JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ebola Spreading :

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3440 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Can you direct me to a site whereby Dr. Kobinger actually states his report is flawed or outdated?  I just cannot find that.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/airborne-transmission-ebola-unlikely-monkey-study-shows

The study follows up on a 2012 report that raised concerns Ebola might be able to spread by air (SN: 12/15/12, p. 12). That study, led by infectious disease researcher Gary Kobinger of the Public Health Agency of Canada, found that macaques contracted Ebola when housed in cages near a pen containing piglets infected with Ebola. The animals never touched.

The new study, published July 25 in Scientific Reports by Kobinger and a different group of collaborators, found no evidence that sick macaques could give the virus to healthy monkeys through airborne particles.

But, in my humble opinion, isn't it a bit presumptious to state that all scientists who refer to the Canadian study and scientifically assert it can be transmitted thru the air are conspiracy theorists?

I have as of yet found no reputable doctors or scientists who seriously refer to the 2012 pig study. I've found plenty of disreputable conspiracy bloggers, talk-radio shows, and news shows interviewing "doctors" with no verifiable credentials (AKA: actors), but never by a reputable medical institution.

If the strain currently found in humans is currently airborne, then there would be many many more sick people. Instead, nearly every case has been traced to direct contact with infected bodily fluid, and NONE have been found to be caused by an airborne transmission. If there was even a hint that the current strain might be currently airborne, why would the CDC sacrifice one of their own by sending them on a plane ride with an infected patient with no protective gear whatsoever?

At the moment, the talk of Ebola becoming airborne is like a discussion of an asteroid hitting earth. Is it possible? Theoretically, it may happen at some point in the distant future. Has it already happened? Obviously not, otherwise there would be widespread destruction on a scale we've almost never seen.

When scientists say: “there is no report so far of the latest outbreak of the Ebola virus being airborne, I understand that to be referring to the the latest outbreak and does not include other deadly strains.  My continued point is that there remains no conclusive evidence that the virus cannot become airborne as it relates to all deadly strains.  That is what I also understand Dr. Kobinger to mean. 

And this is where the confusion lies.

We're discussing the obviously false claims that the strain of Ebola currently found in humans is already airborne, and you're discussing the extremely remote possibility of a future mutation in strains not yet found in humans at all.

All you have to do is watch the first 10 minutes of this video folks to know what really is going on.

Especially at 10:50

Keep in mind that this video loaded March 26, 2013.

Well there you go. We don't need God's Kingdom to cure any diseases - including ebola. We just need to take vitamin C. :wink:

Drink plenty of OJ peeps and you have no fear. :lol1:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

It looks like the people quarantined will all be released and that none contracted this VERY contagious disease although in close proximity for 4 DAYS (not 4 hours) while Mr. Duncan was contagious.

From USA Today http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/19/ebola-quarantine-ends/17443059/

The good news for Duncan's family should also reassure Americans about a fact that public health officials have been emphasizing for weeks -- that Ebola is not spread through casual contact -- said Robert Murphy, director of the Center for Global Health at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.

Although the West Africa outbreak of Ebola has a 70% mortality rate, the virus is actually not very contagious in the early stages of disease when people are most likely to circulate in the community, Hotez said. Ebola doesn't spread through coughs and sneezes, only through direct contact with bodily fluids.

Even then, people aren't contagious at all until they begin showing symptoms such as a fever. Before symptoms appear, levels of the virus in their blood are too low to be measured, Hotez said.

Yet Ebola is frighteningly infectious at advanced stages of the disease, when the virus begins multiplying out of control and patients begin producing large amounts of diarrhea, vomit and blood. At that point, even a tiny amount of blood is teeming with Ebola, which puts nurses and caregivers at high risk, Hotez said.

Few people in the general community are exposed to Ebola patients who are that contagious, because patients at that stage are usually too sick to move around. Most are hospitalized if a bed is available. In West Africa, patients who can't get to a hospital are bedridden and typically attended by relatives.

Yeah! :bouncing:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I really feel that this illness will be controlled with the new regulations that have issued, and thinking about this in the sense of bible prophecy we know that the Anglo American world power will be the final world power and this would not be possible with an epidemic of this sickness as we have seen the president has cancelled several peace talks due to handling the control of this very issue. So although we should not be careless in daily activities we can start relaxing at this point because there have been no continual contamination cases. I'm looking forward to seeing the president catch up on the talks he has missed during this time too.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/23/health/new-york-possible-ebola-case/index.html

NY doctor recently back from West Africa tests positive for Ebola, officials confirm

A Doctors Without Borders physician who recently returned to New York from West Africa has tested positive for the Ebola virus, becoming the first diagnosed case in the city, a law enforcement official briefed on the matter told CNN.

The doctor, identified as Craig Spencer, 33, came back from treating Ebola patients in Guinea about 10 days ago, and developed a fever, nausea, pain and fatigue Wednesday night.

The physician, employed at New York's Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, has been in isolation at Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan since Thursday morning, the official said.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Slight side point but I was watching a comparison of how Ebola is being reported around the world and the difference between the US and everywhere else is hilarious.

Here in Europe it is being reported as a serious problem but one that should not overly concern people even if local cases are reported.  Facts on transmission methods are presented.  A level of balance is maintained.

In the US it's like end of world, especially from Fox and the other right wing news sources.  I believe it is Bill O’Reilly who wants the country locked down as far as entry to people from West Africa is concerned.  From the way I have seen the cases in Texas reported it is heavily sensationalised.

What do the Americans on the board think?  Do you think the media over there is hyping things to much?

Headline on Daily News/U.K. this morning:

New York Ebola doctor's fiancee and TWO friends are quarantined amid fears he gave them deadly virus: Potential victims in isolation - and there could be more after he spent SEVEN days riding the subway, bowling and traveling in Uber taxis

Dr Craig Spencer (pictured left), who returned to the U.S. ten days ago from Guinea, was admitted to Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan on Thursday. The doctor (right in his protective clothing) was taken to the hospital from his home in Harlem after developing an 103F fever and nausea. Dr Spencer reported feeling sluggish on Tuesday but only developed a temperature on Thursday. Last night, the doctor, who had been self-monitoring his symptoms, took an Uber cab to a bowling alley in Williamsburg. His girlfriend Morgan Dixon (inset) is being quarantined as a precaution.

Slight side point but I was watching a comparison of how Ebola is being reported around the world and the difference between the US and everywhere else is hilarious.

Here in Europe it is being reported as a serious problem but one that should not overly concern people even if local cases are reported.  Facts on transmission methods are presented.  A level of balance is maintained.

In the US it's like end of world, especially from Fox and the other right wing news sources.  I believe it is Bill O’Reilly who wants the country locked down as far as entry to people from West Africa is concerned.  From the way I have seen the cases in Texas reported it is heavily sensationalised.

What do the Americans on the board think?  Do you think the media over there is hyping things to much?

Yes, American's over hype everything.  That is because American's believe America is the most important country in the world and that anything that happens in America is more important then anything that happens anywhere else.

Also, November 4th is the midterm elections. It will decide who has control over the more powerful house in government here - the Senate. Currently, the Democrats (the same party as the President) control it - as they have a majority. Bit it is by a slim margin.

If the Right (or Republicans ) can get the nation to not focus on the recovery that IS happening, but instead focus on this and manage to blame the President and his party for this "outbreak" (which 4 people don't really qualify as an outbreak) - they have a good chance at winning enough seats for them to get a majority.

This is more about politics than peoples lives. And as Fox news leans WAY heavy to the right - ...

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/24/health/ebola-nurse/index.html?c=homepage-t

She beat Ebola. Now she's eager to resume a normal life -- and reunite with her dog, Bentley.

Nina Pham addressed reporters Friday at the National Institutes of Health hospital in Bethesda, Maryland, shortly after doctors announced that she was free of the Ebola virus.

"I feel fortunate and blessed to be standing here today," she said. "Throughout this ordeal, I have put my faith in God and my medical team."

That was the headline on CNN. Meanwhile no mention of it on Fox news. Instead this:

post-272-0-04118000-1414168317_thumb.png

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

LOL!!

Also, November 4th is the midterm elections. It will decide who has control over the more powerful house in government here - the Senate. Currently, the Democrats (the same party as the President) control it - as they have a majority. Bit it is by a slim margin.

If the Right (or Republicans ) can get the nation to not focus on the recovery that IS happening, but instead focus on this and manage to blame the President and his party for this "outbreak" (which 4 people don't really qualify as an outbreak) - they have a good chance at winning enough seats for them to get a majority.

This is more about politics than peoples lives. And as Fox news leans WAY heavy to the right - ...

LOL!!

Or if the left (the democrats) can continue to tell everyone pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! Everything if under control! The wizard will talk to you in a minute! You can keep your doctor!! We only let non violent offenders loose, gun running what gun running, at this point what difference does it make!!

Tomatoe tomatto There all crooks folks!!! They work for Satan!!

Or if the left (the democrats) can continue to tell everyone pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! Everything if under control! The wizard will talk to you in a minute! You can keep your doctor!! We only let non violent offenders loose, gun running what gun running, at this point what difference does it make!!

Tomatoe tomatto There all crooks folks!!! They work for Satan!!

Yes, Satan is truly the man behind the curtain. May Jehovah take full control with His Kingdom - SOON!!!

Soon .....

Ebola now in New York

I have abola ...  abola yogurt with granola and fruit - and I didn't have to go to NY to get it.

(not to make light, but the extremely over inflated WW hype does not equal the seriousness of West Africa)

Edited by timpin

A massive Stock market crash is much more likely than Ebola spreading everywhere if you were to believe what people discuss.

In fact many analysts are expecting a huge crash (even up to 50%) perhaps within days. Is this true? 

We have no idea until it hits (It is being talked about as a likely scenario.) 

http://www.moneynews.com/MKTNewsIntl/stock-market-crash-warren-buffett-indicator/2014/10/03/id/598461/

http://www.moneynews.com/MKTNews/Market-Collapse-Finance-Stocks/2013/03/01/id/492699/

http://www.arabianmoney.net/us-stocks/2013/05/22/warren-buffett-ready-for-a-stock-market-crash-with-a-record-49bn-in-cash/

http://investmentwatchblog.com

So what will hit first? :) Ebola or Economy or something else to make folks squirm in fear. 

Lots of fears and terrors but we know for a fact what is actually going to happen when Jehovah steps in and THAT is the best news ever.

Faber doesn’t hesitate to put the blame squarely on President Obama’s big-government policies and the Federal Reserve’s risky low-rate policies, which, he says, “penalize the income earners, the savers who save, your parents — why should your parents be forced to speculate in stocks and in real estate and everything under the sun?”

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.Moneynews.com/MKTNewsIntl/stock-market-crash-warren-buffett-indicator/2014/10/03/id/598461/#ixzz3H5aOs01B 

Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

This is one of those sources. My only thought here is - do you see a pattern?

If you are interested in just facts - without the spin - this is a good source ( http://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/net/ )

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

This is one of those sources. My only thought here is - do you see a pattern?

If you are interested in just facts - without the spin - this is a good source ( http://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/net/ )

I just grabbed some links to make the point. The point is there are lots of fears being discussed on all kinds of subjects. Terrorism, Disease, Money etc etc etc.

My insight into the above comes a wee bit more directly. ;)

Edited by Mykyl

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any real and reliable news on this issue? In my opinion, the media is being awefully silent as of late.

There was like a 35% increase in cases in West Africa between 19th of October 2014 and 29th of October 2014, and I have heard of no new numbers since then (roughly 10.000 cases on 19th Oct and 13.500 cases on 29th Oct)

What bothers me is that the german media reported on October 29 "GOOD NEWS! Fewer Ebola cases in Liberia". I went to check the new numbers and realized 1.) yes, there were fewer additional cases relative to the previous 20% jump in numbers that had been reported a few days earlier and 2.) there was a huge increase in Sierra Leone.

I don't know how the media is reporting this in the USA, I notice there's a lot of fear-mongering going on there. But I get the feeling over here that this topic is being swept under the rug most of the time. I really don't know what to think of this Ebola thing. I mean in all honesty, 13.500 cases in like a half year is not much! But still it's the indirectly proportional growth that concerns me along with the fact that the media lie so much about it. First, Ebola is not contagious (I wonder why USAMRIID and CDC experiment on this virus in such high-security lab environments in that case...). Next thing you hear is you can only get it through direct contact. Then they say yeah you can't pass it through aerosols (coughing)  but only up to three feet. Now it's officially 6 feet.

I'm tired of looking for the information on the news because it isn't accurate, and I hate looking for it on blogs because they're trying to sell you snake-oil. Anybody have a real news source concerning Ebola? One that is more up-to-date than Wikipedia?

Cargo ship entering port in Florida from Freetown is the only information I have heard on the Ebola. They mention numbers in the written article and their procedures for several ships that enter ports from the sea. Interesting information, no new cases noted as of yet. And they wore the full hazmat outfit entering the boat to get information...I think it is under control here in the US, but Africa is another question...hopefully they end this cycle soon for all those suffering.

http://www.my65orlando.com/story/27180160/cargo-ship-from-ebola-stricken-sierra-leone-bound-for-port-canaveral

I think it is under control here in the US, but Africa is another question...hopefully they end this cycle soon for all those suffering.

Much the progress in Africa came through Doctors Without Borders, and I can't imagine many more doctors will be signing up now that the official "welcome home" package is being forced to wear paper scrubs, in an unheated tent, with only a bucket for sanitation.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/inside-controversial-ebola-quarantine-tent-26478903