virus (dried on surfaces, sprayed 12-18 inches through the air, etc) still warrants some study. But none of this gives any credence whatsoever to the original and verifiably false claim that the CDC Director "is now stating it could or could not be airborne".

Lol now they think that a yale student who was helping monitor the Liberian outbreak has caught it...And after he returned to the U.S. due to showing no symptoms. It makes you wander if this will turn out to be another false case or an actual one.

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

In reality, this is a, "learn as you go"' situation. Pestilence? Now this one is grabbing attention. The math says if it doubles in number, (which at this point, it is) it will reach millions! Now, whom do we trust?

Yes, some of us have died from it, but we know it will not wipe us out. But it could get pretty ugly before it is over.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

In reality, this is a, "learn as you go"' situation. Pestilence? Now this one is grabbing attention. The math says if it doubles in number, (which at this point, it is) it will reach millions! Now, whom do we trust?

Yes, some of us have died from it, but we know it will not wipe us out. But it could get pretty ugly before it is over.

Reminds me of Mark 6:20, "20 In fact, unless Jehovah*+ had cut short the days, no flesh would be saved. But on account of the chosen+ ones whom he has chosen+ he has cut short the days".

Hmmm, wonder if Ebola will be a factor in the Great Tribulation?

Stravo said:

"However, my point is that with an abundance of verifiable accurate information available, there's no Scripturally acceptable reason to repeat malicious lies (airborne Ebola) and anti-government conspiracy theories (CDC hiding evidence) as truth."

Stravo said:
"So far, the only "evidence" that the CDC is lying is the "fact" that the study  in Canada proved that Ebola is "already airborne."

Again, you are misconstruing my comments.  No conspiracy theories were laced in my prior statements.  Thank you for providing the links for which I actually referred, which also included the 2012 Canadian study.

First, I never wrote here that the government was lying about anything (not that they don't just as Sister Trina noted).  Second, my prior comments referenced the two strains: "Reston and Zaire" out of several (four) strains of Ebola that the Canadian scientists based and conducted their research - that two "species" were used for the study.  Third, the research produced evidence, as clearly reported in the ScienceNews link you provided, that the "macaques (one species) contracted Ebola when housed in cages near a pen containing piglets (second species) infected with Ebola.  The animals never touched." (parenthetical emphasis mine)  Your ScienceNews article also specifically reports:" The study [July 25, 2014] follows up on a 2012 report that raised concerns Ebola might be able to spread by air (SN: 12/15/12, p. 12)." (bracketed emphasis mine)  Your ScienceNews links also clearly states: "[t]he Researchers said the finding meant that the virus probably floated to the monkeys' cages as a fine airborne spray particles shed by the pigs."  The 2012 Canadian study, which is a link to your link, also reports: "The new study raises questions about whether humans can also transmit Ebola by respiratory routes, says Pierre Formenty, of the World Organization's Control of Epidemic Diseases Unit."  These excerpts are factual.  Finally, my prior comments were that "it could be" that the CDC (for good reason) did not ever refer to the 2012 Canadian study due to its obvious evidence.  Bear in mind, the July 25, 2014 study referred in your link is a bit difficult to read due to my lack of scientific microbiology and chemistry knowledge.  Be-it-as-it-may, the 2014 new study remains inconclusive about airborne particles. 

In any event, the scientific study by the Canadian researchers found evidence (as seen in your link) that the "Reston strain causes disease in macaques (which are used as stand-ins for humans) but has not been shown to make people sick."  (Bracketed emphasis mine) Yet, the "Zaire" strain was tested on the macaques and found evidence that had spread even though "a barrier prevented the animals from coming into direct contact with each other."

Bear in mind the 2012 study only included the research on only two strains: Reston and Zaire and not the others.  Scientists don't even know which strain has been brought into the U.S. or which "strains" might be coming.  Derek Gatherer, a viral evolutionary biologist, said about the study that "he doesn't think the researchers definitely demonstrated airborne transmission of the Ebola virus."  This just isn't good enough proof that it cannot become airborne. 

Simply stating what is contained in these researched documents and not encouraging anyone to panic.

Edited by Mei

I seriously doubt it. This is not the first outbreak.

It will run its course - as previous outbreaks of this have.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/history/chronology.html?mobile=nocontent

Soon .....

Finally, my prior comments were that "it could be" that the CDC (for good reason) did not ever refer to the 2012 Canadian study due to its obvious evidence.

They did not refer to that study because EVEN THE RESEARCHERS ADMIT THAT IT IS FLAWED.

We have many hundreds of Ebola studies, and thousands of real-world cases, all pointing to one result, that Ebola is not airborne. And we have one single study pointing to a second result, that Ebola might be airborne, or it just as likely might have been mist from cleaning the cages.

So far, the only people who cite that admittedly flawed study are those who use it as "proof" that "Ebola is already airborne", despite the fact that the researchers make no such claim. So is it really wise to repeat the false claims of known liars, and imply that the CDC is covering up "obvious evidence"?

No none of the healthcare workers were stuck with needles, had sex with, or spit swapped. It is contagious on skin and surfaces for a few hours, by sneezing, coughing expectorant, and sweat while the patients have high fever this is probably one of the biggest ways it is spread. It takes more than a regular disinfectant it must be hospital grade cleaner, or bleach and that I'd why the society has placed guidelines for bleach washing stands at halls in Africa to be used on the way in and out of the meetings.

Isn't that in the definition of being a nurse - they are people that touch spit, urine, feces, blood or other bodily fluids of infected people?  Nurses don't just touch surfaces.  Further, it's not simply touching the same surface.  Obviously there was some bodily fluid transfer.  If I have sweaty palms or maybe spit a little when I speak, or don't cover my mouth when I cough or sneeze and the droplets land on a surface that someone else will then touch.  There is still some contact with fluids.  

Swap spit?  How about a simple kiss on the cheek?  Will that transmit it?

Stavro said:

"They did not refer to that study because EVEN THE RESEARCHERS ADMIT THAT IT IS FLAWED. . . . "

So, in essence, the Canadian Research institute produced flawed results for which is the direct cause for people panicking? Right?  Got it.  Yet, theses Canadian scientists' ostensibly flawed research actually contributed to the development of the only Ebola serum/vaccine (ZMapp [also stated in my prior comments]) which ended up producing positive results.  Even the World Health Organization agreed to test and use ZMapp on humans in West Africa.  In fact, the first two American missionaries who were brought here from Liberia were administered the serum ZMapp, which produced positive results, and healed the two Americans.   Yet you are stating that the CDC disputes the Canadian scientists research?  It doesn't make sense, Brother Stavro.   

Edited by Mei

"IT is the end of the world as we know it!! According to the CDC - In just 60 more days it will be totally global and almost 25% of the world's population will be dead!!!"

RUN - RUN for your lives!!!

OR at  least that is how I heard it a few minutes ago on the radio.   :lol1:

Picture included:

post-272-0-42949000-1413499122_thumb.jpg

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Isn't that in the definition of being a nurse - they are people that touch spit, urine, feces, blood or other bodily fluids of infected people?  Nurses don't just touch surfaces.  Further, it's not simply touching the same surface.  Obviously there was some bodily fluid transfer.  If I have sweaty palms or maybe spit a little when I speak, or don't cover my mouth when I cough or sneeze and the droplets land on a surface that someone else will then touch.  There is still some contact with fluids.  

Swap spit?  How about a simple kiss on the cheek?  Will that transmit it?

That is exactly what I was saying yes, fluids are transferred via surfaces and air coughed/sneeze or whatever and the point was that it can be transferred in more than just touching your mucus membranes, it can be transferred via skin if you will look at the article I posted about the use of respirators by the CDC and other medical caregivers now it states the healthcare worker in Spain contracted it by her contaminated glove touching her cheek on accident...not in a sore, not on mucus...

It's amazing how Ebola has just taken over the news.  Few weeks ago, everyone was talking about ISIS on the news, now you barely hear about them.  It's all Ebola now.

It's important to remember where we are in the last days.  The last days will not be easy, there will be pestilence, food shortages, wars, etc.  Some of us may contract Ebola or something else,  but we have the hope of the resurrection.  So if Ebola or something else comes along, as much as none of us want to die, we know that if we do, Jehovah will wake us up.   No need for any to get all worked up over Ebola or anything else going on in the world, we know from the bible that this was going to happen.  

When my dad went to Israel in 2012, Iraq was threatening to bomb Israel.  My dad called me up at the airport when he was getting ready to leave, and I loved his words to me:

"Don't worry about me.  If for some reason I do not make it back, I have faith in Jehovah's promise and I will see you again very soon."

So yes, Ebola is scary, and I know I do not want to get it, but we have a commission from Jehovah, and that is to preach.  Best to focus our energies on that rather then wondering if we will get Ebola, or how Ebola is spread, or what the CDC is doing about it.  In the end, worrying and stressing out about Ebola doesn't help anything.  

A few weeks from now - the news will be running with some other "end of the world" story.

Personally, I think this is satanic propaganda (as it will no doubt lead to nothing earth shattering) so when the real "end of the world" message comes out - no one will take it seriously. 

All he has to do is get enough of the "Chicken Little"- "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" stories out there - with them ending in a whimper to dull the masses senses. ISIS, EBOLA, whats next?

Soon .....

Before you believe what you heard on the radio, I have a question.  Was it a republican/conservative news station?  The reason I ask is we have a station in TX that is all news/talk all day.  It's a Republican/Conservative/Tea Party station. All the hosts and their guests including their scientists have been scaring people like crazy on this station down here with their Ebola Talk. They are also using Ebola as a political tool, blaming it on Obama since he didn't block flights from Africa.  

I do not know what news station you were listening too, but if it's a right leaning political station, I wouldn't believe everything they say.

I have realized this is the case on any matter from media that is leaning towards this way or that, politically. They can downright lie if it suits their purpose. Global warming being an example. So we need to be careful. It is sort of like the Internet. Any individual that can get on it will spout whatever, and, perhaps if it caused great confusion, that may have been their goal. I know I used to trust the TV show, "Sixty Minutes", until I heard Leslie Stahl downright lying regarding a child custody case that involved us. Now, i sort of watch things in passing. There is a saying, about believing, I think, half of what you hear, etc. With Internet and Photoshop, it all has the potential of being light entertainment!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!