JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ebola Spreading :

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3439 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Why would they need to contact all the people on that plane if it is only contracted by personal contact, obviously they are concerned about surfaces here.

It's very unlikely, if not impossible, that she had personal contact with everyone on the plane. However, it is very much possible that she had personal contact with at least one person on the plane, so they're contacting everyone so they can seek out those few who did have contact with her.

The family of the first US patient did not contract Ebola, despite sharing an apartment with him for quite some time. So realistically speaking, few if any on this plane are at risk at all, but if they're not monitored, there's no way to be completely certain that the virus hasn't spread once again.

Makes sense, and they are not sure about ebola yet here. I need to stop thinking about this for a while because it gets me going and I don't think we should worry about it so much. There will be sporadic outbreaks here and there but with all the money and work they are putting into this it should be able to be contained in small groups. The majority of us should not need to worry about it.

Mt 6:34 So never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties. Each day has enough of its own troubles.

This is from a brother on another website.  Interesting observation.

It's not all that bad. Planes don't expose everyone if the virus is not airborne (which apparently it's not). Let's make some assumptions:
- If each person manages to infect 2 others
- If the average incubation time is 4 days, as we've seen by these reports;

Then we'll see about 8 cycles of infection in 32 days, or 2^8 or 256 cases. (November 12th)
At the end of 2 months, there will be 65,000 cases. 39,000 will die. (December 15th)
At the end of 3 months, 16.7 million cases. about 9 million would then die. (January 17th or so)

This is assuming a consistent geometric progression based on each newly infected person infecting 2 other people.  We'll have to see how all this plays out now that we know one of the infected individuals flew to Cleveland while having a fever.

Edited by Shawnster

I'm saying that the conspiracy theorists are maliciously misquoting the study.

The study itself says "The design and size of the animal cubicle did not allow to distinguish whether the transmission was by aerosol, small or large droplets in the air, or droplets created during floor cleaning which landed inside the NHP cages (fomites)."

This does not indicate "proof" that Ebola has mutated into becoming airborne, regardless of what conspiracy theorists keep repeating.

According to the real scientists, who followed up on the earlier 2012 study involving pigs and monkeys:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/airborne-transmission-ebola-unlikely-monkey-study-shows

"Monkeys do not pass Ebola to one another through the air, researchers report. The result confirms observations of human outbreaks: Infection with the deadly virus requires contact with bodily fluids."

"Even if pigs can transmit the virus by air, they may be unique in the ability. The new study, published July 25 in Scientific Reports by Kobinger and a different group of collaborators, found no evidence that sick macaques could give the virus to healthy monkeys through airborne particles."

"The researchers placed two rhesus macaques infected with Zaire ebolavirus in cages near two uninfected cynomolgus macaques. The animals couldn’t touch, but no special shielding protected the uninfected monkeys. The infected monkeys died after six days. Meanwhile, the cynomolgus macaques remained free of Ebola for the entire 28 days of the experiment, well beyond the six to 16 days it takes for symptoms to appear after catching Ebola."

There's a lot of misinformation about Ebola floating around right now, and we can't believe everything we hear. Case in point, even major newspapers have repeated, as fact, the obviously fake "Ebola zombie" story.

You continue to misunderstand my prior comments. It seems you might be so overly concerned about the outside world panicking that you are overlooking the accuracy of some things being stated and feel the staunch need to defend the need not to panic.  (That's not to state that I may not have made clear some of my comments.)  Some here are even bringing in to this discussions political discussions by Republicans and conservative talk shows.  Fact: People are going to panic, especially with such a deadly disease coming into the U.S.  And, at this point, no scientific institute can actually educate the world on how not to since there is so little factual and scientific information about Ebola in this nutty world.  That stated, that is merely a simple comment and am NOT encouraging anyone to panic.  I will, however, commend you and others on your noble efforts to attempt to calm people who might be "panicking." 

My other general comment was about the Canadian scientific study(ies) that led to the development of a vaccine for “Monkeys,” which is a positive thing here. 

The only reason you might have felt compelled to include in your last paragraph the “case in point” scenario about Ebola zombies is because you don’t know me well enough to know that I do not, without a doubt, believe everything I read.  Some scientists even try hard to convince people Big Foot, the Loch Ness Monster and Chupacabra are real.  Please know that I have a bit more integrity and am not as naieve than that, Brother Stavro. 

Edited by Mei

I apologize if I misunderstood your intent.

However, my point is that with an abundance of verifiably accurate information available, there's no Scripturally acceptable reason to repeat malicious lies (airborne Ebola) and anti-government conspiracy theories (CDC hiding evidence) as truth.

Sure the government lies, but not everything it says is a lie.

How do you know if it is or not - well look at other evidence - scientific and logical.

If this were "airborne" and floating around for long periods of time on dust particles - then how is that none of the 80 people being watched that were near patient #1 are coming down with Ebola?  http://www.fox44.com/news/us-ebola-case-80-being-monitored-dallas

Or patient 2 for that matter?

Why are there many scientist stating it is NOT "airborne" but rather transmitted via droplets that do NOT last a long time in the air (other than the short length of time of a sneeze)?

So, science and logic helps us to know if what is being said is true or not.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

So I have a question...are you saying that the government never lies?

So far, the only "evidence" that the CDC is lying is the "fact" that the study in Canada proved that Ebola is "already airborne".

But as already noted, the actual study made no such claim, and a follow-up study completely disproved any notion that Ebola could be airborne, so any rumors that build upon that study are not only baseless, they're outright lies.

Beyond that, I feel that any baseless opposition and criticism of the government is a violation of our Scriptural command at Romans 13:1-7.

Let me explain why I ask...

https://www.google.com/search?q=definition+of+research&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

The CDC has changed their views on what is acceptable for healthcare workers to wear as barriers, if they are changing their directives while dealing with the disease they are not sure of what this disease is capable of. This disease, so far, is not airborn in the sense that it does not survive as spores int he air floating around for days, but partial definition of it being transmitted through the air for so many feet makes it airborn. Have you ever seen the OTC medication for the common cold called airborne? This is for the common cold which is spread the same way...do you see the comparison? Thus some get the cold virus right away while some it takes a while longer.

Let's face it, facts are facts,they are not sure about this disease and they are scared as well...they keep changing protocols because they do not understand what they are dealing with.

I find nothing unscriptural in researching and investigating all reports to find what is real and not real, and since the CDC and health professionals keep changing their treatment processes we see that there is nothing for sure yet.

Government agencies often give in to public demands.

And in this case increasing safety measures - that may not need to be increased - is not such a bad thing, eh?

But, it is not "proof" that now this disease is being transmitted through the air (other than being sneezed on by some one contagious). 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Same with colds, there is always some who will get the virus first, then some later, and a few may not get it at all especially if they have antibodies.

First, no one has antibodies to a disease they or their parents never had. No one in the US has antibodies to this disease other than the one patient cured already.

Second, some get it later - yes, but in this case ONE has gotten it (AND she was a nurse without proper equipment on and handling his bodily fluids). That is not the same thing - right? 

Soon .....

The CDC has changed their views on what is acceptable for healthcare workers to wear as barriers, if they are changing their directives while dealing with the disease they are not sure of what this disease is capable of.

Yet they, and many internationally recognized institutions, continue to claim that Ebola is not airborne, and that it would take a significant amount of time for it to mutate and become airborne, assuming it could even so so at all.

Even under the 'sprayed droplets' definition of airborne, there has as of yet not been any known cases of a human contracting Ebola in this way. The single study involving pigs suggested (but did not prove) that it is theoretically possible in pigs, but no other studies have ever found the same results, nor has any similar evidence been observed in this or any previous Ebola outbreak.

Edited by Stavro

There are more than one who have gotten the disease from particles or touch while in medical care setting so far, the second person was identified yesterday and she went on a plane and now more people are being watched. I still do not think that we need to panic over this, but I do feel that we are still learning and that we should be posting what we learn even if like has already been done, it is proven false. In my opinion the test is irrelevant to our current situation because it was not the actual strain that humans get it was not on humans and there are a few different strains that they have encountered and they are all different responding differently to medications and also how the are carried or transmitted. We have from what I have found the lesser of these strains(which is good news). There are antibodies to this strain which they are giving to the patients in the form of blood transfusions from survivors.

Please understand I appreciate the fact that government authorities are in their relative position allowed by Jehovah and I respect that but the bible makes it very clear that these governments are run by Satan and who is he? The father of the lie. So in my opinion we have to be careful labeling it unscriptural to state the obvious.

Please understand I appreciate the fact that government authorities are in their relative position allowed by Jehovah and I respect that but the bible makes it very clear that these governments are run by Satan and who is he? The father of the lie. So in my opinion we have to be careful labeling it unscriptural to state the obvious.

If there is reason to believe that the government is lying, then by all means expose their lies.

However, in this case there is no evidence whatsoever that Ebola has mutated to become airborne among humans, and the only ones claiming otherwise are those who spread many other lies on a daily basis.

We don't need to venerate every word the government says, but at the same time we shouldn't stand in opposition to them on baseless grounds.

I agree that we should not be in opposition to the governments and I don't see that happening at all here. I can't see one post on here in any way saying that. I can tell you that in my opinion that the government is doing all that they can to try to contain this disease and as quickly as possible and I feel that they have done well so far, it is evidenced that they underestimated how contagious this is. It is evidenced that they are very concerned. It is evidenced that they are trying to keep the public from panic because many will start getting ready for conspiracy theory ideology or practices. However as God's people we have been warned of this from God's word and we will deal with it as we get more information and understanding.

Lu 21:26 People will become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

Isa 44:8 Do not be in dread, And do not become paralyzed with fear. Have I not told each of you beforehand and declared it? You are my witnesses. Is there any God but me? No, there is no other Rock; I know of none.’”

Not being airborn I think just means it will not travel through duct work and effect someone in another room or even in another part of the plane. You have to swap spit with them or have sex with them to get it. Maybe cut yourself and get blood on you from them. Its very hard to catch this and the Politians in the U.S. have done a very poor job of keeping their facts straight. 

I saw one senator state on TV something about further measures are needed to not catch this. Well sorry the Doctors and WHO have stated that current medical protection is more than adequate for this purpose.

Same old same old Governments over react and cause a mass panic when Doctors try and tell the fact and for everyone to remain calm. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

No none of the healthcare workers were stuck with needles, had sex with, or spit swapped. It is contagious on skin and surfaces for a few hours, by sneezing, coughing expectorant, and sweat while the patients have high fever this is probably one of the biggest ways it is spread. It takes more than a regular disinfectant it must be hospital grade cleaner, or bleach and that I'd why the society has placed guidelines for bleach washing stands at halls in Africa to be used on the way in and out of the meetings.

I agree that we should not be in opposition to the governments and I don't see that happening at all here. I can't see one post on here in any way saying that.

I was referencing the overall tone of 'if the CDC says it, it must be a lie'. Nobody has said that directly, but it has been implied with all the talk of "the CDC is wrong and Ebola really is airborne".

it is evidenced that they underestimated how contagious this is.

Two cases contracted within the US, both of which are healthcare workers who, according to some reports, had "extensive contact" cleaning up bodily fluids during a time that they were NOT wearing the CDC-mandated hazmat gear.

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article/Texas-dept-2nd-person-tests-positive-for-Ebola-5823538.php

As for the West Africa spread of Ebola, as noted earlier, the locals are literally attacking doctors and "liberating" patients from hospitals, and going ahead with their traditional burial practices. The virus isn't overly contagious on its own, but those in the hardest hit countries are practically rubbing their faces in the hazardous bodily fluids.